Varg needs a special drop

I love the concept behind the Varg, and thing it's a really cool addition, but there really needs to be something to make killing it worthwhile.  I mean, the guy's practically a miniboss.  Maybe some kind of "Varg Nose" that can be played like a Beefalo Horn to summon hounds.  Just something.

Maybe some kind of "Varg Nose" that can be played like a Beefalo Horn to summon hounds.  Just something.

Blowing a nose from a dead Hound-like creature? Ewwwww. While I agree that he should have a special drop, i think it shouldn't be good enough for him to be very worthwhile to hunt, after all he's supposed to be a punishment for player who hunt the Koalefant for its huge amount of meat he drops.

I don't really see the need for a special drop from it. Firstly, it's not a reliable spawn, so adding a unique incentive to killing it would probably just annoy players who wanted the drops. Secondly, it's there to serve as some added difficulty, and a threat to players hunting for Koalephants. Turning it into something you'd want to encounter would defeat the purpose of it.

I don't really see the need for a special drop from it. Firstly, it's not a reliable spawn, so adding a unique incentive to killing it would probably just annoy players who wanted the drops. Secondly, it's there to serve as some added difficulty, and a threat to players hunting for Koalephants. Turning it into something you'd want to encounter would defeat the purpose of it.

Still there needs to be an intensive to actually fight it instead of running away and letting it be, if it doesnt drop anything useful or unique then you can just leave it be without risking your health.

Still there needs to be an intensive to actually fight it instead of running away and letting it be, if it doesnt drop anything useful or unique then you can just leave it be without risking your health.

The incentive to fight it comes from some extra teeth and monster meat, and the sense of achievement. It's not meant to be rewarding. As for leaving it be, it'll aggro very easily, and will chase you for ages. if it were up to me, I'd make it start chasing you as soon as you uncovered the final footprint, but I suppose that would just be annoying for people who don't want to have to prepare for a miniboss fight every time they see a koalephant track.

The incentive to fight it comes from some extra teeth and monster meat, and the sense of achievement. It's not meant to be rewarding. As for leaving it be, it'll aggro very easily, and will chase you for ages. if it were up to me, I'd make it start chasing you as soon as you uncovered the final footprint, but I suppose that would just be annoying for people who don't want to have to prepare for a miniboss fight every time they see a koalephant track.

As you said Its a miniboss! Treegaurds are a miniboss too and they're worth fighting for the living logs, which are a semi rare item (I guess less so now with the birchgaurds, but those definitely need more tweaking) and are used in higher tier magic crafting. Even if the drop is mostly useless, like as someone else said just a trophy or a hat that doesnt do anything- Itd make it more worth it because its a proof of accomplishment.

I could also argue because the only way to get them is through following tracks (which take about 1 ingame day) and with the low chance for them to spawn instead of a koalaphant that any drop from them is hard to get, so a decent reward would be needed from them because they're hard to find.

If its really meant as a punishment, make it drop nothing and have an obscene amount of health and damage. Make it hard to kite and telegraph. Punish the player, make them never want to touch a pile of dirt ever again.

Or we could look at it as just another aggressive mob, and it needs a better drop.

As you said Its a miniboss! Treegaurds are a miniboss too and they're worth fighting for the living logs, which are a semi rare item (I guess less so now with the birchgaurds, but those definitely need more tweaking) and are used in higher tier magic crafting. Even if the drop is mostly useless, like as someone else said just a trophy or a hat that doesnt do anything- Itd make it more worth it because its a proof of accomplishment.

I could also argue because the only way to get them is through following tracks (which take about 1 ingame day) and with the low chance for them to spawn instead of a koalaphant that any drop from them is hard to get, so a decent reward would be needed from them because they're hard to find.

Treeguards make a horrible source of living logs, though, because they are so rare. Trapping the Shadow Manipulator, Dark sword, and gem staffs behind a monster with a very low% chance to spawn is just tedious, which is why the other sources of living logs were needed.

The same would apply if Wargs got a unique drop. It'd be even worse actually, since aside from the low chance of spawning, all you need to do for a treeguard is chop down a tree, whereas for a Warg, you'd need to find a Koalephant track, and spend around a day following it, for a low chance of it spawning.

Giving it a unique drop would just put it in the same situation as Krampus.

If its really meant as a punishment, make it drop nothing and have an obscene amount of health and damage. Make it hard to kite and telegraph. Punish the player, make them never want to touch a pile of dirt ever again.

Or we could look at it as just another aggressive mob, and it needs a better drop.

