I am going insane

I dunno where to go Karen about this but I need to talk to the artist's manager whoever made this broken down wall rubble how it is.

image.png.a22f84cbe4b04c7e484880d723e8fc8e.png

It's the damn archive turfs. They got the most grossest thickest imaginable lines and I can't do anything with them. They look overly-like newhome kind of style to not fit into DST's more detailed environment

image.png.2d27cfc46aee7b16dc080f453b27d04a.png

Now if you tell me that this is not lunacy I'd argue you've eaten too many moonshrooms to tell or you've got no architectural taste in the game. Or prove me wrong with build you could use archive wall and rubble on without making them look like eyesore. 

I think the only issue I'd say is the thickest lines they could have put imaginable and they don't fit anywhere I try to without sticking out too much.

image.png.6b04a564ede31701d3a7816532233107.png

Gothic rocks, pretty, simple, detailed and ruined like a pile of pebbles I want them to be.

image.png.c198a6d0a4892fccc619762fac147924.png

Archive rocks. Do I need to tell how they don't work? Same for thulecite ones - I get the chunkiness and idea behind it but THE LINES JUST DON'T WORK FOR THIS! I beg for eventual correction or some respriting to be done cause the walls themselves are neat but the broken down state is EUGH

Subscribe for more nightmare fuel and rants.

• Like 11
  • Sanity 1
  • Wavey 1

Wording could be better, but yeah, I've always ended up avoiding these walls due to their rubble state.

They really stick out, they're super think outlined and under detailed compared to other walls' rubble states.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

OOOGA BOOOGA

DST community when there is no update news for 0.2 seconds:

Ekrangrnts2024-02-23195329.png.0ea8ba9d2da4c9c8bb03d628c7e79ec8.png

Spoiler

About the topic: Yeah they look really off when you compare them to Gothic one. Unfortunately, I don't see klei changing them anytime soon.

Also, you have a really pretty looking base. :encouragement:

• Haha 27
  • GL Happy 1

Just now, mkemal23 said:

DST community when there is no update news for 0.2 seconds:

Ekrangrnts2024-02-23195329.png.0ea8ba9d2da4c9c8bb03d628c7e79ec8.png

Hide contents

About the topic: Yeah they look really off when you compare them to Gothic one. Unfortunately, I don't see klei changing them anytime soon.

Also, you have a really pretty looking base. :encouragement:

That's perfect timing right there :lol:

• Happy Hazard 1

2 hours ago, ChintzyGnat said:

Thick lines can be bad but what if I told you nitre still doesn't have an HD texture :wilson_wink:

I would say that while upsetting, it is understandable as whilst most things have been converted, some are left over.

Other notable examples are most things from RoT, such as Skitter Squids. I think birch nuts are another LQ early game item.

• Like 1

They really are out of place and I don't use them either because the lines are just way too thick it looks unnatural. It would be nice if Klei could fix it and other items like ADM showed for consistency sake.

11 hours ago, ChintzyGnat said:

Thick lines can be bad but what if I told you nitre still doesn't have an HD texture :wilson_wink:

Ya, a good amount of stuff still don't have HD texture it's sad.

