Why do people hate caves?

Caves and Ruins are the half of the game experience with a lot of dangers hidding in the darkness.In the beging the cave is peaceful to be honest,as the cave system days goes on and the cave become very old the caves/ruins become more and more dangerous.Imagine that i have a cave with more than 250 days and some areas are infested with spiders swarms because nests doesnt stop to generate except if u break em down,counting to more than 200 spiders each area.Also depth worms attack in packs of 5-6 per wave.Extreme danger,great fights,epic massive loot at the very advanced caves.

Also if u fully explore ruins,it should be a pain in the ass in the begining but an advanced ruins exploration its again epic rewarding.Unlimited nightmare fuel,access to new items,be allied with broken clockworks and raid the place,fight the rhino boss down there and built ur own turret for protection in surface and other blah blah blah.Caves ftw.... ;)

I think it is funny that people call the caves "optional". Here is the list of "mandatory" things you must do in order to survive.

Gather food

Gather wood with either a 1 time investment into 10 stone or continuesly gathering grass

Get sanity increasing items

That's it. EVERYTHING else in the game is optional. Your argument is invalid.

I think it is funny that people call the caves "optional". Here is the list of "mandatory" things you must do in order to survive.

Gather food

Gather wood with either a 1 time investment into 10 stone or continuesly gathering grass

Thank you, good sir.

I go in the caves for the same reason I went into adventure mode- for a fun chalenge.

"Oh, but you need to go in adventure mode to unlock certain things and that's how you beat the game" Shut up. Wes came unlocked for me in the sanity update, and I couldn't care less about the other guy. And about finishing the game? Well I'm still playing after beating AM twice, do you think I feel like I beat the game?!? Cause I don't!

I've never actually been in the caves for longer then 15 seconds, but judging by the forum topics and responses it seems like the biggest reason people hate caves is that there's hardly any incentive to go down there, you can go down there for 30 seconds and grab enough stuff for a bunny hutch and a miners helmet, the thulecite stuff is nice, but hardly necessary to fight anything

I've never actually been in the caves for longer then 15 seconds, but judging by the forum topics and responses it seems like the biggest reason people hate caves is that there's hardly any incentive to go down there, you can go down there for 30 seconds and grab enough stuff for a bunny hutch and a miners helmet, the thulecite stuff is nice, but hardly necessary to fight anything

It's just if you're starting a game, it's too high risk for not enough reward, and made for late-game playing (pretty much) only. I'd like it more if it had beginner, mid and late game areas one could access. 

And if you don't go in there or just pop in and out, then go in at a later progression (around 60+ days into the game) you can get an immediate depth worm thing, not based on the time actually spent in the caves, but the total elapsed game time. Unfortunately, I have experienced this. 

I'd like it if the elapsed time spent in caves worked like the elapsed time above ground where that cave time determines the worm number and frequency. 

The items you can make there you don't need them outside, if you make it enough to make it to cave than you can survive as you are without caves. The only good thing about cave items is they help you to survive caves which you need to survive to get. Why would i risk my life?

I just moved into a cave and apart from eternal darkness and sanity, nothing bad has happened.

There are skylights in certain areas, and there are plenty of bushes, grass and twigs to eat and make torches. Is there some other downside?

You don't meet the worms that why you don't understand...

Gather food

You're missing the point entirely. Almost everything in the game that is 'optional' has its own risks and rewards for doing it. For me, a large part of the fun of the game is, in fact, figuring out what optional thing I'm going to do that will give me the best chance of survival. Caves aren't really like that. As far as I can tell, going into caves is always bad for you.

But that's not really why I don't like them. I mean, I like adventure mode, and it's completely optional. What I don't like about caves is that, in them, the gameplay is fundamentally different than on the surface. I've already described this at great length, but to sum up:

Gameplay in caves isn't about survival. You cannot find the resources to sustain yourself in them. You're supposed to keep returning to the surface whenever you start running low on health/sanity/food/armor/weapons/etc. That means that in caves you have a permanent safety net. If I started running out of any of those things on the surface, I'd have to start thinking about the best way to get more. In caves, the best solution is always to return to the surface. Also, even death doesn't seem like as big a deal in caves. If you die on the surface, whatever problems killed you will still be waiting for you after you resurrect. If you die in caves, whatever problem killed you probably isn't going to follow you to the surface. On the whole, this makes caves feel more like a sight-seeing expedition than a survival situation.

If you like caves in spite of that, that's fine. I'm not saying caves are bad. I'm saying they change core gameplay mechanics, and I don't happen to like the way they change them.

Well id say caves are for a optional experience. Of course you can never set foot in caves except for stone, flint, and maybe gold if you wanted but if you already have everything done on land it will get repetitive. Im on day 55 and already explored every part of my world so im setting up a cave camp to move to after winter. Only thing i hate about em is them worms, no matter my armor i still get massive damage for.some reason. Main point: land will be boring and if you want a new.challenge start caves. Once thats boring start ruins. After all that, well if you live, then you can repeat. Also everything you need to survive on land is in caves. You nake yourself go to land because thats your safety. Prevent yourself from going and you might have more fun searching for survival needs. Only thing i can think of that isnt in caves is hounds teeth for sewing kits or traps and bees for mines. So set up a camp before goin down and.stay

Archived