Should Monster Possesion be a thing?

It's above. I think this would cause some mayor griefing but let's be honest, this'd be kinda cool. I mean I'd like it really. Like little Monsters,not Giants. Or maybe giants, when you are a ghost for too long (Atleast like 20 days a Ghost, because then the Teammate just wasn't focusing on it and the Ghost wants his Revenge) I could see this being a thing, because when your "Teammate" takes over your house, has the stuff to build a Meat Effigy or not, I mean 20 Days are really enough to build one, and you should focus on that, otherwise: " Unseen Consequences " But the  Giant will Auto-Attack when a Player would actually not attack the other Player when in Range. This would make it stable, but not too op. But things like Spiders and Bats should be accessible after like 5 days. And Bees after 2 Days or something like that, I think you get the Drill. And It doesn't have to be a thing that is in there, maybe a Option to turn it off or on. People might don't want that.
Well that's that, I hope you guys could answer with Reasons Why it should be implemented or why it shouldn't be implemented. I'd like to read every answer from everyone, every single Opinion (I'll try to.)
And also you could maybe change the Days you need to possess a Giant / Modded Creature.

That's it, cya
Herr8

While this seems like it could be very interesting, whats really the point? Ok you've killed your friend by possessing a hound. They're just a ghost now too? Game over? Do you get resurrected? If you get rezzed then thats good, but it really sets the tone for the rest of the game. Just you and the other players constantly killing eachother to be alive again, this works well in Crawl but I dont think it will for DST.

Pros: Adds a fun aspect to being a ghost

Revenge

Adds SOME inteligence to mobs

Cons: Giants will be abused

One Spider can destroy a base

Controlling then leaving the monster in their base making huge swarms

In my opinion I would enjoy this as an aspect, but it may be hard to implement and if implemented players should NOT have the access to giants.

Hmmmm... lots of balance issues will be introduce... not to mention the griefing possibilities... not sure if its worth it in the slightest. However possessing a pig and helping my friends might be kinda a cool. A merm even more so... but I think the griefing would out weigh the pros.

Why is this bold?

I wanted to provide emphasis to that thought. I would have a lot of fun taking control of any of the giants, particularly as the Dragonfly. It would be satisfying to be the apex predator in a game designed around making you feel weak or a part of the natural order to things. For once you have all the power in the world and can devastate all around you! Wouldn't it be so fun? (Atleast for a small while.)

That is why that line was in bold.

I wanted to provide emphasis to that thought. I would have a lot of fun taking control of any of the giants, particularly as the Dragonfly. It would be satisfying to be the apex predator in a game designed around making you feel weak or a part of the natural order to things. For once you have all the power in the world and can devastate all around you! Wouldn't it be so fun? (Atleast for a small while.)

That is why that line was in bold.

Ah I thought you were trying to say: "Hey buddy remember no multiplayer exclusive content!" But I was wrong!

Oh man. This is just an idea that seems like it could easily break the game in some ways ... but is just too fun to be unimplemented in some capacity.  It would need to be possible for only a small amount of creatures.  The one's that can't destroy everything easily.  

Ah I thought you were trying to say: "Hey buddy remember no multiplayer exclusive content!" But I was wrong!

If it was in single-player, it could still work in multi-player too. The cost of being able to transform into a giant would just have to be a very long and arduos feat to accomplish. Imagine how cool it would be to control a giant, even if it's just an allied pet! I would love it! YOU WILL ALL SUFFER MY WRATH NOW STUPID ANIMALS AND MONSTERS!

I am secretly a mad scientist.

yeah possessing the little creatures, being able to follow alive players while your a bunny with glowing eyes. to avoid exploits just make the ghost get kicked out of the bunny if the alive players walks too close. and the only way to help the alive players is by pigmans, but players will must give the possessed pigman food from time to time to keep the ghost possessing him.

possessing shouldnt be done to hurm the remaining players or revenge . And possessing giants shouldn't be a thing it would just make em seem silly. maybe in pvp though

I read through all of this, and I think a valid Solution would be that there is an Option to turn Giants on or off, passive mobs on or off or turn griefing the other Players when possessing a Giant / otherwise it would when not possessed.

And also, you can't unpossess a Monster till its dead. This would make things stable so they cannot lure mobs to the Player so the Giant would grief them in their normal Form.

And stuff like Pigmans or Bunnies might help the Player, maybe to speed up the process. Or Beefaloos or something, so they could help building the Meat Effigy in a... rather different way.

Hmm, I would really like this to be implemented, but it could use balancing.  Perhaps options to what ghosts an possess would be nice, and usually Klei likes an ability that it could help or hinder.  I wouldnt suggest them being able to damage terrain, but choosing what to attack and all would be nice.  And to balance the take a mob to your doorstep and leave issue, you could do 3 things.

-Cooldown until you can possess a creature again.

-Monsters that become unpossessed fall asleep.

-Players cannot unpossess until the monster dies.

Perhaps to possess a monster you have to construct both a meat effigy and some other expensive kind of magical item such as an altar. The monster has to be lured into range of the altar, and the meat effigy must also be inside of this range, along with a ghost player. The living player must then get the monster to be asleep, then target it with some other expensive item, and the ghost will possess the monster and the altar and meat effigy will be destroyed.

The monster could have rapidly depleting hunger, or health, giving you a time limit. The expense of the necessary items could be further tuned for balance.

In vanilla DST? No.

Now, if that was a mod...wellll...hehehe....that would be something else entirely. A mod I would support.

I don't know, if they could figure out how to balance it, I could see it happening.

That's just it. There is no real way to balance it without it either becoming not worth the bother, or being extremely illogical.

You mean like:

1) possess jackalope

2) jackalope runs away OR jackalope doesn't care OR jackalope runs towards the nearest thread OR jackalope launches into the nearest player and runs home again OR jackalope turns into beardling briefly OR....

3) ...

4) Profit! Of course not, that's literally what we try to avoid here

Archived