Raging about Varg again...

Evening,

So story is, having a good run with Wilson, already beat Deerclops at midnight below 50 sanity, then afterwards I'm exploring in Spring to get ambushed by a Varg at the end of a suspicious trail in the middle of a desert with 5 hound dens. Just as I find the Varg and its pack of 12+ hounds, one also being a Blue Hound. Moments from night time, I make a run for it with a 100% torch, that almost instantly goes down in the heavy rain. Upon dying in Darkness, I resurrect on one of my two touchstones to go receive my gear, just to find Varg sitting on it. I try to lead the pack away to get my loot but the Varg doesn't budge and I end up dying like an idiot, 2/2 Touchstones down I try one last time since I have a Meat Effigy in my base. I successfully lore the Varg away from my loot this time but end up dying the process. (Start with 50 health every respawn and no armour so yeah, dying is pretty easy when desperate to get your loot back.)

Anyhow, upon respawning at my Meat Effigy, not only was it Hound Wave 4 incoming, but also Magoose (what I name it), luckily I had in heat Beefalo to take care of both of them whilst I watched and laughed with my five pieces of grass and piece of manure in my inventory.

Thankfully, the next day I returned to my loot collected in all and live to survive for how much longer I can go.

But seriously Klei, please do something about Varg, the guy is strong enough, but a pack of him plus 5 Hounds minimum shred your wooden armour and helmet instantly and you can't retaliate whatsoever.

I've made a Suggestion to bring him to terms but yeah this is Feedback and he's just too much right now.

Regards,

Kruze.

(Start with 50 health every respawn and no armour so yeah, dying is pretty easy when desperate to get your loot back.)

I only faced the Varg once and it didn't pose any real problem at that time. I think I had a couple of spider followers to distract the hounds while I was killing the Varg, though.

A small suggestion on the quoted part of your post:

I previously used to react a bit like you when I died. I wanted to get my loot so badly that I went back ASAP without any equipment and sometimes died in the process, which can be frustrating. However, I learned (the hard way) that you rarely have to get your loot back quickly. It's best if you go back to your camp, take some stuff there from what you previously gathered and take your time to properly equip yourself before going back for your loot. It can take 10 days, it doesn't really matter. The food you had will spoil, but this is not important. You could even try to recruit some pigs to help you, rocklobsters or spiders, depending on where you are and what you have available. Also, if you used up your last meat effigy, build another one before going back for your loot, just in case. I usually always have a meat effigy pre built in case I use the one I have to be quickly able to make another one. I understand it can be easy to forget all that in the heat of the battle, but it is always best to get back your loot slowly rather than dying quickly =)

I only faced the Varg once and it didn't pose any real problem at that time. I think I had a couple of spider followers to distract the hounds while I was killing the Varg, though.

A small suggestion on the quoted part of your post:

I previously used to react a bit like you when I died. I wanted to get my loot so badly that I went back ASAP without any equipment and sometimes died in the process, which can be frustrating. However, I learned (the hard way) that you rarely have to get your loot back quickly. It's best if you go back to your camp, take some stuff there from what you previously gathered and take your time to properly equip yourself before going back for your loot. It can take 10 days, it doesn't really matter. The food you had will spoil, but this is not important. You could even try to recruit some pigs to help you, rocklobsters or spiders, depending on where you are and what you have available. Also, if you used up your last meat effigy, build another one before going back for your loot, just in case. I usually always have a meat effigy pre built in case I use the one I have to be quickly able to make another one. I understand it can be easy to forget all that in the heat of the battle, but it is always best to get back your loot slowly rather than dying quickly =)

There was nothing of worth in my camp, never did I think I'd miss Flint so much, and in all honesty, I would of thought Varg would despawn after a day, never mind sit on your loot.

soooo... the Varg killed you?

Sounds like he's doing his job alright...

Thing is I never got killed by Varg, it was the 7+ hounds he'd summoned preventing me from placing a fire or creating a torch dying to darkness. Then the next two was my own stupidity. Regardless I have no problem with Varg on his own, if you read my other forum you'd understand this, my problem is the infinite hound spawn; which is only further increased at an exponentially greater rate, when he can draw out the Hound Dens in a Desert.

It's annoying how everyone says, "Just head for Varg before he spawns the Hounds and tank him with Log, Helmet and Meat Club, easy", its like no one has ever gone up against him, the Hounds spawn before you reach him, and if you attempt to tank Varg and 3 Hounds, not only can you not attack due to interruptions from Hounds period attack interrupting your movements. Varg shreds your armour by 15-20% with a single bite.

All in all Varg is tuned correctly, but the Hound spawns, (plus Hound Dens if you're unlucky enough), prevent you from touching Varg overtuning him.

Note: I'm aware Pan Flute + Old Bell would work, or Pan Flute then just beating up Varg on his own before he howls again. However, even at Day 70 I was yet to find those items.

well, you can't complain much about balance if you know that what happened to you was something completely unusual and unlucky, but maybe it really needs a small tunning to the hound spawn(even though, in my opinion being this powerfull gives you a chalange greater than just kiting or tanking)

Note: I'm aware Pan Flute + Old Bell would work, or Pan Flute then just beating up Varg on his own before he howls again. However, even at Day 70 I was yet to find those items.

