So much fail as of late DX

For hounds, my only emergency strategy would be run around with a torch until dawn. Then lure hounds to daytime creatures.

Please, just lure them to spiders. I was in a freezing winter scenario for crying out loud and even then I got spiders to take care of five hounds (the mothers FINALLY dropped teeth then, geez)

WHY?! WHY IS MY LUCK THIS BAD!?

Right at the end of Winter, BLAMO DEERCLOPS. All up in my base! All mah pigs died. But, somehow, through a combination of professional kiting(Had a walking cane but didn't use it), an ice staff, and  meat stew, I vanquished the mighty terror, and without losing any of my structures!

And, to top it all off, winter ended 4 days early : D

But SERIOUSLY. First winter deerclops screws up my stuff 99.999% of the time. How does this keep happening? Am I cursed?

some people might say this is cheating but you can put deerclops on less in the settings

some people might say this is cheating but you can put deerclops on less in the settings

According to the wiki this will have zero effect on anything. Default spawns 1 Deerclops every Winter, and Less spawns 1 Deerclops every Winter.

Listen. I don't know if you've won adventure mode, but for me, it was like a huge training ground for survival strategies. I reccomend playing through it again and again, until you feel that you can master every challenge. (This goes especially for permawinter, darkness and lacking resources. You can practice in the world customization.) Once I beat it, I felt that survival was a piece of cake. But think about it, what is it that keep killing you? Unstable production of food, lacking defense mechanisms, natural causes, boss battles..? I Personally, my first priority is to discover as much as I can (pinpoint everything useful, grab free stuff) and eradicate most spider nests on the map before day 6. I don't make camps, I just run around with torches. Next, quickly set up camp in the best placement and start working on durable food production (bees/farms/bushes/etc), warm clothes, good sanity items, touchstones and defense mechanisms. When winter comes, I chase down koalefants and McTusks. (His hounds are great for teeth. It seems that you can never get enough teeth.) For some reason, I've only met Deerclops a few times. When you hear him, you can run away or lead him somewhere where he can get beat up. If you don't have sufficient traps or mobs, use lureplants, pengulls, bees and whatever you've got. ;) Usually, I am more or less "done" before winter's over. Next is just improving defenses and preparing for cave exploration and combat. Shorter trips can be made to the caves for resources before that, just remember to prepare. Survival isn't really an issue after day 50, so don't worry, it only gets easier. :-)

Listen. I don't know if you've won adventure mode, but for me, it was like a huge training ground for survival strategies. I reccomend playing through it again and again, until you feel that you can master every challenge. (This goes especially for permawinter, darkness and lacking resources. You can practice in the world customization.) Once I beat it, I felt that survival was a piece of cake. But think about it, what is it that keep killing you? Unstable production of food, lacking defense mechanisms, natural causes, boss battles..? I Personally, my first priority is to discover as much as I can (pinpoint everything useful, grab free stuff) and eradicate most spider nests on the map before day 6. I don't make camps, I just run around with torches. Next, quickly set up camp in the best placement and start working on durable food production (bees/farms/bushes/etc), warm clothes, good sanity items, touchstones and defense mechanisms. When winter comes, I chase down koalefants and McTusks. (His hounds are great for teeth. It seems that you can never get enough teeth.) For some reason, I've only met Deerclops a few times. When you hear him, you can run away or lead him somewhere where he can get beat up. If you don't have sufficient traps or mobs, use lureplants, pengulls, bees and whatever you've got. ;) Usually, I am more or less "done" before winter's over. Next is just improving defenses and preparing for cave exploration and combat. Shorter trips can be made to the caves for resources before that, just remember to prepare. Survival isn't really an issue after day 50, so don't worry, it only gets easier. :-)

I have not beaten Adventure Mode. Haven't even found the portal yet. Did make a Divining Rod, however. What always kills me is usually a failure to think, or a failure to do something really super-basic and obvious because of time pressures.

GL and may you find a certain quiet character in your first successful victory. 

My first trip through Adventure Mode was kind of a botch. Had to cheat my way to victory because some THings didn't spawn, and I forgot to bring the divining rod on Two Worlds. Didn't find Wes, either. But I did bumble my way to victory.

