General Development

debugman18

I could try a few sketches later, but first I'd like to know, what materials you're imagining being used in the recipe?

Actually... I'm thinking we could drop the blueprint/recipe idea altogether, and make it a (unique) gift from the shopkeeper (since it's portable and, at least the way it's coded now, indestructible).

Edited by simplex

Actually... I'm thinking we could drop the blueprint/recipe idea altogether, and make it a (unique) gift from the shopkeeper (since it's portable and, at least the way it's coded now, indestructible).

Alright. Sounds cool to me. Any particular way it should look? Just like a Kettle, or a slightly 'cloudy' feel, or what? Any specific things to incorporate, like Cloud Cotton, or Gold [etc]? I dunno where to begin really.

Also, does anyone know where the list of incomplete art assets was? I can't find it anywhere

And, to the U&A team: kettles are now undeployable.

This sounded for me like they are not deployable, but now I think it meant you can re-pick them up. Screw foreign languages...we should all speak esperanto and that's it...^^

Also, does anyone know where the list of incomplete art assets was? I can't find it anywhere

Haven't seen it...oO...would be of help though...

Edited by MilleniumCount

This sounded for me like they are not deployable, but now I think it meant you can re-pick them up. Screw foreign languages...we should all speak esperanto and that's it...^^

Haven't seen it...oO...would be of help though...

Undeployable normally would mean that. :p In this case, yes, it means it's movable.

There

Undeployable normally would mean that. :razz: In this case, yes, it means it's movable.

There, I replaced "undeploy" with "withdraw" everywhere, including component names, method names, event names, action names, strings...

EDIT:

@debugman18

Why did you remove the png versions of the bg assets? :/

Edited by simplex

There

There, I replaced "undeploy" with "withdraw" everywhere, including component names, method names, event names, action names, strings...

I'm sure it was extremely entertaining. :razz:

EDIT - debugman18, was it you that posted the list of things that need art assets? (It may have been a 'in need of strings' thing, not art, but all the same, it serves as a list of what we have in the mod). Because I can't seem to find it anywhere. I seem to be in a sketching mood. :grin:

Edited by ArcticFox789

@debugman18

Why did you remove the png versions of the bg assets? :/

Oh, I was testing a theory, I'll put them back. I noticed that by having a cloudwave png in the images/ folder, the game tried to convert it but did so incorrectly, so it would screw up the wave proportions. I didn't mean for them to remain out of that folder.

I'm sure it was extremely entertaining. :razz:

EDIT - debugman18, was it you that posted the list of things that need art assets? (It may have been a 'in need of strings' thing, not art, but all the same, it serves as a list of what we have in the mod). Because I can't seem to find it anywhere. I seem to be in a sketching mood. :grin:

Yes, it's here:

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/29034-open-discussion-the-prancing-pony/page-8#entry366249

Edit: I put those images into a rawimages/ folder to keep them from being converted and distorted.

Edited by debugman18
  • Like 1

Edit: I put those images into a rawimages/ folder to keep them from being converted and distorted.

Yes, to me that's the ideal solution. Just replicate the folder structure of images/ in it for raw assets.

And by the way, how are we going to distribute this mod? We can't host it in the forums, since the uploads are limited to 4MB and just our anims take 5.4MB (the anim/ folder has 42MB, but the anim ZIPs themselves account for 5.4MB).

EDIT: Did you install Lua on your Mac (the standalone Lua interpreter)?

Edited by simplex

Yes, to me that's the ideal solution. Just replicate the folder structure of images/ in it for raw assets.

And by the way, how are we going to distribute this mod? We can't host it in the forums, since the uploads are limited to 4MB and just our anims take 5.4MB (the anim/ folder has 42MB, but the anim ZIPs themselves account for 5.4MB).

That's a good question. Firstly, the file size, even without raw assets, is over 100MB.

We could use git's automated archiving for it, or we could use mediafire or something similar. I'm not sure about the Steam workshop and its limits.

Edit: I haven't, but I don't see why I wouldn't.

Edited by debugman18

That's a good question. Firstly, the file size, even without raw assets, is over 100MB.

We could use git's automated archiving for it, or we could use mediafire or something similar. I'm not sure about the Steam workshop and its limits.

Edit: I haven't, but I don't see why I wouldn't.

Using GitHub's archiving (this is called git tags) is an option, but it may be a hassle, because it just creates a snapshot of a branch. So to keep just release files in it, we'd need to create a release branch, put only the distribution files in it and keep updating them for each release.

