The Orchestra

CloakofCrow

(I guess this is the time for me to reveal the story about the hounds...)

Hounds have been around for as long as one can remember. Their simple goal in life is to survive, and to survive they need to hunt. Humans have labeled them as evil, blood thirsty creatures because of this reason, but when darkness came, everything changed. Hounds couldn't see in the night, and shades often came to manipulate them and use them to spread the night. Kalus used the hounds to benefit himself, and gave nothing to the hounds in return, only able to keep them using fear and insanity. When Disparel comes and starts to fight back the darkness, the wolves saw this as an opportunity. They took shelter under his rebellion and helped him in his cause. Disparel replaced their darkness with his own power (much like what's going to happen to Shana) and then used them similar to how Kalus did.

This particular hound is ancient, he was around when Kalus used them, and he was there when Disparel did the same. He was altered by the darkness, its effect irreversible, which is why he has a dark aura about him. The Beast is the leader of the hounds; he sides with Disparel currently because Disparel made them stronger. They are in debt to the Demon, and breaking their pact leads to harsh punishment. This has happened before, which is why he has the hint of fear in his eye at the mention of The Blood Prince, who is Disparel.

(The Beast is an ancient Varg, under the control of Disparel, and plagued by Kalus. Pretend Vennyle is telling this to Shana and that's how you're getting this information.)

Jakob nods.  "Pardon my friends here.  They have no idea how to talk like civilized people.  I'm sure they are very, very, very sorry for killing your kin."  He says, punctuating each "very" with a death stare and meaningful nod in their direction.

(I'm a little confused right now, so I'm going to assume that Shana sat down and is watching the others as Vennyle is explaining this to her.)

Shana sat and quietly listened as Vennyle explained the story behind the hounds, watching the events unfold with the other people. She was obviously a little sickened by the sight of the exploded hound chunks and the other dead carcasses. She felt helpless just sitting there watching events unfold. Even if she didn't know what she could do, she wanted to do something to help.

Edit: confused italics with the slash HURP A DURP DURP

Edited by MenaAthena

(Yay, you assumed correctly!)

"Do you see the terrible things people do now Shana? Everybody has some form of darkness within them, the world needs to be cleansed; be it through death, or rehabilitation. Those hounds did nothing to deserve this, it sickens me as well..." Vennyle and Shana sat upon the red sofa, gazing into the ornate mirror, seeing through the eyes of the ancient hound as it teased with the humans.

Vennyle was particularly interested in Jakob, for he resembled Disparel in more ways in one.

She saw Wunan as neutral, his trickery could benefit, or harm their cause.

Ethel was balanced, but she felt darkness had already taken hold to his soul and it would be difficult to cleanse him.

Bonnie was a threat, the darkness has already taken a deep root within her and she was capable of using it for destruction.

Then she glanced at Shana, who lie comfortably on the sofa with a disgusted look on her face. She had grabbed her quickly, before darkness and the other humans had time to dirty her mind. She was satisfied, for her trickery and persuasion had worked, and the slow path of turning her into a weapon against Kalus has started to unfold.

"Bonnie? Bonnie!"

Holly,(Who had tripped, and lost her footing a few feet back.)Finally caught up with Bonnie. She examined the scene around her, torch burning in hand like a light slowly dying, yet staying strong. She waved it around to better lighten the scene, and it illuminated with it's crackling orange light the defeated hounds, as well as those who fought them.

"What's going on? What happened? Who the bloody hell are all of you?"

(Holy ship guys. I leave for one day and you guys do a bunch'a fun stuff. ;~;)

Opal watched as her new friend ran towards the sounds of the noises.

"What do you think, Onyx?" she questioned

>"What do you mean, and... Onyx?"<

"Yea, you keep talking about 'the stone that binds us together' and:" she added impatiently "You never gave me your name."

>"Fair enough, but you didn't answer my first question."<

"I meant, about... Ethel, was it?" she pondered "Should we follow him?"

>"It'd be dangerous, reckless, and outright foolish of us to do so."<

>"Which I suppose means it's exactly what we're going to do."<

With a smirk, she replied "You got that right."

She turned to the direction of where he had run, hearing sounds of conflict, fires flaring up, death screams.

"I think we'd better hurry."

She ran through the wood towards the direction her friend had gone with an odd sort of agility about her, she glided along the ground, passing over natural obstacles that would've tripped up even the best of runners with ease, coming upon the grisly scene, illuminated by a lone torch carried by someone she didn't know, combined with the last embers of an apparent fire, noticing her friend among the mishmash of various characters.

"Hey! Ethel! Do you know any of these people? What the hell happened here? What's up with all the fire?" she glanced at the dark beast that seemed to be the metaphorical, and literal, elephant in the room. "And who's monster dude over here?"

"All I know is that suddenly I'm being told I'm awful for saving some lives. Just stay back."
Ethel slowly puts away his spear,trying not to cause any sudden movements. He draws his tome, which is constantly switching between the black and gray cover.

The ancient hound's presence has forced Ethel's balance into neutral, causing him to not have his magic. If he were to get away from the hound, Ethel might be able to cast some of his dark magic. Or, he could switch to light magic, which would be strengthened by the ancient hound's presence.

Ethel focuses on knowledge he needs, and the cover of the tome turns into a pristine white. Ethel opened it to the table of contents, and searched for creatures. He quickly found the species description for the hounds. Ethel closes his book and sighs.

"Apologies for the misunderstanding. I can see now what tensions caused these problems. May I ask for your name?"

Edited by Will

The beasts gaze shifted towards Holly and Bonnie, their torches quickly dying. As they approached, the area around them became darker; not a scary darkness, full of hate, but a sad one. "Why who do we have here? More humans? I've never seen so many in one place before outside of a village!" The creature seemed surprised, but quickly focused back to the others, "I'm an ancient varg human with the book, I am named solely based off what others wish to title me..." The hound disregarded the statement about tensions causing problems as the gibberish humans spout when frightened. Even though the creatures eyes were motionless, Jakob could feel it look over at him. "You are truly interesting fire wielder, why don't you follow me? My master, Disparel, rules in a kingdom of flame, an infinite amount of power at your disposal. He could train you to be a master with the flame, even greater than your already superior use with the element. He can make you a Devil."

Edited by CloakofCrow

(You know, if you have to resort to deception to turn someone to your cause, perhaps it isn't as just a cause as you thought.)

"You're going to help them, right? You said you'd take the darkness out of me and the other people and help us get home. If they knew about all this maybe they wouldn't do things like that anymore..."

• Like 2

(Not humanoid wxps, Look! A drawing of the wolf thingy from Over the Garden Wall!) not mine...

the_beast__by_grindy_low-d86ngwf.png

"Don't worry my dear, we try to help everyone that comes here. But sometimes their bodies and minds are incurable. At that point it is best to let their souls free from their blackened hearts. Everything happens for a reason, be it small or large. You don't want to see what happens when we try to cleanse someone who has been touched by Kalus." She grimaced when she said that, obviously pained by something that happened, "It is for the best, you don't want to see what happens when darkness takes hold of them either..."

Edited by CloakofCrow

The hound found Jakobs statement amusing, nobody compared to Disparel. "Well if you change your mind, the seer will contact you... But now lets talk about everyone's debt to us. You've killed around twenty of my brethren now... I want to know what everyone thinks punishment should entail."

Edited by CloakofCrow

Wunan stepped forward, shrugging slightly. "I started it, I guess. When your, er, brethren retaliated against me, these... Fine folk came to help me out. They're not at fault here." He pressed the staff into the ground before him, almost leaning on it. He still seemed rather casual, considering the situation.