Poll: Additional Clothing/armor slot for 2024 QoL

Clothing/Armor slot as new addition to survival and general use  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Should we get a slot for armor/clothing for QoL?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Unsure/indifferent.
  2. 2. Which one would you prefer if you had to choose?

• Clothing slot.
    • Armor slot.
    • One in the same slot.
    • Two slots, one for clothing other for armor in same bar.
    • Unsure/indifferent.
  3. 3. What's your opinion on this topic?

• I like this idea and I would want to go through with it.
    • Seems interesting, but I'm concerned over the balance of this for the game.
    • Seems unbalanced.
    • Seems unnecessary, talking in the sense that I don't want this change.
    • Unsure/indifferent.
  4. 4. Do you use Extra Equip Slots mod?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Only when I join other servers.
  5. 5. If you do want this change: what's the reason behind it?

• For fashion!
    • For comfort!
    • Fashion comfort science and all above!
    • It's long overdue for clothing/armor slot, 10 years to be exact.
    • There's skin choices for already few clothing items, might as well if there will be more then add a slot for it.
    • I don't want this change.

9 hours ago, grm9 said:
8 hours ago, Cheggf said:
8 hours ago, Cruvimaster said:

If there was a point to say that it costs time and inventory space for the reason to make multiple trips to craft more things is part of gameplay I'd agree, but this is also why backpacks exist - carry over those items from most distant locations and bring them over. Bundles were introduced for that reason for space management and food preservation too and they do god's work cause sometimes we gotta craft a billion items of whatever and make one less trip back to that home location.

Example: Sometimes I decide to chop down hundreds of trees or hundreds of rocks as intensive gathering spree. I cannot think about wearing anything else but better and bigger backpacks  because I know my inventory will be clogged at all times. Thank the idea that I always tame a speedy beef to create those trips even less of a pain, but inventory is still always clogged despite that. Having any less space like I've played before with let's say some puffy west of bear suit or even belt of hunger it gave me great annoyance for how many stacks I gather and bring over each time, wasting more time than it's necessary.

Cold/hot? I got a thermal and a star, or burning a tree/shade for heat or cold. Need sanity? Tamoshanter or tophat, mushrooms to cook or foods to cook up. Easy. Wet? Only need one umbrella to make a huge difference. Any of those times I'd wear a suit of clothing? Never lol. It's not appealing cause I'm always working.

Glermz and many other DST creators with high skill and use of all materials effectively purposefully avoid forums cause there's never any compromise and some stigma from forums that makes them too annoyed to try and argue about anything. I guess they're smart enough to put their time into their content over arguing about anything here anyway. But for when I do get into watching them on twitch I see that they also want changes and improvements or better integration of items into gameplay. I can't speak for them but bet there's some who'd enjoy having clothing slot at LEAST for the sake of comfort and kill the crutch for thermals once in for all.

6 hours ago, Cheggf said:

The few times I've tuned in to Don't Starve streams they've usually been sitting in a huge pile of chests, then when I look back again 20 minutes later they're still in that huge pile of chests. I also don't know where you get the idea that Glermz is the "most advanced DST player" from. 

I think you do. Why are you randomly bringing up YouTubers?

Glermz kills many bosses in speedy way while building trashpiles at spawn or other place they plan on starting base from which builds up resources at great mass. You see him sitting in a chest zone because he's likely being busy with chat and planning his next build, kinda like a painter choses colors for his painting.

I usually sit in my chest zone often because I'm trying to pick out what turfs and skins I'd like to use next and it can be a long process in so. Or if I wanna be lazy and wait for one of world events to start for me to fight or do ruins for fun to vary gameplay a little. It's what we call lategame content, mate. We finish everything and we use everything we have in order to make use of it all. At least in a sense you can watch those streamers hang or listen to them like it's a DST-like podcast while they chill build or fight. I guess also a niche thing to engage at, considering your response.

5 hours ago, Masked Koopa said:

I feel like the concept of juggling is kind of moot when the majority of the time it's not even worth doing that - head armour is generally really good anyway. I think insulation needs buffs anyways, it'd be good if you could go days without needing temperature control if you wore a floral shirt or puffy vest and such.

