Dedicated Servers Closed Testing

• Developer

Hey friends,

I'm about to start rolling out keys to random users who requested dedicated servers over the weekend.   So you should start to see community hosted dedicated servers which have no affiliation with Klei.  We still have to smooth out the dedicated server hosting experience a bit more before the general release, but it's going to be really soon.

I'll be making an announcement post when the server files go live for everyone- including documentation and download instructions.

:victorious:

Excellent, thank you @MarkL,! Been looking forward to this, and I'm happy to hear it's now available in closed beta. I've seen a couple already in the server list, HYPE!

Any ideas, even loose and generalized, about how long it could take for this to maybe-possibly be open for the public? I imagine at least 3-4 weeks, but am curious if there are projections =)

• Developer

Excellent, thank you @MarkL,! Been looking forward to this, and I'm happy to hear it's now available in closed beta. I've seen a couple already in the server list, HYPE!

Any ideas, even loose and generalized, about how long it could take for this to maybe-possibly be open for the public? I imagine at least 3-4 weeks, but am curious if there are projections =)

Concerning servers you've already seen, I'm quite sure there are Klei hosted dedicated servers.

For now, @MarkL and the others developers are writing the documentation of the Steam Dedicated Server. I tested it on Linux and it works well, so I think it will be available sooner than you think ;)

Awesome!Can't wait to host my dedicated servers and play with my friends! 

I've got a Linux box at home just waiting for the server files.

Thank you for the effort @MarkL.

You can already install SteamCMD (if you don't have an UI) or Steam on your server. The proper way is SteamCMD, but as you already know how to use steam, it can be easier for you.

@XirmiX, currently Klei has selected a few people to help test both the Windows and Linux dedicated server software. The exact date for the software to go public has not been disclosed as of this time. Rest assured that when it does go public it will be worth it.

Concerning servers you've already seen, I'm quite sure there are Klei hosted dedicated servers.

For now, @MarkL and the others developers are writing the documentation of the Steam Dedicated Server. I tested it on Linux and it works well, so I think it will be available sooner than you think ;)

You can already install SteamCMD (if you don't have an UI) or Steam on your server. The proper way is SteamCMD, but as you already know how to use steam, it can be easier for you.

Thank you for replay! My problem is, the server cann't run DST, so i need console APP(dedicated server file) to host a server

• Developer

Thank you for replay! My problem is, the server cann't run DST, so i need console APP(dedicated server file) to host a server

That's why I said "you can already install SteamCMD" ;)

You'll have to install it in order to download the server files :)

• Developer

How will we be able to tell if the dedicated server is still just using server files on one's own computer? Cuz those pretty much defeat the purpose.

I don't think you can know that :/

It's understandable that a player wants to host a server for his friends without being in the game at anytime. And join when he wants by running the client, but the performances will be worse than just hosting the server in the game directly.

One idea may be to allow players to set a comment on a server, or to blacklist some of them. This way, if you don't want to play on this kind of server, you can just add it in your Blacklist.

How will we be able to tell if the dedicated server is still just using server files on one's own computer? Cuz those pretty much defeat the purpose.

If a server can run the game well (as a "good host") and has a low ping to you, it really shouldn't matter if it's in someone's own computer or a rented VM. I see no reason to discriminate both kinds.

Though if your concern is uptime, this is a more general issue. A way of announcing (or alleging) a server's uptime schedule would be handy for users.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fisXRmdTR54

Seriously, if you want a key, you can buy the Frontier Pack. Or check the key depot, I'm sure something is over there... but my advice is don't find keys over $5.00.

He meant key for dedicated server access, not the game.

There are many people wanting to test and try it out - including me (tho I don't have any server to test it on but would love to mess with locally).

A friend of mine is really interested in behind able to setup a dedicated for DTS, he would love to get a key and wouldn't mind sending you crash/issues reports.

He have a windows dedicated he use to let us play together on multiple games.

I also have a Linux dedicated in case it doesn't run on windows.

I posted in the other thread, but just in case it gets lost in the fray, I'd certainly welcome the chance to test a dedicated server.  I run a network of gaming web sites and  have experience setting up and running Linux services on the Internet, and I have a lot of experience as a Windows system admin as well.  If you have enough testers, I'll just wait for it to be released.  Either way, I'm pretty stoked, as my buddies have basically only being able to play our shared games when I'm around, and I hate having to time when I take bathroom breaks to when I know I won't die of starvation, hunger, or hound attacks.  ;)

Archived