Regarding the recent discussion environment of the forum

Now the forum seems to be shrouded in a gloomy and sad mood. It seems that there is no room for rescue in this game anymore.

Of course, this is not the first time it has happened. A similar thing happened during the first character redo, where people complained that a character was too strong or too weak.

With the update of the skill tree, it seems that the game has become increasingly simple. This phenomenon immediately made a comeback, and some people seem not satisfied with the current updates.

As an ordinary player, what I want to say about this is that having opinions is normal, and it is impossible to say that all updates are as you wish. Just like I used to hope Klei could remove Willow's skill cooldown, but Klei's official response was clear that it was not possible. I am not disappointed with this game, and my perspective is no longer limited to it (of course, I am satisfied with the optimization of affinity skills, which shows that it is still useful to provide my own opinions). I believe Klei wants to make DST a game different from DS, which will disappoint a large number of people. But I still want to say that DST is not DS. Klei must consider for the long-term development of DST, rather than adding any kind of updates.

So, if you have any opinions, you can definitely raise them, but don't keep complaining. If you are tired of a game, then go play other games or do other things. If you want to come back and take a look, Charlie always welcomes your arrival.:wilson_love:

• Like 7
  • Shopcat 1
  • Big Ups 1
  • Spooky 1

Actually.. DST IS Dont Starve, and it was only ever intended to be Dont Starve, it was literally just DS+RoG with Multiplayer, that’s why it’s advertised and sold as a stand alone expansion pack to the single player game.

It was only ever supposed to be DS but with Multiplayer.

And it wasn’t until Klei started adding new content Beyond that, that it started becoming a different game & something else entirely.

I can’t say I’m a fan of the games overly focus on Boss fights, or the bizarre character skill trees with all upsides & no downside but that’s the game Klei has turned DST into now.

I miss the days where downsides mattered though, where Woodie couldn’t just become completely immune to moon transformations, Wendy had to wait for Abigail’s cooldown to summon her again- Etc..

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Wavey 1

The upcoming changes and additions sound great. The only thing that keeps me brooding is what the player will be left to do once all the convenience is in place. Hopefully additional late game / rift challenges in the future will make for a beautiful end-game. :d

• Like 4

Oh man. I almost forgot why I stick to the PlayStation forums. Now you guys making threads about your rage threads. It's only a matter of time until this turns into another "i hate this game" like the other threads. 

What an exhausting lifestyle. 

• Like 11
  • Sad Dupe 4
  • GL Happy 3

2 minutes ago, Fatkitty said:

Oh man. I almost forgot why I stick to the PlayStation forums. Now you guys making threads about your rage threads. It's only a matter of time until this turns into another "i hate this game" like the other threads. 

100%

These forums surely ain't inspiring any devs 

Which sucks because this is a fantastic game 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Health 1
  • Spooky 1

29 minutes ago, Fatkitty said:

I want threads about threads about the rage threads.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • GL Happy 1
  • Spooky 1

7 hours ago, zhangsheng said:

Now the forum seems to be shrouded in a gloomy and sad mood. It seems that there is no room for rescue in this game anymore.

Of course, this is not the first time it has happened. A similar thing happened during the first character redo, where people complained that a character was too strong or too weak.

With the update of the skill tree, it seems that the game has become increasingly simple. This phenomenon immediately made a comeback, and some people seem not satisfied with the current updates.

As an ordinary player, what I want to say about this is that having opinions is normal, and it is impossible to say that all updates are as you wish. Just like I used to hope Klei could remove Willow's skill cooldown, but Klei's official response was clear that it was not possible. I am not disappointed with this game, and my perspective is no longer limited to it (of course, I am satisfied with the optimization of affinity skills, which shows that it is still useful to provide my own opinions). I believe Klei wants to make DST a game different from DS, which will disappoint a large number of people. But I still want to say that DST is not DS. Klei must consider for the long-term development of DST, rather than adding any kind of updates.

So, if you have any opinions, you can definitely raise them, but don't keep complaining. If you are tired of a game, then go play other games or do other things. If you want to come back and take a look, Charlie always welcomes your arrival.:wilson_love:

I liked your approach here. I myself also love the game, and said before that no matter what they do with it, I still will.

However I also think that criticism and feedback are strong words. I know, but if we want the best game possible, we gotta be honest, driven, focused and compliant. We gotta discuss and talk about, and bring these "issues" to a main audience to see what people have to think about.

3 hours ago, Kwaik said:

100%

These forums surely ain't inspiring any devs 

Which sucks because this is a fantastic game 

The forums are a place for feedback, and sometimes it can be against the current, but there is nothing wrong with that.

