[Testing] When In Doubt, Use Brute Force

simplex

Well, an external indicator of when it's powered up like this would be nice. But then it'll probably require custom animations, instead of using the crockpot or science machine banks.

Could be something we can add later. Easier to just use the Crock Pot for now.

Weird.  It's not working.

Sure you're on the latest version?

I believe someone else already wrote that particular line if I'm not mistaken.

Still, if you're up for the task, you're a better writer/wordsmith than me (and most around here) for sure.  :grin:

Trying it now...

EDIT: Nope.  It still can't find the prefab...

(There's probably something really stupid that I'm missing.)

I'm pretty sure the mod is not being properly enabled, then. There's literally no other explanation for it, but if you post your log.txt we can check.

More of a question. I died in Cloud Realm, got revived with a touchstone on the surface. I climbed the Beanstalk again and spawned at the point of my dead and not at the position of the Beanstalk tip. Is this intentionally?

Also I would like if the shopkeeper lines would stay a bit longer, his longer lines I have to rush read before they vanish. And with the beans, perhaps a hint for the use could be necessary (like with Webberskull)

More of a question. I died in Cloud Realm, got revived with a touchstone on the surface. I climbed the Beanstalk again and spawned at the point of my dead and not at the position of the Beanstalk tip. Is this intentionally?

That's a consequence of how different levels work. When you return to a level, you go to your last position there. It just to happens that normally you'd exit via the beanstalk.

This used to happen for caves as well, is this not the case anymore?

(either way, I'll fix it)

Also I would like if the shopkeeper lines would stay a bit longer, his longer lines I have to rush read before they vanish. And with the beans, perhaps a hint for the use could be necessary (like with Webberskull)

Yeah, I'll make the time quotes stay be proportional to the quote's length. But I didn't get your point about the beans. He does give you a hint on what to do with them, did you feel it was too cryptic?

But I didn't get your point about the beans. He does give you a hint on what to do with them, did you feel it was too cryptic?

Well, you only get the hint if you use the beans with the shopkeeper. It is possible that players don't do it. The next idea would be using a farm to plant the beans.

(or do I read this wrong, he keeps saying ''Get to it'' otherwise) I think it is the problem of knowing to much when testing...^-^

This is something to look at if we get first test feedback from totally independent players who haven't looked at anything before playing.

Well, you only get the hint if you use the beans with the shopkeeper. It is possible that players don't do it. The next idea would be using a farm to plant the beans.

(or do I read this wrong, he keeps saying ''Get to it'' otherwise) I think it is the problem of knowing to much when testing...^-^

This is something to look at if we get first test feedback from totally independent players who haven't looked at anything before playing.

thanks for bringing this up I completely forgot to the other day, after the trade there is no indication of where they go or any tips for it what so ever

thanks for bringing this up I completely forgot to the other day, after the trade there is no indication of where they go or any tips for it what so ever

Well, the dialogue is there, telling you to put it in a grave, wait for a full moon, etc. Sounds like something bugged out when tinkering with the speech, because it worked before.

Anyway, the way speeches are handled is going to be reimplemented, so that'll be fixed then.

Apparently blizzards DO still pick up inanimate objects. Also, I got a crash trying to go near the octocopter. Log: http://pastebin.com/QBVN340E

Additionally, you might want to add more heat sources to the cloud realm. It it extremely hard to get a Moose Egg or Lightning Ball.

It's actually unrelated to the Octocopter. Simplex and I were actually just discussing this bug. As far as heat sources are concerned, I think we're going to tone down the rate at which fire dies, as well as add light sources to compensate for adding night/day cycles. (Which hasn't been done yet, but it will be.)

It's actually unrelated to the Octocopter. Simplex and I were actually just discussing this bug. As far as heat sources are concerned, I think we're going to tone down the rate at which fire dies, as well as add light sources to compensate for adding night/day cycles. (Which hasn't been done yet, but it will be.)

Oh. What's it related to, then?

It picked up a number of static objects, such as jellyshrooms and dragonblood trees.

And this is a bug with Jellyshrooms :razz:. The unpicked variety is being given inventory physics, and this is the issue. They should have no physics.

But dragonblood trees do not have physics (which is also a bug, they should have obstacle physics, which would also prevent them from being sucked into the whirlwind). I just tested it and dragonblood trees are not being affected by whirlwinds. Are you sure you say a dragonblood tree being sucked into a whirlwind, and not something else?

If you find things being affected by a whirlwind when they shouldn't, please report them (saying what they are), since that's likely an error in setting up their physics parameters.