• foliage / Fern (super low res)
  • moonrock_seed / Celestial Orb (super low res)
  • rock_moon_shell / Suspicious Boulder (The moon boulder that drops celestial orb)
  • bird_eggs / Egg, Rotten Egg, Cooked Egg (super low res)
  • crater_pool / (Lunar) Hot Spring (super low res)
  • boat_repair_tape_build / Using Winona's tape to patch a boat leak (super low res)
  • glass_mining_fx / Mining moon glass boulders (super low res)
  • brightmare_gestalt / Gesalts
  • swap_bullkelproot / Bull Kelp Stalk (Whip)
  • boat_leak_build / Boat leaks
  • fishbones / The fish skeletons on lunar island
  • moon_fissure_fx / Celestial Fissures
  • moon_tree_petal / Lune Tree Blossom
  • spider_mound_mutated / Shattered spider hole
  • star_trap / Anenemy (super low res)
  • cook_pot_food / Crockpot foods (some of the newer ones are HD like the fig crockpot foods, but the ones we've had since forever and even newer releases are LQ and even the ones we had forever like meatballs they are lower res than the ones in DS Hamlet! ALL the foods should be as HD as the fig crockpot foods)
  • salt / Salt (super low res)
  • berries_juicy / corn / dragonfruit / durian / garlic / pepper / eggplant / pumpkin / pomegrante / asparagus / onion / watermelon / berries / tomato / Basically, all crops (low res)
  • cookiecuttershell / Not only low res but the outline is super thin which makes it look super ugly compared to other items (EXTREME LOW RES)
  • All non-canary birds / Any bird which isn't the canary is lower res than the canary, they should all be HD like the canary
  • squid_build / Skittersquid
  • eel / Eel
  • spoiled_fish / spoiled_fish_small / Rotten fish (super low res)
  • All ocean fish / Ocean fish are all low res compared to pond fish
  • acorn / Birch Nut (super low res)
  • moon_altar and all of its related textures / The thing you build on the lunar island to craft lunar stuff
  • gnarwail
  • deerclops / Deerclops is low res compared to the lunar possessed deerclops which is super HD. It doesn't help that deerclops is upscaled via code which makes it look even blurrier in game with its lower res texture
  • bearger / Bearger is low res compared to the super HD bearger_mutated (lunar possessed bearger)
  • barnacle / (super low res)
  • barnacle_burr / (super low res)
  • shadow_wavey_jones / shadow_wavey_jones_hand / Wavey Jones (low res)
  • lightning / The actual lightning (super low res)
  • Basically everything unique to the lunar grotto archives in the caves
  • lightflier / Bulbous Lightbug (super low res)
  • moon_cap / Lunar mushroom (super low res)
  • fruitflyfruit
  • butter
  • cactus_meat
  • batwing / (super low res)
  • charcoal / (super low res)
  • drumstick / (super low res)
  • nitre / (super low res)
  • drumstick / (super low res)
  • tentaclespots / (super low res)
  • tentacle_spike / When on the ground (super low res)
  • stinger / (super low res)
  • ice / It's such an important texture too (super low res)
  • ice_boulder / (super low res)
  • mining_ice_fx
  • tentaclespots / (super low res)
  • redlantern / (super low res)
  • spider_white / compared to the other spiders their texture is very low res
  • explode / the explosion effect when gunpowder explodes
  • forcefield / the forcefield effect of the thulecite crown
  • frozen_shatter / the effect when stuff break out of being frozen
  • impact / the effect when you whip stuff or i think hit things with projectile weapons
  • deer_antler / the antlers no-eyed deer drop
  • crafting_table / the Ancient Pseudoscience Station
  • fossil_piece / Fossil Fragment
  • monkey_barrel / Spluemonkey pods
  • ALL mushroom trees
  • nightmare_crack_ruins / Nightmare fissures
  • petrified_tree / petrified_tree_tall / petrified_trunk_break / petrified_tree_fx / petrified_tree_short / Rock evergreens
  • nesting_ground / Moose goose is nest stuff on the floor
  • poop_cloud / the effect when you use poop as fuel
  • pig_torch / Pig guard totems
  • forest_glowberry
  • fossil_stalker / when you assemble the fuelweaver's skeleton with fossils
  • igloo_track / the effect of an abandoned walrus igloo on the ground
  • koalephant_trunk
  • klaus_bag / Klaus Sack
  • sand_spike / Antloin's sand spike attacks
  • shadowheart / Shadow Artrium heart
  • pillar_cave / pillar_cave_flintless / pillar_cave_rock / pillar_stalactite / pillar_algae / pillar_atrium / All the big rock pillars in the caves
  • ruins_rubble
  • smoke_plants / I think this is the smoldering effect
  • walrus_tusk
  • marble_pillar / marble_trees / marbleshrub
  • mining_fx / when you mine a rock
  • tallbird_egg / funnily enough it's not low res in the tallbird's texture
  • mapscroll_cave / compared to the mapscroll it's crazy low res and it's just a recolor lol
  • wagstaff_tools / (super low res)
  • slurtle / slurtle_snaily / hat_slurtle / hat_slurtle / slurtle_mound / slurtle_slime /  Basically, everything slurtle/snurtle related except for armor_slurtleshell and shell pieces (super low res)
  • wave_shimmer_deep / wave_shimmer_deep / wave_shimmer_deep / Most wave effects in the ocean
  • Winona's unique craftables
  • Everything related to Wortox souls
  • All the quagmire / Gorge textures except the pigeon so they can't even be used for modding purposes if you want them to look nice :(
  • And the worst of all... the ground textures for turf which you can clearly see when you zoom in how blurry it is :wilson_ill:

Lol there's probably other low quality textures, but that's my compiled list.