We gotta look at the game thinking it can improve and discuss our opinions here.

9 minutes ago, Swiyss said:

I liked your approach here. I myself also love the game, and said before that no matter what they do with it, I still will.

However I also think that criticism and feedback are strong words. I know, but if we want the best game possible, we gotta be honest, driven, focused and compliant. We gotta discuss and talk about, and bring these "issues" to a main audience to see what people have to think about.

The forums are a place for feedback, and sometimes it can be against the current, but there is nothing wrong with that.

We gotta look at the game thinking it can improve and discuss our opinions here.

Constructive criticism is good 

Deconstructive criticism is bad 

This board is way too much of the latter and not enough of the former. 

People who do jobs are human, I can assure you that people don't get inspired and do a better job when they just constantly get dumped on.  

It's hard to tell if it's a herd mentality on these boards, or if the handful of most negative people just tend to post the most and get the most attention 

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

and it was only ever intended to be Dont Starve, it was literally just DS+RoG with Multiplayer, that’s why it’s advertised and sold as a stand alone expansion pack to the single player game.

Obviously not, considering it became something different.

it would be a strange practice to make the sequel the exact same game + multiplayer. It doesn’t sound like a healthy long term plan to me, new stuff was getting added eventually.

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

And it wasn’t until Klei started adding new content Beyond that, that it started becoming a different game & something else entirely.

I can’t say I’m a fan of the games overly focus on Boss fights, or the bizarre character skill trees with all upsides & no downside but that’s the game Klei has turned DST into now.

I miss the days where downsides mattered though, where Woodie couldn’t just become completely immune to moon transformations, Wendy had to wait for Abigail’s cooldown to summon her again- Etc..

Like it or not, it IS a different game, and it is okay to no longer like that game.

mike i dont say this to be hateful, but truthfully, you complain constantly that the game is moving away from being a hardcore survival experience and then act shocked when klei continues the trends that they have been following for years.

dont starve together is not a hardcore survival style game. (And it never was) Expecting them to do a full 180 and start focusing on the development of hardcore survival mechanics is just not realistic.  

Its dont starve, but it isnt the dont starve YOU want. You should really either try to learn to love what its becoming or move on soon. Because you’re just torturing yourself with this imagined ideal dont starve. 

mike the game will never be hard for you again (even if they DID start pumping out survivalist style updated)

it just wont man, and i get you want it to be, there are many games i wish i could play again for the first time, but i just cant. And you just cant have dont starve suddenly become a hard game again.

you’ve learned all there is to learn, you’ve played presumably over a thousand hours. There is no way back mike. The game has shown you all it has and even if the developers put all their development time into updates that you would love, it cannot suddenly revert to being difficult for you again without reworking literally everything you already know.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Kwaik said:

Constructive criticism is good 

Deconstructive criticism is bad 

This board is way too much of the latter and not enough of the former. 

People who do jobs are human, I can assure you that people don't get inspired and do a better job when they just constantly get dumped on.  

It's hard to tell if it's a herd mentality on these boards, or if the handful of most negative people just tend to post the most and get the most attention 

My approach is like this because it is how I grew up, criticism always made me think, and even if I still think there is a place for great feedback, doesn't mean that I will stop "criticizing" the game.

We have many many appreciation posts here, is just that people enjoy talking more about the "negative" things because that is where the great things come from.

I might even have more positive threads than negative ones even.

I think feedback helps a Ton when developing a game. And honesty drives commitment. We can always be positive, but what will Klei think of it? Not too much I say.

I might be wrong but.. positive feedback might only benefit showing what specific main points are being made correctly. So then, the only thing left for them to do is.. to keep doing it what they were doing before, there is not much to add.

But constructive criticism, even if honest, can bring a whole new way of envisioning things.

I also don't think I understand what destructive criticism would look like.

Maybe : "this thing in the game should be removed or it will ruin the game".

If that's the case, than we got a whole bunch of destructive criticism here.

Under layers and layers of complains and crazy suggestions, the message is that we care about the game. We care so much we spend time posting large walls of text telling them how to be better for our own standards.

If you don't like the way someone expresses his ideas you can hide their posts to never see them again.

• Like 8

It's getting to the point that I almost want Klei to make a rule about keeping criticism constructive. If you have a problem, provide a solution. If you think an idea is flawed, suggest an alternative. Don't just be negative for the sake of getting more people to respond to your thread.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DegenerateFurry said:

It's getting to the point that I almost want Klei to make a rule about keeping criticism constructive. If you have a problem, provide a solution. If you think an idea is flawed, suggest an alternative. Don't just be negative for the sake of getting more people to respond to your thread.

what? are you serious?