Insulation is mostly fine imo, I just don't wanna have a thermal meta at all times. Cause people here so far really fail to consider how powerful that item is after you break 3 boulders compared to things you gather by hunting or even fighting for as higher risk rewards. Having no clothing slot doesn't help those items to come out of irrelevance. Hell, they could just not allow amulets or armor to be put there and those would be too big to wear and it would be quite fine, but clothing would be nice to have at any times if thermal's and umbrella's reign would be toppled over and if people realize that and how much of a nonsense I see this as of how gatekept clothing items are over adding just one extra slot for them!

16 minutes ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

Glermz kills many bosses in speedy way while building trashpiles at spawn or other place they plan on starting base from which builds up resources at great mass. You see him sitting in a chest zone because he's likely being busy with chat and planning his next build, kinda like a painter choses colors for his painting.

I usually sit in my chest zone often because I'm trying to pick out what turfs and skins I'd like to use next and it can be a long process in so. Or if I wanna be lazy and wait for one of world events to start for me to fight or do ruins for fun to vary gameplay a little. It's what we call lategame content, mate. We finish everything and we use everything we have in order to make use of it all. At least in a sense you can watch those streamers hang or listen to them like it's a DST-like podcast while they chill build or fight. I guess also a niche thing to engage at, considering your response.

You are agreeing with me while phrasing it like you're disagreeing with me. How is Glermz wearing a backpack while not doing anything showing that backpacks are super uber OP and a must have? You even say yourself he's just waiting around talking to chat. The backpack isn't helping him accomplish anything, because he isn't accomplishing anything.

6 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

You are agreeing with me while phrasing it like you're disagreeing with me. How is Glermz wearing a backpack while not doing anything showing that backpacks are super uber OP and a must have? You even say yourself he's just waiting around talking to chat. The backpack isn't helping him accomplish anything, because he isn't accomplishing anything.

Is it bad for me to agree in the sense that is how we just play? At that point of gameplay I'd just want a belt of hunger so I would spent less time at the kitchen remaking all the stew or meatballs, but while I'm thinking or while he's chatting and thinking it wouldn't be bad to keep krampus sack on just to keep track of what you have without being distracted and be less distracted by hunger when planning things out. That is my point. Bearger suit and or belt of hunger are kinda lategame-ish hunger reducing alternatives but backpacks keeps us organized and planned to hold essentials and the things we want for decor or exploration or just resource gathering.

If meatballs are such a big meme in the community for the years for how easy they are to make, what would be so bad to have a clothing slot to reduce the need of them? Any well experienced player knows where to get their steady sources of food from, in that regard it should be sanity and health a priority to keep at all times. Tam'o'shanter is also kind of a meme imo, everyone and your grandma you see using just to keep sanity up and high. Noone wears other clothing for sanity. If they don't need sanity there's mushroom hats for hunger reduction, but they've also got their annoyance, but maybe paired with belt of hunger it would be one of best things to keep around more and toadstool print drops would slightly increase their worth just to avoid being more hungry.

Also argument for sanity as there's now lunacy which we would want LEAST of when we fight in lunacy zones with lunie enemies and making those clothing options less of a useful thing unless wearing a celestial crown while at it. Very scary entities practically eliminates clothing sanity gain, only keeping you in battle more to fighting in some seasons while needing to spam less stars or campfires everywhere to compensate for heat or cold, if helmets were to remain the same as always useful for armor choice then clothing items would be also a decent replacement instead of wearing hats. Most people wear hat armors over suits anyway, unless it's me being one of odd ones out there I guess that almost only uses suit slots for armor lol.

If any of this seems complicated what I said and the options I've so far gathered being solutions to each problem is obvious play or something, then I ask again:

Y no clothe slot? What balance would it break that is not broken already? What if the things we call broken aren't actually broken, but are fairly designed in a flawly designed very old game and so why wouldn't we want change/improvement to the current system?

