I can't believe griefing is a problem already

if you still want to play with strangers you can probably set up a whitelist system, have people send pms to you and you decide whether to accept them into the server or not, most griefers wont go that far just for 1 server

how about a simple rating system (players will either say a person is bad or good) then the server host will have a threshold for who can get into it. for example. a person burns down a camp. then the other people on the server vote him down. he would then have 3 down votes and 0 up votes. he would no longer be able to sign into a server that requires a 3/2 ratio for up votes vs down votes. (should be simple code if someone wants to start working on a mod. )

how about a simple rating system (players will either say a person is bad or good) then the server host will have a threshold for who can get into it. for example. a person burns down a camp. then the other people on the server vote him down. he would then have 3 down votes and 0 up votes. he would no longer be able to sign into a server that requires a 3/2 ratio for up votes vs down votes. (should be simple code if someone wants to start working on a mod. )

What about someone joining a pvp server, dies, gets mad at someone for killing him, 1 star.

I think they should do it like TF2/Minecraft. Police yourselves, hopefully with the help of future mods that can detect griefing/rollback servers if necessary. That, added with nifty admin mods.

Compared to other sandbox games, these worlds really won't last that long. They reach a point where there's nothing else to do other than marvel.

And this, dear people, is what I call "The curse of open multiplayer" .

There needs to be a "Group making" section of the forums (as previously suggested), as well as a "Griefer/troll report" one. this is indeed why I don't think I'll play public servers, or even play DST when it goes public, which makes me sad.

We will not be policing servers. But, things are being put into place that will allow you guys to have more interesting open games. But for now, it is good that you have conversations on what you think would be useful to those of you who host.

We will not be policing servers. But, things are being put into place that will allow you guys to have more interesting open games. But for now, it is good that you have conversations on what you think would be useful to those of you who host.

Oh, hey, Joe's here.

(key is a cool word, ammiright?)

- How can you judge that a player was intentionally griefing? Sure, being rude is easily noticable but there's still the rare occasion a report is send that convicts an innocent person. I think about the butterfly incident from The Letter W. She haunted a butterfly which set ablaze the entire base. Make a screenshot when she's floating there and BAM W became a griefer that burned the base down.

FEAR ME AH HAHAHAHAH

tumblr_static_laughing2.gif

-

Anyway. That's the thing. Unless you're actually listening to their thoughts, you might not know what people are doing on purpose. Some people (like me!) like to try everything new and have the worst outcome at the worst time. Other people might not be so adventurous and maybe when they do try something new, bad outcome, suddenly labeled as an instant greifer.

In my experience in online games with potentially random players (Team Fortress 2, mostly) arsehole players are a risk you take, and the best thing that can be done is the tools to get rid of them. It doesn't leave a mark on them for the next server they go to, but you can either boot them out of yours, or just leave the server.

While I mentioned I usually play passworded servers, I do have one that I host openly as well. (Haven't been usually though as I said, I disconnect a lot which can be infuriating to other people. If Don't Starve had the 20 second auto-retry thing in place, that'd be kind of neat too though. ) I haven't actually run into any griefers in it, the worst is just people who don't exactly know what they're doing, and that's fine. They can be taught.

Grr...I get enough griefers in Minecraft. At least there's a rollback command. But griefing will likely be a huge problem in this beta, as a rollback command would easily be abused by noobs. I can only say that I feel your pain, and hope a universal banlist gets put into place that prevents griefers from using any public server. The beta should be used to make this expansion better, not waste time by thinking griefing is funny!

-deleted for space-

But all that stops when you let the griefers win and you make private servers.  Dont let the griefers win.......

EDIT: Woo Hoo!   First post of page 2!  Bow before your page King!

My feelings exactly. I started up Widley's World with a 8 player limit and not a single person joined. I was tired and didn't really want to play, but I want to keep Widley's World open every now and then. Not a single person joined though, and I suspected it was because they all felt safer on private servers. 

I have not even had one griefing problem, but my world is vacant of players. I decided to start prepping for some other Don't Starve things instead of running the server. It will return each new phase to get some new players to visit, but I don't want to play 40 minutes by myself because everyone is playing with their friends elsewhere.

I want Widley's World to become a fun public server for anyone, and I have some ideas on how to do that, but my public server audience has disappeared. I think I have a better chance at making it private and advertising the password in the server title name.  :shock:

My feelings exactly. I started up Widley's World with a 8 player limit and not a single person joined. I was tired and didn't really want to play, but I want to keep Widley's World open every now and then. Not a single person joined though, and I suspected it was because they all felt safer on private servers. 

I have not even had one griefing problem, but my world is vacant of players. I decided to start prepping for some other Don't Starve things instead of running the server. It will return each new phase to get some new players to visit, but I don't want to play 40 minutes by myself because everyone is playing with their friends elsewhere.

