[Testing] When In Doubt, Use Brute Force

simplex

Played a bit after it is working again...

The Octoper is aggroing a Moose and ignoring the player (although it doesn't attack/kill the Moose) And he keeps aggroing it although I hit it with a shovel!

P6CC2iz.jpg

L66Gk5L.jpg

Also it is easily stun-locked or is he not inflicting damage at the moment in general. He never hit me once. And look who I met up there fighting the Octoper. Is killing some aurora mobs naughty or does krampus spawn because low sanity up there? Did I miss a memo? ^^

fRT9GVz.jpg

Played a bit after it is working again...

The Octoper is aggroing a Moose and ignoring the player (although it doesn't attack/kill the Moose) And he keeps aggroing it although I hit it with a shovel!

P6CC2iz.jpg

L66Gk5L.jpg

Also it is easily stun-locked or is he not inflicting damage at the moment in general. He never hit me once. And look who I met up there fighting the Octoper. Is killing some aurora mobs naughty or does krampus spawn because low sanity up there? Did I miss a memo? ^^

fRT9GVz.jpg

Winnie is more likely to spawn Krampus, due to being an 'innocent' character. Eating meat and killing things that aren't attacking you will give you naughtiness. This could be changed, but I thought it fit well with Winnie being a folky, innocent character.

As for the Octocopter, he should definitely be attacking (and chasing) you. I'm not sure why he isn't.

What am I supposed to be looking at? :razz:

That twirly tentacle area is a setpiece in vanilla. The road sometimes generates over the water in that setpiece. Or am I missing something?

Well, let's say it's hard to talk to the shopkeeper when he's surrounded by at least 10 tentacles...

EDIT: And even more to give him beefaloes when they're aggroed every 1 meter...

Well, let's say it's hard to talk to the shopkeeper when he's surrounded by at least 10 tentacles...

Hmm, I see. I'm not sure how we can address this. There may be a way to ensure he spawns in 'safe' biome, but I'm not sure...

So just wait until the next rain :razz:.

Every time it rains, he'll spawn in a different location (along the road). He only fixes his position (and stops despawning when rain stops) after you talked to him the first time. And even then, if you want to force him to change position you can attack him, which will make him despawn (spawning again the next time it rains).

So just wait until the next rain :razz:.

Every time it rains, he'll spawn in a different location (along the road). He only fixes his position (and stops despawning when rain stops) after you talked to him the first time. And even then, if you want to force him to change position you can attack him, which will make him despawn (spawning again the next time it rains).

Yes, I saw despawn. I didn't want to go up and away in this save anyway. But it was funny and hopefully it'll help you to refine your awesome mod. :)

And I have two off-topic questions : 1) How did you start the collab ? 2) Is it possible to get totally different character anims from the core game (i.e. playing as a hound) ?

Yes, I saw despawn. I didn't want to go up and away in this save anyway. But it was funny and hopefully it'll help you to refine your awesome mod. :-)

And I have two off-topic questions : 1) How did you start the collab ? 2) Is it possible to get totally different character anims from the core game (i.e. playing as a hound) ?

Well, I started it on my own (with occasional help) in June-ish of 2013, working on and off for a while (I was still very new to Don't Starve modding, and the API was growing quite nicely at the time) and then I began to think about art.

I went to Willette's art thread and dropped a request. If you notice, Willette still drops by with presents of art from time to time:

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/14130-some-art-d/page-521#entry292751

I worked on it a while longer, getting help from simplex and others.

Then this thread appeared and got some gears turning:

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/26384-challenge-for-the-mod-community/

Which quickly led to this proposition:

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/26384-challenge-for-the-mod-community/?p=295738

After all that, here we are, with an alpha release out and more updates to the mod on the way.

:grin:

As for separate animations, it's possible, but I'm not sure if we want to pursue that.

Well, I started it on my own (with occasional help) in July-ish of 2013, working on and off for a while (I was still very new to Don't Starve modding, and the API was growing quite nicely at the time) and then I began to think about art.

I went to Willette's art thread and dropped a request. If you notice, Willette still drops by with presents of art from time to time:

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/14130-some-art-d/page-521#entry292751

I worked on it a while longer, getting help from simplex and others.

Then this thread appeared and got some gears turning:

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/26384-challenge-for-the-mod-community/

Which quickly led to this proposition:

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/26384-challenge-for-the-mod-community/?p=295738

After all that, here we are, with an alpha release out and more updates to the mod on the way.

:grin:

As for separate animations, it's possible, but I'm not sure if we want to pursue that.

Thank you ! And I was asking the custom anim because I had an idea for a huge mod. Do you have a link to somewhere I could understand coding ?

Thank you ! And I was asking the custom anim because I had an idea for a huge mod. Do you have a link to somewhere I could understand coding ?

