More resync conditions (on harvest, on hit)

I played for a bit on 23rd's server, and there was a bit of lag at times. The most problematic effect of this is rubberbanding, where you snap back to somewhere where you were a few seconds ago.

It seems like currently it resyncs when the client says it's a certain distance away from where the server thinks you are, which is fine, although I think the threshold could be lowered a bit.

Some other conditions where it would be helpful to resync would be when you're interacting with an object (e.g. harvesting grass -- many a time I would go to do this, have nothing happen, the walk a bit and rubberband back, revealing that I never even got to the grass), or when you take damage. Rubberbanding is actually the most problematic in combat-- I was trying to run away from a spider that aggro'd me and could never get away, because I'd keep rubberbanding and getting hit.

Hopefully when more people are in there will be more servers to choose from, and thus better average and less rubberbanding.

Edit: wanted to add a few things, below

Obviously the best case is we vanquish rubberbanding entirely, but my understanding is that a networked game model where rubberbanding occurs is one where it's not possible to eradicate entirely.

One other thing that might help users mitigate the problem is if there was an in-game ping readout, so you could see when network conditions have gotten bad and make sure you avoid troubling situations at those times. Maybe add it to the debug info? I just checked and it's already there! I'll definitely be keeping that up in the future.

I'll second this. Every night @rezecib and @Luxurious were telling me they had intense problems with rubberbanding. I rebooted twice, and it only seemed to stave off the rubberbanding for a few days. I'm constantly getting the mentioned issue of harvesting grass, only to not get the cut grass after several animation loops.

I was trying to run away from a spider that aggro'd me and could never get away, because I'd keep rubberbanding and getting hit.

THIS! Died twice by that alone! Kiting is impossible with rubberbanding, hell-not even normal combat is possible.

My friend a few streets away had no rubberbanding problems, but the friend a few states away had a lot of problems. I assume everyone who joined my server also had bad rubberbanding, though as the host, I never could see it happening to them.

Edit: Rubberbanding started happening to anyone I wasn't near on this "medium" (huge) map.

My friend a few streets away had no rubberbanding problems, but the friend a few states away had a lot of problems. I assume everyone who joined my server also had bad rubberbanding, though as the host, I never could see it happening to them.

I've been watching the ping and rubberbanding doesn't seem to correlate to it at all. I have less on a server with 50 ping than on one with 25... I've noticed it seems to get worse when I'm further away from the host character, though, so I'm wondering if it's more to do with the server implementation?

Edit: Have tested with pings ranging from 25 to 150 now, and no obvious difference in rubberbanding. With 150 ping, there were definitely large periods where things were pretty normal, just with a little delay (e.g. you can cancel the pick animation to start walking towards another plant, and still have it pop into your inventory after you've started walking--but this happens on every server).

Archived