Multiplayer = Multiproblems

For now we have already found lots of problems with multiplayer:

-time (possible skipping seasons mechanic)

-charlie (as said in another thread, Woodie in werebeaver for can see in the night. So what happens when a player is being attacked by Charlie and you are near him? This is the same if you are wearing Moogles.)

-multiple characters (clone machine?)

-map (will you be able to see where other players hide?)

-OP and UP characters (before it didn't matter, as it was only a singleplayer game. But now...)

So I was thinking: will these problems find a solution?

If you know more troubles that the multiplayer may add, feel free to post them.

Time - If your playing with a friend I doubt they'll just continue without you. Then it gets rid of the whole multiplayer thing.
Charlie - Moggles - "Oh no something went wrong I couldn't see anything!" Woodie - "Maybe all you see is a shadow or silhouette

This shouldn't be too hard to make a work around.

Multiple Characters - Simple... make it so once a character has been chosen no one else can.
Map - Don't Starve Together the point is to play together so seeing other players won't be an issue.
OP & UP - Once again your working together so each person has there own advantage so there are no worries to OP or UP.

These are all pretty obvious, so I'd be amazed if the devs didn't already have an idea.

I am mostly waiting to hear their ideas. I feel like we have tackled a majority of the problems on the forum, and there isn't much left to talk about besides extra features.

Its kind of boring now, regardless if anyone has cool ideas or not.

I am mostly waiting to hear their ideas. I feel like we have tackled a majority of the problems on the forum, and there isn't much left to talk about besides extra features.

Its kind of boring now, regardless if anyone has cool ideas or not.

yea I can see that

-charlie (as said in another thread, Woodie in werebeaver for can see in the night. So what happens when a player is being attacked by Charlie and you are near him? This is the same if you are wearing Moogles.)

-OP and UP characters (before it didn't matter, as it was only a singleplayer game. But now...)

Time could be everyone sleeping then night skips, otherwise players could be immune to Charlie while sleeping and can either wake up whenever they want or wait until daybreak to automatically awaken. Whenever they wake up they take the effect of what they're sleeping on based on what it is in single player. If they wake up in the middle of the night they wouldn't be able to get back to sleep until the next night, and there's no sleeping during the day.

Anything providing sight keeps Charlie away. So even if you're in total darkness if you're next to a guy with moggles or a werebeaver you're safe from Charlie. The downside is the -50/min sanity drain from being in total darkness.

I was under the assumption that we'd be taking players out of other worlds/dimensions. It might be that all the characters are stuck in an infinite loop of surviving the same world over and over again, and they finally built a machine that allows them to hop from one world to the next in a way that allows them to cooperate with themselves, or other survivors. This also explains the personality differences between players since over time people will change and if you're surviving on the same world forever you'll be acting differently all the time based on what you've seen. :3

Best way I've figured maps work is that you only see your teammates on your map, and if they go into unexplored territory they disappear. If your friend has unlocked more map than you, you can share maps by clicking on each other/interacting in some way and you'll both fill out your maps to match what each other have explored. Most likely it'll just be you'll unlock anything your friends explore, like how Minecraft maps work.

Those 'OP' characters have flaws that balance them out in single player, so it shouldn't be a problem in multiplayer. Just because someone hits harder doesn't mean they're stronger. Deprive the Viking of meat or keep the strongman weak with low food/lack of sanity regen items and they'll die. Everyone has flaws. Exploit them.

Anything providing sight keeps Charlie away. So even if you're in total darkness if you're next to a guy with moggles or a werebeaver you're safe from Charlie. The downside is the -50/min sanity drain from being in total darkness.

I don't think this is right. With enough sanity items you could nearly negate this, then we have players running around in the pitch black trying to follow Mr. Moggles.

What about rolling in the cheesy flickering flashlight jumpscare from most horror games? Moggles could start to flicker and Woodie could get saw dust in his eyes right before Charlie attacked.