Well, this is the resource I use if I'm ever confused:

http://www.lua.org/manual/5.1/

You should also start looking at various existing mods and tutorials to see how things are done. Start with something simpler, like a character mod, and work your way up.

Coding isn't something that can really be explained quickly and properly. Basically, think of it like a building. You have walls, and support beams, and measurements, and a foundation. You can spruce it up with windows and other things, but those additions have to work with the foundation and support beams and walls.

Well, this is the resource I use if I'm ever confused:

http://www.lua.org/manual/5.1/

You should also start looking at various existing mods and tutorials to see how things are done. Start with something simpler, like a character mod, and work your way up.

Coding isn't something that can really be explained quickly and properly. Basically, think of it like a building. You have walls, and support beams, and measurements, and a foundation. You can spruce it up with windows and other things, but those additions have to work with the foundation and support beams and walls.

Thank you ! And, in fact, my idea was a character one. But with every (maybe not every, but a lot) forumer.

Hmm, I see. I'm not sure how we can address this. There may be a way to ensure he spawns in 'safe' biome, but I'm not sure...

Can't you just put in a check to see if there are any mobs around the shopkeeper's spawn point with the monster tag? If there is, attempt to spawn the shopkeeper at another point along the road.

Also, I've just started playing the alpha build and it's been really cool. Nice work everyone! A few bits of feedback/questions for you from my initial impression (i.e the 30 - 60 minutes of playing):

- Static is an awesome mechanic, I really like it. However, the length of the static is highly variable; sometimes it lasts a handful of seconds, which seems odd. Perhaps there should be minimum length of 10-15 seconds for static? I've also noticed on occasion that the light level will return to daylight levels while static is still in effect (the sheep are still storm rams, etc). Later, when the static period actually reaches its end, the light level will flicker as the game performs the lerp from darkness to daylight.

- From some reading on the forum I understand that the campfire instantly extinguishing is a feature and not a bug, but I'm not sure of the design reason as for the why this is the case. Perhaps you could still allow them to build a campfire, but it extinguishes at three times the normal rate unless you throw on logs for the cloud realm trees?

- I couldn't find the crystal relic to build the cumulator station. I assumed that it could be found form the green crystals I found (since the crystal relic was also greenish), but after breaking open half a dozen, decided this wasn't the case. I started mining other coloured crystals, hammered down a few structures, killed a number of different mobs, but still had no luck in finding it. So I did the next logical thing; I went to the wiki to see where it drops :razz: But there was only a stub for it. The next step would be to search the game files, but the average player would probably be getting frustrated at this point.

- I believe the dragonblood trees are meant to drop logs, but they didn't drop anything.

- In some areas the number of whirlwinds that spawn due static was quite high. I wasn't able to navigate it until the static passed. Not sure if this intended or not. Also if Chester gets sucked into a whirlwind, when he returns, he seems to get stuck at a certain height above the ground.

- The heat meters on the golden eggs and tea was an interesting idea, but the red-green contrast was a bit... harsh? I can't really think of a way to describe it. Maybe use a more muted red? Or update the inventory image as it cools, like the heatstone (e.g. the golden egg glows brightly when hot and hardly glows when it is cool. The tea has a cloud of steam hanging above it when it is hot, but not when cool.) Also, I was overheating at times when I had a golden egg in my inventory, which seems a bit odd to me given that its constant winter :razz: But with just a beefalo hat on, I didn't really have much problem with the cold anyway.

- The golden eggs would fall out of my inventory when static occurred, but nothing happened (I think I read that the eggs are meant to hatch?).

- It was a clever idea to have the weaver nests give you straw and twigs. Will there be other ways to get basic items, like ordinary logs, stone and silk without having to refine them?

- I know that you guys are adding more content, but the biomes seemed a bit sparely populated with prefabs at times. I found the biomes with white cloud turf to be the least interesting visually. The white flowers on the white of the cloud turf kind of blurred together, while the odd thunder tree stuck out in stark relief, in comparison.

Hope these comments are helpful!

Can't you just put in a check to see if there are any mobs around the shopkeeper's spawn point with the monster tag? If there is, attempt to spawn the shopkeeper at another point along the road.

We could, but given that the Shopkeeper will respawn at another location the next time it rains, provided you left it alone (or attacked him to force it) I don't think it's absolutely necessary. And by "not absolutely necessary" I mean "delightfully punishing, without going over the top in order to change my mind :P".

- Static is an awesome mechanic, I really like it. However, the length of the static is highly variable; sometimes it lasts a handful of seconds, which seems odd. Perhaps there should be minimum length of 10-15 seconds for static? I've also noticed on occasion that the light level will return to daylight levels while static is still in effect (the sheep are still storm rams, etc). Later, when the static period actually reaches its end, the light level will flicker as the game performs the lerp from darkness to daylight.

