General Development

debugman18

yeah, that's the issue, it'd be nice to have one that fits in with the character but there's not many that would...

Only shepherd that comes to mind is the one who cried wolf. Maybe pigs and bunnies don't trust her? And thus not recruitable?

I dunno, i'm rambling.

I added light crystals to worldgen. (They do nothing, at the moment.) I also finished the weather machine (aside from future tweaks), and water crystals will now drop flying fish on being mined. They will also spawn them very occasionally, if not mined completely.

Edited by debugman18
  • Like 2

Tea has been implemented (using the SuperMod tea cup inventory images and the fruit medley build as placeholders). The implementation is, of course, open for debate, since the tea idea is still being discussed.

The new prefabs added were "greentea", "blacktea", "sweet_greentea" and "sweet_blacktea". They work according to my post at Suggestions, including the temperature effect (the visual indicator for their temperature has not been implemented yet, though).

Also, I noticed inventory items are not affected by the insulation of their holder, so I added an inherent insulation to them (with a value of 60, but that's tweakable through tuning/items.lua).

I also made some changes to the asset declaration in modmain.lua to make things more manageable.

• Like 3

Tea has been implemented (using the SuperMod tea cup inventory images and the fruit medley build as placeholders). The implementation is, of course, open for debate, since the tea idea is still being discussed.

The new prefabs added were "greentea", "blacktea", "sweet_greentea" and "sweet_blacktea". They work according to my post at Suggestions, including the temperature effect (the visual indicator for their temperature has not been implemented yet, though).

Also, I noticed inventory items are not affected by the insulation of their holder, so I added an inherent insulation to them (with a value of 60, but that's tweakable through tuning/items.lua).

I also made some changes to the asset declaration in modmain.lua to make things more manageable.

How is it obtainable? 

Green Tea leafs get their own bushes whilst the black tea will be generated by drying green tea. The kettle is a craftable item so I understand it.

That's the plan, but for now the correct answer is "DebugSpawn". ;P

And the temperature meter has been implemented. A full meter means 100°C and an empty one means 0°C (actually, its range is min-max temp, according to the entity being measured, this is just the range teas use).

The UI "art" is veeeery placeholderish. In particular, the borders of the colored background don't look quite right. It's in anim/temperature_meter.

Edited by simplex

I meant how does the Kettle function, whoops. :-)

Oh sorry ^ ^

I would say the Kettle is not fully developed...how about it is a craftable item, then you carry it in your inentory, you can deploy it temporary and with the use of fuel (for the heat) and the two to three slots for ingredients you can make tea. it would also add to the inventory management part of the game. To carry arround kettle, fuel and ingredients for tea....or just set it up and only carry the tea but no option for quickly brewing up another cup

• Like 1

Oh sorry ^ ^

I would say the Kettle is not fully developed...how about it is a craftable item, then you carry it in your inentory, you can deploy it temporary and with the use of fuel (for the heat) and the two to three slots for ingredients you can make tea. it would also add to the inventory management part of the game. To carry arround kettle, fuel and ingredients for tea....or just set it up and only carry the tea but no option for quickly brewing up another cup

I'm working on it right now. The "core" stuff is done, meaning it brews tea ;P. But the mobility and interaction with static is still on my to-do list.

And by the way, I think the "brewing mechanic" I implemented takes care of alchemy as well.

Edited by simplex
  • Like 1

Changes pushed.

What was added (alongside what the addition of the tea itself and its mechanics, as I mentioned before):

• Tea leaves, both regular and black. Using the SuperMod assets, at least for now, and the fern build. Prefab names: "tea_leaves" and "blacktea_leaves".
  • Tea bushes. Using the berrybush build (for now). It was also added to worldgen to some extend (mostly for testing, where to put it wasn't very thoroughly thought through). Prefab name: "tea_bush".
  • Kettle, brewing the 4 variants of tea. Still without mobility and interaction with static, and using the crockpot build (for now). Prefab name: "kettle".
All is very placeholdery on the art level, and the details of their implementation as well. I focused on the underlying mechanics and on getting a basic working prototype to tie it all together (there's no method for oxidizing leaves into black leaves yet, though). Edited by simplex

Changes pushed.