11 hours ago, grm9 said:

clearly going to base more often or always having chester available, even though he can't go through shards without mentioning multiplayer, is a great showcase of skill

Or atleast of having a thinking process... later you see people carrying 24/7 useless items while complain about inventory management 

1 hour ago, arubaro said:

Or atleast of having a thinking process... later you see people carrying 24/7 useless items while complain about inventory management 

how is that related considering there are still situations in which using a backpack is beneficial regardless of how well you manage your inventory because you might need to bring a lot of stuff to 1 place and returning to base to bring the rest is a bigger waste of time than having to not stack insulation which you don't need during most of the year either way

12 hours ago, Cruvimaster said:

the most advanced DST player, that is Glermz

that's saddening

2 hours ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

meatballs are such a big meme in the community

hopefully you're talking about how outdated the advice to make them is

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, grm9 said:

hopefully you're talking about how outdated the advice to make them is

I mean they are useful and how outdated the advice is, since there's now plenty of food options to choose from they still are fine to be cooked up.

1 hour ago, arubaro said:

Then it's more of a mental aspect to poor inventory management. I rarely have the problem but I still always would want to take more space over anything lol.

I also think that it's noone else's business what anyone carries in their inventories, if we got issues we'll fix them up. If they cannot deal with lack of inventory despite others having it simply enough then perhaps it's their own problem to deal with. If they're very busy people like me - then people should perhaps acknowledge why backpacks are crucial to our gameplay.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

I mean they are useful

mostly a waste of time since you don't need ice for anything else so if you don't use it for cooking you can not mine it during winter and if you're using anything other than ice you'll get only like 10 less hunger points at worst and probably better spoilage time and no need to go to base and cook if you eat the ingredients raw

Edited by grm9

The reason I don’t use chest slot clothing is because you can’t wear backpacks on your head. You’re actively gimping yourself of 6-14 inventory slots when exploring the world without a backpack when you’re out of combat, and you gain nothing from NOT wearing a backpack that you’d otherwise gain from a hat. You can just take your backpack off if you need to, like if you shoved a magiluminescence in there or something- it doesn’t work with chest clothing because you NEVER have that extra inventory. 
I dislike the concept of giving another free slot for clothing because then it just removes any thought regarding insulation in any conceivable way. At least I need to choose between my beefalo hat and football helmet, and I then feel the obligation to make a few log armors to avoid worrying about the cold if I get a hound wave during winter. 
I do definitely think that other chest slot items need some changes to be competitive with backpacks in the overworld, though. The hibearnation vest especially has promise, since it’s essentially designed to be the answer to winter that the eyebrella is to spring- but it’s unfortunately not really that useful because of backpacks’ existence. I’m not going to give up my big juicy 14-slot inventory to get convenient bonuses elsewhere that I could otherwise have with a starcaller’s staff. There was one suggestion of giving chest armors inventory slots a la the vortex cloak in Hamlet, which I think is probably the best way to deal with the discrepancy. Maybe make the hibearnation vest 6 slots as well so it’s a direct upgrade to the backpack in winter but less valuable in summer, while also not outshining chest slots dedicated to storage like the piggyback and krampus sack? Maybe give it 8 slots but a speed penalty so it’s competing with the PB with somewhat-close inventory size but slightly less and with warmth to boot. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, grm9 said:

mostly a waste of time since you don't need ice for anything else so if you don't use it for cooking you can not mine it during winter and if you're using anything other than ice you'll get only like 10 less hunger points at worst and probably better spoilage time and no need to go to base and cook

You use ice???

Just now, Frosty_Mentos said:

You use ice???

2 minutes ago, grm9 said:

if you're using anything other than ice you'll get only like 10 less hunger points at worst and probably better spoilage time and no need to go to base and cook if you eat the ingredients raw

i don't, i simply don't cook meatballs

1 minute ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

I cook meatballs with monster meat and endless amounts of stone fruit

18.75 (cooked monster meat) + (12.5 (stone fruits) * 3 (amount of filler slots)) = 56.25 hunger, 6.25 less in comparison to meatballs, but 3 more hp, 15 days spoilage time instead of 10 and no need to go cook

4 minutes ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

we should get back to the topic

idk what else to say

53 minutes ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

I also think that it's noone else's business what anyone carries in their inventories, if we got issues we'll fix them up. If they cannot deal with lack of inventory despite others having it simply enough then perhaps it's their own problem to deal with. If they're very busy people like me - then people should perhaps acknowledge why backpacks are crucial to our gameplay.

