[Testing] When In Doubt, Use Brute Force

simplex

I just had my shopkeeper killed by a tallbird, do I need to start over, or will he come back?

He'll appear again the next time it rains. But in a different position along the road (you'll have to find him again, but after found he'll not despawn unless he's attacked).

Hmm, perhaps he should not disappear when attacked by other entities.

Maybe. But it would look silly to have him just staying there while some monster mauls at him. Perhaps we should just give him the "notarget" tag?

Maybe. But it would look silly to have him just staying there while some monster mauls at him. Perhaps we should just give him the "notarget" tag?

That would probably suffice. I found that I myself accidentally hit him when I found him in my world.

Okay, so i've been playing the prealpha, finally. It's looking very nice....when I can get stable FPS worth a damn.

I'm constantly getting lag spikes. Especially when lightning starts happening, with the ball lightning and the Thunder Trees.....and on and on....

The static mechanic is nice, but my processor does not agree. Like an in-law frowning upon a relative's choice of personal relations.

Okay, so i've been playing the prealpha, finally. It's looking very nice....when I can get stable FPS worth a damn.

I'm constantly getting lag spikes. Especially when lightning starts happening, with the ball lightning and the Thunder Trees.....and on and on....

The static mechanic is nice, but my processor does not agree. Like an in-law frowning upon a relative's choice of personal relations.

Okay, so I made some changes, and your performance may be better, at least as far as thunder trees and ball lightnings go.

UpAndAway-prealpha.zip

I did not see a feedback thread, so I'll just put this here. One thing that may need adjusting if possible is the placement of the biomes. In my latest cloudrealm, I had a dragonblood forest appear right next to a beanlet spawn area with a ton of geese as well. I thought "great, I'll set up here and have endless golden eggs". I am not sure what started it all, but I am sure there were some owls there as well, within a few days, it was total war. Something angered the beanlets, which spawned a beanclops, which spawned tentacles, which killed more stuff.

The owls were wiped out first. After destroying the beanclops, another was spawned (I had killed no beanlets). The geese were soon extinct after that, being systematically eradicated by angry beanlets and tentacles. Second beanclops destroyed all owl huts ( I presume), then was killed. After that there were still tentacles swarming the beanlet hut area.

I am not sure if these were lingering from beanclops or coming all the way from the forest, but the distance seemed large to come from there. If it is not this way, I would suggest beanclops' tentacles be constrained to his immediate area and die off when he does. I also think that these two biomes (dragonblood forest and beanlet huts) should be separated a bit more if possible.

Also are there minimap icons for Owl Huts, and Crystals yet? I didn't see any, but the compiler may have wiped them out.

I did not see a feedback thread, so I'll just put this here. One thing that may need adjusting if possible is the placement of the biomes. In my latest cloudrealm, I had a dragonblood forest appear right next to a beanlet spawn area with a ton of geese as well. I thought "great, I'll set up here and have endless golden eggs". I am not sure what started it all, but I am sure there were some owls there as well, within a few days, it was total war. Something angered the beanlets, which spawned a beanclops, which spawned tentacles, which killed more stuff.

The owls were wiped out first. After destroying the beanclops, another was spawned (I had killed no beanlets). The geese were soon extinct after that, being systematically eradicated by angry beanlets and tentacles. Second beanclops destroyed all owl huts ( I presume), then was killed. After that there were still tentacles swarming the beanlet hut area.

I am not sure if these were lingering from beanclops or coming all the way from the forest, but the distance seemed large to come from there. If it is not this way, I would suggest beanclops' tentacles be constrained to his immediate area and die off when he does. I also think that these two biomes (dragonblood forest and beanlet huts) should be separated a bit more if possible.

Also are there minimap icons for Owl Huts, and Crystals yet? I didn't see any, but the compiler may have wiped them out.

There are no minimap icons for the crystals yet. (There likely will be soon though.)

We'll definitely take a look at this stuff.

Another item I was questioning was the refiner. Maybe I am missing the point, but it would make more sense to me to be able to refine cloudrealm materials from earthbound materials, not vice versa. ie. Crystals and such for lamps.