(P.S: I hate having to cheat to victory. Never gonna do that again)

This is basically going to turn into a log thread of stuff that happens.

Well, having thoroughly botched the Wolfgang playthrough in various manners, i'm gonna start over.....and it looks like Wendy this time around. Ohhhh boy.

Seems like my last few playthroughs have all ended up with stupid deaths.

Let's see....

PLaythrough 1: Wilson. Lasted 6 days, then got falcon pecked to death by Tallbird.

playthrough 2: Willow. Lasted 40 says, then accidentally angered some Bunnymen(WHY. WHY is fish considered meat?!)with my fishsticks and got killed by a pack of four. I had a Touch Stone active above ground, but I never got to it, because RPG HUD was broken!

Not to mention, i've never survived to 100 days in a single playthrough ever. In my entire life of playing DS. Why am I such a noob?! Dx

I r fail. *sigh*

Now comes the Wolfgang playthrough....I heavily suspect i'm going to fail again. Any tips for extending this next one? Maybe so that I survive long enough to see 50 days?

Yeah, my record is day 49, with longer summer on...

lol, it really is best to not ever play with the settings and learn on a default world.

try this instead. keep an actual day to day log of what you do, what you plan on doing, and the over all goal you desire to achieve over the next 40 days.

i did this a long time ago and it helped a lot, not only that but others may give helpful hints on how to deal with certain situations as you post, for instance one time i died in the middle of one of those killer bee fields, and had to get my gear back.... what a fiasco, but i got some hints, and ended up not only getting my stuff back but cleared the entire area of hives(and had a lot of bee hives after that)

lol, it really is best to not ever play with the settings and learn on a default world.

try this instead. keep an actual day to day log of what you do, what you plan on doing, and the over all goal you desire to achieve over the next 40 days.

i did this a long time ago and it helped a lot, not only that but others may give helpful hints on how to deal with certain situations as you post, for instance one time i died in the middle of one of those killer bee fields, and had to get my gear back.... what a fiasco, but i got some hints, and ended up not only getting my stuff back but cleared the entire area of hives(and had a lot of bee hives after that)

I tried a default world a few times. Died from not being able to find resources. Really, I have some bad luck of the draw on default worlds. I want my world to be challenging in a different way from the default world setup. And I would do a day by day.......just had a thought.

What if I made it more like a diary entry?

Luck is a big player, too.

I'm playing Woodie at the moment and while some events are expected (I have not yet rampaged without spawning a treeguard, gnaw that many trees and statistics takes over) others are not.

For instance, human Woodie running from a regularly scheduled ice hound attack and then Deerclops stomps in. With low healing, no food, and "to the swamp!" being my plan.

I have never had to eat green mushrooms for their food value before...

I am totally failing at my current game.  Wickerbottom, like day 270something.  Both touchstones lost to deaths in a cave.  First effigy lost to tentacles I summoned to kill some merms.  Second effigy lost to a mob of spiders that suddenly overwhelmed the huge number of pigs they were fighting.  Third effigy lost to a oddly long range attack from a spider queen that I thought was targeting the tentacle that was smacking it around, one day after building it.  Fourth effigy up.  I think confidence is making me careless.  I haven't died this much in any other game yet.

On the plus side I've got 15 hives and 20 farms going with more on the way.  I really like being able to create tentacles, it is truly sweet.  Killed a deeclops with a group of tentacles right in the middle of a forest.

I am totally failing at my current game.  Wickerbottom, like day 270something.  Both touchstones lost to deaths in a cave.  First effigy lost to tentacles I summoned to kill some merms.  Second effigy lost to a mob of spiders that suddenly overwhelmed the huge number of pigs they were fighting.  Third effigy lost to a oddly long range attack from a spider queen that I thought was targeting the tentacle that was smacking it around, one day after building it.  Fourth effigy up.  I think confidence is making me careless.  I haven't died this much in any other game yet.

On the plus side I've got 15 hives and 20 farms going with more on the way.  I really like being able to create tentacles, it is truly sweet.  Killed a deeclops with a group of tentacles right in the middle of a forest.

At least you're not running out of effigies.

Archived