And @debugman18, I hadn't seen the new whirlwind graphics yet, they are awesome. But I think they should be larger. Either that or the effect radius should be reduced (maybe both).

And this is a bug with Jellyshrooms :razz:. The unpicked variety is being given inventory physics, and this is the issue. They should have no physics.

But dragonblood trees do not have physics (which is also a bug, they should have obstacle physics, which would also prevent them from being sucked into the whirlwind). I just tested it and dragonblood trees are not being affected by whirlwinds. Are you sure you say a dragonblood tree being sucked into a whirlwind, and not something else?

If you find things being affected by a whirlwind when they shouldn't, please report them (saying what they are), since that's likely an error in setting up their physics parameters.

And @debugman18, I hadn't seen the new whirlwind graphics yet, they are awesome. But I think they should be larger. Either that or the effect radius should be reduced (maybe both).

I'll fix the physics issues when I implement the tech tree (ugh, though), which will be soon.

Well the graphics are a recycled Mosling/Gosling spin animation, courtesy of RoG. :p I don't Klei minds, since it's not the mob itself (nor does it practically resemble it in any way). The animation could be scaled up a little bit (and in my opinion the radius should be reduced slightly as well).

I'll fix the physics issues when I implement the tech tree (ugh, though), which will be soon.

I'm fixing them right now. I'm also making the shrooms and dragonblood trees save their randomized parameters. Whenever you do that for a prefab, it should be saved and then restored, otherwise it's just weird to have the environment change appearance whenever you reload a save.

(in the dragonblood tree the stage saving is handled by the growable component, so it need not be done explicitly; the colour does, though)

And what did you intend to do with this (from dragonblood_tree.lua)?

local function fn(Sim, stage)    local inst = CreateEntity()    -- etc.
The fn doesn't receive any second parameters, so that's always nil (and thus the stage randomization wasn't working at all).

And by the way, why does each shroom have a different bank, but the same build, instead of the other way around?

(I also renamed the builds replacing the spaces by underscores, filenames with spaces are a pain to deal with in conjunction with most Unix utilities)

I'm fixing them right now. I'm also making the shrooms and dragonblood trees save their randomized parameters. Whenever you do that for a prefab, it should be saved and then restored, otherwise it's just weird to have the environment change appearance whenever you reload a save.

(in the dragonblood tree the stage saving is handled by the growable component, so it need not be done explicitly; the colour does, though)

And what did you intend to do with this (from dragonblood_tree.lua)?

local function fn(Sim, stage)    local inst = CreateEntity()    -- etc.
The fn doesn't receive any second parameters, so that's always nil (and thus the stage randomization wasn't working at all).

And by the way, why does each shroom have a different bank, but the same build, instead of the other way around?

(I also renamed the builds replacing the spaces by underscores, filenames with spaces are a pain to deal with in conjunction with most Unix utilities)

For dragonblood_tree.lua, it's (another) case of lazy copy paste on my part. :nightmare: I'm trying to break that (bad) habit; it's so tempting having an already functional constructor available that I can just tweak.

I was also going to (finally, I'm not sure why I didn't do this sooner) make them pickable. So I'll wait until you push, or you can do it, whichever you'd rather do.

As for the shrooms, I simply used the banks/builds that the scml used. I think it was either Malacath or Willette who packaged those animations; and I've been avoiding spaces for a while now. :p

Also, I can't seem to get your sample tech branch to work with Up and Away. Everything seems to go without a hitch up until the point that I go near the research lectern prototyper, and that's with code identical to yours. This is the error it gave:

scripts/components/builder.lua:162: attempt to index field 'accessible_tech_trees' (a nil value)Entity information:    entity: [100015 - wilson]    variable name: self.inst    valid: true    in limbo: false    asleep: false    time alive (seconds): 56.47    position: (-266.99, 0.00, -252.91)    distance to player: 0LUA ERROR stack traceback:        scripts/components/builder.lua(162,1) in function 'oldEval'        ../mods/UpAndAway/branchadder.lua(52,1) in function 'EvaluateTechTrees'        scripts/components/builder.lua(67,1) in function 'OnUpdate'        scripts/update.lua(104,1)        =(tail call) ?        =[C] in function 'xpcall'        ../mods/BetterCrashes/modmain.lua(165,1)LUA ERROR stack traceback:        =[C] in function 'error'        ../mods/BetterCrashes/modmain.lua(154,1)        =(tail call) ? I didn't set make their animations,scripts/frontend.lua(712,1) SCRIPT ERROR! Showing error screen  

Archived