Poll: Additional Clothing/armor slot for 2024 QoL

Clothing/Armor slot as new addition to survival and general use  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Should we get a slot for armor/clothing for QoL?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Unsure/indifferent.
  2. 2. Which one would you prefer if you had to choose?

• Clothing slot.
    • Armor slot.
    • One in the same slot.
    • Two slots, one for clothing other for armor in same bar.
    • Unsure/indifferent.
  3. 3. What's your opinion on this topic?

• I like this idea and I would want to go through with it.
    • Seems interesting, but I'm concerned over the balance of this for the game.
    • Seems unbalanced.
    • Seems unnecessary, talking in the sense that I don't want this change.
    • Unsure/indifferent.
  4. 4. Do you use Extra Equip Slots mod?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Only when I join other servers.
  5. 5. If you do want this change: what's the reason behind it?

• For fashion!
    • For comfort!
    • Fashion comfort science and all above!
    • It's long overdue for clothing/armor slot, 10 years to be exact.
    • There's skin choices for already few clothing items, might as well if there will be more then add a slot for it.
    • I don't want this change.

I think it would make the game too simple. And it's not just about the backpack vs. body items - you can wear insulation or armor in the head slot too. Juggling items and choosing between them is an important difficulty factor, without it every season will feel like autumn - you just wear armor at all times and change between tam and eyebrella, or occasionally miner's hat/moggles. If you're never vulnerable to anything in a survival game, that's just boring. I know that "uncompromising survival game" has become kind of a meme, but until klei decides to completely remove all survival aspects out of it, it will still be a survival game. Which means the player should not be feeling comfy in it.

• Like 11
  • Big Ups 1

11 minutes ago, ThymeSpirit said:

I think it would make the game too simple. And it's not just about the backpack vs. body items - you can wear insulation or armor in the head slot too. Juggling items and choosing between them is an important difficulty factor, without it every season will feel like autumn - you just wear armor at all times and change between tam and eyebrella, or occasionally miner's hat/moggles. If you're never vulnerable to anything in a survival game, that's just boring. I know that "uncompromising survival game" has become kind of a meme, but until klei decides to completely remove all survival aspects out of it, it will still be a survival game. Which means the player should not be feeling comfy in it.

on the other hand, the game is 10 years old, we solve the problems before they occur and we're already very comfy

• Like 3

I really like having to manage a backpack + body armor. It adds another layer of inventory management, trying to keep unimportant, not-burnable stuff in your backpack so you’ll be fine if you lose it. Scrambling in combat because I lost my backpack or left something important in it is such a chaotic and fun nightmare. That extra drawback of no backpack makes body armor so much more interesting, I’d hate if this depth was removed and I could constantly have armor/magi equipped with my backpack.

• Like 4

I believe that the best of all worlds would be for Klei to set the game configuration to activate (or not) the extra slot for wearing clothes.

Survival puritans certainly don't use skill trees as this is optional and takes away from the immersion of this challenging world. They also don't play with Wolfgang, as he makes the game in mode very easy and takes away the survival factor.

The problem is not how people play, but how they want to force others to play.

That's why I think the best thing Klei does is give everyone the option to choose how they should play. Your game, your rules.

20 minutes ago, Cruvimaster said:

The problem is not how people play, but how they want to force others to play.

The game, in this regard,  is played in one way that this suggestion would force klei to code a new way of playing with out even taking in count the ammount of secondary changes needed to balance it in some regard

Is like saying that some FIFA players force people to play football instead of basketball lmao

Hilariously, I voted for more slots. However, I usually just use a Backpack and Football Helmet, and switch to a Miner Hat at Night, Cat Cap in Winter, or Top Hat when I'm insane or getting rained on. I have never gotten to Ruins because my Switch lags out of existence, and I started playing DST in November, so I haven't played long (note: I've been playing the Shipwrecked pocket edition since about 2018 or so; I'm not a noob, I've just never had to deal with Winter). 

