Penguins

Hypno

Beg your Pardon People but For a reason It wont load me the FAQ pae s ill post my question here.

So I had to play DS for quite a time and I forgot If I didnt even see some mobs new/old ones,Anyways.

I was playing happily till the Winter came.My Camp was surrounded by water to just make it a bit more controllable.And then they came.Penguins.They scared the soul out of me but anyways.I tried to take their eggs(You know Always a nice meal with eggs and bacon is good to eat i the winter) And they were taking them away.A little time later I noticed a rotten Egg sitting in the middle of them And as I walked towards it the penguins looked like they didnt care So I tried to take it.Then I Died in like 0.5 seconds from them I kind of raged but whatever,Is there a way to take their eggs without them noticing?Is there a way to prevent them from splashing in my base?

I believe the only way to get their eggs is to kill them. Don't do that though, because all of them will attack you if you attack just one of them.

As for a way to get them out of your base, there is no way I am aware of to do that, except killing of course.

I'm not sure of the exact timing, but I believe it's about halfway or maybe two-thirds through their life cycle when you can run into them quickly enough to steal their eggs off the ground. Otherwise they'll just grab them back up. They won't always be aggro, only if you try to actually kill one - or - if it's towards the end of their life cycle. Since this happened to you when a rotten egg was on the ground, it was likely the end of their lives.

BTW they are called Pengulls as for the portmanteau of Penguin and Seagull, 

Pengulls will always attack you if they are around and you try to take their (rotten) eggs.

However, if you are fast enough and can grab a non-rotten egg before they hide it away, they will not attack you. But the only way to get a grabbed egg is to fight them.

Back to rotten eggs. if you really can't wait for winter to almost end and them to disappear leaving the rotten eggs (or eggs if left on the ground that will soon become rotten,) then grab and run until they leave you alone, or fight them one at a time and not in a group swarm. Really it's just not worth it fighting them so waiting is the best option unless you have speed boosting somehow  (such as a walking cane or system overload) to grab and go before they can  hit you. 

I'm extremely surprised that none of the above posters have said this. Make a torch, and nab those eggs while the pengulls are sleeping. So long as you don't attack the things they won't wake up, allowing you to pluck eggs to your heart's content while the sun's still down.

I'm extremely surprised that none of the above posters have said this. Make a torch, and nab those eggs while the pengulls are sleeping. So long as you don't attack the things they won't wake up, allowing you to pluck eggs to your heart's content while the sun's still down.

Well Nice Idea,Except that I actually tried that And No Eggs were around

Well Nice Idea,Except that I actually tried that And No Eggs were around

Sometimes there are, and sometimes there are not. But unless you stay too close to the pengulls before they fall asleep, there are usually some on the ground at night.

But if you want to be perfectly sure to get the eggs, you can plant tooth traps on the ice, where the pengulls hang out. But if you do that, the pengulls will die, so you won't get any new eggs from that place later.

That "trick" will get you some meat though (along with the eggs). :D

So you want some eggs, do ya?

Eggs don't burn, so plant a bunch of trees around the ice patch they walk on and torch it.  They scoot around and panic quite a bit so make the tree patch a little bigger than the ice if you want to get them all.  Also I think bigger trees burn harder so maybe let them grow a bit?

I suppose if this is right in your base this may not be an option depending on the flammability of the area.

Does dynamite aggro peaceful animals?

I just push them away, one by one, while they are awake. About three screens away I beat them to death. It's like a murder mystery. Only the pengull detective never finds out who the murderer is, until he is taken away and gets murdered as well. Muahahaha! Yeah, maybe I'm a little evil.

just a little...

Dude Pengull are the easiest source of food, they make the Winter so easy (might even be too OP). If you want the eggs you can either collect them while they sleep with a torch or you can kill them, but don´t kill them when they are in a pack. What you gotta do is cut the off the group by sliding them away, once it´s far enough, you can kill it easy.

Archived