General Development

debugman18

@debugman18

By the look of it, you're calling MakePlayerCharacter incorrectly (more precisely, the parameter for Winnie's asset list is a function, not a table; most likely, you're passing the "fn" in that position).

The syntax is:

MakePlayerCharacter(name, customprefabs, customassets, customfn, starting_inventory)

That did the trick.

For some reason, Winnie is a bunch of black squares... I'll look into it. I may have converted something wrongly somewhere.

Edit: Got it, I had converted it with the old textureconverter, which apparently had a few issues.

Edited by debugman18
  • Like 1

You can't reply to threads that have not been posted in for over 30 days to avoid necro posting.

Is there a way to disable that for the U&A subforums? There a few threads we can't use anymore. And it seems we can no longer split posts from threads, otherwise I would've fixed it myself by sending a new post into those.

@simplex

@Craig_Perry

Added a nice menu button that seems quite clean to me. Let me know your thoughts. There is a bit in there that will let the user know non-annoyingly whether or not Up and Away is out of date in the future. (The fetching of version info from the web has not been implemented yet.)

Winnie is implemented now, but she's not ready for playing yet.

The Shopkeeper has been added to the regular world generation. His setpiece needs a little more work, but he appears now.

• Like 1

Looks like its back to work. I completely forgot. But what was her perks.

I have to go read through old posts to figure that out. I had some thoughts on that, but I need to know what everyone else thinks.

I had in mind that Winnie could have some farming perks, but she would be mostly vegetarian. (Like Kevin pointed out, once upon a time.) For instance, she could have 'Green Thumb' perk, which would make it so that certain crops wouldn't need poop to regrow, or would last longer before needing it. This would balance out the vegetarianism, since she would have to rely on crops a lot more.

As for her personal item, I was thinking of giving her shears, which would be similar to the razor, but would be unbreakable. Using them would increase her sanity by a tiny amount.

Killing passive animals would drop her sanity by a fairly significant amount.

Thoughts?

Edited by debugman18

Thoughts?

If she's a vegetarian, it may be interesting that she just can't eat meat, like the Seras mod where non meats couldn't be eaten period. She can eat meat but it's like eating spoiled food as Wickerbottom. Usable for survival but you don't want to have to use it.

Shears are kinda pointless as razors are already unbreakable. A shepherd's staff perhaps.

If she's a vegetarian, it may be interesting that she just can't eat meat, like the Seras mod where non meats couldn't be eaten period. She can eat meat but it's like eating spoiled food as Wickerbottom. Usable for survival but you don't want to have to use it.

Shears are kinda pointless as razors are already unbreakable. A shepherd's staff perhaps.

That was the intention, that she wouldn't be stopped from eating meat, it would just be advised against. (Negative sanity impact, perhaps.)

I hadn't realized that about the razor, that's a valid point. I was thinking about some sort of shephard's staff too, but I can't think of too much practical use for one, depending on the effects. Would it work like a beefalo horn, or would it work for other animals? Should it have unlimited uses? How many followers would it give you? Etcetera, etcetera. I don't want to break the vanilla game, so I have to pay particular attention to game balance. (Which is something I like to pay attention to anyways, but it gets a little more iffy when it's a character, since there's so many more complexities arrising from the numerous character interactions with the world than with an item that only does specific things.)

@debugman18

Love the way you set up the U&A button, except for its position. I don't quite like it above the Play button.

I have two suggestions for its placement (just ignore that I mistakenly took the screenshot within the Options submenu and by the time I realized I got too lazy to redo the whole thing):

First suggestion: Below the mod "badge".

bGh91uz.png

This version makes the mod name on the "banner" a bit redundant, so I think we should rename one of them.

Second suggestion: On top of the mod name.

DJ4eGvT.png

About Winnie, I think a more useful "green thumb" perk would be allowing her to grow crops on winter, since otherwise she'd have a really hard time surviving, not to mention farms growing barren almost never happens, so it wouldn't be very relevant anyway. I agree with the sanity penalty for eating meat, instead of just disallowing it.

For the staff, I think she should be able to befriend up to 2 "herdable" animals (actually herdable, penguins don't count). To me that's beefalo and sheep.

EDIT: And oh, eventually we should replace that Wilson on the main screen by Winnie. ;]

EDIT 2: A negative perk could be her losing sanity when prototyping items. You know, bucolic lifestyle and all.

Edited by simplex
  • Like 2

;EDIT 2: A negative perk could be her losing sanity when prototyping items. You know, bucolic lifestyle and all.

I read that as snarky. No idea why. I agree though. Could be interesting. Maybe the shepherd's staff makes classic "farm" animals follow her. Beefalo (cows), pigs, gobblers (turkeys), Electric Sheep.

@debugman18

Love the way you set up the U&A button, except for its position. I don't quite like it above the Play button.