5 hours ago, Antynomity said:

Yet no one uses them. I'm not talking about duration, I'm talking about slots, just because me and you can deal with less slots doesn't mean the other 50k+ maniacs that play the game daily can.

I don't quite understand the tone of the comment, if it's in favor or against, but I will say that, most probably, a small part of those 50k people use miner hats, fewer use crop farms because they rely on meatballs, and even fewer... have tamed a beefalo. Should we also make those more "accessible"? I don't think so. I think everyone has to review what they need in what moment. You can't have everything at all times, where's the fun in that? It's a survival sandbox, item management should stay an important thing to deal with, not to mention there are ways around like Chester and bundling wraps.

• Like 3

Not what we need.

As others have said - Picking and juggling your inventory is one of the core skills of the game.  We need equip slot scarcity, and the backpack does a good job of this because you can use it + 1 continual effect item like an insulation hat and still swap to body armor during a fight.

Adding a backpack slot makes the game toooooo easy by giving the player everything.

Besides - we have options like this already...  Tame a beef and you basically get armor + weapon for 0 equip lots.  You can even use a piggy pack to gain +4 MORE inventory slots lol

Edited by Yuuko
  • Like 5
  • Big Ups 1

Thank you for everyone keeping things civil so far, I thought it'll burn down forums for how divisive this topic seems via votes and replies. Let's see if we can find common ground here or conclude nothing here.

Also thank you for not talking about my silly typo at last question's last option and voting for it anyway, we can continue pretending knowing what that meant.

I'd much rather lesser used clothing items be given buffs or more interesting niches.

Adding another slot, especially for backpacks, ruins the inventory management for me. I do actually prefer having to think about what all I can carry, it makes my loadout and choices feel more important than it would if I could just... shovel everything into my inventory and not think about what I brought to specific encounters.

• Like 9

11 hours ago, Cruvimaster said:

If I had an extra slot I would use the Hibearnation Vest and Belt of Hunger items.

Today, these are items that Klei could remove from the game because it doesn't make sense to sacrifice the backpack.

As for using armor with a backpack, Klei could allow it with the penalty of a 5% speed reduction.

I think Klei could easily remove backpacks from the game since the extra slots are helpful so rarely compared to the much more useful body slot items like the Magiluminesence, Hibearnation Vest, Thulecite Suit, Rain Coat, Floral Shirt, etc. Backpacks are not something that's universally needed, they're just used as a crutch by new players that don't want to learn inventory management. 

8 hours ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

on the other hand, the game is 10 years old, we solve the problems before they occur and we're already very comfy

If the problems are so non-existent that they don't need to be solved, why are you asking for the game to be updated to solve the problems for you? 

Edited by Cheggf
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Backpacks are not something that's universally needed, they're just used as a crutch by new players that don't want to learn inventory management

clearly going to base more often or always having chester available, even though he can't go through shards without mentioning multiplayer, is a great showcase of skill

4 minutes ago, grm9 said:

clearly going to base more often or always having chester available, even though he can't go through shards without mentioning multiplayer, is a great showcase of skill

image.png.91b9cf076098c5368ccb61dc7f0837e9.png

Boo! Did I scare you? It's an inventory slot that's empty instead of having a full stack of marble for no reason!

• Haha 4
  • Wavey 4

I don't use clothes like Belt of Hunger or Dapper Vest because they aren't very useful. Even if armor, backpacks, and clothes all had their own respective slots, items like these would be a waste of time/resources

16 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Backpacks are not something that's universally needed, they're just used as a crutch by new players that don't want to learn inventory management. 

So ALL Klei ambassadors are inexperienced, starting with the most advanced DST player, that is Glermz.

Do you want to look like an advanced player talking nonsense on the Forum...