I want Widley's World to become a fun public server for anyone, and I have some ideas on how to do that, but my public server audience has disappeared. I think I have a better chance at making it private and advertising the password in the server title name.  :shock:

will widley's world be a proper dedicated server when those are a thing?

will widley's world be a proper dedicated server when those are a thing?

I want to make it dedicated.

I am currently taking a college IT essentials class, so as a little project for myself, I want to manage a server for a indefinite period of time. Hopefully a long time, but there is something else I want to attempt to make my server stand out. It is a secret though because I may or may not follow through on it.

...8 player limit and not a single person joined. I was tired and didn't really want to play, but I want to keep Widley's World open every now and then. Not a single person joined though, and I suspected it was because they all felt safer on private servers. 

ACtually Ridley, I dont think your server has been appearing on the list.  I always look for it cause I haven't had a chance to play it since the first week.  In fact I thought you stopped doing Widleys world awhile ago or password protected it because I NEVER see it.

ACtually Ridley, I dont think your server has been appearing on the list.  I always look for it cause I haven't had a chance to play it since the first week.  In fact I thought you stopped doing Widleys world awhile ago or password protected it because I NEVER see it.

It hasn't been on lately. I think last thursday was when I was playing and no one would join. I decided to start on my secret project a little, and then a lot of things happened since then. Allergies, work, etc.

Knowing another phase of players would be coming, and that most others were on private servers, I decided to focus on the project. Everyone who told me they wanted to play didn't have a key yet, so I stopped feeling bad about waiting for the next phase since my project should make the server better.

My project is coming along, and I will try to run the server more once it is done. I want to have at least two main features. The first feature is almost complete I think, and shouldn't be to exciting for most people. The second feature, however, should be amazingly fun to use.

I keep rambling like a mad man instead of staying on topic with these posts. The short answer is that Widley's World is pretty much closed until another phase. The next phase players won't be shy of public servers I think.

I totally want to join Widley's World again, it's just every time I've checked it wasn't online, bad timing on my part. XD I'd love to see it become a dedicated server though, it was the first one I joined and still one of my favorites of the couple of other servers I've hopped onto.

• Developer

Hey folks,

Just wanted to pop in and give you a heads up about a potential solution we're currently looking into. Basically our idea is that when you ban (and maybe kick) someone, you'll have an option to roll the server back in time a little bit. Since kick and ban are generally reactive measures to a player behaving badly (i.e. burning up or stealing some valuable resources), this will give the host an opportunity to undo the damage done. If we find that it does work as a solution to griefing etc, it'll be tied to the ban (and maybe kick) so that it doesn't get exploited as a way to undo genuine gameplay mistakes (as opposed to an option always present in the not-paused menu).

Hopefully this makes people comfortable with hosting public servers again--a lot of the coolest stories I've heard have happened in environments like that. Thanks for all the discussion!

Hey folks,

Just wanted to pop in and give you a heads up about a potential solution we're currently looking into. Basically our idea is that when you ban (and maybe kick) someone, you'll have an option to roll the server back in time a little bit. Since kick and ban are generally reactive measures to a player behaving badly (i.e. burning up or stealing some valuable resources), this will give the host an opportunity to undo the damage done. If we find that it does work as a solution to griefing etc, it'll be tied to the ban (and maybe kick) so that it doesn't get exploited as a way to undo genuine gameplay mistakes (as opposed to an option always present in the not-paused menu).

Hopefully this makes people comfortable with hosting public servers again--a lot of the coolest stories I've heard have happened in environments like that. Thanks for all the discussion!

Rolling back is nice, after kicking/banning someone, players should drop important items, right now chester eyebone when they are leaving the server. Some private storage options other than character inventory would also be nice.

• Developer

Rolling back is nice, after kicking/banning someone, players should drop important items, right now chester eyebone when they are leaving the server. Some private storage options other than character inventory would also be nice.

Hmm, that's a good point: you won't be able to ban them if they come and snag something and then disconnect with it in their inventory. I'll have to think more about how to deal with that case.

Hey folks,

This is a pretty ingenious solution to what I saw as a fairly unsolvable problem, awesome!

Although it sounds like it would have to be tied to ban for it to not be exploitable. If someone is obviously griefing then you usually want to just straight up ban them anyway. Kicks would make it an easy way to roll back after **** hits the fan.

Hmm, that's a good point: you won't be able to ban them if they come and snag something and then disconnect with it in their inventory. I'll have to think more about how to deal with that case.

Just a lil' heads-up: We had some discussion about the important-item-snagging issue on This Topic!

For important items would be nice if the host could set a list of important items for the server.

Now for the rest just create something like whietlist, if the player is whitelisted then he can leave the server with important items in inventory if not he will drop the items when leaving.

Wont that item be restored, the same way a burned pile of wood would be? Or do Eyebones and sush items work in a different way.

Archived