[Testing] When In Doubt, Use Brute Force

simplex

Also, I can't seem to get your sample tech branch to work with Up and Away. Everything seems to go without a hitch up until the point that I go near the research lectern prototyper, and that's with code identical to yours. This is the error it gave:

This indicates the prototyper component of the lectern is not being properly configured. self.accessible_tech_trees in the builder component is set in builder.lua:146

self.accessible_tech_trees = v.components.prototyper:GetTechTrees()
which is being given nil.

You may push your changes and I'll take care of it. (and by the way, the overwrite I was using is still necessary, and it's all Wickerbottom's fault)

This indicates the prototyper component of the lectern is not being properly configured. self.accessible_tech_trees in the builder component is set in builder.lua:146

self.accessible_tech_trees = v.components.prototyper:GetTechTrees()
which is being given nil.

You may push your changes and I'll take care of it. (and by the way, the overwrite I was using is still necessary, and it's all Wickerbottom's fault)

Pushed.

It's because of the way Wickerbottom handles the bonuses, or something like that, isn't it?

Pushed.

It's because of the way Wickerbottom handles the bonuses, or something like that, isn't it?

And I uploaded a new version of sample tech branch :razz:. I'll just wickerify it and plug it as a wicker plugin.

You can check the change log in the sample mod for the full list of changes, but the main thing is the addition of custom prototyper trees as well as the previous custom tech branches. This also includes displaying a custom hint text (like "Use a science machine to build a prototype!") when you're away from the corresponding structure and you haven't prototyped the item yet.

And the Wickerbottom related issue is that when the game checks if you know a recipe, the first thing it does is see if the science, magic and ancient levels of the recipe are less than or equal to the character's inherent bonus, in which case the character knows the recipe "intrinsically". The issue is that, by adding a new tech branch, "pure" recipes in that branch will be marked as intrinsically known, since their science, magic and ancient levels will be zero.

*sigh* I wish Klei would just fix that. The whole issue happens due to a measly function with 7 lines of code, 2 of which are blank. It would be a very localized change which would help a lot with concerns about mod intercompatibility.

@debugman18

I checked, and the technique in Sample Tech Branch is fully compatible with HF's Summons mod.

There are two reasons for that (pick any of them):

• HF patches the KnowsRecipe method as a component post init, while Sample Tech Branch overwrites the component method itself, so his patch always happens after out overwrite, regardless of mod loading order.
  • Even if the first reason did not hold, and we did end up overwriting his patch, Summons would still work, because our overwrite renders his patch redundant.
But geez, I had never read his Summons code before. He overwrites a lot of stuff. But it doesn't look like any of these overwrites could cause issues with U&A.

I believe someone else already wrote that particular line if I'm not mistaken.

Someone did, and quite a line it is:

But first, a gift.

After all.

No gentleman should be without a good cup of tea.

It took me quite a bit of forum scrubbing to find it, but I'm glad I did. Implementing it right now.

Someone did, and quite a line it is:

It took me quite a bit of forum scrubbing to find it, but I'm glad I did. Implementing it right now.

I mentioned this a while ago, guess you didn't notice the edit. :p

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/27745-testing-when-in-doubt-use-brute-force/page-14?p=447044#entry447044

I'm assuming you're adding the blueprint / and or the kettle to the shopkeeper?

I'm assuming you're adding the blueprint / and or the kettle to the shopkeeper?

I added the kettle as a gift. We could make it a blueprint, I just think having it be a unique item received as a gift is nice. And handy as a means of obtaining heat (though I don't know if many players will think "hey, it's cold here, I better make me some tea"; but discovering things like that is part of what DS is all about, even if I think mods aren't treated the same way).

And oh, I also made the camera transitions for cutscenes smoother (while before they just rotated at a frantic speed).

Since I didn't get any feedback on the Caves Preview-like survival preset, I have to ask: what did you think of it? Do you think it's currently a good quick introduction to U&A or do you suggest some tweaks?

