Nov 30 Hotfix

Kevin

• Developer

Here's a big, detailed list. Hopefully this will break the cycle of poop-and-grass addiction:

FARMS

• farm plots are fully fertilized when they are built
  • farm plots have much higher fertilizer capacity (used to be 6, now is 10,20,30)
  • Poop fertilizes farms more efficiently and speeds crop growth more efficiently

DEPLOYING / BUILDING

• an unsuccessful deploy will not consume the deployable
  • chests can be placed closer together
  • non-colliding deployables can be placed closer together
  • twigs and grass to not become exhaustable until you transplant them (in existing saves, everything counts as not-yet-transplanted, because I wasn’t tracking this before)
  • transplanted grass is good for 20 cycles per poop

USING GRASS

• fillers (other than twigs and petals) can no longer be used in the crock pot
  • traps can be used 10 times instead of 5
  • recipe changes to reduce grass usage:
    • Torch uses 1 less grass
    • Trap uses 2 less grass
    • Bugnet uses 1 less rope
    • farms cost less poop to make
    • Golden tools use 2 less gold
    • Panflute uses 1 less rope
    • rope uses 1 less grass
    • papyrus uses 2 less reeds
    • logsuit uses 2 less rope
    • spear uses 1 rope instead of 2 grass
    • strawhat uses 12 grass instead of 25
    • beefalo hat, beehat, tophat use no grass
    • football helmet uses 3 less pigskin, 1 less rope

MISC

• Axe, pickaxe (and gold equivalents) last a bit longer
  • Minerhat lasts twice as long
  • Fire fueling values have been updated: (all times for campfire, x2 for firepit)
    • Grass gives 22.5 seconds of light
    • Logs give 75 seconds of light

PIGS

• pigs don’t eat off the ground as often
  • pigs don’t eat mandrakes
  • pigs can be given veggiesmore often, and will refuse them if you try to do it too often
  • pig houses take 3 days to rebuild a dead pig
  • pigs drop either a meat or a pigskin (75%-25% split)
  • pigs, spider, and hounds can eat pigskins

• pigs can be given veggiesmore often, and will refuse them if you try to do it too often

And so a need for variety is mandatory. Bravo

P.S. 20 cycles is quite the jump, but such a vast majority of people apparently can't live without the stuff, so it'll get some happy faces, i'm sure.

wow, thats a lot of changes. to see how this will work in the game will surely take a lot of time, but the list looks really good for now. I like the reduced pig skin droprate, and balancing it right away with the lowered costs. really good move, now let's just hope that these changes will go well with the gameplay :)

oh, and if it's not asked too much, could you also add the fuel stats of the char coal? I always wondered how good this item is compared to woodlogs. thanks in advance!

wow, thats a lot of changes. to see how this will work in the game will surely take a lot of time, but the list looks really good for now. I like the reduced pig skin droprate, and balancing it right away with the lowered costs. really good move, now let's just hope that these changes will go well with the gameplay :)

oh, and if it's not asked too much, could you also add the fuel stats of the char coal? I always wondered how good this item is compared to woodlogs. thanks in advance!

Oh yes, I'd love to know how much better charcoal is as a fuel source!

I like this hotfix a lot! However I am not sure 'bout the straw hat and some other things. These are things you have to deserve :) so a little grind is good I think. Just my opinion. If not replanted grass does not need to fertilize, make than the moved ones to last on 10 uses. 20 is about sixty day, is not it?

Why do the Rock Birds aggro so hard now?

I was just walking through the area, had not stolen any bird eggs that game, and they start chasing me with their increased movement speed. I run all day through two forests, back to the pig village, and they won't stop chasing and the pigs won't attack them.

I get it, it's a survival game, but if rock birds are going to act like werepigs, then I'll just dart and kill all of them. The pitiful amount of eggs they supply isn't worth the grief. On a related note, the rock birds haven't been laying eggs. As I walked through the area, all the nests were empty before they started to pursue. Maybe something else ate their eggs?

Fix rock bird aggro please.

Yes, yes, yes! A great update to stop settling at pigs for infinite food your first day! :D This will also make it harder to mass amount pig skin just from one area. Good job.

From the intensive care this game is given with the hotfixes and regular patches, I'm really getting a sense that the devs have a lot of vision for this game. It's really creatively energizing to see. The general feeling I'm getting from Don't Starve is that it's meant to be a very harsh survival game which allows a player to hit an equilibrium, but not being able to maintain it forever without a lot of know-how that you can't just get from an online guide.

(sort of like how in Dwarf Fortress, you're almost certainly doomed eventually unless you're a very experienced player)

So yeah, I just wanted to say these rapid balance hotfixes are great and I'm really happy the devs are willing to let the game be a continual work in progress than shy from potential community backlash.

I haven't seen the change in pig spawning. The rate is still that they come back every day. And an interesting find to see hounds go after pig bottoms (not bad, just unexpected).

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't seen the change in pig spawning. The rate is still that they come back every day. And an interesting find to see hounds go after pig bottoms (not bad, just unexpected).

What I've played of it, I'm loving the fix. The recipe adjustments are awesome. The spear needing rope makes more sense too.

But are burnt trees supposed to drop pine cones? I'm getting one about every 4 or 5 trees I burn. Not that I'm complaining...<_< 2 charcoal lasting well through the night is awesome. As Soon as I find the pig king and sell my soul for some gold, I'll start being a nomad after I build a charcoal supply.

I played a bit and to my mind the grass and especially the farm plots work very well. It is a bit hard to see, if the grass needs poo or not, but the characters tell us by clicking on it. Thus it's not really annoying. One time I was out of grass and didn't even notice but I strongly needed it, because it was close to darkness and I'm playing as Wilson (I want to figure out, how huge his beard can become). But without such situations it won't be as fun, as it is. And thanks for allowing us to place chest nearer, I hated the fact that there were these huge gaps between my chests - it looked horrible.

I'm pretty satisfied, the game is awesome and it still gets better.

let us have the longest beard XD btw is there any name i can call u instead of growlitheappear? lol