General Development

debugman18

Okay, I think it's made cuz in my .../scripts/prefabs aren't any files... There is only .gitignore file...

Nope, that's normal, because of the way the mod is written. Check /code/prefabs. Can you post your log.txt, please? Also, this may be a silly question, but are you enabling the mod?

Edited by debugman18

I have enabled mod.

Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s04nlziy8hip3ah/log.txt

I had to enable it by ForceEnable to got this error.

It looks like the game is running without write permission to its own subdirectories (or, in this case, to mods/UpAndAway-master/scripts/prefabs/), which is odd, but could be solved by setting the proper permissions (it looks like you're either in Linux or Mac, right?). You could run a properly packaged "release", where no file writing takes place, but since the mod is still changing rapidly we aren't planning on those yet. You could wait for our first official release.

Oh, well I feel bad now. I think the reason was the API was set to 5, but the non-DLC version uses 4. -.-

If you can edit the modinfo, change '5' to '4' and it should work with no problems.

I'll fix this in the next commit.

I thought both used 5 by now. Why the hell would Klei use different mod api versions? This is just an artificial obstacle to keep mods from being compatible with both versions of the game with and without the DLC (unless we settle for the mod being shown as "outdated" for many users). I'll submit this as a bug report (even though it's not a bug, just short-sightedness).

@debugman18 here.

Edited by simplex
  • Like 1

I fixed the invisible textures/animations, except the beanlet burning/freezing. (However, the cloud algae and the octocopter need to be reconverted from scml, because for some reason my tools won't convert them right, they keep getting stretched.) Added a bunch of minimap icons. Got the octocopter working, all that's left to do is the sequence with the parts. (I plan on making it crash after you kill it, and you repair it with the three octocopter pieces to use it to get to the eventual next level. Thoughts on that? We'll need crashed octocopter art, I guess.)

There's still a decent amount of work left, but we're making good progress, I think.

• Like 2

the cloud algae and the octocopter need to be reconverted from scml, because for some reason my tools won't convert them right, they keep getting stretched.

This looks like it might be a bug in ktech, more precisely in the code I put it to allow specifying the width or height of the output (required for mod tools compatibility, specifically animation compiling). I'll take a look at it.

Got the octocopter working, all that's left to do is the sequence with the parts. (I plan on making it crash after you kill it, and you repair it with the three octocopter pieces to use it to get to the eventual next level. Thoughts on that? We'll need crashed octocopter art, I guess.)

There's still a decent amount of work left, but we're making good progress, I think.

I like this idea, but doing the art for the crashed octocopter seems like a fair amount of artwork. Maybe we could use a simpler visual effect (like a few explosions and the pieces being hurled away), at least for the time being?

This looks like it might be a bug in ktech, more precisely in the code I put it to allow specifying the width or height of the output (required for mod tools compatibility, specifically animation compiling). I'll take a look at it.

I like this idea, but doing the art for the crashed octocopter seems like a fair amount of artwork. Maybe we could use a simpler visual effect (like a few explosions and the pieces being hurled away), at least for the time being?

Hmm, that would work, I think. I'd like for the octocopter itself to become an object that you would take the pieces to, so if that can work with blowing pieces off... (I'm not even sure how we'd do that? Custom animation or something?)

Hmm, that would work, I think. I'd like for the octocopter itself to become an object that you would take the pieces to, so if that can work with blowing pieces off... (I'm not even sure how we'd do that? Custom animation or something?)

Hmm, you have a point. Having the octocopter be a repairable object would require a crashed octocopter art asset. I think there's no way around it.

Hmm, you have a point. Having the octocopter be a repairable object would require a crashed octocopter art asset. I think there's no way around it.

Alright, well, we'll figure something out for it.

Is there anything you feel needs to be added to to TODO? I may be forgetting some things, but I'm not sure what, if any. 

I found the cause of the beanlet invisibility bug. It doesn't have a "hit" animation. (and why are we calling inst.AnimState:SetAddColour() on it all the time?)

Is there anything you feel needs to be added to to TODO? I may be forgetting some things, but I'm not sure what, if any.