That is like saying "its noon else's business how people fight treeguards" but there are people taking them with grass suit asking for nerfs (not saying that precisely you have a poor inventory management). Some people carry gold, flint, tools and other rubbish 24/7 and this suggestion is to drastically change the take mechanics and balance to have access to more slots while ignoring weather hazzards or fighting so how people play matters 

Also, obviously,  if you are building or gathering a lot of resources or wanna do a fight you require a lot of different items, you will benefit from having a backpack like, if you are exploring you will benefit from having a magi or how beneficial is to have a item that reduces hunger if you make a long trip in a boat without much food

And now that i mentioned boats, they made clothing less situational because you can simply drop your stuff or even your backpack and enjoy the benefits of them

1 hour ago, grm9 said:

how is that related considering there are still situations in which using a backpack is beneficial regardless of how well you manage your inventory because you might need to bring a lot of stuff to 1 place and returning to base to bring the rest is a bigger waste of time than having to not stack insulation which you don't need during most of the year either way

I was already considering that. But neither you expend 24/7 needing 30 slots unless you are building and ignoring everything else

59 minutes ago, arubaro said:

That is like saying "its noon else's business how people fight treeguards" but there are people taking them with grass suit asking for nerfs (not saying that precisely you have a poor inventory management). Some people carry gold, flint, tools and other rubbish 24/7 and this suggestion is to drastically change the take mechanics and balance to have access to more slots while ignoring weather hazzards or fighting so how people play matters 

Also, obviously,  if you are building or gathering a lot of resources or wanna do a fight you require a lot of different items, you will benefit from having a backpack like, if you are exploring you will benefit from having a magi or how beneficial is to have a item that reduces hunger if you make a long trip in a boat without much food

And now that i mentioned boats, they made clothing less situational because you can simply drop your stuff or even your backpack and enjoy the benefits of them

I was already considering that. But neither you expend 24/7 needing 30 slots unless you are building and ignoring everything else

Magi is a bad option imo unless in combat, I choose a rider beefalo because he'll get us anywhere we want. I can travel and bring more items if it were without a beefalo and a backpack/piggysack/krampus sack. If we were to have a benefit of clothing item while we wear a backpack it would eliminate overthinking clothing needing "backpack slots", thermalstone would be less of a lame solution we have to resort to and clothing would have actual relevance to the game.

In my lifetime playing this game I have NEVER needed to resort to using clothing unless when I was newer in the game. For a game with this many items and ever growing need of inventory to bring and shift those items from one place to another I see clothing right now as nothing but a failed longterm experiment that solves us nothing because we cannot intergrate them anywhere in our survival/chill time lives.

I want to throw everyone's concerns right now through the window about balance issues due to that thermalstone, umbrella and tam'o'shanter are the only things that anyone would ever need and people fail it hard to realize for what a shallow solution we settled with for this long to not consider extending to have a clothing slot for the sake having them use and reducing cheapest alternatives we got as best solutions forever and ever more.

As you see there is some anger to this right now because right now it angers me for that people rather keep the simple cheap solutions and call out one slot to add us generally expensive clothing as solution to comfort and survival options. It doesn't replace us the need for needing fires or cold fires, doesn't eliminate the threat of us getting injured as we still gotta keep clothing upkept and watched over and instead of us getting that extra day with a hot or cold thermalstone we could instead wear clothing insulating us from heat or cold for much of the same or a little longer without needing a new fire or star.

This is why I call this whole thing as a Quality of Life change because it's a long overdue change for a vast variety of clothing we never care to explore and use. Like old farms it's been neglected for a long time and I say a simple solution of adding a clothing slot to wear with a backpack is a very good change we could use. 

For a game that people constantly complain about "balance" seems people still play this game a lot despite that Klei been introducing many changes so far into the sandbox experience to have broken the old standard experience and made a whole different game. This is not singleplayer anymore, this is a sequel that should address by now most of old issues the older game had instead of keeping the painful and poorly designed things and have us progress through it all as the game had evolved to the state that we now have story lines and quests, skill trees and reworked tools.

