Items you never seem to use - but could be good?

We all know the Night Light wins as "the most useless item ever" but I'm interested in what stuff that could be good, but never seems to work out so you never bother with it.  I'll start.

Marble suit - speed is just way more important to me. Even with marble drops now in caves.

Night armor - never tried this. Insanity loss feels like too much of an issue.

Bee mines - tried these once in the caves against worms but Lobsters worked way better. Tooth traps are just way better for all other mobs I've seen.

Piggy back - speed again. 4 slots is not worth it.

Fishing pole - I've done it just for fun, and some of the food you can make, but it takes too much time. Rabbit traps, bee boxes and farms are "set and forget" and free food when you get home at dusk.

One man band - This seems like something intentionally put there just to RP a little bit. 5 or 6 monster meat (and free slot to wear armor) is a way better way to do it.

Beekeeper hat - I just outrun bees. In fact, only time I died with bees was trying out a hat to see how much it protected me.

Just added:

Boomerang - standing there waiting to catch it while some mob is charging back at me? Not any more. I can stockpile blow darts now when I need range.

I'm waiting for 23rd to make a "Your mom" joke.

Too easy.

Your dad.

EDIT: Walls. I know if I could just place them in a satisfying formation they would be incredible assets to me, but I can never get them to look right and just end up going full Tarzan mode.

I happen to like Marble suits in early/mid game if I find a bunch of Killer Bee's nests and/or just want to kill a Bunch of found Guardian Pigs quickly without having set up any Magic/found the swamp yet.

It is a nice lazy person's tanking item until you find the better stuff. 

But if you don't play Wolfgang, i can understand why one wouldn't use it as much....

Oh, my item, the Compass. Why do I care which way is north besides "restoring my screen to the original upright position?" I think I can figure that out;. it has so much other uses potential though....

(Technically, I KNOW the Potted plant wins this logistically for most useless, but it just LOOKS so darn nice, I don't care.) 

I (inexplicably) never used to use a Crock Pot. Wasn't until about 5 months after I started playing that I realised, hang on, these things are actually pretty useful. I'd recommend using the items you never seem to use. Sometimes they can lead you to a different (and interesting) playstyle. :)

I never use magic items.  Any of them.  I also don't use bee mines or tooth traps.  Why bother taking the time to set up some panic room covered in traps when I can just run to the local pig village?

Up to about day 80 or so that works. Then the hounds come 7-10 at a time, and often in the middle of the night.  I've survived a few awful nights running around a small campfire waiting for daylight and pig salvation - but I've also died more that way than any other (well, until the Caves came out).

Oh, my item, the Compass. Why do I care which way is north besides "restoring my screen to the original upright position?" I think I can figure that out;. it has so much other uses potential though....

(Technically, I KNOW the Potted plant wins this logistically for most useless, but it just LOOKS so darn nice, I don't care.) 

Definitely on the compass. In fact, I reset the Q and E keys to not rotate the screen (I set T and Y to rotate so I never accidentally rotate the screen when reaching for W while kiting). I only rotate the screen in very special circumstances, and then immediately rotate it back.

I made one potted plant. Got all happy at my first "pure fun" item, and then it burned up in a fire hound raid. Dumb, but hey, I thought it looked great next to that wall entrance!

I made one potted plant. Got all happy at my first "pure fun" item, and then it burned up in a fire hound raid. Dumb, but hey, I thought it looked great next to that wall entrance!

Exactly how I like it....now if only they would make a Mud Mat (it's certainly not a "Welcome Mat" as nothing besides Chester is truly welcome in that world.)

umbrella, even playing as wx-78 i find it to be completely worthless. i usually have plenty of heals and want the system overload, other characters just don't need it.

I didn't use my umbrella once during rain while playing WX-78, I was just getting to rumble with five spider queen's with my army of 15 pigs, all of that was taking a place in a huge, thick forest... there were no surivors...

I see you have never tried placing farms...

I spent like an half-hour trying to get the orientation right.

Now about the umbrella... I never ever ever crafted one until my first world with WX, and even than I've crafted it just for fun because the damage suffered by WX during rain is negligible. But boy oh boy, once I equipped it and heard  the noise made by the rain droplets hitting the umbrella I was... stupefied, and ever since I equip an umbrella whenever I have it close by while raining, no matter what character I'm playing. What can I say, I'm a role-playing *****. :razz:

I've never crafted a firestaff and probably never will. (and if there's one in my inventory/base that is because it was found in a setpiece :grin: ). Same for the compass. And the NightLight. And the Chilled Amulet. Piggyback. Fur Roll (only from cave setpiece). Sleep/Fire Dart. Bee Mine.Telelocator. Yep, that pretty much sums it up.

Archived