The Orchestra

CloakofCrow

"I know not the hounds intentions, I don't think it would bring him here though." Vennyle watched where everyone was going, tracking their movements and gathering information. "You can stay here and watch if you want. It will be day in a few hours so you can sleep some more if you wish."

Chapter Two

Conspiration

"It was born from the dark, its soul becoming twisted and fragile; dwindling and dying in the onslaught of the night. The human form is frail and death comes quickly, but the spirit is stubborn and it clings to life like a child to its mother. So in a way, man was not orchestrated to be slaughtered, fear of the darkness is what lets us live. Take that away, and life becomes harder to hold. Yet a shadow who would die for something has nothing to fear, for death simply becomes a stepping stone to its goal."

Behold, the first of my puppets. (Warning: Sad?) 

“Hehehe, Daddy, look what I made!” two children, boy and girl, were jumping up and down trying to get their father’s attention. Alan was with his wife, comforting her as she lie in bed. “Our children want you Alan; you better see what they want,” she insisted. Alan squeezed her hand and kissed her forehead, “Stay in bed,” he said, “Try to get some rest.”

The older child, around six, had a paper airplane in his hands, aimed towards the window. The younger one was hopping excitedly, yet intently watching as her brother poised to throw. “Daddy, I made a paper airplane. Watch me throw it!” Alan nodded and smiled as the boy closed an eye and positioned his hand on the paper. With a violent thrust, the airplane flew through the room and zipped out the window. They all ran to the window and leaned out to see it fly. The white of the plane reflecting sunlight as it whirled through the air like a dove. “Wow. That flew pretty far!” Alan complimented, “Do you want to play a game? How about we all make a paper airplane, throw it out the window, and see whose goes the farthest?” They both happily obliged.

After lots of paper crinkling and giggling, they all had an airplane constructed.

“Are we throwing it out the window Daddy?” the eldest asked.

“Where else would we throw it silly! Our house isn't that big!”

“But wouldn’t the wind blow them in different directions and alter the results?”

the younger one questioned.

Alan smirked at his daughter’s intelligence, “I guess you’ll just have to get lucky.”

The three made final preparations for the flight. Bending parts, aiming, positioning their selves. “Ready? 3…2…1… THROW!” The airplanes launched out of the window and began their journey, flailing in all different directions; father, son, and daughter, sprinting down the stairs. The boy tripped and slide down the steps, Alan helped him up, checked to see if he was ok, and they both lumbered out the door.

They ran outside to see a black car pulling into the dirt road, crushing an airplane under its tires. The daughter obviously distraught about it, grabbed her own airplane and ran towards her father. “The evil car killed your airplane,” she cried, burying her face into her father’s chest. “It’s alright; you guys go inside and entertain your mom now, ok?”

The children looked up at their father as he nodded and slowly walked inside; glancing over their shoulders casting evil looks at the car. The vehicle turns to a stop as a plump, aged man exits with a suitcase and a somber expression on his face.

“Good morning Alan.”

“Mornin’ Doc.”

“I see the kids are having fun.” He said blandly.

The men stood for a moment, admiring the beautiful weather.

“Let’s go to the porch,” said the doctor.

The two men sat in the white wicker chairs positioned outward, creaking as they sat back. “Your wife has Tuberculosis.” Alan leaned back in his chair, watching as a paper airplane flew through the air. The man let the information sink in for a while. “You’re daughter does as well and it wouldn’t be surprising if you and your son contract it.” Alan sat for a long while, thinking about his family. “Here are the test results.” The doctor put a couple sheets of paper on a nearby table and walked back to his car, glancing over at Alan as he sat perfectly still. He backed up, crushing another airplane, and drove off.(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aF9AJm0RFc) <---- Listen and read for ultimate depression

One by one, each person became ill. Coughing up blood onto the covers of their beds, wheezing as their lungs deteriorated. Alan remaining healthy, watching as his family became sick. “Daddy, *cough* is Sarah going to be ok?” his son asked one night. “I’m not sure Ty… Just get some rest.” That night, his daughter didn't wake up.

Ty and his mother started sleeping in the same room together. Laughing, and making jokes the best they could. Just trying to keep their minds off of the sickness. At night, she would look at him sleep and stroke his hair, whispering, “It’s gonna be ok, Mommy won’t let anything happen to you…” Eventually, they both passed away in their sleep, together on the same night. Their bodies never being separated from each other, for Alan was long gone.