I'll die on this hill to say that I don't want to remain a thermalstone and hat baby anymore and I want my GOD DAMN PREMIUM FURS IF I HAD TO KILL 5 BEARGERS TO DO SO!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

Magi is a bad option imo unless in combat, I choose a rider beefalo because he'll get us anywhere we want.

I said exploration, not traveling after the map is revealed and you had the time to fully tame a beef... and was just an example to show you the variety we have with upsides and downsides but you seem to only want upsides

Im not agaisnt buffing body clothing but i hate the idea of adding a backpack slot so lazy people can have armor 24/7 in a game where you only get serious damage if you go without armor or permanent insulation without balancing temperatures so seasons dont became a joke. I think people that support this kind of ideas didnt think much about all the changes needed to balance this

12 minutes ago, arubaro said:

I said exploration, not traveling after the map is revealed and you had the time to fully tame a beef... and was just an example to show you the variety we have with upsides and downsides but you seem to only want upsides

Im not agaisnt buffing body clothing but i hate the idea of adding a backpack slot so lazy people can have armor 24/7 in a game where you only get serious damage if you go without armor or permanent insulation without balancing temperatures so seasons dont became a joke. I think people that support this kind of ideas didnt think much about all the changes needed to balance this

It's not lazy to go to ruins and or kill bearger, there's a need for skill for that stuff. Killing koalephant needs some bit of kiting to get to kill it for the mid tier insulation. 

Boss items making it better to survive but we also don't need it because backpacks?? If we are this comfortable and this good at the game as I'll take assumption that you've got at least thousand or several of them in game then I ask again - what aspect of the game it would break to which I have not stated to have already solutions?

Needing to do clicking off and on backpacks isn't a skill needed issue, you can keep all necessary items in your main inventory and survive well. If you don't then that's probably a bigger skill issue than anything.

Seasons always been a joke with thermals, umbrellas and tamoshanter. You don't prove a point here telling me that they aren't because I never struggled when I have those items. And it's only three items for all seasons. Nothing game breaking for extra benefits from walking a little longer in winter or summer, or even in caves. 

18 minutes ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

It's not lazy to go to ruins and or kill bearger, there's a need for skill for that stuff

A need that is already balanced with the reward

If for lazy people to want everything at the cost of nothing 

18 minutes ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

Killing koalephant needs some bit of kiting to get to kill it for the mid tier insulation. 

Something a player with 10h of play time can do without dying... also that mid tier insulation can stack with the head slot item...

20 minutes ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

Boss items making it better to survive but we also don't need it because backpacks??

We dont need them because there are alternatives.  You want to have a pnly a solution:backpack+clothing instead of choosing between the multiple items you can put in your multiple character slots

21 minutes ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

what aspect of the game it would break to which I have not stated to have already solutions?

Simple stuff as using winter hat+dapper vest+backpack which is a huge nerf for winter without considering better combos like tam/beefalo hat+krampus sack+bearger coat=huge sanity reg, a lot of inventory slots,  hunger drain reduced and winter being autumn 2.0

Not only that but things like umbrella and eyebrella wont make sense anymore when you can free your hand and head slot from wetness protection because you are using the body slot with rain coat

Exploring stuff like the ruins, labyrinth or the atrium would be a cake walk with your entire inventory avaraible and always protected with atleast 80% armor plus head slot light

26 minutes ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

You don't prove a point here telling me that they aren't because I never struggled when I have those items

But here you are wanting them even nerfed. At this point just ask to remove them because you have born knowing how to beat the seasons since you installed the game(?)

You wont convince me about your suggestion being necessary or even good. 2 body slots makes no sense and isnt even something creative or fun when they can improve in many ways body slot clothing and inventory management with buffs or items like the bearger bin and the worst part is wanting to change how body armor works because of body clothing 

I have shared my opinion and wont change it because i always liked how equiping works since DS and even tried at the beguinning of playing the game the cringe extra slots mod for few minutes to realize how dumb is to add such thing

15 minutes ago, arubaro said:

A need that is already balanced with the reward

If for lazy people to want everything at the cost of nothing 

Something a player with 10h of play time can do without dying... also that mid tier insulation can stack with the head slot item...