Is there another purpose to this I am missing?

Another one that got me curious was the weather changer (can't recall the name). It seems to only bring on or eliminate static, then explodes after one use, which seems very cheap for a 6 gear investment. Again, am I missing some purpose of this? Maybe more useful on the ground, but still pricey.

Another item I was questioning was the refiner. Maybe I am missing the point, but it would make more sense to me to be able to refine cloudrealm materials from earthbound materials, not vice versa. ie. Crystals and such for lamps.

Is there another purpose to this I am missing?

Our motivation for the refiner was that we don't have many vanilla resources on the cloudrealm, which would make it hard for a player to stay there for extended periods of time (due to the inability to craft many standard recipes). So the refiner acts as a converter to allow obtaining these resources.

Though making it act as a bidirectional converter is not a bad idea, provided it produces less output than the amount given as input.

Another one that got me curious was the weather changer (can't recall the name). It seems to only bring on or eliminate static, then explodes after one use, which seems very cheap for a 6 gear investment. Again, am I missing some purpose of this? Maybe more useful on the ground, but still pricey.

When used on the cloudrealm, it creates permanent static, which only gets reversed when it's used again (when a new one is used, I mean). It also changes the cloudrealm season from permanent winter to permanent autumn (or permanent summer, if RoG is not enabled), with the season being reverted back to permanent winter when it's used again to disable static.

When used on the surface, it randomly changes the season or triggers a weather effect, such as rain.

Our motivation for the refiner was that we don't have many vanilla resources on the cloudrealm, which would make it hard for a player to stay there for extended periods of time (due to the inability to craft many standard recipes). So the refiner acts as a converter to allow obtaining these resources.

Though making it act as a bidirectional converter is not a bad idea, provided it produces less output than the amount given as input.

When used on the cloudrealm, it creates permanent static, which only gets reversed when it's used again (when a new one is used, I mean). It also changes the cloudrealm season from permanent winter to permanent autumn (or permanent summer, if RoG is not enabled), with the season being reverted back to permanent winter when it's used again to disable static.

When used on the surface, it randomly changes the season or triggers a weather effect, such as rain.

Makes sense, thank you.

TESTTESTTESTMUSTTESTYESTOTEST

Can anybody give me a list of potion and tea recipies?

We don'e have proper potions yet, but the cauldron does produce "deadlyfeast" and "jammypreserves". The teas are "greentea", "blacktea", "sweet_greentea" and "sweet_blacktea", but the black teas can't be made without spawning them in yet.

Two testing things:

- Winnie seems to be vegan (sanity penalty for eating eggs, is this intentional or comes from eggs being meat in case of DS cooking rules)

- Misspelling in Winnie quote (fireplace one before roaring - "Perfect for roasing chestnuts." Captain, we are missing a "t"!

Two testing things:

- Winnie seems to be vegan (sanity penalty for eating eggs, is this intentional or comes from eggs being meat in case of DS cooking rules)

- Misspelling in Winnie quote (fireplace one before roaring - "Perfect for roasing chestnuts." Captain, we are missing a "t"!

It's the way that the game classifies food. We could probably add exceptions for particular items, but we'll see what people have to say about it.

Roasing. Roasing chestnuts. I'll likely fix that when I change the mod icon to Vivalavie's.

So i tried going up the beanstalk and got this.

lh0gHKk.jpg

I had Reign of Giants enabled, and had Glommer and Chester with me.

Whenever I look at my save, it says cloudrealm, and when I try to get on it, this keeps popping up.

lh0gHKk.jpg

Whenever I look at my save, it says cloudrealm, and when I try to get on it, this keeps popping up.

It's a vanilla issue. The recent patch broke mods during worldgen.

Read the top of the patch notes (Known Major Issues) for the last Don't Starve update (affecting not just RoG, but vanilla as well). It broke mod support completely. More precisely, now the game crashes when ANY mod is enabled at worldgen. So Up and Away is unplayable: we need it enabled at worldgen to, well, generate the world.

Archived