Alan trudged up a tall hill, with a rope and the crumpled test results in hand. The afternoon sun setting in the distance, the ocean barely in view. An old scraggly tree hung precariously off a cliff, empty bottles littered around it. “Hello old friends.” Alan set the rope down and opened the old test results, sighing as he looked at his blank entry. He folded the diagnostics into a paper airplane and let it soar into the sky, free from all the struggles of life, gently letting the wind push it to where it belongs. He tied the rope around the tree, watching the white airplane drift into the darkening sky. When he could see it no more, Alan put the rope around his neck, “Goodbye, old friend.” He let go, the rope tightening around his neck, a sudden jerk, and a snap.

This wasn't the end. It wasn't the snap of a neck he heard, but the snap of a tree branch. Alan broke into a roll, smashing his broken skeleton on every rock, slope, and root on the way down. He came to a grinding stop, broken, paralyzed, and gashed. Distraught in a period of shock, lying helpless on the ground as night approached. The paper airplane landed beside him, new words written upon it in a shadowy text, “Don’t worry my child, I can save you.”

• Like 1

Opal talked with a solemn tone, staring straight into Jakob's eyes "I bet you'd be singing a different tune if he had threatened to take you. Ethel had nothing but our best interests in mind, he wanted no business with creatures who deal in the lives and freedom of human beings. Likewise, I have no further business with you, just go do whatever the hell you do and leave me alone to find Ethel." Opal shoved Jakob to the side, and continued her walk forward, slowly slipping into the shadows.

Edited by Blazingice26

Jakob warps after Opal.  "I've been trained practically since birth to deal with creatures like the one that took your friend.  If I had been taken, I'd probably be enjoying a glass of fine Chardonnay with it at this point.  But that's besides the point.  Believe me, if you waltz up to that thing and demand that...Ethel be returned to you, you'll end up a pile of bones on the floor."

Ethel falls to his knees, finally free from the strange control the Varg held on him. Ethel slowly rose to his feet, looking around in all directions. He couldn't remember which way he had come from!

"Stay calm... just stay calm... I'm just in a dark forest all by myself with no foreseeable way out... no reason to panic..."

Ethel quickly takes out his tome, but curses when he sees it has become gray again.

"F**k! Why can't anything ever work out for me!?"

Ethel places the book back in his tome, and takes his torch out of his pack. He ignites it, thankful to have something to draw away the dark. However, the torch goes out soon after being lit.

"S**t. Let's try that again."

Ethel lights the torch again to the same result.

"God damn it!"

Ethel throws his torch into a bush, frustrated at how his situation refused to get any better. Hopefully that meant it refused to get any worse.

Opal paused with an annoyed expression on her face "Ugh... As much as I hate to admit it, you're probably right." Opal looked up to see the canopy of leaves that now covered the sky for miles around. "Still though. I can't just leave him to die." she turned to face Jakob "You've apparently had... "experiences" with these sorts of creatures before. Do you have any idea where it was taking him?"

(Just read Chapter 2 of that story... my reaction...

OWCH! Sssssss.... Right in the feels...)

Holly looked around, and realized she had completely lost her way from their campfire. Concern nawed at her mind. What if they get attacked by a predator? Forget foxes, this place had wolves! It was dangerous! What if they succumb to cold? Already she wasn't dressed for warmth, and she was getting chilly. She considered asking Bonnie, but what if she didn't know either? Well... worst case scenario, they go a night without sleep...

"Er... Bonnie? Do uh... Do you remember where our fire was?" She asked nervously, rubbing her left upper arm.

• Like 1

"Hmm... Well then." Opal pondered what to do for a moment.

"I guess I don't really have any other choice but to at least try to find him. I guess you probably have a house or a camp or another person to go to, but I haven't really got anything here." Opal stared into the unfathomable depths of the darkness that lie before her "But I can't just wander around in there I'd either get lost, killed, or both."

(Guh.)

Unbeknownst to Ethel, a certain hair that had drifted from Wunan's head during the initial battle with the hounds had taking the form of a man and followed stealthily behind the captive. As the man stopped, the clone did as well, watching as Ethel was distracted by something. Wunan's clone chuckled mischievously before stepping carefully behind Ethel and uttering a single word:

"Boo."

"Well, I might as well try and find him anyways, worst case scenario I get killed, and I've already died once before, besides, what could be in there that we couldn't handle."  She turned towards the forest, waving at Jakob as she walked into the darkness. "Oh by the way. If you want to talk again, try walking next time? The fire teleport thing is getting old." she said nonchalantly

Edited by Blazingice26