You sound like you've got very little experience with public and general time spent in the game to say that to me with a serious face cause there is some decent skill involved in all aspects to this and we're not being much rewarded for it in the end with cheap alternatives.And players with 10 hours don't even know how to cook a meatball let alone pierogi often.

18 minutes ago, arubaro said:

We dont need them because there are alternatives.  You want to have a pnly a solution:backpack+clothing instead of choosing between the multiple items you can put in your multiple character slots

Simple stuff as using winter hat+dapper vest+backpack which is a huge nerf for winter without considering better combos like tam/beefalo hat+krampus sack+bearger coat=huge sanity reg, a lot of inventory slots,  hunger drain reduced and winter being autumn 2.0

Not only that but things like umbrella and eyebrella wont make sense anymore when you can free your hand and head slot from wetness protection because you are using the body slot with rain coat

THAT IS THE DAMN POINT WHY I WANT THIS SLOT! I want a slot I could add the extra insulation and other stats because I feel like I should feel rewarded for killing those bosses or going down into depths as a show of some medium or higher level of skill that other players would have to accomplish this - and I'm beyond majority of player's here in experience in skill for this game in most aspects to tell you this!

YOU again ignoring what I said about thermalstones and heat already making winter summer a joke on it's own, you keep ignoring this and I am very unhappy seeing that you don't acknowledge this because what's the DAMN DIFFERENCE between having a slot you can use for instead of wearing umbrella, eyebrella and what not? Being drizzled by a little rain is that much of a big difference to not being a little drizzled? If you're gonna use umbrella it would take you to have armor slot or some clothing, you can always switch to helmets or crowns for protection. I fought with a football helmet, crown and raincoat and it was fine enough to deal with enemies, not having a backpack is a minor inconvenience I just don't want to always have?

27 minutes ago, arubaro said:

But here you are wanting them even nerfed. At this point just ask to remove them because you have born knowing how to beat the seasons since you installed the game(?)

You wont convince me about your suggestion being necessary or even good. 2 body slots makes no sense and isnt even something creative or fun when they can improve in many ways body slot clothing and inventory management with buffs or items like the bearger bin and the worst part is wanting to change how body armor works because of body clothing 

I have shared my opinion and wont change it because i always liked how equiping works since DS and even tried at the beguinning of playing the game the cringe extra slots mod for few minutes to realize how dumb is to add such thing

I don't want them nerfed?? Most other may want them nerfed I just want those items feel less relevant when you got a clothing slot and many other clothing options overall. I want nothing nerfed here I just wanna wear my backpack in peace cause I don't want to deal with unequipping at all times all the time. Everyone here already discussed about item juggling and it not being an exciting to deal with. Backpacks should feel like supplementary thing you upgrade yourself with for inventory space than eating up a slot and not being able to wear a bear suit in comfort. 

Fine though. I don't believe I'll ever change your mind, but I'll tell this - every character update and skill tree been coming out more busted than another. Basic starting skills of many characters been powercreeping this high and we've dealt with it so far fine?  Food buffs, general renewability and I'm here idk why I'm trying to convince you that this small thing of a change to add us a clothing slot would fundamentally break a sandbox game, and I repeat sandbox game in a sense that it hasn't been broken from when Klei decided to buff and change everything in a row from world to characters, food production - everything and we're here arguing about some skill that apparently body slot clothing somehow would make any fundamental change to us veteran players besides supplementing us a little and helping many other different skilled players in a sense that less juggling might even help the damn game to be less cluttery with swaps and that kinda crap???

I'm done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

Its not our business to tell you what you need to do when you are playing, but if you come in and ask for changes that will be part of the discussion.  If I say "dfly is so hard and fighting it is taking so long this should be nerfed" but I am using spears, it is okay for someone to say "use a stronger weapon."  You are saying you want to use these other clothing items but can't put down your backpack because you like the extra space a lot...  Well its okay if you like the extra space but that is the CHOICE you make.

For example - you say

In my lifetime playing this game I have NEVER needed to resort to using clothing unless when I was newer in the game.

And I think this is key - you never NEEDED to resort to using clothing items.  Is this your main complaint?  That the game didn't literally force you to use these?  They are options, and for where they are useful they have merit.  It is a choice a player can make.  Do you want to wear a backpack?  Or have the comfort of both armor and temperature control at the same time?

