Important and Logical Questions Megathread

Hei people stop thinking about killing each other! This extension is about STOPPING LONELINESS nad WORKING TOGETHER instead of brutally killing each other without any progress: else the other players to you will be like new monsters in human form controlled by a player and you're on your own.

Hei people stop thinking about killing each other! This extension is about STOPPING LONELINESS nad WORKING TOGETHER instead of brutally killing each other without any progress: else the other players to you will be like new monsters in human form controlled by a player and you're on your own.

Who says it's about STOPPING LONELINESS AND WORKING TOGETHER? We can play it however we want; if that means raids, then raids we will have!

Post the most obvious questions about multiplayer below for the devs to (hopefully) see.

So just how will multiplayer work with different characters? Can multiple people play as the same character?

It would be boring if multiple people could play as the same character, though I'd get a chuckle out of Wilson examining himself and saying "What a handsome devil!"

Will there be different modes likecoop orpvp ? How will hounds,  giants and shadow creatures work ? Will the dlc be available ?  Or only if everyone has got it ? And what about the map ?

Probably hounds and giants would choose some unlucky bastard at random and attack them, or target players who are close together or are in a party system but maybe with more hounds attacking.

Whats with sanity boost aura on friendly players?

If they will have it then no need for hats, if they would not have it then why pigs have it?

There is no real combat system so PvP will simply be boring.

well, since both sides of the fight can think and kite and shoot fireballs and ice and darts(and I'm too lazy to fix the "and"s) it could be very interesting and chalenging

Will there be different modes likecoop orpvp ? How will hounds,  giants and shadow creatures work ? Will the dlc be available ?  Or only if everyone has got it ? And what about the map ?

I can see it now, after being freed from the nightmare chair Maxwell joins some of the other characters. He sits in confusion while they attack nothing (them).

Two players see a rabbit.

One is crazy enough for the rabbit to be a beardling.

If the rabbit is killed, what will it drop?

Well, if we end up with player-specific loot drops, beard hair.

If we don't, probably still beard hair.

How will hounds work?

Will insanity beasts only attack the person who is insane?

Access to other's chests?

Other insanity related questions?

Can both players be the same character?

What happens when one player dies?

What happens when both die?

How do you set up a server?

So many questions, so little time.

How will hounds work?

Will insanity beasts only attack the person who is insane?

Access to other's chests?

Other insanity related questions?

Can both players be the same character?

What happens when one player dies?

What happens when both die?

How do you set up a server?

So many questions, so little time.

As far as characters are concerned, I'm pretty sure there will be a lobby or something where you see what characters have and haven't been picked. I don't think doppelgangers will be a thing.

I think for reviving, you could use a Life Giving Amulet on another player's corpse to bring them back to life, if they don't have a touch stone or effigy. Of course there should be a penalty for both the reviver and the person being revived.

For the first round of testing, can I suggest that items like the glommer bell be disabled? It might lead to more conductive testing if we aren't smashing each other.

How will the mandrake work? 

Maybe we should only be able to hammer our own structures?

Will the huge amount of inventory slots be balanced?

On the brighter side: Woodie can finally ring the bell, Wes can throw better parties, Wilson can show off his effigies, Maxwell can apologize, Wickerbottom can tell stories, and Wolfgang + Wig- OH FOR PETE'S SAKE JUST MAKE EVERYTHING LIKE RAVENS COMICS. I can't imagine Don't Starve MP any other way.

What will Multiplayer be like? Playing with a few chums, playing with random people that pop up, or playing with a large server and many different people?

You'll be able to play with complete strangers and of course you'll be able to play with your friends. Yay for public and private games!

At the moment it's looking like DST will support 2 to 4 players at the same time; it could be more though. We'll know better as we dive deeper into development. 

Is this only for questions, or also ideas?

My question is, can players be in different areas of the world?  Some in caves, some above, some in Ruins?  Can the engine handle that?   Or does each player's computer track separate?  And whoever enters caves first, their computer generates the map and tells the other computers?  And the other players cannot enter until that process is complete?

Thoughts:

Hounds - I'd say everyone gets the standard hound amounts.  So if all 4 players are in one place, a LOT of hounds. 

Giants - just one appears at a time, but stats buffed depending on total player numbers.

Spiders - multiply numbers by number of players

Sleeping - Probably will either have to be replaced with some other mechanic, or the player will actually have to watch in real time while their character sleeps.  If it's intentional sleep via bedroll or tent, they can wake up whenever they want.  Enforced sleep such as darts, mandrake, and panflute, the player cannot wake up from.  Sleeping players are immune to Charlie, And players in an enforced sleep will not wake up in the middle of the night.  

Insanity Beasts - visible and attackable by *anyone* that is insane enough.  It would also be hilarious if insane players saw other players as nightmare creatures, but honestly the difference will be obvious due to movement speeds and patterns.

Multiples of same character in same world - can be disabled or enabled, as the host chooses. 

Player death - Handled same as now.  Perhaps options for individualized touchstones, or finders-keepers touchstones.   Meat effigies for whoever builds them - I'm hoping we get individualized effigies so they're easier to tell apart.  If you have duplicate characters, well, better remember whose is whose, you copycat!

Chesters - Options to either start one per world, but allow players to get more somehow (bone shards need more uses) or just have one eyebone for everyone at generation.

Unique items - cannot be picked up by others

PvP - choice of host

chest acces - choice of host

Hammer other players structures - choice of host.

A lot of the pvp questions can really be answered by just giving the host the option.  Klei is really good at giving us options.

Whats with sanity boost aura on friendly players?

If they will have it then no need for hats, if they would not have it then why pigs have it?

There is no real combat system so PvP will simply be boring.

That thought actually gave me this idea. Being around other players should have its' benifits and its' disadvantages. the benifits and disadvantages would vary by character.

You'll be able to play with complete strangers and of course you'll be able to play with your friends. Yay for public and private games!

At the moment it's looking like DST will support 2 to 4 players at the same time; it could be more though. We'll know better as we dive deeper into development. 

Just my own two cents, but I'm very happy with this decision. I want a multiplayer co-op experience, not a large-scale PVP experience. I just don't think a large-scale world with dozens of players competing would make sense given the mechanics in don't starve, however I fear a ton of people will be asking for it.

Thoughts:

Hounds - I'd say everyone gets the standard hound amounts.  So if all 4 players are in one place, a LOT of hounds. 

Hmm, I actually think it might be interesting to keep the number of hounds at a set value which is determined by the number of players on the server, and spawn all of them on a random player, regardless of where players are.

My thought is that you have a choice: either you can effectively split your resources and have people working separate parts of the world, but risk having one person overrun, or you can huddle together and easily defeat the wolves, but you don't get nearly as much done.

After all, having more people gives you more hands for work, but also more mouths to feed.

Remember, it's only, like 2-4 people, so that would be some extremely small hunger games shizzle.

4 people in a Don't Starve world, that may or may not randomly find each other, and attempt to murder each other or become allies. 

This

will

be

so

cool.

Hmm, I actually think it might be interesting to keep the number of hounds at a set value which is determined by the number of players on the server, and spawn all of them on a random player, regardless of where players are.

True.  Or maybe there's one pack per player, and it's random who each pack attacks.  So they could be one for everyone, could be all on one.  Could be equal chance for each player per pack, or each group could be weighted so they're more likely to attack their 'target', but have a chance to attack others.   Only in coop of course. 

PvP modes should be definite one for everyone.  Though not necessarily all at the same time maybe...

Archived