Well you'd have to think you'd need all those sanity gear for each player you're trying to keep safe in this fashion. Also you can't do anything in the dark anyways, since you can't see. The darkness itself would be another problem with trying to abuse the system. I don't think making the night vision flicker for the player who can see is a good idea, since like you said that's cheesy and really just kind of annoying. With the system I said, it would really be a lot cheaper to just build a fire so everyone can stay safe. With the night vision it'd be wasting the durability on the moggles or time on the werebeaver, which takes wood to keep in that mode. Why not just use that wood to build a fire, you'd save durability on all your sanity and woodie can runoff into the woods to go cut trees/mine rocks without having to stop every second to tell you where he's going so you can keep up. Noone would want to use that system very much since there are a lot more problems than benefits. It'd only be used as a last resort, or if you really want to go insane at some point.

Well you'd have to think you'd need all those sanity gear for each player you're trying to keep safe in this fashion. Also you can't do anything in the dark anyways, since you can't see. The darkness itself would be another problem with trying to abuse the system. I don't think making the night vision flicker for the player who can see is a good idea, since like you said that's cheesy and really just kind of annoying. With the system I said, it would really be a lot cheaper to just build a fire so everyone can stay safe. With the night vision it'd be wasting the durability on the moggles or time on the werebeaver, which takes wood to keep in that mode. Why not just use that wood to build a fire, you'd save durability on all your sanity and woodie can runoff into the woods to go cut trees/mine rocks without having to stop every second to tell you where he's going so you can keep up. Noone would want to use that system very much since there are a lot more problems than benefits. It'd only be used as a last resort, or if you really want to go insane at some point.

But when the fire goes out, stumbling around in the dark is very lame. It wouldn't be a annoying flicker, just one right before the attack, not the entire time the person runs around. It wouldn't even trigger until after growl starts.

Kind of the point. Running around in the dark would keep you insane and unable to do anything. Having someone who can see nearby would only keep Charlie from harming you, it wouldn't allow you to see where you're going/what you're doing. But if that person wants to leave to go chop wood or something then you'd end up being attacked because you're in darkness. Having a fire would protect you from her because you can see, and then the person with night vision is free to run off and do whatever they want to. I just don't see the appeal in having your vision flicker even for a moment just because someone near you happens to not have a way of seeing, and thusly must get attacked.

Also having the vision flicker for a second wouldn't really make sense. The moggles are smell-o-vision, so unless you just suddenly lost the ability to smell for a second then your sight wouldn't go away. And with Woodie he'd eventually learn to just not get sawdust in his eye. The whole system of flickering would be kind of cheesy, and it wouldn't really do much of a difference from my way other than that you could get hit before trying to build a fire. Like I said, people wouldn't want to just stand there in pitch black while their friend waits around with night vision just because neither of you feel like building a fire.

This isn't Runescape, there's not going to be any OP or UP, and it doesn't matter what character you use. It matters what kind of playstyle you use. I could swamp you with Abigail, and you could be completely upgraded WX-78. There's too many variables of death in the game already, to bother adding PVP. Your worries are very minor in scope. 

I don't think this is right. With enough sanity items you could nearly negate this, then we have players running around in the pitch black trying to follow Mr. Moggles.

What about rolling in the cheesy flickering flashlight jumpscare from most horror games? Moggles could start to flicker and Woodie could get saw dust in his eyes right before Charlie attacked.

You guys are throwing around the moggles alot, like it's a breeze to just walk into the caves and grab a glowberry. I guess I'm the only mortal person who plays this game. Anyways, the only problem I can see for Don't Starve Together would be the fact that you now have to share food with someone else, and depending on the skill level of your friend/fellow survivor you could be working to feed two people. LOL

Kind of the point. Running around in the dark would keep you insane and unable to do anything. Having someone who can see nearby would only keep Charlie from harming you, it wouldn't allow you to see where you're going/what you're doing. But if that person wants to leave to go chop wood or something then you'd end up being attacked because you're in darkness. Having a fire would protect you from her because you can see, and then the person with night vision is free to run off and do whatever they want to. I just don't see the appeal in having your vision flicker even for a moment just because someone near you happens to not have a way of seeing, and thusly must get attacked.

Also having the vision flicker for a second wouldn't really make sense. The moggles are smell-o-vision, so unless you just suddenly lost the ability to smell for a second then your sight wouldn't go away. And with Woodie he'd eventually learn to just not get sawdust in his eye. The whole system of flickering would be kind of cheesy, and it wouldn't really do much of a difference from my way other than that you could get hit before trying to build a fire. Like I said, people wouldn't want to just stand there in pitch black while their friend waits around with night vision just because neither of you feel like building a fire.