Yeah, we need to make both non-static and static longer periods. The values currently there were meant to make testing easier due to the fast transitioning, but they were never revised for actual gameplay balance. But static should always last at least 20 seconds, if it doesn't then that's a bug.

And I never experienced nor heard of this ambient lighting bug. Do you have more info on how/when it happens?

- From some reading on the forum I understand that the campfire instantly extinguishing is a feature and not a bug, but I'm not sure of the design reason as for the why this is the case. Perhaps you could still allow them to build a campfire, but it extinguishes at three times the normal rate unless you throw on logs for the cloud realm trees?

Which version of Up and Away have you been playing (click the U&A banner in the main screen)? Are you still on prealpha, from before our official release? Because the instant fire exinguish was removed before (but not long before) alpha-0.0.1, changed to make fire extinguish at a rate... three times faster :razz:.

But cloud fuels are not more effective than regular ones: dragonblood logs have a special effect, but otherwise our fuels are not any different than regular ones. We wanted to make fires less dependable as heat sources, stimulating the player to remain more mobile and use alternate heat sources, such as golden eggs, tea and lightning balls.

- I couldn't find the crystal relic to build the cumulator station. I assumed that it could be found form the green crystals I found (since the crystal relic was also greenish), but after breaking open half a dozen, decided this wasn't the case. I started mining other coloured crystals, hammered down a few structures, killed a number of different mobs, but still had no luck in finding it. So I did the next logical thing; I went to the wiki to see where it drops :razz: But there was only a stub for it. The next step would be to search the game files, but the average player would probably be getting frustrated at this point.

The crystal relic is its own thing. It only spawns in set pieces (in a couple owl related set pieces and around the octocopter). I really should be easier to craft, good point.

- I believe the dragonblood trees are meant to drop logs, but they didn't drop anything.

But they do! :razz:

Again, I have a strong hunch you're running a pretty old version of the mod...

- In some areas the number of whirlwinds that spawn due static was quite high. I wasn't able to navigate it until the static passed. Not sure if this intended or not. Also if Chester gets sucked into a whirlwind, when he returns, he seems to get stuck at a certain height above the ground.

We recently made whirlwinds despawn when static ends, which should prevent them from accumulating too much. But it might still need further tuning.

And I'll look into the flying Chester bug, thanks for reporting it.

- The heat meters on the golden eggs and tea was an interesting idea, but the red-green contrast was a bit... harsh? I can't really think of a way to describe it. Maybe use a more muted red? Or update the inventory image as it cools, like the heatstone (e.g. the golden egg glows brightly when hot and hardly glows when it is cool. The tea has a cloud of steam hanging above it when it is hot, but not when cool.) Also, I was overheating at times when I had a golden egg in my inventory, which seems a bit odd to me given that its constant winter :razz: But with just a beefalo hat on, I didn't really have much problem with the cold anyway.

Hey, that's what you get when I'm the one doing the art :razz:. I would love if some of our artists touched up the colours, though. But I'd rather not have this indication be done on a per item basis with visual indicators like the heat stone.

And I never heard overheating like that, at least not without a Tropospherical Relay having been used before. Did you have just one golden egg in your inventory? And did you have a heat stone as well?

- The golden eggs would fall out of my inventory when static occurred, but nothing happened (I think I read that the eggs are meant to hatch?).

They are supposed to shake and sweat, playing the sound tallbird eggs play when they're too close to a fire (about to explode). There was a bug in an older prealpha version where the animation transitions were not being handled properly, though.

- It was a clever idea to have the weaver nests give you straw and twigs. Will there be other ways to get basic items, like ordinary logs, stone and silk without having to refine them?

That's the idea. But the refiner is there as a fallback in case we don't provide enough of something.

- I know that you guys are adding more content, but the biomes seemed a bit sparely populated with prefabs at times. I found the biomes with white cloud turf to be the least interesting visually. The white flowers on the white of the cloud turf kind of blurred together, while the odd thunder tree stuck out in stark relief, in comparison.

Yeah, there's still much content to go. Our intention is to focus more on content during beta. But one way or another prefab density needs to be tweaked, right now some biomes are way too full, while others are too empty.

Hope these comments are helpful!

They certainly were!

Flying Chester bug. That's beautiful.

@simplex

The dragonblood trees only drop logs in stable, not master. The issue was that I was checking for a tag after adding it, instead of the other way around.

I'll also take a look at the crystal relic spawning and make it a little easier to find.

@chromiumboy

Thanks very much, this feedback is definitely helpful!

chromiumboy's feedback reminds me that I need to start work on the wiki. I know simplex was working on that, do I need to know anything first, like I'm sure you mentioned you'd done some coding to do with infoboxes for example?

Basically, we have imported the infoboxes from the vanilla wiki, so it should be easier to resemble it.

Archived