There seems to be a presumption that thermal stones trump all insulation gear and tbh this gives me flashbacks of ppl saying meatballs are OP lol.  Thermal stones have an insulation value of 120, which is mid tier.  A thermal is going to require you to stop and heat / chill the stone more often.  Not to say there aren't some really nice things with thermals such as cycling them with ice-chester, or how you can pick one up and instantly have that temp with you rather than waiting to gain that temp, but having 240+ insulation is noticeable in how long you can stay away from a heat source.

Its a player choice which they'd prefer, and in these threads we've seen players choose both ways so I don't see the problem.

I feel like a good part of this is you taking your experience, and your perception and imposing that on everyone else as if there is 1 single correct way to play, and all other play styles are wrong.  You suppose that using the backpack is "correct" because inventory is good, and playing without it is bad even if there are other benefits.  Just like you say this:

Magi is a bad option imo unless in combat, I choose a rider beefalo because he'll get us anywhere we want. I can travel and bring more items if it were without a beefalo and a backpack/piggysack/krampus sack.

Magi is great outside of combat - I use it all the time.  A rider beef is faster, but is a much higher commit.  In my world I'm playing currently I started with a beef and certainly, with a rider beef I only used the magi during combat and had a piggy pack a lot of the time BUT in spring when my rider beef died I dropped that piggy pack in base and used the magi all the time as I traveled for the speed boost.  End of summer I had a stretch where I felt I could tame a beef again, but it went into heat at a bad moment, got caught in a fight and died.  I'm in second spring now, once that ends I'll try for a 3rd lol...  So while I've also had a rider, for the majority of this play through the magi has been invaluable as a speed boost and light source.

The options and situations are there.  DST is a game like that - when you're in control, with excess of time and resources, you can usually do what you want and everything is easy.  BUT when you're rushing through things, and bad things stack up, you have to adapt your play (or quit?)

As you see there is some anger to this right now

Chill.  You don't have to reply to every single person, and you won't change every mind.  Especially since the problem you are having is not a universal problem - meaning it is more likely a player preference issue than a game issue.  If you really want to use these clothing, then I suggest using them.  Drop the back pack and try them out.  If you cannot bring yourself to drop your backpack, then accept you are choosing that too.

• Like 3

"How is being able to ignore seasonal effects for half an hour of gameplay, not worth it?" Oh, I dunno...the fact that you now have WAY LESS INVENTORY SLOTS, when they're already limited to begin with? And in a practical sense: Perhaps these "50,000 other maniacs who play the game" would like to be able to GET the loot that drops, after a fight? Picture this: You're going along in the winter with your hibearnation vest on, happy as you please, when you come across a big spider nest. "Oh yeah", you remember to yourself. "I needed to get more silk for crafting, didn't I? Monster meat would help too."

So you throw off the hibearnation vest to put on your armor and...partway through the fight, _you start freezing_. You have a thermal stone, but it went cold/broke. Can you make a quick campfire without getting OW! attacked by STOP THAT! spiders? Phew, finally made it all the way through the fire animation, but you took some hits. (Okay, you could make a fire ahead of time--but not everybody always thinks of that.) Finally, all the spiders are dead, but...

Oh wait, I can't actually CARRY the loot I just got without sacrificing something else, because...I had to leave my backpack at home, completely. There are three things I need for this one slot, at different times, but I can only carry a maximum of two with me. And, um...I'm not sure which of these things I'd be willing to drop, just now...this is kinda far away from camp...can I even find this place again...?

Dammit...wood? Grass? Twigs? Flint? Nah, I need all those for everyday things...food? But...I don't wanna eat just ice and monster meat! I guess I could drop the pile of pinecones, but I wanted to make a little forest by my base...Chester? Here boy! Can you carry this stack of rot for me, I want to use it as fertilizer to fix up those berry bushes I replanted and...oh wait, I haven't found Chester yet, this playthrough. Oops. I was thinking about my last game.

You don't have to be a "maniac" to realise that having three things that can go in only ONE slot, and being in a game with limited inventory slots (I've never used the More Inventory Slots mod and don't want to)...

