General Development

debugman18

I found few not-completely-made textures and names:

- all from craftable (ALL!!!) have not textures.

- gems in... heaven?... have not names.

- most of plants are pickable but not shows in inventory (and their names are not shown).

- one mob in... up world... have not textures.

I'll report later others, rest is working perfectly for me. :)

That's because this is a WIP. Not everything is completed, so a few missing assets and strings will be expected.

That's because this is a WIP. Not everything is completed, so a few missing assets and strings will be expected.

BTW that's why I'm posting it here. To complete uncomplete.

We know about the missing artstuffs.

Does the banner on the main menu work for you? Our other tester gets a crash if he clicks it.

Yeah, it does.

Edited by Minik435

BTW that's why I'm posting it here. To complete uncomplete.

Yeah, it does.

How very strange...

So it works for me and you, but not for @KidneyBeanBoy.

Oh.

That's.. strange. Could be because of one of the mods I had installed. @debugman13 ?

I don't think so. Try disabling your other mods. They shouldn't really impact that, though. All it does is fetch the json file from our repo, decode it into a table, and give the screen a particular value.

Edited by debugman18
  • Like 1

Bug found: all files from 17-19h ago (.lua) has an unexpected symbol near '<' ...

Try this packaged version. I'm not getting the error you mentioned.

Well, my console is broken. I have no idea why.

I'm not sure why, either. Could you share your entire log.txt file? I'd be interesting to know how compatible U&A is with other mods, and the only way to know potential errors is with a complete log.

It'll probably make things easier for everyone if you guys used http://pastebin.com/ to share your logs, as well. Just paste the contents of log.txt into there, hit submit and post the link here.

UpAndAway-prealpha.zip

Nevermind, I probably found the error-causing mod...

Do you know what to do with shopkeeper? He said sth about beefalo...

Yes, you should bring him some Beefalo (use a Beefalo horn to lead them to him). He will then give you the instruction on how to proceed. Let me know if they are clear enough.

@debugman18

I implemented the shopkeeper spawning on the road.

When it starts to rain, an invisible entity of the prefab "shopkeeper_spawner" will be randomly spawned on the road. When the player gets close enough to it (2 tiles) it will spawn the shopkeeper in its place and remove itself.

When rain stops, shopkeeper_spawner removes itself in 30 seconds. When rain stops and the shopkeeper is offscreen* (or when it goes offscreen after rain has stopped) the shopkeeper will also despawn, unless it has already given the quest to the player (the initial, Beefalo one).

The shopkeeper_spawner entity will not be spawned if there already exists a shopkeeper or another shopkeeper_spawner in the world, so this will have no effect in older worlds with the shopkeeper room.

* by going offscreen I mean when the entity sleeps.

Edited by simplex
  • Like 2

@debugman18 and @MilleniumCount (wouldn't it be easier if you followed this thread? :razz:)

I implemented the Balloon Hound and its spawning like regular hounds (periodic, warnings barks, etc.). I also removed it from the worldgen, making it spawn only this way. Ice and fire balloon hounds also appear in the same frequency as they would on the surface (though since the cloudrealm is winter only I don't suppose balloon fire hounds will be making a visit :razz:).

They spawn, float down, and after some time float away. If attacked, the balloon pops and they attack you like regular hounds. I haven't implemented the AI for when they're attached to the balloon (which would be just having them attack if their enemy is in range, doing nothing otherwise).

The way they spawn depends on whether the player is still or moving. If the player is still, they spawn randomly in all directions. If the player is moving, they only spawn in a 60 degree angle in the direction the player is facing (i.e., the direction the player is moving cuts the spawn region in two angles of 30 degrees), and the spawn range is larger. But I'm still not entirely happy with it, since they still tend to lag behind the player due to their low speed falling down. All the relevant parameters are tweakable in tuning/creatures.lua.

• Like 3

@debugman18 and @MilleniumCount (wouldn't it be easier if you followed this thread? :razz:)

I implemented the Balloon Hound and its spawning like regular hounds (periodic, warnings barks, etc.). I also removed it from the worldgen, making it spawn only this way. Ice and fire balloon hounds also appear in the same frequency as they would on the surface (though since the cloudrealm is winter only I don't suppose balloon fire hounds will be making a visit :razz:).

They spawn, float down, and after some time float away. If attacked, the balloon pops and they attack you like regular hounds. I haven't implemented the AI for when they're attached to the balloon (which would be just having them attack if their enemy is in range, doing nothing otherwise).

The way they spawn depends on whether the player is still or moving. If the player is still, they spawn randomly in all directions. If the player is moving, they only spawn in a 60 degree angle in the direction the player is facing (i.e., the direction the player is moving cuts the spawn region in two angles of 30 degrees), and the spawn range is larger. But I'm still not entirely happy with it, since they still tend to lag behind the player due to their low speed falling down. All the relevant parameters are tweakable in tuning/creatures.lua.

