The Orchestra

CloakofCrow

"Y-You... died? then... does that mean I died, too? Is that where we are? Some... purgatory?"

Ethel stares at the ground silently, and then turns.

"You can follow me if you need a place to stay. I have a fire and some straw mats."

(Kinda actively.)

Wunan hesitated, then yanked a hair from his head. He placed it in his palm and blew it off swiftly. In a blur of white and orange, it evolved into a replica of Wunan, staff and all. The clone carefully trodded towards the noise, picking up a burning twig from the fire as a light source.

The clone approached the scene first, for it was the closest to it. A tallbird shrieked as a pack of around six hounds circled around it. A hound ran towards it and leaped, locking its maw around the bird's thin leg. The tallbird tumbled to the ground over its nest as the other hounds descended upon it.

The hounds yelped as the two attacked them, surprised there were people out in the dark. The tall bird had a glimmer of hope in its eye until a hound chomped into it. Wunans staff smashed into the heads of the unsuspecting dogs and their yelps attracted the other ones to him.

Jakob's eyes open, moments before he would have gone to sleep.  He brushes hair out of his eyes, his skeletal fingers clacking together, before he stands up and walks over to the window.  He pulls it open.  Among the sound of the cold wind blowing through the trees, he also hears the sound of barking and screeching in the distance.

He grabs his broadsword, summons another globe of fire, and hops out the window. 

A flying object intercepted Jakob and followed closely in front of him, "Where are you going sir?! It's dangerous out there, I highly discourage this!" Turners voice said, "But I have no power over your actions, so don't blame me for your death..."

Edited by CloakofCrow

"I'm terribly sorry, but this observation drone isn't weaponized, returning to village..." A computerized voice stated, then switching back to Turner's, "You better come back safe Jakob, I didn't waste resources on you for nothing..."

Another hound ran in from the forest and snapped the leg off Wunan's clone, a hint of satisfaction disappearing as it dissipated. The hound standing atop the dead tallbird growled into the night, and shortly after, a deep haunting howl pulsed through the moonlit darkness. A couple hounds cackled and jumped around in excitement at the noise, others whined and ran into the forest out of fright. Whatever it was, it must be dangerous.

Edited by CloakofCrow

Ethel's head jolts up as he hears a roar in the distance.

"Opal, follow me or stay by the fire. It's your choice. I'm going to investigate!"

Ethel runs off in the direction of the roar, pulling his tome out. In his adrenaline, he doesn't notice the cover turn black. Ethel bursts through the trees into the clearing where Wunan is fighting the hounds. Ethel opens his book instinctively as he sees the hounds. He turns his head to see Wunan.

"Are these things dangerous? Did they make the roar sound?"

Edited by Will

(Now Shana is the only one left out :roll:)

As the companions brazenly converged on each other, a single Varg emerges from the forest with two hounds following it. The creature looks around and sniffs the air. The other hounds regarded the Varg, but kept cackling as a deep, ominous growl resonated from deeper in the woods.

Jakob reaches the clearing, and pauses near the treeline.  He notes the two other people - so, there were others here as well - then looks over to the hounds.  He sees two reddish hounds, then smiles grimly as he realizes what they contain.

(I dunno, it would make sense for at least a few fire hounds to still be around...)