I find it easier with RoG...

89 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel the game is with RoG?

• Easier
    • Same'o
    • Harder
    • Obiwan Kenobi

I keep reading "it's harder with RoG" everywhere, but once you've mastered how to survive the new seasons and how to deal with the giants I actually find it easier. More gears, more hounds teeth, everything that was rare before isn't anymore.

I'm not the only one feeling that, right?

You're totally right ! Now it became easy to survive ! Before I was sad because first time I played RoG,and I was in my camp,allwas good,I was waiting for the winter ... but summer came the day 21 ... and I died because of overheating . I tried again and I saw the Ice cube hat ... That was nice I survived but my camp burned into the fire..Idk what ahppened and now I know how to stop it . and I have many other examples but it's nice to learn from your mistakes and it make you become stronger ! From now it's really easy to play with RoG.

Harder for new players, about the same if not easier for experienced players.

Don't Starve has a learning curve and if you have never played, you will definitely feel overwhelmed by all there is to learn in RoG as compared to vanilla.

However, experienced players will just need to adapt to the new stuff, and with their experience with the game, that should not be much of an issue. Provided you are able to go beyond the new mechanics, lots of items are more common with RoG as opposed to vanilla. Best example is gears. In vanilla, you had to go in the ruins or change world to get more than 10. In RoG, it is obviously not the case anymore!

Yes, true. My question was meant for players who already played the game and the DLC enough to know what to do. For newcomers it's definitely harder, I guess.

The nightmare fuel got a lot easier to get too, with the flowers turning evil at the full moons. I like it, but it definitely makes it easier.

it's harder. Unless you use wigfried. (no im not a hater, i think she's great fun)

Rog may be easier for experienced players than vanilla was for them when they first started playing, but thats because of their experience not because the game itself is actually easier.

In both cases, the game is easy when you have mastered the mechanics. I just feel like RoG is showering me with loot that was previously rare. I don't get tons of gears, teeth for traps, nightmare fuel, free meat raining from the sky in spring, natural minefields of angry bees, perpetually rutting beefalos or touchy frogs to lure my enemies into and so on in Vanilla, but spring and summer are just as easy or hard (insert your own choice here) as winter was in vanilla. So, overall, I feel like it's easier.

Sure, there are more things to understand and overcome. But once you do, you're just cruising.

Meh, anyway. glad to see I'm NotCrazy, even if I'm in the minority.

Also, random pigs, just because I like how they look.

:yaypigs:

I keep reading "it's harder with RoG" everywhere, but once you've mastered how to survive the new seasons and how to deal with the giants I actually find it easier. More gears, more hounds teeth, everything that was rare before isn't anymore.

I'm not the only one feeling that, right?

I agree. If you start in Autumn, you'll have a good enough time to prepare for Spring and Summer (that is, if you know HOW to manage your time).

1. A spring start is miserable. I won't even do it anymore and set the game to autumn.

2. All of the beneficial items from RoG aren't spectacular and most require getting past step

3. Giants. They can all be taken down by a simple method... if you managed to get prepared.

The things that make RoG easier:

1. Hunting Koalephants with catcoons. No need for darts way too early anymore.

2. Glommer and his wonderful goo.

3. Pan flutes routinely sitting by Glommer's statue. Oh, and the old bell. If you can get it to hit.

4. Birchnut seeds are great filler if you're hanging by a thread.

5. Wigfrid mode.

1. A spring start is miserable. I won't even do it anymore and set the game to autumn.

2. All of the beneficial items from RoG aren't spectacular and most require getting past step

3. Giants. They can all be taken down by a simple method... if you managed to get prepared.

The things that make RoG easier:

1. Hunting Koalephants with catcoons. No need for darts way too early anymore.

2. Glommer and his wonderful goo.

3. Pan flutes routinely sitting by Glommer's statue. Oh, and the old bell. If you can get it to hit.

4. Birchnut seeds are great filler if you're hanging by a thread.

5. Wigfrid mode.

you forgot webber mode , and why would you hunt koalefant with DARTS! Just corner him or wait til the night comes but darts???

A few grass cuts, flowers and twigs and you can make a straw hat and a pretty parasol to protect you from the rain until you've got two moles, some bone shards and pig skin to make a rain hat and an umbrella. That's really not hard.

The lack of rabbits is irrelevant with all the berries growing back almost as soon as you get them. There's really nothing hard in a spring start once you know what to do. At worst you have to postpone the prestihatitator until summer, that's hardly miserable.

The lack of rabbits is irrelevant with all the berries growing back almost as soon as you get them. There's really nothing hard in a spring start once you know what to do. At worst you have to postpone the prestihatitator until summer, that's hardly miserable.

Nothing wrong with hunting rabbits during spring. Just dig up their holes. The only reason I'd ever need to kill more than 4 of them is if my presto breaks. 

The reason spring is terrible is you have very limited access to ice, you'll want enough to have made a fling-o-matic and an ice cube before the heat sets in. You have to craft both fire pits. The time you actually get to gather resources is slim, etc. There's tons of reasons spring is harder. Not impossible (pending world gen) but certainly not to be considered on equal footing for difficulty as an autumn start. 

I'd rather spend that first season getting my spiders and pigs organized rather than dodging unrelenting elements right off the bat. I don't even like to consider that a giant might crash my party before I have my gunpowder situated, either.

Nothing wrong with hunting rabbits during spring. Just dig up their holes. The only reason I'd ever need to kill more than 4 of them is if my presto breaks. 

The reason spring is terrible is you have very limited access to ice, you'll want enough to have made a fling-o-matic and an ice cube before the heat sets in. You have to craft both fire pits. The time you actually get to gather resources is slim, etc. There's tons of reasons spring is harder. Not impossible (pending world gen) but certainly not to be considered on equal footing for difficulty as an autumn start. 

I'd rather spend that first season getting my spiders and pigs organized rather than dodging unrelenting elements right off the bat. I don't even like to consider that a giant might crash my party before I have my gunpowder situated, either.

Autumn is easier, sure. Spring is just not half as hard as you made it sound in your previous post. From this post I get the feeling you like to have it easy and reenact the same things each time. Having more things to do and being obliged to adapt to a different situation each time is what makes the game fun to me.

As for the ice cube, forget it. I made one, then never touched the stupid thing again: slows you down, makes you so wet you lose sanity, bleh. Get 15 ice in spring to have an ice flingomatic protecting your berries and miscellanous plantations, and you're good. For summer, use a thermal stone, some protective clothing and keep some nitre on you, no need for the clunky and costly ice cube.

Archived