Birch tree-guard too op

I think they should keep the crazy spawn amount, but make them only spawn in Autumn. Autumn now has a threat to all but Woodie, who still suffers the penalties after transforming.

It's not a big threat but I like the idea to make them special autumn mobs. There should be more special mobs for each season.

Winter has snowbirds, pengulls, ice hounds, McTusk & Son.

Actually a birchnut treeguard works wonders to contain a frog pond. Their root spikes and minions kill frogs and only a few escape. at night you go and get the frog legs and twigs :D

I wish they would never go back to dormant. They are awesome as guards.. is a lureplant that doesn't eat the loot :)

I've played two games now with the Birch treeguards, and both games I've died on Day 0 because of them. I know I'm not terribly good at this game, but I think it's a bit ridiculous to get mauled by every birch tree onscreen just for trying to get a bit of wood to keep my fire going. 

I've played two games now with the Birch treeguards, and both games I've died on Day 0 because of them. I know I'm not terribly good at this game, but I think it's a bit ridiculous to get mauled by every birch tree onscreen just for trying to get a bit of wood to keep my fire going. 

SO....don't chop birchnuts on day 0, or...I don't know....run away? They are a stationary enemy.

SO....don't chop birchnuts on day 0, or...I don't know....run away? They are a stationary enemy.

It's not terribly easy to run away when you're stuck around a campfire with five or six treeguards and who knows how many of the little guys. And just not chopping birchnuts on day 0 would work, I guess, but it just seems like a constant hassle that I would hate to deal with almost every time I went to chop down a birch tree. 

I think their strength is fine and I like the concept a lot, but the rate at which they spawn just needs a little tweaking in my opinion. 

so tired of this op birch nut tree thing. they are strong yes, but they can't move. don't force yourself to fight a losing battle. cut coniferous trees. the desert has no trees you must have wood before going there much like swamps. if your in dire need of wood in autumn biomes then its the risk you take. this adds to the constant thinking and planning in don't starve. i hope the devs don't tweak this. i love it as is

It's not terribly easy to run away when you're stuck around a campfire with five or six treeguards and who knows how many of the little guys. And just not chopping birchnuts on day 0 would work, I guess, but it just seems like a constant hassle that I would hate to deal with almost every time I went to chop down a birch tree. 

I think their strength is fine and I like the concept a lot, but the rate at which they spawn just needs a little tweaking in my opinion. 

I think a lot of new players think you need to fuel fires way more than you actually have to... a campfire lasts 4.5 segments without any additional fuel. If you place the campfire around when night falls (while it's still dimming down at the red-to-blue transition), then it will last the whole night, unless the night is 5 or more segments. So there's no pressing reason for you to be chopping wood after nightfall, although I'll admit that isn't a bad use of the time, generally.

One thing I think should change is that the Angry Birches should aggro on whatever caused a birch to be felled.  I just played on Webber and stood by while a Rook ran over a bunch of birches.  When the Angry versions awoke, their demon spawn chased after me even though the Rook was closer. 

Given that most creatures aggro based on what caused damage, it seems fair that the Angry Birches should do the same.  I don't think it was because Webber is a monster, but I thought I'd check to see if anyone else saw something similar or different.

Well what about the  time when you actualy didnt know it was 50% spawn and just saw 5-6 mosnter apear without a warning thats why it should e nerf, not all player like looking the wiki for every single thing i thought it was a bug or segement then i cheked and was depely dissapointed with the spawn rate.

One thing I think should change is that the Angry Birches should aggro on whatever caused a birch to be felled.  I just played on Webber and stood by while a Rook ran over a bunch of birches.  When the Angry versions awoke, their demon spawn chased after me even though the Rook was closer. 

Given that most creatures aggro based on what caused damage, it seems fair that the Angry Birches should do the same.  I don't think it was because Webber is a monster, but I thought I'd check to see if anyone else saw something similar or different.

you're right.  When I fought the bearger he demolished a birchnut and the subsequent nutlings came after me, not the bearger.  But since I was always pretty close to Bearger they just got demolished by him when he did his stomp.  SO many sticks!  Same thing when using pigs - they wouldn't aggro the nutlings unless I specifically told them to - at that time I figured it had something to do with the fact that the birchguard is not a normal mob, and can only be attacked by axe.

When they spawn the first time, assuming there isn't several literally right next to you than you should have time to run away before you take much damage.

And then for everyone else complaining about the time after the first, it's your fault for chopping a birchnut tree when you knew that was going to happen, if you didn't want it to! They aren't very dangerous and can't chase you, and you can kill them with a torch for goodness sakes. Plus you can get a good amount of food from them.

Archived