"negativity is now prohibited" would be a weird one.

Edited by Swiyss
  • Thanks 1
  • Big Ups 1

3 hours ago, Copyafriend said:

Obviously not, considering it became something different.

it would be a strange practice to make the sequel the exact same game + multiplayer. It doesn’t sound like a healthy long term plan to me, new stuff was getting added eventually.

Like it or not, it IS a different game, and it is okay to no longer like that game.

mike i dont say this to be hateful, but truthfully, you complain constantly that the game is moving away from being a hardcore survival experience and then act shocked when klei continues the trends that they have been following for years.

dont starve together is not a hardcore survival style game. (And it never was) Expecting them to do a full 180 and start focusing on the development of hardcore survival mechanics is just not realistic.  

Its dont starve, but it isnt the dont starve YOU want. You should really either try to learn to love what its becoming or move on soon. Because you’re just torturing yourself with this imagined ideal dont starve. 

mike the game will never be hard for you again (even if they DID start pumping out survivalist style updated)

it just wont man, and i get you want it to be, there are many games i wish i could play again for the first time, but i just cant. And you just cant have dont starve suddenly become a hard game again.

you’ve learned all there is to learn, you’ve played presumably over a thousand hours. There is no way back mike. The game has shown you all it has and even if the developers put all their development time into updates that you would love, it cannot suddenly revert to being difficult for you again without reworking literally everything you already know.

When DST gets hamlet style temples with floor traps, wall traps and other standard RogueLite/like hazards, come talk to me again then. When harvesting resources (such as flipping over stones or cracking open vases, or hacking down tree vines) has a chance to spawn hostile mobs.

I dislike the direction DST is Headed within because I see things like Klauses Red Magma Craters & Antlions SandSpike attacks and I can’t help but think to myself that instead of being limited to one tiny restricted boss fight- These things would’ve been put to better use by being part of their own swamp sized biomes..

Such as a molting hot underground lava cave biome where the ground would occasionally glow red before erupting beneath your feet.

Just because the franchise wants to instead take on a skill point, power tree, RPG Quest & team Raid boss beat ‘em up route, doesn’t mean I can’t miss, or complain about what once was.

• Like 5

I think part of it has to do with the "I stated it before and am tired of repeating myself" situation. I know I do this. I have stated precisely why I dislike X,Y, and Z in great detail. Numerous times. Now I just summarize those reasons. People who are unclear with the initial message likely just see <Negativity> rather than <Constructive Criticism> that was originally present. I am speculating though. Not certain about this.

• Like 2
  • Big Ups 1

8 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Actually.. DST IS Dont Starve, and it was only ever intended to be Dont Starve, it was literally just DS+RoG with Multiplayer, that’s why it’s advertised and sold as a stand alone expansion pack to the single player game.

Fully agree, I too miss the days where the game actually felt balanced and the content seamlessly fit into the world like in RoG, SW, and Hamlet. The New Reign updates for DST to me were great and fit very well into the world of DST and some stuff of RoT like the ocean, boats, lunar island, farming rework, crafting UI overhaul, ocean forest/canopy, ect. are great. Though to me a lot of the new content they are adding just doesn't fit well anymore it doesn't make the game feel like a survival game anymore and a lot of it is very out of place in the world.

Like unkillable bosses, skins which have very unnatural colors for DS like that one Wilson skin which had blue hair recently, stuff which is so random and feels out of place and was plopped in a random place in the world (charlie stage, junkyard, and remember they wanted to put daywalker/werepig boss originally on the overworld too so you'd just be casually walking around then see a giant werepig chained to marble in the middle of a forest or savanna or something), op characters, lots of things which feel like they are making the game into an rpg game to cater to the chinese audience (planar stuff, so many raid bosses, level-up/skill system), stuff which feels so unimmersive like the scrapbook which constantly is notifying you everytime you see something and it has MASSIVE :confused: ( ? ) over lots of important stuff which feels like something a mobile game would do, and they are putting lots of stuff locked behind grindiness like a lot of the new content is locked behind the stupid pearl friendship quests.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

8 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

This isn't true at all.

Klei specifically didn't want to do multiplayer because they knew it was going to be vastly different from the original. So different they had to remake the game from the ground up.

• Like 1
  • Big Ups 1

I think some of you guys are mixing up negative feedback and non constructive criticism. Constructive criticism could be "this mechanic is bad" or "I hate this part of the update". It doesn't have to be detailed or offer alternatives, it could just be "thing bad" and can even sound mean. Non constructive criticism would be something like "Klei sucks" or "game bad" where it doesn't really state what is bad or is just an excuse to attack the company. That criticism can't be used because it doesn't answer what is bad about the game. It just is an insult.

