I think dont starve together is a great time for doors

Can we please pretty please with a cherry on top get doors it would make multiplayer more interesting maybe have a storage room and rooms for friends maybe locked doors maybe a cool idea like maybe you get to pick a 3 number code or when you craft the door you get the key that works on the door .

Doors would be quite pointless. Monsters would still have to be able to break through them to prevent

permanent absolute safe-zones. Heck, walls are themselves pretty pointless most of the time and I generally

just use them either for aesthetics or to pen in passive mobs.

Locked doors would also be pointless since we have sledgehammers. Unless they were

indestructible, which, aside from the afformentioned safe zones, would allow people to build

locked doors around where someone logged out, thus creating an inescapable trap.

Doors would be quite pointless. Monsters would still have to be able to break through them to prevent

permanent absolute safe-zones. Heck, walls are themselves pretty pointless most of the time and I generally

That's... exactly why doors would be great. I'd happily invest in a fortress if it served a purpose. Would be great for herding animals, too. As of now I just leave my base un-walled and exposed. The Pan Flute is by far the best wall I have protecting my base lol.

We already have them. Hay walls. Close them with grass, open it with a few knocks from a cane.

Alex, I'll take what are "Hay walls" for 200.

Protip: If you aren't playing Wes or Wendy, the cane "opens the door" in one hit.

But if that makes sense, you wouldn't make anything beyond a campfire. Why do you think the game has the science machines besides tiers of science or magic? It's because of the fact even Maxwell knows they can't escape the islands (i'm saying this because Adventure mode is the storylined campaign for this game) all the characters even know when they get to the island, they'll never escape. So doors would make sense just like XirmiX's idea on roofs, it may or may not make sense but it'll work.

Also, I agree with the ideas of both doors and XirmiX's roofs.

I've said it before: I think a gate would be more fitting than a door; Doors simply don't fit the walls... and they'd just look weird and out of place.

For goodness sakes - if the characters can make a fridge and a shadow manipulator, then why can't they perform the simple task of making a gate to let themselves through without knocking down a structure?XD

I could make one (albeit, poorly) given the right equipment!

It'd make things like penning beefalo, etc a much more realistic option instead of having to break down and rebuild a whole wall. Ain't nobody got time fo' dat!

I agree Doors should be in Don't Starve Together and Don't Starve. I've been searching for a better game than Don't Starve (same genre) on the steam forum. I have yet to find something that appeals to me. But the thing I like best is base building and every game I have searched had decent base building with...

*spoiler alert*

doors.

Maybe add stairs to add layers to your base.

I just need something to fill these gaps...make them 1 HP I don't care. As long as I don't need to hammer walls down each time I want to leave main base I'm fine.

Edit: they needn't serve any purpose other than aesthetics.

I think I agree with gates more than doors. But same function. 

Though I think smaller mobs (hounds and the likes) should be able to push them open as an occasional alternative to destroying them.

Gates....hmm....yes they will suffice.

I think a way to balance Gates (Yes doors are not even an idea in my mind) would be to make it so Giants/Bosses are able to just walk over them or through (and destroy) them (depending on which boss it is) and hounds are able to jump over them but in every other instance its treated the same way as a wall would be treated. Not only would that balance them and keep you not 100% safe but it would still have them be slightly useful.

I think a way to balance Gates (Yes doors are not even an idea in my mind) would be to make it so Giants/Bosses are able to just walk over them or through (and destroy) them (depending on which boss it is) and hounds are able to jump over them but in every other instance its treated the same way as a wall would be treated. Not only would that balance them and keep you not 100% safe but it would still have them be slightly useful.

I agree with the Giants part. But hounds should be able to attack gates and destroy them relatively easy (not jump over them). Basically any hostile monster should be able to destroy gates just as they would walls. Expect the hit points for gates will be considerably lower. Any non hostile monsters should ignore gates as they do walls.

I know this could be made as a mod, but I prefer officially made content. That's just the way I am. Weird I know.

2 x Boards

4 x String

4 x Stone (handle and hinges ofcourse)

I think adding doors would be a good idea, because your friends can steal your stuff. So it's like a door only you can open. Or they might just add an anti-greifing system. The door is still easier to make, because it's picture and code are already in the game's files! (Did you know that? :3)

I think adding doors would be a good idea, because your friends can steal your stuff. So it's like a door only you can open. Or they might just add an anti-greifing system. The door is still easier to make, because it's picture and code are already in the game's files! (Did you know that? :3)

Welcome to the forum!

Yes most of us know that.

Good idea! Doors/gates will definitely be needed to stop "friends" entering your base or stealing your personal loot. This will definitely be the case if PvP is turned on for your server.

I agree with the Giants part. But hounds should be able to attack gates and destroy them relatively easy (not jump over them). Basically any hostile monster should be able to destroy gates just as they would walls. Expect the hit points for gates will be considerably lower. Any non hostile monsters should ignore gates as they do walls.

I know this could be made as a mod, but I prefer officially made content. That's just the way I am. Weird I know.

2 x Boards

4 x String

4 x Stone (handle and hinges ofcourse)

The reason I said jump over was to make it so they didn't impede the Hounds at all making hounds more aggressive than other hostiles.

Also for the whole no other players opening your gate thing I think it could go something like how Rust did it with doors where doors you place can only be opened by you or anyone you put on that doors shared list but it can be broken down as well but there's better material to be used to make better Doors so you can keep people who aren't far into the game out but people later on can break it down just as easy as a newer player could break down a worse door.

Archived