I have two suggestions for its placement (just ignore that I mistakenly took the screenshot within the Options submenu and by the time I realized I got too lazy to redo the whole thing):

First suggestion: Below the mod "badge".

bGh91uz.png

This version makes the mod name on the "banner" a bit redundant, so I think we should rename one of them.

Second suggestion: On top of the mod name.

DJ4eGvT.png

About Winnie, I think a more useful "green thumb" perk would be allowing her to grow crops on winter, since otherwise she'd have a really hard time surviving, not to mention farms growing barren almost never happens, so it wouldn't be very relevant anyway. I agree with the sanity penalty for eating meat, instead of just disallowing it.

For the staff, I think she should be able to befriend up to 2 "herdable" animals (actually herdable, penguins don't count). To me that's beefalo and sheep.

EDIT: And oh, eventually we should replace that Wilson on the main screen by Winnie. ;]

EDIT 2: A negative perk could be her losing sanity when prototyping items. You know, bucolic lifestyle and all.

About growing plants in winter; It could be worked to be balanced. It does sound like it is very fitting to the mod.  And yeah, beefalo and sheep would be fair. What about her spawning with a sheep? Which also brings up the question, should there be baby sheep, that perhaps don't transform during static? Or maybe they would...

As for the menu button, I think that the latter of the two looks better.

About growing plants in winter; It could be worked to be balanced. It does sound like it is very fitting to the mod.  And yeah, beefalo and sheep would be fair. What about her spawning with a sheep? Which also brings up the question, should there be baby sheep, that perhaps don't transform during static? Or maybe they would...

Since almost all good crockpot recipes take meat, I think it's fair. Though it may encourage a "dragonpie FTW" strategy...

And... I don't know what to think about baby sheep. I think it could work, but I also don't see it as essential.

Since almost all good crockpot recipes take meat, I think it's fair. Though it may encourage a "dragonpie FTW" strategy...

And... I don't know what to think about baby sheep. I think it could work, but I also don't see it as essential.

t was asked because it could help add a little diversity to the sheep. But no, it's not essential to any part of the mod.

Oh, and reducing sanity on prototyping would be interesting. It should be reasonably substantial though, since prototyping only occurs so many times, and low sanity can be remedied fairly easily.

Oh, and reducing sanity on prototyping would be interesting. It should be reasonably substantial though, since prototyping only occurs so many times, and low sanity can be remedied fairly easily.

I don't know, I think just negating the +15 gain would already make the early game quite challenging. But it can't be her only negative perk, that's for sure, since as you said in the long run its effect vanishes.

• Like 1

I spilled Sprite on my laptop today. It is drying right now, and hopefully it will function the next time I turn it on.

NOOOOO.gif

I'm going to work on Winnie tomorrow. For tonight though, I retreat.

Aum... Happy thoughts...

Sorry, for liking your post, but what you said coupled with that gif... I'm not even going to spoiler tag it.

It's going to be ok, I think, I hope, I'd like to think...

Edited by simplex

Sorry, for liking your post, but what you said coupled with that gif... I'm not even going to spoiler tag it.

It's going to be ok, I think, I hope, I'd like to think...

I'm writing this on my laptop right now. I opened it up, and checked it out. I couldn't find any corrosion or liquid on the inside, so I turned it on, and lo and behold it functions. For now. Hopefully no surprises will pop up in the future.

Dodged a bullet there. If the logic board had fried, however, I would've just bought a laptop board and turned this thing into a regular laptop.

I'm writing this on my laptop right now. I opened it up, and checked it out. I couldn't find any corrosion or liquid on the inside, so I turned it on, and lo and behold it functions. For now. Hopefully no surprises will pop up in the future.

Dodged a bullet there. If the logic board had fried, however, I would've just bought a laptop board and turned this thing into a regular laptop.

I'm glad to hear it! :grin:

Especially since a Mac tester/contributor for the following would be very much appreciated:

My thought was to start a github projected which is a fork of our own internal tools so that people could fork it and submit patches to be integrated all the way up to the main branch as opposed to sharing code on the forum. It would let me autopush changes from my side and be able to easily manage change proposals from the outside.

Alright, so magic beans will now only interact with gravemounds, instead of everywhere. There is still no moon phase growing system yet, but that shouldn't be too hard to implement tomorrow.

Winnie now has the semi-vegetarian trait properly. She'll recieve more work tomorrow as well, hopefully.

I'm not sure how to make the mantas move across the map, yet. Is there a known method of moving entities in that manner? That also pertains to the cheshire cat; I'm not sure how to move entities around on the screen. (I'm sure it's not difficult, I'm just not aware of the methods for doing such.)

More importantly, though, do you feel we're nearly ready to call this alpha? (After these and other things are fleshed out a little more, of course.)

Edit:  The cloud realm can now be reached without having to use console at all, which is a good step towards alpha, I think.

Edited by debugman18

I'm not sure how to make the mantas move across the map, yet. Is there a known method of moving entities in that manner? That also pertains to the cheshire cat; I'm not sure how to move entities around on the screen. (I'm sure it's not difficult, I'm just not aware of the methods for doing such.)