Pan Flute+Old Bell works pretty much on everything, and it's so cheap and low tech(all you need is to do some exploring on a birch forest)

The varg is not that difficult, and is completely optional. If you run away, you can easily lose it, or just not follow any trails, and you will never encounter it. I have never had it outright kill me because the hounds move so much faster, it is easy to take them, then get a couple hits on it.

I found the Goose/Moose and right then the hounds started baying (over 200 days in). Luckily I had a fresh marble suit, hambat, football helmet, and alot of honey poultice, and was by 6 pig homes. Even then I nearly died in the chaos.

You're missing the point or not reading, I have no problem with Varg, its his infinite Hound Summons...

I was talking about the varg in general, including his hounds summons. If you kill it fast enough you won't get problems with his hounds.

When you find him, run away and hire some pigs and lure the works of them into a beefalo herd. The pigs and Beefalo will keep the underlings busy and you can take out the Warg. I've found once you have the Hounds dealt with he's not that big of a threat providing you're properly armoured. 

make your mind up :razz:

You're selecting information to create humour, ironically, anything + a number can be infinite so your joke ends there, furthermore, if you choose to read rather than select numbers, those numbers identify different scenarios.

I was talking about the varg in general, including his hounds summons. If you kill it fast enough you won't get problems with his hounds.

I appreciate your comments but the 'if' sums it up, if you don't kill it fast enough, you're overwhelmed by his damage, and the hounds interrupting your attacks attempting to at least finish him off.

When you find him, run away and hire some pigs and lure the works of them into a beefalo herd. The pigs and Beefalo will keep the underlings busy and you can take out the Warg. I've found once you have the Hounds dealt with he's not that big of a threat providing you're properly armoured. 

This is the most intelligent comment yet, you agree that without the Hounds the Varg isn't a threat with the right equipment, which has been my argument from the beginning. I'm in the unlucky scenario where Varg spawned in the desert, along with his pack of 5 Hounds you have the additional followers from the surrounding dens. In this gameplay I also had no Pig Villages and the nearest Beefalo were one and a half days travel out.

So yeah I was screwed from the beginning, but thank you for having a well written comment with understanding for the situation I was in and the insight as to why I think Varg is over tuned in the sense he's fine on his own but too potent with all the Hounds he can bring to the table.

by his itself, the Varg would be too easy(like any other enemy in this game). Killing it would just need some kiting. The Hounds it spawn are supposed to increase it's threat level. Maybe there should be a limit, kinda like how the Spider Queen only spawns more spiders after some time, but the hounds should still spawn, and I think the numbers in which they spawn should remain the same.

(also, if you follow tracks back to hound mounds, in a desert, find a Varg, and do not run the heck away from there, you can't really blame the game)

You're selecting information to create humour, ironically, anything + a number can be infinite so your joke ends there, furthermore, if you choose to read rather than select numbers, those numbers identify different scenarios.

I conclude from this post that you dont understand the meaning of irony.

If you die because you haven't adequately prepared your touch stones with resources for if you die, then your contingency plan sucks and that's where you've gone wrong, not the Varg owning you for repetitively electing to be its victim. Honestly, if it'd been mid-summer or mid-winter, you'd have been equally done-for.

But hey, let's balance DS like Riot does LoL: whenever something is strong and people whinge about it, nerf it till it isn't independent enough to matter. Seriously, no newbs stumble upon the Varg because of its unusual chance of spawning, and you can easily run away from it too.

You're not really articulating a problem here - just more your frustrations. Perhaps reiterate an element to the Varg that could be looked at and reason why with other predicates in mind.

Varg is fine I think, his loot is also great since you can get teeth without having to farm the tusks in winter. Only thing that I agree on is that his hounds should only spawn up to so many since he can amass quite a following that will just stun lock you to death. Other wise I love finding this guy over the other thing.

I appreciate your comments but the 'if' sums it up, if you don't kill it fast enough, you're overwhelmed by his damage, and the hounds interrupting your attacks attempting to at least finish him off.

You can still run if they are too many. Hounds will lose aggro after time and than you can kill them one by one and kill the varg later.

Or prepare yourself if you go hunting koalafants. Take blowdarts with you to finish the varg quickly, freeze him with the ice staff or put him to sleep.

If he managed to summon hounds, kill the hounds first because they are the real problem. The varg can't resummon them that fast. This gives you enough time to kill him.

Or the easiest way: Take some pigs for the hunt. Pigs destroy the varg and the hounds very effectivly.

I hope this will help you.

You can still run if they are too many. Hounds will lose aggro after time and than you can kill them one by one and kill the varg later.

Or prepare yourself if you go hunting koalafants. Take blowdarts with you to finish the varg quickly, freeze him with the ice staff or put him to sleep.

If he managed to summon hounds, kill the hounds first because they are the real problem. The varg can't resummon them that fast. This gives you enough time to kill him.

Or the easiest way: Take some pigs for the hunt. Pigs destroy the varg and the hounds very effectivly.

I hope this will help you.

Varg is cool and all, but I think summons are bugged atm, it should be one summon every 15 seconds, and I think he is doing that much faster.

Archived