Jumping spiders are insane!

Alright, on the topic of Spider Warriors, Spider Economy, and Dealing With Nests...

Being a man who plays Half-Life, I quickly recognize the headcrab-esque leaping pattern, and adopt my Gordon Freeman strategy:

Screw endurance competitions with the jumpy ones. Battle no more than 2 Spider Warriors at a time. Use your ASWD keys, rather than your mouse--Move in a STRONG circular pattern, about two pigs distance away from the spider, then attack it as it finishes its jump, which should miss, presuming you moved correctly. Do not try to run 'away', so much as run 'sideways'. A walking staff or road will help you amazingly with your dodging.

If there are a large number of lesser spiders, kite the hunter to jump ahead of the group, and attack it a couple times when it misses, keeping in mind that they can still melee, and make the same attack expression to do so.

If a Warrior is accompanied by one or two lesser spiders, instead of focusing on the Warrior first, dodge it, and smack the lesser spiders to death one at a time. You only need to get in one hit with impunity, to stun the spider, then repeat the process--don't get greedy. Once the lesser spiders are cut down, repeat your dodging maneuvers.

When you have separated a warrior, either via kiting, or due to infighting between the spiders and other mobs (usually pigs), kill the hunter by focusing in three to four repeated attacks, either before it aggros you, or after a dodge. You will need about six spear hits to kill one hunter, so you 'will' need to dodge at least one melee attack. Thankfully, hunters prefer to melee when you're close up, so you shouldn't need to worry about getting jumped at after a successful strike.

When you have provoked 2 or more warriors from a nest, keep in mind this useful fact: spiders 'despawn' when they return to their nest, which means that spider nests don't TRACK the number of warriors that have returned to them, and will sometimes replace them with normal spiders. You can keep 'rerolling' spiders, until a safer number of warriors (none is always my favorite number) spawns, and pick off spiders one by one, until their numbers dwindle. Spider count in a nest only increases a couple times a day, so with vigilance, you can deplete a spider nest and collect it.

There is little reward to fighting warriors, beyond immediately removing them from a battle, so don't pick fights with them that you can avoid.

When you deal with spider groups containing no warriors, the best move is just to let their numbers dwindle, pick them out in small groups of three or less, and hit the front member of the group once, then run, let the rest strike, and repeat. Two tentacle spike hits, three spear hits, or six torch bops will kill a normal spider. And you don't have to lay them all down in one strike.

Don't burn spider nests--huge waste of resources. You're better off just letting them mature to Queen stage, then letting the Queen move on--it typically downgrades the nest from a single 3 to one or two 1's. Queens are not particularly aggressive, and there's little profit to fighting them (but plenty in letting them spread their nests).

What you DO want to do is MOVE the nests. The biggest inconvenience to a player is multiple spider nests clustered close together. This is because hitting one spider near any particular nest summons the majority of it's denizens in one big wave--INCLUDING those from other nests. A single nest on its own is MUCH easier to deplete and harvest. If you absolutely feel the need to burn a nest, burn a nest that is close (but not within burning distance) of at least two other nests, in order to more easily separate the rest. Finally, kite spiders a GOOD distance away from nests, before you strike them. This prevents massive swarms, allowing you to usually deal with only 3 regular spiders at any given time. All you need to do is step on the creep, and let the group hiss at you before running off of it.

Spiders are highly profitable. This is because they die quickly, and drop Spider Gland, which repletes your health from combat with them, as well as easy meat and ever-needed silk. Simply avoid living too near spider nests (a short walk away is fine), and farm them during the daytime, when they retreat to sleep in their nests. If you build four or more pigmen houses in the creep of the nest, you can even find glands and silk just lying around from the pigs' inevitable combat sessions. Hell, you can even pick out stragglers while the pigs make a meal of themselves.

You are only limited by your imagination here--get exploitative!

Edited by KimonoBoxFox

I spot a single spider, strayed away from the nest at night?Torch out, six whaps. Bop, bop, bop. Bop, bop, bop.D E D. DEAD.But yeah, Warriors are a different story. You have to be more elusive, and bring a bigger stick. I don't fight those at night. I usually only bother fighting them at all when I feel time is an issue, and killing them would be more advantageous than 'rerolling' spiders (like when there's a lot of meat on the ground already that I don't want eaten).

Edited by KimonoBoxFox

I like how we nercoed a 6 month old thread.

