Ability to make catcoon nest/change to taming.

Think of it like pig houses and bunny houses. Wouldn't it be awesome to have their houses at your base?

Also I was considering, why not change it so morsels didn't befriend forever, but instead yarn did. Yarn can also be used for building the catcoon nest.

Guess maybe another recipe for string to make the yarn?(Spider silk?)

Just some ideas in my head.

Right now catcoons have no disadvantages like the pigs (werepigs) or bunnyman (no meat) and fight between them creating infinite meat so building the nests would be an easy meat farm. Other than that I like the idea of the yarn.

Right now catcoons have no disadvantages like the pigs (werepigs) or bunnyman (no meat) and fight between them creating infinite meat so building the nests would be an easy meat farm. Other than that I like the idea of the yarn.

Bunnymen don't drop meat? You've never been around them for long have you?

The Catcoons are terrible fighters (as followers), they dig your stuff, aggro your bees and kill your butterflies when they get the chance. I wouldn't say they have no disadvantage.

I agree with Ware about the possibility of building a Catcoon nest manually (for those whose worlds have no or barely any Catcoon nests) or in the least let it drop something once destroyed that allows the player to re-position the nest as you would a Spider Den.

Bunnymen don't drop meat? You've never been around them for long have you?

The Catcoons are terrible fighters (as followers), they dig your stuff, aggro your bees and kill your butterflies when they get the chance. I wouldn't say they have no disadvantage.

I agree with Ware about the possibility of building a Catcoon nest manually (for those whose worlds have no or barely any Catcoon nests) or in the least let it drop something once destroyed that allows the player to re-position the nest as you would a Spider Den.

I meant that you couldn't take meat with bunnymen. Since I haven't found a catcoon in my world I guess I don't really know what do they do but I think the repositioning of nests sounds good

Nah, too easy.  Unless they pilfer your items in your base.  Even then, I think they're best as a flavor mob in the autumn biome.  Gives you another factor in base siting.  Or maybe if the only way to get the yarn was a gravedigger drop, so it'd keep them rare.

Nah, too easy.  Unless they pilfer your items in your base.  Even then, I think they're best as a flavor mob in the autumn biome.  Gives you another factor in base siting.  Or maybe if the only way to get the yarn was a gravedigger drop, so it'd keep them rare.

I like this but it is too easy like the first post said, cat coons are way to good to have in your base, if you love them so much just build a base next to them... you can move moles to that base and a catcoon base was one of my original concepts for a RoG base.

You kidding ? They pick a fight with everything!  They killed my glommie, picked a fight with beefalo, other  catcoons, etc... And it is impossible to catch butterflies with them near.

I do love the idea of a craftable nest though. I love them and go so far as to usually build my house near one of their stumps :)

Building catcoon nests would be too good. They're already an incredibly easy source of lots of food before their respawns run out, and making them craftable is like crafting 9 free meat.

They generally can't even hit me before they die, with no kiting, and they drop a full Meat 100% of the time, whilst respawning every day... (pigs take a long while to respawn, are a harder fight, and don't always drop meat; they also don't kill eachother and will help eachother in a fight)

Building catcoon nests would be too good. They're already an incredibly easy source of lots of food before their respawns run out, and making them craftable is like crafting 9 free meat.

They generally can't even hit me before they die, with no kiting, and they drop a full Meat 100% of the time, whilst respawning every day... (pigs take a long while to respawn, are a harder fight, and don't always drop meat; they also don't kill eachother and will help eachother in a fight)

You do know they only spawn 9 times right? Once those 9 are up, no more catcoons.

You get more free food if you let them live at the cost of them always killing butterflies and rabbits. Sure they fight each other, but when those fights are over the catcoons who won the battle will go on and keep killing the small animals, giving you a easy way to get morsels.

Each nest only spawns 9 catcoons, playing on the pun "cats have nine lives". It's very easy for catcoons to become extinct. :(

So I just the other day hatched my first smallbird ever - wanted to try using them to farm feathers as I'd heard they were good for that and I kind of want more blowdarts nowadays.  2 seconds after it hatches, catcoon pounces.  Eff. You. Catcoons.

imo reduce drop rate of meat to 80%, add chance for yarn instead, used in crafting, recipe only found in blueprint, have to destroy natrual spawner to get it, maybe % chance, so risk vs reward,

edit:

extra yarn could also be crafted into rope

I've started new game and discovered, that three hollow stumps spawned near a pengulls' breeding ground. Catcoons attack pengulls and end up killed very fast. I didn't find other hollow stumps yet, so I'm afraid of early total extinction of catcoons due to only 9 lives they have.

So I agree, that there should be the way to craft hollow stumps, or they should spawn periodically across the map. Either way I foresee total absence of catcoons in a late game due to their aggressive behaviours.

So, I had an idea: what if you could capture catcoons and relocate them. Say, if you took the catcoon and placed it near a fully grown Birch tree and 1-3 toys from graves, it'd make the tree its new home? I don't necessarily think catcoons should be a renewable resource, but I want to be able to relocate them to my base cooozzz theyyy suuuu quuuuuteeeee

NO WAY should craftable catcoon dens be in default game. This would be way too easy as stated.

There are already mods for a craftable den and a mod for a spawner which includes catcoon dens. This should stay in the mod category.

I can somewhat agree with relocating the catcoon, only if it disables the other den as a spawner, or does not create a new spawner where relocated.

A sewing kit makes no sense to me, since it would have had to kill multiple spiders and 2 hounds to get the materials.

Catcoons do need their drop and spawn rates towed down in general and/or there spawn number refreshed each fall.  If they put some of those nerfs in place then it should be perfectly fine to craft some spawn dens.  They should not be that useful, but nice enough to at least have one den in your camp.  

Dropping a sewing kit would be OP as sh^t.

Relocatable Catcoons wouldn't involve reproduction or an increase in population - it'd simply be 'relocating'.

As for this notion of 'but catcoons are the perfect animal for the slaughter --> reward complex', no. Just no. 

I really wish they didnt just go extinct eventually.. I had a grand total of 2 nests in my world, one has now stopped spawning (was on the edge of the autumn biome, and too close to a spider nest which was in the adjacent biome), and the other... well i'm doing my best to protect it but i fear it wont last forever, i think it has about 4 spawns left in it.

On a positive note though, it might actually make me want to use the teleportato at some point, i've never really been inclined to before now.

Archived