I made it a really easy (and tiny) survival map. Permanent autumn (or summer, in vanilla), no rain, no giants, more carrots, more flint, just easy resource rich biomes, etc. My goal was to keep the challenge level of the survival map as low as possible to help players quickly jump into the cloud realm without other worries, and having a safe haven to fall back to if they are getting crushed by the cloudrealm.

Since I didn't get any feedback on the Caves Preview-like survival preset, I have to ask: what did you think of it? Do you think it's currently a good quick introduction to U&A or do you suggest some tweaks?

I made it a really easy (and tiny) survival map. Permanent autumn (or summer, in vanilla), no rain, no giants, more carrots, more flint, just easy resource rich biomes, etc. My goal was to keep the challenge level of the survival map as low as possible to help players quickly jump into the cloud realm without other worries, and having a safe haven to fall back to if they are getting crushed by the cloudrealm.

(Forgive me if the island layout isn't the same each time you load it, since most of my feedback was from one playthrough. On a side note, I have no way to check as I'm currently at school.)

Well, I felt the beefalo herd could have been a bit closer. It took me half of the in-game day to get them to the shopkeeper.

And if you were aiming for a place to fall back to, it would be a good idea to have a couple extra chests with enough resources to help you get back to the cloud realm if you die and lose the stuff supplied in the first two chests.

(Forgive me if the island layout isn't the same each time you load it, since most of my feedback was from one playthrough. On a side note, I have no way to check as I'm currently at school.)

Well, I felt the beefalo herd could have been a bit closer. It took me half of the in-game day to get them to the shopkeeper.

Yes, the map is randomly generated. But the beefalo herd is always at a biome sharing a border with your starting one, so if you just follow its perimeter (instead of following the borders of the whole map) you should find is quickly. And from my tests they are usually very close, though some times it takes a little bit of walking.

I don't want to remove completely the beefalo/grave tracking from the map by spawning them at your face, because it's meant to replicate (albeit in a smaller and easier scale) the regular experience of getting to the cloud realm. If you're just testing the mod you might as well spawn a beanstalk :razz:.

But thanks for the feedback!

And if you were aiming for a place to fall back to, it would be a good idea to have a couple extra chests with enough resources to help you get back to the cloud realm if you die and lose the stuff supplied in the first two chests.

Hmm, what does everyone else think about this? I didn't want to make it too easy by including items even for respawns, and aimed for something more like the Caves Preview map, but this can of course be changed.

Hmm, what does everyone else think about this? I didn't want to make it too easy by including items even for respawns, and aimed for something more like the Caves Preview map, but this can of course be changed.

I can't think of anything that would be needed, aside from what's already there. Perhaps some food items would be helpful? Instead of dealing with respawns, it'd be better to just make surviving easier.

How you can turn into a tester?

You must get bitten by another tester, and then, when the moon is full, you assume the form of a bean and become filled with the overwhelming urge to test.

Just kidding. You download the mod from the FAQ and insert it into your mods folder.

You must get bitten by another tester, and then, when the moon is full, you assume the form of a bean and become filled with the overwhelming urge to test.

Just kidding. You download the mod from the FAQ and insert it into your mods folder.

Ok thanks, sometime latter you gonna have content for dev videos.

I can't think of anything that would be needed, aside from what's already there. Perhaps some food items would be helpful? Instead of dealing with respawns, it'd be better to just make surviving easier.

Hmm, jerky? Bacon and Eggs?

(and the player can always use some of those mandrakes to make mandrake soup)

Just got back from testing, and I fear that the Gummybears might be a bit OP. It took me about ten hits to kill it with a nightmare sword. Plus, it can kill you quite quickly as you can't wear any armour in the cloud realm.

Edit: Crap. Just as I craft the cumulocator station, I get kicked off my computer. On a related note, I encountered an issue with the bean wall, and the cutscene.

Archived