What was added (alongside what the addition of the tea itself and its mechanics, as I mentioned before):

• Tea leaves, both regular and black. Using the SuperMod assets, at least for now, and the fern build. Prefab names: "tea_leaves" and "blacktea_leaves".
  • Tea bushes. Using the berrybush build (for now). It was also added to worldgen to some extend (mostly for testing, where to put it wasn't very thoroughly thought through). Prefab name: "tea_bush".
  • Kettle, brewing the 4 variants of tea. Still without mobility and interaction with static, and using the crockpot build (for now). Prefab name: "kettle".
All is very placeholdery on the art level, and the details of their implementation as well. I focused on the underlying mechanics and on getting a basic working prototype to tie it all together (there's no method for oxidizing leaves into black leaves yet, though).

So to implement alchemy in the cauldron, I can just use itemtest() and give alchemy-friendly items an "alchemy" tag, right? I could extend the refiner's functionality in a similar fashion, too, if we want to expand upon that, as well.

By the way, I'm learning a good bit going through and reading your code. :encouragement:

Edit: For some reason the main bg was broken again. That happens like every update. :p Now it uses the PS4 background as a bank in order to function.

I've completed Winnie's staff, and cleaned up her bigportrait. (It was mismatched with the background of character select.)

Edited by debugman18
  • Like 1

So to implement alchemy in the cauldron, I can just use itemtest() and give alchemy-friendly items an "alchemy" tag, right? I could extend the refiner's functionality in a similar fashion, too, if we want to expand upon that, as well.

By the way, I'm learning a good bit going through and reading your code. :encouragement:

Yes, you'd define an itemtest() function to define what items it can take, and set up a RecipeBook with the recipes. For the kettle case, I'm not entirely sure what to use as itemtest(). Currently, it accepts anything that's either a tea leaf or is edible but not meat. So you can stick a dragonpie in there ;P. You'll get Wet Goop, but still, it's a bit strange.

To have a fine control over what goes in, a way to do it would be to accept items solely based on a tag and then set up postinits adding that tag to the prefabs you want.

If you have any questions on how I organized things, feel free to ask. I'll post an overview on how I wrote the recipe system at Lambdas shortly.

@Malacath

@simplex and I were wondering if you'd be interested in collaborating with us on Up & Away. We think you'd be a great addition, so if you're interested...

I feel honoured, I really do, not just saying it!

But I'm not sure how big the amount of work I'd need to put in to understand your workflow would be. Especially to understand wicker, that things seems beyond me...

Also I'm working on another project, super secret you know ; )  And while I'm still abroad I need to concentrate on my studies a bit more than at home.

When I'm more flexible with my time I'd love to help you out ^^  I just don't know if you'd still have need for me then.

But I'm not sure how big the amount of work I'd need to put in to understand your workflow would be. Especially to understand wicker, that things seems beyond me...

Also I'm working on another project, super secret you know ; )  And while I'm still abroad I need to concentrate on my studies a bit more than at home.

When I'm more flexible with my time I'd love to help you out ^^  I just don't know if you'd still have need for me then.

Wicker's quite beyond me, as well. I'm slowly learning little bits of it over time. As for our workflow, it's pretty flexible. (Although perhaps that is something that does need improvement, at least on my end.)

I understand, though. Especially super secret projects and the like. Priorities, priorities. We'll be happy to have you at any point, so take care of what needs to be taken care of, and when you think you're ready to come aboard, just let us know.

• Like 3

On the matter of wicker, I designed it so you don't need to use in even in files under its framework, so even you were to just ignore its existence you could still write prefabs, components, etc. just like you're used to and they would work with the rest, so don't take that as an obstacle. But I'd be happy to clear any queries you might have about it, of course.

Well, feel free to lend a hand as and if you're able to. We could certainly use good coders, even if just eventually.

And, to the U&A team: kettles are now undeployable.

• Like 1

So they stay in your inventory for use?

I'm not sure I get what you mean. You place them on the ground so you can use it, and then pick them back up.

So the assets we need for it are an inventory image, a build/atlas for when it's on the ground (but not "mounted") and a build/atlas for when it's mounted.

Edited by simplex

I'm not sure I get what you mean. You place them on the ground so you can use it, and then pick them back up.

So the assets we need for it are an inventory image, a build/atlas for when it's on the ground (but not "mounted") and a build/atlas for when it's mounted.

I could try a few sketches later, but first I'd like to know, what materials you're imagining being used in the recipe?

Edited by ArcticFox789