You're very much welcome for the Threadcromancy. Having served your demonic purpose, you may now return to the forum hell from whence you came. I'm going to go eat tacos with **** now, peace. ^^

Brings back memories, you hit the nest 3 spider warriors jump at you at the same time, and finish you off in few hits.

The first thing I learned not to do, when dealing with spider's nests. Not a nest is touched before it passes the "I step on the web nothing comes out" test. XD Edited by Toaster Fu

iof there is a jumping spider coming at you.. run straight down, then as he jumps move left or right..it can be done running left or right then moving up or down to dodge as well.the directions have to be orthogonal if you try to go diagonal you will get hit.then you have to move in quick and stunlock it before it comes again.if there are black ones with him go for those first after dodging him...they are insane especially when there is more than 1 but they seem broken right now.

Spiders are highly profitable. This is because they die quickly, and drop Spider Gland, which repletes your health from combat with them, as well as easy meat and ever-needed silk. Simply avoid living too near spider nests (a short walk away is fine), and farm them during the daytime, when they retreat to sleep in their nests. If you build four or more pigmen houses in the creep of the nest, you can even find glands and silk just lying around from the pigs' inevitable combat sessions. Hell, you can even pick out stragglers while the pigs make a meal of themselves.You are only limited by your imagination here--get exploitative!

I prefer to fight them at dusk, they all come out and wander around, then you can pick off a few that get separated, and all the others come at you but you can usually get a few as they come before the big cluster comes. then run away and come back.a dusk and night they all leave the nest unguarded, you can even attack the nest itself and they ought to change the ai to make the spiders that belong to the nest defend it but for the time being, they don't defend their nest.the worst is when i go for a tier 3 and i almost have it and it suddenly turns into a queen.and sometimes the tier 1 that a queen leaves behind will pop up to tier 2 within 30 seconds of it being left there, i have had it happen where i lure the queen away then go for it and hit it 5 times then it pops to tier 2 and warriors come out

The first thing I learned not to do, when dealing with spider's nests. Not a nest is touched before it passes the "I step on the web nothing comes out" test. XD

I was talking about spider warriors from the Spider Queen update time. They all jumped at the same time, were faster and stronger.

Now you can rarely see them and they don't require any special strategy.

Some protest against birdcage fix in signature?

i was on a 30 day kick and wanted to get some webs, The jumping spiders got me D:. And=y good way of taking them down"?

Go close enough for them to jump then immediately run up or down to avoid their attack, they have a cooldown between each attack so they won't be able to attack you for like I believe 2-4 seconds, then just get in and mash them to kill them.

Now jumping spiders are nothing... You can simply farm out a spider den lvl 3 with just an axe. Go in the net, lure the 3 spiders a bit away so that you don't alert the den and kill them.Repeat this again. When the spider den loses normal spiders the warrior spiders inside just turn to normal spiders. No spider warriors anymore... yeah so insane. :)The only insane thing is, that they got nerfed like hell.

Edited by Shin

Jumping spiders are ****, ruined the game, I hope they realise their mistake and remove them or at least make them much less powerful. It is now impossible to take on a nest. IMPOSSIBLE

Its not impossible i destroy teir 3 nests without a sweat i have no problem with the jumping spiders

Its not impossible i destroy teir 3 nests without a sweat i have no problem with the jumping spiders

Well, as with many things in the game, if you take the time to analyze and come up with a decent strategy, you can get along without getting hurt.

I was talking about spider warriors from the Spider Queen update time. They all jumped at the same time, were faster and stronger.Now you can rarely see them and they don't require any special strategy.Some protest against birdcage fix in signature?

I leave Spider Queens alone altogether--their heads always decay too fast for practical use, and they just make another level 1 nest when left alone anyway--easy enough to deal with.It seems like the End is Nigh update has nerfed the jumping attack of Spider Warriors into nonexistance, which is kind of disappointing.My sig is actually a spoof of the lines from Bioshock Infinite's opening, which is in turn based on the Dayenu Passover song. If anything, I feel like the birdcage needs further nerfing, to limit what the bird will accept in return for laying eggs... I can continuously preserve my food supply with them, just by forcefeeding them spoiled eggs over and over to get new ones.

Any time I stumble across a tier 3 spider nest I make it a point to camp until the next morning and then spend the entire next day doing the trip and trap to clear it out before smashing it. Never even have to see the jumping spiders.The problem is when you find where a whole bunch of nests have spawned close together.