This is just stupid. It's meant to be a threat, to keep players on their toes while koalephant hunting, and it does that job fairly well. In the same way that Krampus is (meant to be) a punishment for killing too many innocent creatures, so players can't rely too heavily on them, Wargs are a punishment for not being careful while hunting Koalephants, so that players have to decide whether following a trail is worth the risk.

The Varg is pretty much a bigger Hound, not meant to be something people would purposely hunt for. If it should drop something it should be something similar to the Worms glowberry, useful but not really that useful. Like I don't know it's tongue, for a sanity dropping food that heals a decent amount.

I agree. I recently died to a varg on day 90 because I had no idea what it did or what it dropped. After I died I wikied it and found it was all in vain, just a few hound teeth and some monster meat I could care less about. 

I do think it is great that sometimes you can be punished for tracking down an innocent creature for it's meat, but you have to get something for defeating a mini boss. 

it's not a reliable spawn

There is a 5% chance starting at day 1 that number increases up to 33% at day 100. I would say that's pretty reliable. Especially if you are unlucky... 

I love the concept behind the Varg, and thing it's a really cool addition, but there really needs to be something to make killing it worthwhile.  I mean, the guy's practically a miniboss.  Maybe some kind of "Varg Nose" that can be played like a Beefalo Horn to summon hounds.  Just something.

The point of the Warg is to make Koalefant hunting a less viable/reliable strategy and it works. We already have Giants that spawn semi-regularly, can be easily killed, and then give drops that make the game so incredibly easy it's ridiculous, and having a mini-boss that makes the game harder (I'd argue the Giants make the game easier), seems to make sense for an 'uncompromising wilderness survival' game. Also, adding drops for the sake of drops just leads to annoyance when they don't drop and a 'trophy hunting' attitude that doesn't really fit a game where the developers set out to make the character(s) bad at fighting. To be honest, this is my main problem with the game full stop. So many great ideas that have to be hidden behind a reward or a nerf to make sure people aren't put off. 

Reign of Giants had the oppurtunity to just make the game harder. No ifs, no buts, add a few items to help, but overall increase the difficulty of the game. But, because this would no doubt harm sales (and therefore their studio, their earnings and by that logic their families, so fair enough), the Giants have to be worth fighting (instead of just being there because the world 'hates' you - as the game description states -).

This is why I loved the Deerclops. He showed up for no reason other than to destroy your base, possibly kill you, and then if you killed him, you got a USELESS item. That's what a world that hates you would do. Instead of going, "Well done, you killed a difficult monster, have an item that negates Heat and Rainfall, (basically Summer and Spring).", the world would go "Oh, so you killed the Deerclops. Here you go, have an Eyeball. What do you mean, what does that do? Try it out. Oh. It didn't do anything? No, it's not bugged, that's what it's meant to do. Nothing. You're nearly dead, you're base is ruined and your reward is a useless food item. Have fun". I understand why the game (no longer) does this, but I honestly think with an (optional) DLC, Klei had the chance to make Don't Starve the game they claim it is in the description, and they didn't take it.

TL;DR - The Warg not dropping anything is good, the Giants shouldn't drop the OP items they do, Klei could have made the game harder with RoG, but didn't.

The Varg is pretty much a bigger Hound, not meant to be something people would purposely hunt for. If it should drop something it should be something similar to the Worms glowberry, useful but not really that useful. Like I don't know it's tongue, for a sanity dropping food that heals a decent amount.

This is a pretty good idea.

maybe it could just drop bone shards, making them renewable(it was what I expected when I joined a bunch of pigs to kill the damn thing in the other side of the world)

Can't you renew them from big tentacles?

I don't think it is 30% in day 100, as I've been tracking him for 5 times straight. Ughhhhhh. Now, I am really discouraged by varg and hardly go on a hunt. In the other hand, I don't really think he needs a special drop, as the hounds it summons basically fulfills the role; farming gems never made so easy. Some people had a hard time getting blue gem? Well, track a varg and he will roll up some nice icy gems at the cost of possibly kill you, but heck it is sooooo good. 

I like the idea of a Varg Nose to summon hounds. It's not like it makes the game any easier being able to summon dogs to kill you, right? It could help offset the red and blue gem balance as well. 

It's got a unique purpose, though and would still be useful, even if it doesn't make the game directly easier. So people would go Warg hunting specifically to find it, which would both diminish the intended role of the Warg, and, since Wargs aren't encountered consistently, getting it would be very frustrating in a similar manner to the Krampus sack. Maybe these concerns could be reduced by giving it limited durability, but then I get the feeling that no-one would use it.

I can see it working nicely if Wargs were added to periodic hound waves, though. It might also be neat if it acted like the spider queen hat, making hounds friendly to you

Archived