Edited by . . .
  • Like 5
  • Sanity 1
  • Wavey 1
  • Sad Dupe 2

12 minutes ago, . . . said:
  • All non-canary birds / Any bird which isn't the canary is lower res than the canary, they should all be HD like the canary

These are HD! They're a few notches down compared to the raw art of the Canary, but they're not their LQ original art anymore!
image.png.090e9d6530b9b34e79315f2e548e1a22.png

14 minutes ago, . . . said:
  • spider_white / compared to the other spiders their texture is very low res

These are also HD! They had their build edited to allow for it, since making them HD didn't work with their webbing originally.
image.png.b5f0ee7aa1caaefcb22e5e3bac982756.png

Otherwise yeah, there's still quite a lot of LQ stuff left. I personally hope for the mobs to be tackled first, I see them a lot.
Basic items too, at that. The more common ones!

• Thanks 2
  • GL Happy 1

On 2/24/2024 at 3:11 AM, -Variant said:

These are HD!

They are definitely not super low-quality like before, but as their counterparts are more HD it would be nice for consistency sake for them to all equally have textures as HD as one another instead of most of them in the spider's case are super HD except for the white spider and in birds case only the canary is super HD while the rest are lower quality than it.

Consistency is good especially when it comes to graphic fidelity :D

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, . . . said:

spider's case are super HD except for the white spider

Oh I can dream, I have no excuse for the birds, but there's a reason this spider isn't super HD.

The webbing isn't optimized properly, and would need its dropping animation redone if it wanted to become super HD. It takes up a lot of atlas space, which is why it was the last to be updated in the first place.

But yes, I agree, I'd kill for consistent HD banks.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 11:38 AM, Frosty_Mentos said:

It's the damn archive turfs.

I'm almost positive you mean wall skins. However, I am curious how you and other die-hard DST fans feel about the original turfs of the game being lower quality compared to newer HD turfs. And do we think we'll ever see those other turfs become HD?

3 hours ago, dzzydzzy said:

I'm almost positive you mean wall skins. However, I am curious how you and other die-hard DST fans feel about the original turfs of the game being lower quality compared to newer HD turfs. And do we think we'll ever see those other turfs become HD?

wall skins

On 2/23/2024 at 4:38 PM, Frosty_Mentos said:

image.png.6b04a564ede31701d3a7816532233107.png

I love this road design!
I personally would wish for all walls to go back to softer outlines like they used to be, and continue to be in singleplayer.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, -Kiyo- said:

I personally would wish for all walls to go back to softer outlines like they used to be, and continue to be in singleplayer.

finally! Someone other than me knows what walls should look like.

• Like 2

On 2/25/2024 at 5:54 PM, -Variant said:

Oh I can dream, I have no excuse for the birds, but there's a reason this spider isn't super HD.

The webbing isn't optimized properly, and would need its dropping animation redone if it wanted to become super HD. It takes up a lot of atlas space, which is why it was the last to be updated in the first place.

But yes, I agree, I'd kill for consistent HD banks.

Would it be possible for all of the spider to improve in quality except for the webbing animation which stays lower quality so it abruptly becomes better looking when it finishes the animation? Or is there something behind the scenes that would prevent that?

2 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Or is there something behind the scenes that would prevent that?

The webbing is "part of the spider".

Every other spider is as HD as they can get right now, since they don't use webbing.
White Spiders/Dwellers use their webbing in the descending animation. 
This webbing is baked into their atlas, so making the spiders any more HD would also make the webbing HD, which means more space taken in the atlas. Get's too big, it's unusable. 
It's essentially part of the spider itself, in that sense. So leaving it LQ wouldn't do much.

What they could do is remove it from the build entirely and make it into a override build... this'd let any spider use the webbing, which'd be nice for modders and would probably allow for the Dweller to get that tiny quality boost, but I don't know if the effort is on the table right now. Lest, that's my theory for the simplest fix.