Edited by rrgg

Guys, before you call out "Spider Warriors are insane!" you must realize that as of The End is Nigh update, Spider Warrior's jump is broken! They initiate their jump but the distance traveled is always equal to 0.As for when they actually attacked before, it's easy to counter. Just run sideways and a little forward something like the circular motion KimonoBoxFox mentioned (but you don't need the circular motion, sideways with slight diagonal is much more specific) from the direction they were jumping at you and you've dodged them. This can work for multiple Spider Warriors.I want to see Spider Warriors going out of the nest at night. It's not fair that so many tactics in the game can make you avoid Spider Warriors at all. I'm at Day 139 at my world and I avoided all Spider Warrior combat except those of the Spider Queen.

Edited by Seriphos

Guys, before you call out "Spider Warriors are insane!" you must realize that as of The End is Nigh update, Spider Warrior's jump is broken! They initiate their jump but the distance traveled is always equal to 0.

Keep in mind also, when this thread started. They've been through a couple nerfs and bugs since then. But yeah, the only truly absurd thing about Spider Warriors is accidentally spawning 3+ from multiple directions, then having to run for your life. Even I occasionally die to that now and again... just encourages you to be more careful and sneakeh.

It'll be nice when they get fixed.

I prefer to fight them at dusk, they all come out and wander around, then you can pick off a few that get separated, and all the others come at you but you can usually get a few as they come before the big cluster comes. then run away and come back.

a dusk and night they all leave the nest unguarded, you can even attack the nest itself and they ought to change the ai to make the spiders that belong to the nest defend it but for the time being, they don't defend their nest.

the worst is when i go for a tier 3 and i almost have it and it suddenly turns into a queen.

and sometimes the tier 1 that a queen leaves behind will pop up to tier 2 within 30 seconds of it being left there, i have had it happen where i lure the queen away then go for it and hit it 5 times then it pops to tier 2 and warriors come out

The problem with Dusk/Night attacks is when your goal is explicitly to farm the spiders (the more profitable action), rather than break the nests. Because multiple spiders pop out and wander, you're much more likely to draw overwhelming numbers into aggro, and it eats time to try and kite them all, when you could manage one nest, three spiders at a time, and quickly kill them all off by stepping on the webbing to trigger a small, kite-able search party.

Moreover, fighting at night mandates either firelight or a torch held in hand. Now, if you were to tell me you preferred it simply for ridding yourself of the things, I'd accept that... they sure aren't very smart about protecting their nests. Of course, when I do this, I usually rely on my pigmen as a distraction, rather than wait for night... and I mainly only do it to remove tier 3 nests, when I'm ready to put away my spider farm for the year. I occasionally do this when maintenance is required, and I don't want the hostile spiders distracting me at dusk, or when I feel the spider nest placements are too close together...

Or when a queen lays a new nest too close to another, so I can let it mature, while farming it, then get it out of the way as well.

Edited by KimonoBoxFox

Guys, before you call out "Spider Warriors are insane!" you must realize that as of The End is Nigh update, Spider Warrior's jump is broken! They initiate their jump but the distance traveled is always equal to 0.

NU-UH! WRONG!

I once stood next to one for like half a day! It reaches you eventually!

I don't know if it has been mentioned already in this thread, I have not seen it, however there is a way to tackle even Tier 3 nests without provoking Warrior Spiders.Don't over think it with tooth or bee traps, the warrior spiders only come out when you openly attack spiders around the nest. Instead lay some rabbit traps around the rim of the nest and step onto the webbing. Lure them out and into the traps and repeat this process. A little effort but will net you eventual results, just be careful if the queen should make an appearance.You can also lure them away from the nests prior to attacking to avoid Warrior responses.

Hadn't thought about using traps, but then I'm never fond of those things. Guess they're a good way to ensure a damage-free raid, but I always thought that was why spiders dropped glands.One thing I'm learning though, is to avoid working in an area with queens close by--especially when there's more than one. They especially like to home in on Chester and try to murder him with a horde of lesser spiders, even if you don't bother them directly--it's really disruptive. Try to farm your tier 3 nests, and remove/replace them, before she appears, or else you may be interrupted by her nosiness!On the flip side, kiting into a queen is just the thing when you have a big hound attack coming... those poor things can't handle queenie and her kids at all!