Cheats button?

Today I opened Don't Starve and saw something I wasn't used to seeing. On the main menu, just below Play, Settings, etc., was a new fourth button: Cheats. Curious, I clicked it. It had a button for unlocking "everything," and for resetting my profile. Shrugged and went on my way. When my girlfriend got home, I asked if she'd seen the new Cheats button, to which she replied there wasn't one. I reopened my game to show her it in mine, and it was gone.

What made it appear? Did I do something to make it show up? Was it added temporarily, then hastily removed? Am I just crazy?

Is there any way to remove the "cheats" after you clicked it? I did it, thinking it would show me a list of the cheats (and/or enable certain ones), not that it would unlock everything :(. I haven't played but maybe once since then, when I realized everything was open to me and it took the challenge out of it.

Would hate to have to reinstall after unlocking so much legitimately.

Is there any way to remove the "cheats" after you clicked it? I did it, thinking it would show me a list of the cheats (and/or enable certain ones), not that it would unlock everything :(. I haven't played but maybe once since then, when I realized everything was open to me and it took the challenge out of it.

Sounds like an annoying problem. No idea how to reset the data though. I hope they add a option to reset your progress someday.

Sounds like an annoying problem. No idea how to reset the data though. I hope they add a option to reset your progress someday.

Unless they already have an internal way of doing it, this soudns like a issue too small and limited for them to take time and fix.

Unless they already have an internal way of doing it, this soudns like a issue too small and limited for them to take time and fix.

That's what I'm afraid of :(. I was really enjoying the challenge, but now that's FUBAR'd. If there's a file I can delete and just start over, I don't mind, necessarily. I hate to lose my unlocks, but if I at least have my current map, I can easily get back to where the mistake happened. I hadn't unlocked much beyond the second character and a few techs (maybe a little more than half a dozen, so not a HUGE loss). My world is gifted with abundant resources within 3 days travel, to get me back to where I was. I just don't want the free ride I have now :(

(Although the Librarian and Strongman are kind of fun for the first few minutes of play lol ... can't wait to unlock them legitimately).

(Although the Librarian and Strongman are kind of fun for the first few minutes of play lol ... can't wait to unlock them legitimately).

The librarian (Wickerbottom, I think her name is) can't actually be unlocked through normal gameplay yet. You got a bit of a sneak peek there. ;)

Followed all of those instructions. When it comes to:

5) Launch the game from Steam

6) Start a new game, and an error will popup "Failed to load the save game, as the file is corrupt"

7) Choose "Overwrite", and then "Yes" to confirm

I click the New Game button, and nothing happens. It sits on the same screen with the same menu items, and has no popup saying "failed to load" or anything else. :(

The librarian (Wickerbottom, I think her name is) can't actually be unlocked through normal gameplay yet. You got a bit of a sneak peek there. ;)

While I'm honored by the sneak peek, I cheated :(. But yes, she's interesting ;)

I just want my challenge back!!!!! Bleh!

If I have to buy the game all over again, I will, but I hope it doesn't come to that. Going to delve a bit more deeply on Monday into the files, to see if I can't erase my mistakes (maybe a complete reinstall will work?) Don't want to lose my world, as it's exceptionally coool (yes, three o's), but I guess if I want the challenge again I have to try.

Btw to Klei: Loved MotN too :) Man, such simple games, and so profound in their execution!

That's what I'm afraid of :(. I was really enjoying the challenge, but now that's FUBAR'd. If there's a file I can delete and just start over, I don't mind, necessarily. I hate to lose my unlocks, but if I at least have my current map, I can easily get back to where the mistake happened. I hadn't unlocked much beyond the second character and a few techs (maybe a little more than half a dozen, so not a HUGE loss). My world is gifted with abundant resources within 3 days travel, to get me back to where I was. I just don't want the free ride I have now :(

Lol, the cheat have unlocking the last character?

My idea: test aa wickerbottom because you're being privileged.

Restore your game after this.

Edited by DFox

Bleh. Was going to do as suggested (testing the unlocked toons), but in between the time I posted and now, the Start New Game button no longer functioned for me, requiring a reinstall (even starting a new map didn't work). Not sure what happened, but regardless, I'm now "CHEAT FREE" and trying to get back to where I was on the last build. Almost there. Bugger is, what used to take me two days of walking to get to particular resources, is now taking me 5 days of travel LOL (it's a pretty big map)! Only reason I haven't started a new map again is that a graveyard is nearby, along with a bunny farm, so I'm not hurting (yet) for research or food :)

Devs should mark that cheat button "DO NOT CLICK!" in big bold red letters in case they mess up and publish it again :D

Curiosity killed the Wilson!

The only way that I've found to remove all the unlocked data on the STEAM version is to disable the steam cloud for Don't Starve, uninstall it, and delete ALL the folders for the game in your steam folder. Then, re-install it with Steam, and everything should be zero'd out.

This does remove EVERYTHING as a clean install of the game, so you wouldn't still have all of your legitimate unlocks either. :/ As far as I know that's the only kind of "reset" you can do.