None that I can think of. Though I would remove the tiny hitboxes in custom animations as a bug. It is a bug, but in the mod tools, which affects all custom anims (more precisely, Cheerio said he would take care of this after the tools had been ported, but since he left before the porting...).

Edited by simplex

I found the cause of the beanlet invisibility bug. It doesn't have a "hit" animation. (and why are we calling inst.AnimState:SetAddColour() on it all the time?)

None that I can think of. Though I would remove the tiny hitboxes in custom animations as a bug. It is a bug, but in the mod tools, which affects all custom anims (more precisely, Cheerio said he would take care of this after the tools had been ported, but since he left before the porting...).

I have no clue. There may be a reason for it, but I don't know why. That happens admittedly more often than I'd like, but my house is full of distractions. Sometimes I'm working on something, and when I return to it I do something strange like that.

Hmm, so there's no way to fix that for now? I noticed that the gustflower and the dragonblood trees have pretty decent hitboxes, which strikes me as odd, since they're custom animations.

Hmm, so there's no way to fix that for now? I noticed that the gustflower and the dragonblood trees have pretty decent hitboxes, which strikes me as odd, since they're custom animations.

The game calculates the hitboxes from the animation file somehow. My guess is since the gustflower and the dragonblood trees are almost static, the calculation was done correctly. If I knew how the game computed the hitbox I could patch the mod tools myself, but since I don't I suppose there's not much to be done about it, since Klei seems to have abandoned the mod tools.

@debugman18

What's the idea for the water crystal again?

When mined, it should give crystals and become a flying fish pond, right? But how should the fish spawn from them? I didn't get the "should launch Flying Fish into nearby water crystals" in the TODO. Are they supposed to enter the crystals somehow? Or did you mean they should fly into other nearby ponds? And I'm assuming the "net is needed" part is to capture the fish, right? If so, I'm assuming their flight speed should be low.

And while we're at it, how do we want the balloon hound to behave? Will it just appear (if so, from where, and when) and fly up into nothingness as a visual gag?

(*sigh* it's hard to keep track of stuff without @ArcticFox789 around)

Edited by simplex
  • Like 1

What's the idea for the water crystal again?

When mined, it should give crystals and become a flying fish pond, right? But how should the fish spawn from them? I didn't get the "should launch Flying Fish into nearby water crystals" in the TODO. Are they supposed to enter the crystals somehow? Or did you mean they should fly into other nearby ponds? And I'm assuming the "net is needed" part is to capture the fish, right? If so, I'm assuming their flight speed should be low.

Sorry, I should've elaborated more.

Basically, my idea for them was after being mined nearly completely, the flying fish would spawn from the crystal. They would look for a nearby open crystal, and if there was none, they would land and die. They would be caught mid-air with the net, yes. I think this would be better than a regular pond that simply spawned fish constantly at no cost. The catch would be that you could have either a lot of crystals and no fish, or some crystals and some fish. The drops would have to be balanced accordingly, and the idea could probably use further tuning.

Of course, if you or the others are opposed, we could definitely do the flying fish a different way.

• Like 1

Sorry, I should've elaborated more.

Basically, my idea for them was after being mined nearly completely, the flying fish would spawn from the crystal. They would look for a nearby open crystal, and if there was none, they would land and die. They would be caught mid-air with the net, yes. I think this would be better than a regular pond that simply spawned fish constantly at no cost. The catch would be that you could have either a lot of crystals and no fish, or some crystals and some fish. The drops would have to be balanced accordingly, and the idea could probably use further tuning.

So when it dies due to the absence of nearby open crystals, should it just disappear?

And oh, I noticed the owl people were left out of the TODO list.

(also, check my edit)

And oh, what's the animation to be used for flying, in the flying fish?

Edited by simplex

So when it dies due to the absence of nearby open crystals, should it just disappear?

And oh, I noticed the owl people were left out of the TODO list.

(also, check my edit)

And oh, what's the animation to be used for flying, in the flying fish?

Right, they'd disappear.