I think

inst.components.locomotor:GoToPoint(pt)
is what you're looking for, at least for on-screen motion. Depending on how that will be done, we may also use other methods in the LocoMotor component which just make an entity run in a direction, instead of going to a specific point. Off-screen motion can't be done like that because the entity sleeps. So simulating it and calling

inst.Transform:SetPosition(x, y, z)
is required.

More importantly, though, do you feel we're nearly ready to call this alpha? (After these and other things are fleshed out a little more, of course.)

Edit:  The cloud realm can now be reached without having to use console at all, which is a good step towards alpha, I think.

Don't we need the other biomes to be able to call it that? I think @lifemare's roadmap is a good indication of what alpha would mean.

Edited by simplex

I think

inst.components.locomotor:GoToPoint(pt)
is what you're looking for, at least for on-screen motion. Depending on how that will be done, we may also use other methods in the LocoMotor component which just make an entity run in a direction, instead of going to a specific point. Off-screen motion can't be done like that because the entity sleeps. So simulating it and calling

inst.Transform:SetPosition(x, y, z)
is required.

Don't we need the other biomes to be able to call it that? I think @lifemare's roadmap is a good indication of what alpha would mean.

I said nearly ready. :p It wouldn't be until... I'd venture a guess and say by the end of November? It seems reasonable for the amount of things that need to be more properly implemented by then.

We do have the other biomes. Their content is missing art/sound assets (like the turf, for example), and some need to be expanded upon code-wise (thunder trees spawning thunder, for example), but other than that, they're there. The octocopter hasn't been done yet, but I don't think it's really necessary until we begin implementation of the second level. Same goes for alchemy, the cauldron's more extensive uses. Most of that roadmap exists in the mod in some form or another. (And the things that are on the to-do list stand out as such.)

• Like 2

I said nearly ready. :razz: It wouldn't be until... I'd venture a guess and say by the end of November? It seems reasonable for the amount of things that need to be more properly implemented by then.

We do have the other biomes. Their content is missing art/sound assets (like the turf, for example), and some need to be expanded upon code-wise (thunder trees spawning thunder, for example), but other than that, they're there. The octocopter hasn't been done yet, but I don't think it's really necessary until we begin implementation of the second level. Same goes for alchemy, the cauldron's more extensive uses. Most of that roadmap exists in the mod in some form or another. (And the things that are on the to-do list stand out as such.)

things are getting closer and closer it seems, the end november does sound like a good release date as it gives us a bit of time to collect art assets, finalise at least a few items and their functions etc

Edited by Craig_Perry

So for Winnie, here's what i have in mind :

Pros:

No need for fertilizers (unless speeding growth) and vegetable growth all year (really useful in the clouds)
Winnie's Crook : Pacifies and makes followers out of herd mobs (beefalo, rock lobsters, sheep/ram and possibly pengulls?). Will have to "rally" the mobs by rightclicking the staff and they will stop attacking and follow you until the nest time they go to sleep) It's unbreakable and gives a 15% speed boost. Mobs do attack at your command, otherwise it would be useless.

Cons:
Either not eating meat or eating it causes a massive sanity drop (25 raw, 35 cooked, 50 dried, 75 meat based meals)
Is fragile (100-75 health) OR killing mobs causes sanity drop. 15 for neutral creatures and 5 for hostile ones) OR double the naughtiness from killings.

So for Winnie, here's what i have in mind :

Pros:

No need for fertilizers (unless speeding growth) and vegetable growth all year (really useful in the clouds)

Winnie's Crook : Pacifies and makes followers out of herd mobs (beefalo, rock lobsters, sheep/ram and possibly pengulls?). Will have to "rally" the mobs by rightclicking the staff and they will stop attacking and follow you until the nest time they go to sleep) It's unbreakable and gives a 15% speed boost. Mobs do attack at your command, otherwise it would be useless.

Cons:

Either not eating meat or eating it causes a massive sanity drop (25 raw, 35 cooked, 50 dried, 75 meat based meals)

Is fragile (100-75 health) OR killing mobs causes sanity drop. 15 for neutral creatures and 5 for hostile ones) OR double the naughtiness from killings.

doubling naughtiness should be done for all vanilla characters anyway =P

I like the fertilisation(that spelling is right auto-correct, leave me be) perk, it would be very efficient for both the clouds and the ground

Fragility I'm not too keen on as its used twice in the vanilla game anyway but if we can't think of another con it'll do

hating meat could prove to be insanely interesting  as it would stop around 75% of playstyles working very well

doubling naughtiness should be done for all vanilla characters anyway =P

I like the fertilisation(that spelling is right auto-correct, leave me be) perk, it would be very efficient for both the clouds and the ground

Fragility I'm not too keen on as its used twice in the vanilla game anyway but if we can't think of another con it'll do

hating meat could prove to be insanely interesting  as it would stop around 75% of playstyles working very well

I can't think of any other cons that would harm the player enough :/