That's awesome! Also, YAWBF is nice thing when browsing through commits. Do you want me to implement their tiny brain, then? It'd be pretty easy, and I've got to mess with brains anyways for the beanlet zealots.

(*sigh* it's hard to keep track of stuff without @ArcticFox789 around)

Haha, I didn't think I was needed what with the month-long silence, but if cogs are beginning to turn, I guess I can reprise my role as scribe. :razz:

Also, even after tinkering with my notifications, following doesn't seem to work for me. Is there a known issue with this?

Edited by ArcticFox789
  • Like 1

Do you want me to implement their tiny brain, then? It'd be pretty easy, and I've got to mess with brains anyways for the beanlet zealots.

I might as well implement them myself. I gained a ton of experience with brains when writing the skyfly one. You may have noticed I had to implement 3 custom behaviour nodes to get it working like I intended it to :razz:.

I might as well implement them myself. I gained a ton of experience with brains when writing the skyfly one. You may have noticed I had to implement 3 custom behaviour nodes to get it working like I intended it to :razz:.

Alright. On a side note, I'm currently trying to get the white staff working, and I've come across an annoying roadblock.

I'm doing this to make sure the object has an inventory icon, by using it's minimap icon, since they're the same size.

target:AddComponent("inventoryitem")target.components.inventoryitem.atlasname = "minimap/minimap_data.xml"target.components.inventoryitem.imagename = target.prefab ..".png"

Unfortunately, it isn't working because the inventoryitem component is appending .tex to it:

function InventoryItem:GetImage()    if self.imagename then                return self.imagename..".tex"    else               return self.inst.prefab..".tex"    endend

Even then, I'm not sure it would work because then it would try to read a png.

If there's a way to automagically convert the minimap atlas into seperate .tex icons, I would do that, but short of manually cutting each image I don't know how.

Edited by debugman18

Alright. On a side note, I'm currently trying to get the white staff working, and I've come across an annoying roadblock.

I'm doing this to make sure the object has an inventory icon, by using it's minimap icon, since they're the same size.

target:AddComponent("inventoryitem")target.components.inventoryitem.atlasname = "minimap/minimap_data.xml"target.components.inventoryitem.imagename = target.prefab ..".png"
Unfortunately, it isn't working because the inventoryitem component is appending .tex to it:

function InventoryItem:GetImage()    if self.imagename then                return self.imagename..".tex"    else               return self.inst.prefab..".tex"    endend
Even then, I'm not sure it would work because then it would try to read a png.

If there's a way to automagically convert the minimap atlas into seperate .tex icons, I would do that, but short of manually cutting each image I don't know how.

The png thing is not an issue. That's just the element name inside the tex, it could be named anything, with any extension. And we could just patch GetImage.

But I'm not sure about this approach. What if the structure doesn't have a minimap icon? And what if the item already has an inventoryitem component doing something else?

I think it would be best to use a custom prefab to hold the "packaged" structure and then redeploy it. I think something looking like a box (not unlike our placeholder build) would do it. Then the name of this prefab would change to "Packaged (ORIGINAL PREFAB NAME)", or something along these lines.

Edited by simplex

The png thing is not an issue. That's just the element name inside the tex, it could be named anything, with any extension. And we could just patch GetImage.

But I'm not sure about this approach. What if the structure doesn't have a minimap icon? And what if the item already has an inventoryitem component doing something else?

I think it would be best to use a custom prefab to hold the "packaged" structure and then redeploy it. I think something looking like a box (not unlike our placeholder build) would do it. Then the name of this prefab would change to "Packaged (ORIGINAL PREFAB NAME)", or something along these lines.

Valid points. I thought about using a 'package' prefab like that, but I thought I would try this first. I'll try the package method you described then, and see how it works out.

Edited by debugman18

Valid points. I thought about using a 'package' prefab like that, but I thought I would try this first. I'll try the package method you described then, and see how it works out.

Here's a tip: store in the package prefab both the name of the packaged prefab and the data and entity reference tables resulting from calling inst:GetPersistData() on it. When deploying it, call inst:SetPersistData() passing these two tables to restore state.

Here's a tip: store in the package prefab both the name of the packaged prefab and the data and entity reference tables resulting from calling inst:GetPersistData() on it. When deploying it, call inst:SetPersistData() passing these two tables to restore state.

Pushed. However, there are some quirks that I haven't figured out. Firstly, I'm struggling to name it appropriately. It seems like it works as intended, except if I try to print the prefab name through the constructor, it gives me nothing. I'm sure it's something small, but it's 12 here and I'm tired. Secondly, wormholes seem to break if they are moved. I'm not sure what's up with that, because persistdata is working.