I've been working on the owl people, and I still am. I took them off of the list since they function pretty well right now and they're my current focus . I'm not sure what else their plans involve, though (there is so much to sort through, you're right about Arctic being absent. )

As for the hounds, I think they're just supposed to float up (I'm not sure from where, perhaps just wherever they spawn; we could look for the player and then run the stategraph once the player is near, etc) and struggle in air (maybe biting the player if they come too close?) until the balloon pops, and then they fall. It probably wouldn't be too hard to give the impression that they're falling back through the clouds. I'd spawn some effect in timing with the animation, and make them disappear when they would be 'landing' in the animation.

There isn't an animation right now, I need to make one. Unless one of the existing fish animations would work.

Edited by debugman18

As for the hounds, I think they're just supposed to float up (I'm not sure from where, perhaps just wherever they spawn; we could look for the player and then run the stategraph once the player is near, etc) and struggle in air (maybe biting the player if they come too close?) until the balloon pops, and then they fall. It probably wouldn't be too hard to give the impression that they're falling back through the clouds. I'd spawn some effect in timing with the animation, and make them disappear when they would be 'landing' in the animation.

There isn't an animation right now, I need to make one. Unless one of the existing fish animations would work.

Do we need an animation? I think we could just attach a balloon to a regular hound (by having the balloon follow an animation symbol in the hound, the same way a fire is attached to torches and Willow's lighter).

Calculating when the hound will hit the ground is a trickier business, since how physics parameters like dampening are used (as well as their default values) are unexposed engine level stuff. In fact, I need to figure some of this out to fix the current whirlwind bug, caused by physics parameters being reset improperly (this should also go in the TODO's bug list).

Though an alternative to calculating when the hound will reach the ground (which would be imprecise anyway, since the hound may fall on an obstacle and bounce) is running a periodic test to see if it's close enough to the ground, and if so show the visual effect and remove the hound.

And I'm thinking we could use the regular barking sequence to spawn the hounds, except they'll be harmless (unless the player gets too close).

Edited by simplex

@debugman18

I propose the following twists to the balloon hound (each point is debatable, of course):

• Instead of having the balloon pop and the hound fall to the ground, after a timeout we make the hound float away upwards.
  • When the player attacks a balloon hound, the balloon pops, the hound falls to the cloud realm ground and chases/attacks the player as a regular hound would.
  • The balloon hounds appear by floating down from the sky, not up. This is the least important point, and in fact is a duller alternative, but much easier to get looking right.
Edited by simplex
  • Like 1

@Minik435

In case you can't get the usual mod files to work, here's a packaged "release" version of the mod. Note however that it is still in prealpha, so it certainly needs better balancing and more content; and it will probably have been updates already when you get this file :razz:.

Error... BTW thx for this one.

scripts/mods.lua(144,1) Loading mod: UpAndAway_test (Up and Away)
scripts/mods.lua(168,1) Mod: UpAndAway_test (Up and Away) Loading modworldgenmain.lua
scripts/mods.lua(103,1) modimport: ../mods/UpAndAway_test/lib/use.lua
scripts/mods.lua(182,1) Mod: UpAndAway_test (Up and Away)  Error loading mod!
...arve/data/../mods/UpAndAway_test/modworldgenmain.lua:20: mod module 'start_wicker' not found:
no field package.preload['start_wicker']
no file '../mods/UpAndAway_test/start_wicker.lua'
LUA ERROR stack traceback:
        =[C] in function 'error'
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/../mods/UpAndAway_test/lib/use.lua(121,1) in function 'use'
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/../mods/UpAndAway_test/modworldgenmain.lua(20,1) in function 'f'
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/../mods/UpAndAway_test/modworldgenmain.lua(14,1) in function 'run_handler'
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/../mods/UpAndAway_test/modworldgenmain.lua(19,1) in main chunk
        =[C] in function 'xpcall'
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/scripts/util.lua(433,1) in function 'RunInEnvironment'
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/scripts/mods.lua(179,1) in function 'InitializeModMain'
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/scripts/mods.lua(158,1) in function 'LoadMods'
        scripts/main.lua(222,1) in function 'ModSafeStartup'
        scripts/main.lua(271,1)
        =[C] in function 'SetPersistentString'
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/scripts/mainfunctions.lua(17,1) in function 'SavePersistentString'
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/scripts/modindex.lua(58,1)
        =[C] in function 'GetPersistentString'
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/scripts/modindex.lua(45,1) in function 'BeginStartupSequence'
        scripts/main.lua(270,1) in function 'callback'
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/scripts/modindex.lua(268,1)
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/scripts/modindex.lua(248,1) in function 'Load'
        scripts/main.lua(269,1) in main chunk

