Please rethink the idea of ​​a single seed on new trees

When a certain distance away from stuff, the game 'pauses' that area. So let's say you have a beefalo herd, if you're too far away it won't grow while your gone. Your base falls under the same rule. Meaning it depends how close you are to it.

At least, that's what I think happens, I can't remember where the knowledge came from.

yeah i agree with that. was just trying to confirm. best example is if your in a pig village during dusk they all run into their homes right. but if your some distance away on a full moon and come to the village the next day there all sleeping outside because of werepig syndrome. and now on the RoG update you walk into a werepig ambush

so im guessing the pause works on somethings and not others. i really wanted to know this because all the work you put into farms and drying racks i don't want to combust lololol

I'm pretty sure it doesn't work over distance. I was watching the command line and a butterfly flew by and it executed 'firestart butterfly' or something similar.

I was miffed when I found out, having made a forest near my base out of them.

I thought about doing that for a second, but realized the pigmen would be jerks and try to eat the nuts when I would try to mass farm them for wood. So I'd have to have 2 groves, and that'd just annoy me.

I thought about doing that for a second, but realized the pigmen would be jerks and try to eat the nuts when I would try to mass farm them for wood. So I'd have to have 2 groves, and that'd just annoy me.

I don't use pigs, I rely on beefalo mostly, so I never considered it a problem.

I usually have pigs smash while I grab the loot and dig up the stumps. I'm sure that'll work to get the nuts before pigs can.

Ya, that's the ticket.  If you have 2 or 3 pigs going they'll cut trees as fast as you can pick up the stuff and dig stumps.  They stay pretty focused.  I know this because birds drop seeds while we're doing this, but they don't all just instantly go for the seeds.  It takes them a while to catch on.  Unless birchnuts are somehow more tempting than seeds I guess.

The change to the birchnut tree drops was quite deliberate: we want you to make a choice between replanting the tree and not starving (the stats on the roasted birchnut will likely get tuned further and there will probably be some crockpot uses for it). In the next update, there will be a way to replenish the trees. But it will come at a price ;)

Oooh, now that all sounds interesting, new recipes and a mysterious way to replenish :D

The change to the birchnut tree drops was quite deliberate: we want you to make a choice between replanting the tree and not starving (the stats on the roasted birchnut will likely get tuned further and there will probably be some crockpot uses for it). In the next update, there will be a way to replenish the trees. But it will come at a price ;)

Oh goody! A new reward/penalty mechanism :) Don't Starve is turning into a strict mistress she is! As long as the price isn't in the sense 1 nut per tree, so you never can increase the total amount of birchnut trees. But I am happy that they are different from pines, so they wont just be a reskin.

I think they'd like to do it reverse - two birchnuts but one edible only. In any case, that is hardly a "price" to pay. So Birchnuts, because they are more valuable than pine cones because they yield food, demands more than just chopping down a tree to get to multiply. Fertilizer? Eaten by catcoon who poops "processed" seeds that can be planted?

By the way, my last name is Birch, so I find the concept of eating roasted birchnuts slightly disturbing! :nightmare:

I wonder if this renewal method will be connected to the dragonfly somehow.  Hmm...

Pretty sure you're going to have to fight a 'deciduous tree monster' for them.  Check Ferris' post here:  http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/31892-reign-of-giants-your-discoveries/?p=430049   Look at the "treedrake" art.  its pretty clearly a deciduous tree monster of some sort.  Question is will it drop more birchnuts then it takes to spawn one.  I'm wondering if they're different from regular treeguards in terms of how they appear.  Maybe they're minions to an actual deciduous treeguard, and he'll just keep spawning them?  Or maybe I'm way off.  The suspense!

Edit: That art actually reminds me of the eyeplant a lot...

Pretty sure you're going to have to fight a 'deciduous tree monster' for them.  Check Ferris' post here:  http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/31892-reign-of-giants-your-discoveries/?p=430049   Look at the "treedrake" art.  its pretty clearly a deciduous tree monster of some sort.  Question is will it drop more birchnuts then it takes to spawn one.  I'm wondering if they're different from regular treeguards in terms of how they appear.  Maybe they're minions to an actual deciduous treeguard, and he'll just keep spawning them?  Or maybe I'm way off.  The suspense!

Edit: That art actually reminds me of the eyeplant a lot...

I'd seen the post before, though thought it was more of a treeguard type thing.  You may be right.  I think they found files for something more treeguard-like (or labeled as one) for the birchnut trees.  Suspense, indeed!

ETA: Looking at it again, you're right.  It does look a lot like the files did for the eyeplants.

Dragonfly as in the summer giant? Myself I'm confused about the summer giant completely!

Btw, admins: by having one birchnut to drop and only for the adult tree is a big peoblem because sometimes I can't see the difference between a teen birch tree and a grown birch tree. If you're not thinking to re-add two seeds for the adult tree at least let the teen tree havw a seed too! I already chopped down two teen birch trees when I thought they were adult ans that's a big problem. Basically I'll be left with zero birch trees in the end like that. And if you're thinking of having recipes for the birchnut trees then the adult ones HAS to have 2 birchnuts otherways the food they make will be nonrenewable and I think you're starting to take this birchnut thing a bit too seriously. If we already can't eat birchnuts as raw why to decrease the amound of them? I like to plant more trees most of the time than I chop actually and this kind of system PISSES ME OFF!

The deciduous tree monster does actually have an "additional loot chance" to it that made me think it'd be the source of extra nuts, but Seth said "at a price", not "at a risk".  At a price suggests we have to make a sacrifice of some sort.

If I can just steal this idea for a moment...

Possibly Catcoons climb a tree, get a seed and then plant it somewhere by themselves?

I think something like this should happen more often. Makes the world seem more alive and realistic. After all, right now, imagine if the player wasn't there to replant pinecones once there was a forest fire or whatever? 

I already chopped down two teen birch trees when I thought they were adult ans that's a big problem.

Teen birch have branch like that : I/

Adult have branch like that : \I/

This way you could quickly see the growing stade of the tree.

The deciduous tree monster does actually have an "additional loot chance" to it that made me think it'd be the source of extra nuts, but Seth said "at a price", not "at a risk".  At a price suggests we have to make a sacrifice of some sort.

Well, your health/life could be considered a price.  Not to mention sanity.  He was probably speaking loosely.

Archived