I haven't been too vocal on the forums lately, but I do lurk pretty frequently, and I don't really ever see non constructive criticism outside of a few cases. If there is a thing that people are unsatisfied with, they want to make that known, even if it is just stating that they don't like it and nothing more. I'm sure Klei reads that and takes it into account. They are a gaming company. They wouldn't have made it this far if they didn't have thick skin when it comes to criticism.

• Like 7
  • Big Ups 2
  • GL Happy 1

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

When DST gets hamlet style temples with floor traps, wall traps and other standard RogueLite/like hazards, come talk to me again then. When harvesting resources (such as flipping over stones or cracking open vases, or hacking down tree vines) has a chance to spawn hostile mobs.

I dislike the direction DST is Headed within because I see things like Klauses Red Magma Craters & Antlions SandSpike attacks and I can’t help but think to myself that instead of being limited to one tiny restricted boss fight- These things would’ve been put to better use by being part of their own swamp sized biomes..

Such as a molting hot underground lava cave biome where the ground would occasionally glow red before erupting beneath your feet.

Just because the franchise wants to instead take on a skill point, power tree, RPG Quest & team Raid boss beat ‘em up route, doesn’t mean I can’t miss, or complain about what once was.

I'm talking to you right now because they ARE moving in the "skill point, power tree rpg team raid boss beat 'em up route"

they aren't actively adding floor traps or other roguelite hazards. they aren't making resources attack you either.

and even if they DID add all those things that you said they could add. (which they could) the game isn't suddenly going to feel like it did back when you were new.

you are allowed to complain and miss what once was, but I'm more trying to say that you shouldn't torture yourself expecting klei to do a 180 when it's clear they have no intention of doing so. it's just not healthy man.

2 hours ago, Copyafriend said:

I'm talking to you right now because they ARE moving in the "skill point, power tree rpg team raid boss beat 'em up route"

they aren't actively adding floor traps or other roguelite hazards. they aren't making resources attack you either.

and even if they DID add all those things that you said they could add. (which they could) the game isn't suddenly going to feel like it did back when you were new.

you are allowed to complain and miss what once was, but I'm more trying to say that you shouldn't torture yourself expecting klei to do a 180 when it's clear they have no intention of doing so. it's just not healthy man.

after reaching 13k posts in the forum, you'd think they'll stop now? :(

Edited by mykenception

To put it simply and frankly, everyone's definition of having fun with DST these days is cold rationality. 

Each person pushes the opinion they think is right. Cranks up the numbers to feel satisfied with their progress in the game. Takes pure focus on efficiency, and an "Uncompromising" mindset which was compromised by the very concept of multiplayer. 

There's simply less warmth. Less tolerance to playstyles, players and game content deemed "inefficient" and therefore "inferior". Less focus on community creations and especially on art, what with the COVID-induced death of the Weekly Art Stream. Less focus on community interactions, in part due to pubs' griefer reputation, but also because people are simply too caught up in their suggestions and opinions to value the connections they make with other people in the game and in the community. Less focus on being nice, just so you can prove your point. Less focus on humor, if Maxwell Memes being stuck on page numbers for nearly years is any indication. Less focus on the lore, though to be fair that is underdone. 

Ultimately I cannot say this mindset is an incorrect one. Like everyone else, "I'm only stating my opinion". But it has made this place one of the least welcoming ones I have been on through the years. 

Edited by GetNerfedOn
Added to conclusion
  • Like 6
  • Sad Dupe 2
  • GL Happy 1

This forum is so weird to me. I have never seen any game forum as obsessed in 'design philosophy' and 'uncompromising' or whatever other gaming buzzword as much as this one. Like, it's almost unhealthy even. Heck, even other Klei game forum is not as bad as this one. It's baffling really.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, somethin said:

This forum is so weird to me. I have never seen any game forum as obsessed in 'design philosophy' and 'uncompromising' or whatever other gaming buzzword as much as this one. Like, it's almost unhealthy even. Heck, even other Klei game forum is not as bad as this one. It's baffling really.

agreed. it's almost like people don't care about what's fun but rather about the game keeping an image they idealized. 

• Like 3
  • Health 1
  • Big Ups 1

8 hours ago, Swiyss said:

what? are you serious?

"negativity is now prohibited" would be a weird one.

I did say "almost". But, seriously, people are using excessive negativity as a form of clickbait at this point. That probably shouldn't be a thing.