scripts/mods.lua(168,1) Mod: UpAndAway_test (Up and Away) Loading modmain.lua
scripts/mods.lua(103,1) modimport: ../mods/UpAndAway_test/lib/use.lua
scripts/mods.lua(182,1) Mod: UpAndAway_test (Up and Away)  Error loading mod!
...Don't Starve/data/../mods/UpAndAway_test/modmain.lua:3: mod module 'start_wicker' not found:
no field package.preload['start_wicker']
no file '../mods/UpAndAway_test/start_wicker.lua'
LUA ERROR stack traceback:
        =[C] in function 'error'
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/../mods/UpAndAway_test/lib/use.lua(121,1) in function 'use'
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/../mods/UpAndAway_test/modmain.lua(3,1) in main chunk
        =[C] in function 'xpcall'
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/scripts/util.lua(433,1) in function 'RunInEnvironment'
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/scripts/mods.lua(179,1) in function 'InitializeModMain'
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/scripts/mods.lua(162,1) in function 'LoadMods'
        scripts/main.lua(222,1) in function 'ModSafeStartup'
        scripts/main.lua(271,1)
        =[C] in function 'SetPersistentString'
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/scripts/mainfunctions.lua(17,1) in function 'SavePersistentString'
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/scripts/modindex.lua(58,1)
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/scripts/modindex.lua(45,1) in function 'BeginStartupSequence'
        scripts/main.lua(270,1) in function 'callback'
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/scripts/modindex.lua(268,1)
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/scripts/modindex.lua(248,1) in function 'Load'
        scripts/main.lua(269,1) in main chunk

Edit: I found this and repaired but now it can't find thunder_tree.xml (and .tex) in /images :/
I tried to find it.

Edit2: Downloaded it and replaced.
Edited by Minik435
  • Like 1

@debugman18

I implemented the Balloon Hound, see what you think of it. Its spawning and its brain (when floating) have not been covered yet, this is meant to showcase how it'll look with my suggestion of glueing prefabs.

If you DebugSpawn it, it will be placed on the ground. To help with testing, I defined two debug methods:

h = gimme "balloon_hound"h:SetHeight(2) -- sets a height while preserving other coordinatesh:Pop() -- pops the balloon
I also made the ballon pop when the hound is attacked, which will fall to the ground and chase you (this is still open for debate, of course :razz:).

And I noticed the maximum height of an entity for it to remain attackable is 2. Even a height of 2.00001 will make it unattackable.

Error... BTW thx for this one.

(error)

Edit: I found this and repaired but now it can't find thunder_tree.xml (and .tex) in /images :/

I tried to find it.

Edit2: Downloaded it and replaced.

Thanks for the tips. The (relatively new) file start_wicker.lua had not been listed in the files to put in the package, and the new thunder_tree minimap icon assets were not being declared in the mod at all. Without your feedback we'd probably take a long time to realise that.

You seem to have fixed the issues yourself, but here's the (hopefully) fixed package anyway:

UpAndAway-prealpha.zip

Edited by simplex
  • Like 1

I found few not-completely-made textures and names:

- all from craftable (ALL!!!) have not textures.

- gems in... heaven?... have not names.

- most of plants are pickable but not shows in inventory (and their names are not shown).

- one mob in... up world... have not textures.

I'll report later others, rest is working perfectly for me. :)

I found few not-completely-made textures and names:

- all from craftable (ALL!!!) have not textures.

- gems in... heaven?... have not names.

- most of plants are pickable but not shows in inventory (and their names are not shown).

- one mob in... up world... have not textures.

I'll report later others, rest is working perfectly for me. :-)

We know about the missing artstuffs.

Does the banner on the main menu work for you? Our other tester gets a crash if he clicks it.