I think we can convince JoeW to give us greater uploading space... If we got a badge for this mod, I believe Klei would like to host it at their website. :razz:

I asked about you having Lua because I'm thinking of writing a packager script shortly, and to make the process as streamlined as possible and minimize the possibility of errors I'm thinking of doing the following:

• Include everything in scripts/
  • Include art assets (anims ZIPs, images and atlases) according to their specification in the Assets table of the mod. For that purpose, it's best to write the packaging script in Lua itself and process the Assets table directly. If doing that, it'd be convenient to put the Assets table in its own file (say, assets.lua) to avoid errors when running Lua code referencing game-specific stuff.
  • Other scripts in the base mod directory (such as tuning.lua), as well as additional directories (such as tuning/) would be specified in Lua script (say, pkginfo.lua) which would be a part of the git repo, but wouldn't be included in the packaging itself.

Using GitHub's archiving (this is called git tags) is an option, but it may be a hassle, because it just creates a snapshot of a branch. So to keep just release files in it, we'd need to create a release branch, put only the distribution files in it and keep updating them for each release.

I think we can convince JoeW to give us greater uploading space... If we got a badge for this mod, I believe Klei would like to host it at their website. :razz:

I asked about you having Lua because I'm thinking of writing a packager script shortly, and to make the process as streamlined as possible and minimize the possibility of errors I'm thinking of doing the following:

• Include everything in scripts/
  • Include art assets (anims ZIPs, images and atlases) according to their specification in the Assets table of the mod. For that purpose, it's best to write the packaging script in Lua itself and process the Assets table directly. If doing that, it'd be convenient to put the Assets table in its own file (say, assets.lua) to avoid errors when running Lua code referencing game-specific stuff.
  • Other scripts in the base mod directory (such as tuning.lua), as well as additional directories (such as tuning/) would be specified in Lua script (say, pkginfo.lua) which would be a part of the git repo, but wouldn't be included in the packaging itself.

Ah, well I've downloaded it, so that's there in that case. As for hosting it here; it's possible they would. That'd definitely make things easier on us when distributing it.

Ah, well I've downloaded it, so that's there in that case. As for hosting it here; it's possible they would. That'd definitely make things easier on us when distributing it.

Well, I was looking at the Zip libraries for Lua and... there's nothing decent. There's nothing compatible with Lua 5.2, in fact...

Buuut there's a very good Zip library for Perl (bundled with Mac, according to Dana's test). So I'll split the packaging process into two scripts, on in Lua for gathering the file list to package and one in Perl to actually create the zip. Binding the two together should ideally be done with a Makefile, to guarantee it'll be done correctly (and to keep us from having to remember their correct usage every single time).

I was toying with the idea of bundling the two parts into a single bilingual script (run as a Lua script, where it'd take care of the Perl part itself), but I think I'm just overcomplicating things :razz:...

print(#--[===["Perl part running.\n");{	local $/ = "\0";	while(<>) {		s/\0$//;		print "Lua asked me to say: $_ \n";	}}__END__]===]--{} and "Lua part running.")local perl = io.popen(("perl %q"):format(arg[0]), "w")perl:write("Hello, there.", "\0")perl:write("I'm right below you.", "\0")perl:close()

This prints

Lua part running.Perl part running.Lua asked me to say: Hello, there. Lua asked me to say: I'm right below you.
Edited by simplex
  • Like 1

What are your opinions on which build to use as a base for the kettle?

I'm thinking the science machine is a good base, because it has animations which allow differentiating between "off" (the idle animation), "on" (the animation played on proximity, to be used for static activation, but while not brewing tea) and "active" (the animation played on prototyping, used for brewing tea).

What do our artists think?

What are your opinions on which build to use as a base for the kettle?

I'm thinking the science machine is a good base, because it has animations which allow differentiating between "off" (the idle animation), "on" (the animation played on proximity, to be used for static activation, but while not brewing tea) and "active" (the animation played on prototyping, used for brewing tea).

What do our artists think?

Well, if my scanner would work, I'd show you what I've been doing, although it wouldn't really fit the Science Machine... :/

No idea. o.o Either way, huzzah!

Wait... that's the limit for post attachments. The limit for the Downloads section is 10MB...

But I think that's an oversight. It makes no sense to have a higher limit for post attachments than for uploads to the forums' Downloads section, and especially not by such a big margin :razz:.