[Gameplay] - Extreme Rubberbanding

Silentdarkness1

Bug Submission:

Category: Gameplay

Issue Title: Extreme Rubberbanding

Issue Description: I know this is kind of an obvious problem, but may as well give it real proper documenting.

The game rubberband-lags EVERYWHERE if you're not the person hosting the server. This is the "glitching backwards" effect people have noticed. Also, extreme, unbelievable irresponsiveness and glitchiness in things such as chopping down trees, collecting items from the ground, so on so forth.

Steps to Reproduce: There's no way you WON'T notice it after playing for a while.

Thanks @Silentdarkness1, came here to find out if this problem had been reported (I've got a list in front of me to check on, haha).

Same thing most definitely happening to me as well - my partner is the host, and has only noticed a tiny bit of lag, but more like FPS. For me, I can hardly even fight a mob, it's very unresponsive. Chopping/mining/gathering, I get the bounce-back and the slowness as well.

The temporary solution I've found for this is to chase evasive things (Gobblers, Koalafants) towards the host so they can initiate the attack. Once the thing focuses on them, you can all collectively beat the crap out of it for fun and profit. If you're going to try and kite anything else as a client, you're going to have to reduce yourself to one hit to even have a chance at not dying right away. 

Okay, i've realized what a good part of the biggest problem is. The ping fluctuates like a drunken sailor riding a tentacle during the perfect storm!

It goes from 150 to 99999

(thanks Hitler)

and back again. It's RIDICULOUS.

@SethR (not trying to sound like i'm picking on you) Now, I don't know what's going on here, some badly optimized netcode, packet loss, whatever, but I do now that under a normal set of circumstances, the ping shouldn't range between bearable and R.I.P Server 2014-2014 .

Okay, i've realized what a good part of the biggest problem is. The ping fluctuates like a drunken sailor riding a tentacle during the perfect storm!

It goes from 150 to 99999

I get huge amounts of rubberbanding just like you, but I've been watching the ping and it hardly fluctuates at all for me. A server with a 150 average usually ranges from 140 to 170 in ping, which is decent jitter.

• Developer

Hey folks, I know the rubberbanding is frustrating so I appreciate your patience as we iron it out. We're still collecting data on the worst case scenarios before we can do a serious pass on making it better. Even so, for folks experiencing extremely bad rubberbanding, it's likely that those servers will never be good servers for you to play on, even after we address the issue.

We'll also be adding a player status screen that you can open in-game to see how your connection is soon. The ping listed in the server browser is a best guess: we don't know what the ping will actually be until you're fully connected and in-game. For the in-game debug ping display, we're not doing anything to filter out outlier pings: a laggy server might sometimes ping at 100 when in fact your average ping is more like 500, which would explain the rubberbanding/lag spikes. We'll be improving ping representation when this screen comes online.

Archived