Idea for promoting exploration - Unique Boon Items

There should be boons that have a special item in them that can only be found in the boon. This would promote getting out more. Perhaps all currently existing weapons and armor could be nerfed a little bit in order to make finding this items more neccesary.

This would promote getting out more.

Is people not getting out enough a problem?  My primary goal for the first part of the game is to explore the whole map...or are you suggesting these boons would appear after initial world-gen?  To promote people visiting those savanna and mosaic wastelands?

I think it would be cool, but what if someone was on day 3 or something and found a new OP item, thanks to others being nerfed? They would no longer need to explore to craft items.

How about the boons can only spawn a certain distance away from your spawnpoint?

Is people not getting out enough a problem?  My primary goal for the first part of the game is to explore the whole map...or are you suggesting these boons would appear after initial world-gen?  To promote people visiting those savanna and mosaic wastelands?

It's a lategame problem. You shouldn't be able to live your life entirely inside of your massive stone castle with huge-ass farms of all kinds galore. There needs to be much more conflict.

How about the boons can only spawn a certain distance away from your spawnpoint?

It's a lategame problem. You shouldn't be able to live your life entirely inside of your massive stone castle with huge-ass farms of all kinds galore. There needs to be much more conflict.

That could help, but as you said, new players explore need to explore. And if it's good enough of an item, why won't they just look for it? I think there should be strong monsters surrounding better items.

Perhaps boons could spawn or fade over time in certain areas depending on how many days you manage to survive.  If you choose not to explore at first you may be missing out on a potentially useful item(s). In the earlier days the player may find useful boons that don't have  overpowered loot or situations you may not be able to handle in the beginning while later on after surviving your first winter you may find something much more powerful and dangerous.

You could also make it that you can only find discover certain boons if you have unlocked certain crafting stations like the science machine, alchemy machine, prestihatitator, etc or certain recipes. Just tossing out a few ideas

I have existed enough days to almost rot a powder cake when you add the 2 separately counted cave day totals to the surface world day count. The only late game problem is nothing new opens up 200 days later into the game. Everything is open for the player to try to do at the start. People make giant bases to accommodate to better to accept the upcoming challenges, but by the time they are done there is no challenge demanding enough of them.

Trying to stop people from making bases they find awesome, is just going to add to the fact. They want a awesome base that lets them do awesome challenges. There is no super challenge found late in the game, but stop knocking these players for having their favorite style base.

Their playstyle is asking for a challenge, but they aren't asking for a different playstyle.

I have existed enough days to almost rot a powder cake when you add the 2 separately counted cave day totals to the surface world day count. The only late game problem is nothing new opens up 200 days later into the game. Everything is open for the player to try to do at the start. People make giant bases to accommodate to better to accept the upcoming challenges, but by the time they are done there is no challenge demanding enough of them.

Trying to stop people from making bases they find awesome, is just going to add to the fact. They want a awesome base that lets them do awesome challenges. There is no super challenge found late in the game, but stop knocking these players for having their favorite style base.

Their playstyle is asking for a challenge, but they aren't asking for a different playstyle.

And what about us who want to have our awesome bases put to the test?

There's world option settings for those who don't.

Okay, I have an idea. How about, when you find the unique boons, they are found broken, and you have to acquire items to fix them. This would support making a good camp as well as exploration. Both sides of the coin. Maybe "Unique Boons Broken?" yes or no option.

Well, to me it seems that the problem we are trying to terminate seems to be people doing nothing but staying in their bases, turtling.

However, I suggest that the problem is approached from a different direction:

Where do you make your base?

Most natural things, such as plants, pigs, bees etc. can be moved from their original direction, so those will be irrelevant as time goes on.

But what can't be moved?

The Pig King, Reeds, Boulders, Cave Entrances, Hound Mounds, Mushrooms, Catcoons.

What are the two most important things on the list?

Pig Kings and Catcoons, which supply you with bonus materials, and you can benefit from both of them without much cost: Pig Kings give you massive amounts of gold for useless trinkets and Catcoons vomit up free stuff and attack nearby small creatures with the cost of a mere piece of grass. Heck, Catcoons aren't necessary at all, just a nice bonus.

Beefalo also deserve a special mention as they're the best source of Manure and the only source of Wool, which is vital to protect against Winter, at least if you desire something heftier than a Breezy Vest and Rabbit Earmuffs. And moving them from one place to another is always a project, as they are as slow as molasses and tend to wander from their designated area.

When you have made your base near The Pig King and  preferably the Beefalo, all the tools you require can be made there. This means that the special boons will not be necessary at all, nor will they be something that you take into account when choosing where to make a base.

They will reward you, but after you've got them, the problem has not stopped existing, but has become even more bad: You can turtle more efficiently with the tools.

There should be boons that have a special item in them that can only be found in the boon. This would promote getting out more. Perhaps all currently existing weapons and armor could be nerfed a little bit in order to make finding this items more neccesary.

Gears.

Tonguetyd.... How can you make that list of unmovables and leave out Merms?

I make my base by them often because you can move most things to them and they will kill it for you. Not having to waste materials and health by less fighting seems better to me then a bit of extra gold or string.

Sigh. Ultimately, what this thread is about is postulating late-game interests. Whilst there's this argument that players shouldn't camp, there's also the argument of 'if camping wasn't intended as a style, then why are there so many utilities for camping?'.

So, look at it this way:

No camping please ---> Put boons that spawn as the game goes to promote players to move around.

Camping please ---> May as well do the boons since there's nothing else to do anyway.

Both parties eventually get boons/items irrespective ---> everyone finds that there's little they can do with these items, regardless of these brilliant ideas, since there's no challenges post this stage in the game.

Basically, both parties are finding indirect ways to curb the same problem: late-game boredom.

Whilst I don't mind puzzles in the game, I don't think they're the answer that needs to be put forth first (though I'm fine with them being second). There doesn't need to be a tax for players who want to camp. There needs to be some feature that attacks campers in a manner that novelises bases (invasions) - else it's boring as all hell to camp and there's really no glory in it anyway - and the solution to this feature has to be roaming--but the solution put in place (the so-called 'feature') cannot be something that only applies to one party since both parties have the same issue of boredom.

So, say the Hounds scale ongoingly throughout the game and never stop scaling. That'd give reason to both A) Use a defensive structure to deal with them, AND B ) seek resources found in the environment to deter the attacks. In this example, both styles are equally viable but have different merits that offer variety. (Disclaimer: Just a juxtaposition, not a suggestion).

Anyway, I hope you've all learnt something from this. Ridley has the right idea: it's not about a playstyle reigning prevalent in order to fine-tune the game into something more difficult in the later stages - else Klei would never have implemented walls with a multitude of upgradeable features - it's simply about the later stages of the game becoming more complex whilst maintaining the integrity of Don't Starve ... (which is really not an easy task).

The puzzles are a good suggestion, but let's keep the ideas flowing and keep in mind that there's different styles to accommodate for, regarding pre-existing game content that can't be ignored. 

I don't know about you guys, I find lots of things to do late game. Three sink holes+ three ruins always keep myself busy late game. The things you guys mentioned are similar to the pseudoscience station(recipes and what not). Even if you are so bored at, let's say turtle in your own base, you can still replay the adventure mode. Last resort for obliterating your boredom is simple: move to another world, you wuss.

Archived