Moggles are weird anyway. Why does the daylight burn pixels into my screen? Why doesn't the manure act like a bright source of light?

The fact remains that standing still in the pitch black darkness while your sanity runs out because you don't have the materials to make a light source, is boring. It forces the player to stare at a near blank screen, wondering if their screen saver turned on. People aren't going to want to sit there in the dark, but they might not have a choice sometimes. I can see this happening in the caves when everyone tries to divide up the lightbulbs, which wouldn't last long for any of them. Then they have to share someones moggle, slowly trying to blindly make their way to the next light source.

Kind of the point, it'd be used as a last-ditch effort at survival. In the caves they're more likely to run into some spiders or something that kills them if they try to run around in the dark though, the system works to keep the lore in tact and give people time to sort their inventory to build a fire, that's about it. If you're stuck in the caves with only one person with moggles, then that person isn't just going to stand there and let the durability run out just so you can survive two more minutes doing nothing. Then you'd both just end up dead. In the caves, this method of survival would fail. At night however, you'd be restricted to standing around a fire anyways so standing around in the dark wouldn't be much of a difference. All you'd have to do is wait for daylight, and that's if you're nowhere near trees. If you are near a tree just chop one down and make a fire, or craft some torches.

Why is the point of your idea to bore the players who have to sit there through it? As a punishment for being in the dark while keeping the lore in tact? The lore is Charlie gets you, and the punishment is Charile gets you.

Players aren't going to see it as survival, they are going to see it as, "We aren't allowed to see Charlie I guess." or "Why are we not dead? Why did they remove Charlie?" The moggle player can't go off screen to get items for a torch without risking his teammates who are blindly running out of his sight range.

It's too early to predict for sure, but here's my 2 cents.

Time: I imagine the devs will balance this by either putting players who skip time in some sort of hold pattern/stasis until others catch up, or remove time-skipping mechanics entirely.

Charlie/Darkness: My initial thought would be for Woodie, he lights up his own area, not others. Should he happen to run by someone near a fire or holding a torch, they just see a werebeaver in whatever limited light they're producing. However, even if the light mechanism is kept on him as a werebeaver, it's still limited... whoever is playing him could stand there and be bored, producing light for someone else until the curse ends, or they could provide a temporary light source so another player can craft a torch, then run off to do their thing. Just like with Moggles and other light sources, since this is Don't Starve Together. Players work Together to produce light (or not) for themselves and one another.

Multiple Characters: I vote it's up to the host. One could argue for or against an entire world full of Wigfrids or Wilsons.

Map: I vote you can only see other players on the map if they're present in an area you explored. Otherwise, you have no idea where they are.

OP & UP Characters: There's strengths and weaknesses to all characters, players will need to figure out the best combination to survive together. The Dream Team thread shows a lot of possibilities, people are definitely not all choosing the same 2-4 combos and have their reasons and strategies.

1. what?  you found a problem in a thing that doesn't even make sense?  Skipping season mechanic? What?

2.  Um how is this even relevant,  why would anything need to happen other than the attacked player takes damage?

3.  Again not an actual problem more of a suggestion...

4. This seems to be a pretty simple issue, seeing where people are could be a piece of gear or a radar like structure.  Also I'm expecting the bushhat to add some sort of stealth from other players element.  

5. Already addressed that characters will need to be balanced for multiplayer in the OP for the Multiplayer announcement doesn't need to be rehashed. 

1. what? you found a problem in a thing that doesn't even make sense? Skipping season mechanic? What?

2. Um how is this even relevant, why would anything need to happen other than the attacked player takes damage?

3. Again not an actual problem more of a suggestion...

I really don't want to argue with a stranger right now, but think before posting.

1-Players can disconnect from the server when winter starts and log in after it ends. Also what happens if a player goes to sleep?

2- Charlie cannot be seen.

3- That's not a suggestion. Clone machine was a joke.

Griefing. Griefing is the main problem I'm worried about.

Easily destroying expensive buildings and/or whole bases with:

-Hammer

-Deconstruction staff

-Fire

-Gunpowder

-Bigfoot

-Giant

-Fire hound attack in someone else's base

-Etc.

These need to be severely weakened or something to stop an enemy strolling into your base, only needing 2 GRASS AND 2 TWIGS and having the capability to reduce all your work to ash.

Archived