What Causes Lureplants To Spawn?

Iris

Started a new game and much to my surprise, a lureplant and its eyeplants spawned on my base around day 14. Scared the hell out of me, I was heading back to base at night with a torch and ran right into a bunch of eyeballs.

What causes the lureplant to spawn and how can I avoid it?

As far as I know, they just spawn randomly and nothing triggers them. I think a certain number of days have to pass before they spawn, but I can't remember how many.

As for how to stop them from spawning, they won't spawn on rocky terrain or on some artificial turfs such as wood floors.

As far as I know, they just spawn randomly and nothing triggers them. I think a certain number of days have to pass before they spawn, but I can't remember how many.

As for how to stop them from spawning, they won't spawn on rocky terrain or on some artificial turfs such as wood floors.

Eh, I'm not a fan of them. If they really do spawn randomly and they're just imposed on us like that... well, thats a huge pita.

OK, that must not be the case anymore.

I do know that the lureplants will only spawn on parts of the world you've already explored.

Thanks for the help jbeetle.

What the game does is log the player's recent positions (the player's "trail"), and then try to spawn a lureplant along it. The spawn is indeed restricted to ground type (unlike direct planting of a lureplant).

I believe opening a sink hole for the first time triggers it.

I used to think that as well, and was disappointed to see I was wrong. I guess inside Pandora's Box there's only... bats.

Isn't there a greater probability that they will spawn in areas that you occupy a lot (say, near your farms or fire pit).

Ever since lining my entire base with cobblestone I haven't had any surprises though.

I'm working on doing this as we speak.  :wickerbottomthanks:

They spawn every 10 days.

There is no set date, its a random chance to spawn in an area where you have traveled to before.

Every 9-15 days

Via tuning.lua 

LUREPLANT_SPAWNTIME = total_day_time * 12,LUREPLANT_SPAWNTIME_VARIANCE = total_day_time * 3,

Debate over.

Funny, I used to though, that they have chances to spawn in places, where some meat was left to root. Simplex's post corrected me on that - well, no surprise that I got wrong idea, as usually, there is some meat left in places where you have been lately (monster meat, most of the times).

/Estel

And for those who want to learn more and don't worry about potential spoiler info, the wiki entry is here

From the entry regarding terrain and spawning:

A Lureplant will only spawn in a location situated within a certain distance of any area the player has previously walked, but will not grow on certain terrain types (man-made turfs, rocky turfs or spider creep). This can be where the player is standing currently (on screen), but it actually has a range well beyond what one uncovers on the map, so it may not be noticed right away. However, unlike other changes to the landscape, the map updates immediately when a Lureplant has spawned, without requiring the player revisit the location. This makes detecting a Lureplant spawn easier.

Archived