47 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

image.png.91b9cf076098c5368ccb61dc7f0837e9.png

Boo! Did I scare you? It's an inventory slot that's empty instead of having a full stack of marble for no reason!

taking everything you want out of ruins or to a FW fight or for crabby hermit's questline or for doing multiple things without visiting base inbetween usually requires a backpack not because idk who is carrying marble despite not going to use it

Edited by grm9

Almost all of the time in the game we all use backpacks. Using a speed necklace (Magiluminescence) in a specific and very rare combat does not change this reality.

The current trend, in fact, is to use the pig backpack as quickly as possible so that we have 12 slots.

Edited by Cruvimaster
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

Also thank you for not talking about my silly typo at last question's last option and voting for it anyway, we can continue pretending knowing what that meant.

Is there a way to change that?

• Ninja 1

51 minutes ago, Cruvimaster said:

Almost all of the time in the game we all use backpacks. Using a speed necklace (Magiluminescence) in a specific and very rare combat does not change this reality.

The current trend, in fact, is to use the pig backpack as quickly as possible so that we have 12 slots.

IF I'm taming a beef I'll take the piggy pack, otherwise I use the magi pretty much all the time.  The speed and light source are way more convenient compared to refueling lanterns, even considering the inventory slots I'm dropping for it.

Move speed is a valuable stat in fights and just generally traveling.  Unless I have a beef, I want the magi.

Edited by Yuuko
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Yuuko said:

IF I'm taming a beef I'll take the piggy pack, otherwise I use the magi pretty much all the time.  The speed and light source are way more convenient compared to refueling lanterns, even considering the inventory slots I'm dropping for it.

Move speed is a valuable stat in fights and just generally traveling.  Unless I have a beef, I want the magi.

As I already said, the best solution would be for Klei to allow this in the world settings.

So, those with a conservative stance would keep it in its current form and those who want an extra slot leave it in the configuration.

No one needs to dictate (be a dictator) anyone's gameplay.

See that Klei's policy has worked in this direction.

The use of the Skill Tree is optional. No one needs to defeat AF or CC to access the new features (configuration).

• Potato Cup 1

2 hours ago, Cruvimaster said:

So ALL Klei ambassadors are inexperienced, starting with the most advanced DST player, that is Glermz.

The few times I've tuned in to Don't Starve streams they've usually been sitting in a huge pile of chests, then when I look back again 20 minutes later they're still in that huge pile of chests. I also don't know where you get the idea that Glermz is the "most advanced DST player" from. 

2 hours ago, Cruvimaster said:

Do you want to look like an advanced player talking nonsense on the Forum...

I think you do. Why are you randomly bringing up YouTubers?

• Like 1

I feel like the concept of juggling is kind of moot when the majority of the time it's not even worth doing that - head armour is generally really good anyway. I think insulation needs buffs anyways, it'd be good if you could go days without needing temperature control if you wore a floral shirt or puffy vest and such.

7 hours ago, Cheggf said:

If the problems are so non-existent that they don't need to be solved, why are you asking for the game to be updated to solve the problems for you? 

To mildly reduce stagnation. I see the choice between different alternatives and the crafting/gathering of them as more interesting than the problems themselves.

Whether lightbugs (to use a less hypothetical example) are awful for not being able to travel between caves and wormholes, revolutionary for taking away the need to go to caves, awful for dying to mobs including cats, or revolutionary for not needing to occupy an equip slot intrigues me; I used lanterns before, moggles, maglum, lived in permanent light biomes like mush forest, problem solved 6 times over, I don't need another solution, but having another does effect what planning I'll do despite darkness itself not really being problematic.

I'm in favour of adding an independent slot for specifically insulation body clothing and nothing else, as it would make underused clothing items significantly more useful, while leaving chest armour, backpacks, and amulets to still share the same slot they always have.

That said though, I would not be against also making winter/summer harsher to compensate for said change. As someone living in Canada, I can safely say carrying an oversized rock in your pocket will not help you when it's -30C outside.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1