Should Monster Possesion be a thing?

That's just it. There is no real way to balance it without it either becoming not worth the bother, or being extremely illogical.

Actually, after lamenting on this, I believe I figured out a suitable way to implement this.

1.Ghosts can possess any creature BUT giants by default, but there config options on what you and cannot possess.

2.While possessing a monster, your ghost health slowly increases to its cap, but humanity decreases (as being an animal would have an effect on your pcyhe)

3.Ghosts can only make monsters aggro on things they would attack normally.

4.If the creature the ghost is possessing happens to die, the ghost's health drops severely.  The depossessing animation could be a bit lengthy as well.

5. Upon being depossessed, the creature falls asleep, thus adding the ability to help alive players and prevent spamming creatures.

3.Ghosts can only make monsters aggro on things they would attack normally.

Like I said. That's not entirely logical, imo. Really, I think that monster possession might be a bit much. Any balanced iteration would be too limited.

The purpose of being dead is less to help from beyond the grave, and more scrambling to find a way to get alive again.

My two pennies:

- Can only take control of Shadow monsters

- Can only attack those who have gone insane

- Can only be seen by those who are going insane

Has a few issues still, but the best option I've seen so far imo.

I think it work like this: you can posses anything that has less health than a certain number like 50 or 30, that way you could posses a giant but only have 50 or 30 health. If you pick something not so deadly like Chester or a mandrake you should have a faster regen but if you be a giant you have little to no regen

Is it just me who wants monster possession to be as unpredictable and random as possible and slightly draining humanity? SethR stated that haunting should have unpredictable results to guarantee balance and make intentional grief, as well as cheaty strategies, basically non-existant.

Well.. there are some good ideas to balance it but a Giant having 30-50 Health? That's... well too overpowered. Since two hits with a Spear - Down. Maybe, when you possess something you have your own little health and when the Players attacks the Giant (The Health from the Ghost gets added on, like 50-100 Health) And when Player  did 50-100 Health Damage,the Ghost gets kicked out of the Giant and the Giant will be paralyzed for 5 Seconds. (Something to show it off + to give the alive Player a bit of advantage). And the same would go with other Creatures, but the Health would get lowered. Like a Spider would get an Additional 10 Health , very easy to kick the Ghost out of the Creature.

Well.. there are some good ideas to balance it but a Giant having 30-50 Health? That's... well too overpowered. Since two hits with a Spear - Down. Maybe, when you possess something you have your own little health and when the Players attacks the Giant (The Health from the Ghost gets added on, like 50-100 Health) And when Player  did 50-100 Health Damage,the Ghost gets kicked out of the Giant and the Giant will be paralyzed for 5 Seconds. (Something to show it off + to give the alive Player a bit of advantage). And the same would go with other Creatures, but the Health would get lowered. Like a Spider would get an Additional 10 Health , very easy to kick the Ghost out of the Creature.

That's a interesting idea, the ghosts take "humanity damage" for getting hit whilst possessing. I'm not a fan of changing the creatures health though, at most the ghosts "humanity health" would act as a shield.

That's a interesting idea, the ghosts take "humanity damage" for getting hit whilst possessing. I'm not a fan of changing the creatures health though, at most the ghosts "humanity health" would act as a shield.

Let's say, the Ghost goes into the Giant / Monster, and the Ghost has let's say still a Humanity Meter of 50, then the Ghost goes in there,the giant gets no added health but the Ghost will be kicked out as soon as the Giant/Creature took as much damage as the Ghosts Humanity. The Humanity will also then lover from 50, let's say to 25 when they get kicked out, like -25 for normal Creatures and -50 for Giants. Also, when they reach 0 they wouldn't be able to revive anymore, or they will go insane as soon as they get reviven. That would be the best Solution probs.

Archived