Smallbird science?

Heat

Any small-bird science in progress?

I'd contribute myself, but I currently have little time and am waiting for them to hatch!

Anyone know: How many hit-points? How much damage? Do they eventually grow up into Tall birds? How long will it take? Will those tall-birds make nests?

So many questions! All I know is that they look absolutely adorable.

Can anyone illuminate me?

whelp, I can confirm that smallbirds will DEFINITELY come to your aid as best as they can... which isn't much.

When you take damage they cry out( most adorable battle cry ever) and they make a beeline directly for the offending party( in my case it was a tentacle).

Edited by qwerm

It was postulated on one of these small bird related threads that you might shoot your small bird with a sleeping dart to keep it out of fights. Goodness gracious, don't do that. I just tried it. Small bird does not fall asleep, only becomes enraged and tries to attack you. He doesn't do any damage but he's very persistent. A pan pipe calms him down and when he wakes up all is right with the world. But I had a couple scary moments when I thought I was going to have to kill my little guy.

How do you get the egg to rock? I tried just placing it on the ground but it just sat

you have to place it by a fire to start the process, then keep it AWAY from the fire during the day, and close enough to the fire at night so it's not too cold.

It was postulated on one of these small bird related threads that you might shoot your small bird with a sleeping dart to keep it out of fights. Goodness gracious, don't do that. I just tried it. Small bird does not fall asleep, only becomes enraged and tries to attack you. He doesn't do any damage but he's very persistent. A pan pipe calms him down and when he wakes up all is right with the world. But I had a couple scary moments when I thought I was going to have to kill my little guy.

well, that's about the most adorable thing i've heard of for quite some time, and it enlightens me towards means in which one can kill a smallbird, though mouse dragging the tool over the bird also works I believe.

Now I know, killing smallbirds is a mostly horrid idea, but krampii seem to love smallbirds, as killing them( about 3-4) is a fastrack to getting krampus attacks, which IN TURN, can potentially yield a better backpack type item at a very rare rate.

Afterwards, as of todays hotfix, you can then live like a saint for a period of time and krampus will leave you alone again.

Absolutely everything the smallbirds do is completely adorable. I have yet to draw a Krampus attack yet, (don't have the stomach to kill smallbirds to get his attention) but I'm killing pigs with impunity at this point to get one. For science!

this happened to me too. she killed the 5 I had out. argh.

I made a tent to change my character so Abigail won't be killing them. now the small birds wont react at all. kinda cute since Wendy was the one that hatched them...but still. I wouldn't have to change characters if Abigail didnt kill them

So... At day 160 I finally decide to start hatching a smallbird. Egg crackles and starts to sweat, so I moved it a little further away from the fire. Nice and rocking it lays there as I go to get another egg from the chest. And then a pigman walks pasts, promptly going; YUM!, as I have 4 Honey Ham on the grill. He chomps my hatching egg! AAAAAA!!! All those fine berries laying around didn't help me anything... I say we need a hatchery! Or an electric fence...

Also, I made a post in the bugs section in case this is something for review, but switching characters with the tent after hatching a smallbird seems to make them unfriendly, as they no longer follow you and hovering the mouse over them displays the "Attack" action. Alas, I don't have the heart to harm the little guy, so he's just merrily chilling in my camp after switching characters.