...is the reason most people use HATS for weather mitigation instead. Hats use. A DIFFERENT. Slot.

Heck, I myself often put on a football helmet before going into the swamp, so I can collect stuff from it _with my backpack_ without getting insta-gibbed by an unnoticed tentacle... (Winter? Well, usually I keep my winter hat on and switch from backpack to body armor. (And make sure my thermal stone is in my MAIN inventory, so I don't drop it when I drop the pack.) Combat damage is one thing, but cold damage, once it kicks in, REALLY escalates quickly. You gotta balance it.)

...Notorious

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sanity 1

1 hour ago, Yuuko said:

Its not our business to tell you what you need to do when you are playing, but if you come in and ask for changes that will be part of the discussion.  If I say "dfly is so hard and fighting it is taking so long this should be nerfed" but I am using spears, it is okay for someone to say "use a stronger weapon."  You are saying you want to use these other clothing items but can't put down your backpack because you like the extra space a lot...  Well its okay if you like the extra space but that is the CHOICE you make.

For example - you say

And I think this is key - you never NEEDED to resort to using clothing items.  Is this your main complaint?  That the game didn't literally force you to use these?  They are options, and for where they are useful they have merit.  It is a choice a player can make.  Do you want to wear a backpack?  Or have the comfort of both armor and temperature control at the same time?

There seems to be a presumption that thermal stones trump all insulation gear and tbh this gives me flashbacks of ppl saying meatballs are OP lol.  Thermal stones have an insulation value of 120, which is mid tier.  A thermal is going to require you to stop and heat / chill the stone more often.  Not to say there aren't some really nice things with thermals such as cycling them with ice-chester, or how you can pick one up and instantly have that temp with you rather than waiting to gain that temp, but having 240+ insulation is noticeable in how long you can stay away from a heat source.

Its a player choice which they'd prefer, and in these threads we've seen players choose both ways so I don't see the problem.

I feel like a good part of this is you taking your experience, and your perception and imposing that on everyone else as if there is 1 single correct way to play, and all other play styles are wrong.  You suppose that using the backpack is "correct" because inventory is good, and playing without it is bad even if there are other benefits.  Just like you say this:

Magi is great outside of combat - I use it all the time.  A rider beef is faster, but is a much higher commit.  In my world I'm playing currently I started with a beef and certainly, with a rider beef I only used the magi during combat and had a piggy pack a lot of the time BUT in spring when my rider beef died I dropped that piggy pack in base and used the magi all the time as I traveled for the speed boost.  End of summer I had a stretch where I felt I could tame a beef again, but it went into heat at a bad moment, got caught in a fight and died.  I'm in second spring now, once that ends I'll try for a 3rd lol...  So while I've also had a rider, for the majority of this play through the magi has been invaluable as a speed boost and light source.

The options and situations are there.  DST is a game like that - when you're in control, with excess of time and resources, you can usually do what you want and everything is easy.  BUT when you're rushing through things, and bad things stack up, you have to adapt your play (or quit?)

Chill.  You don't have to reply to every single person, and you won't change every mind.  Especially since the problem you are having is not a universal problem - meaning it is more likely a player preference issue than a game issue.  If you really want to use these clothing, then I suggest using them.  Drop the back pack and try them out.  If you cannot bring yourself to drop your backpack, then accept you are choosing that too.

Couldn't have said it any better.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

So you throw off the hibearnation vest to put on your armor and...partway through the fight, _you start freezing_. You have a thermal stone, but it went cold/broke. Can you make a quick campfire without getting OW! attacked by STOP THAT! spiders? Phew, finally made it all the way through the fire animation, but you took some hits. (Okay, you could make a fire ahead of time--but not everybody always thinks of that.) Finally, all the spiders are dead, but...

The answer here is to have a starcaller staff.  When you want to swap out your insulation gear you cast a dwarf star, swap to armor, do your fighting, then swap back and keep going.

Leaving the backpack behind does require adapting your play.  You need to identify what resources and tools you actually need with you, and how much free space you need for pickups.  There might be new tools you need to utilize to be more space efficient or have better synergy with the gear you're using.  You also need directed play - Don't stop and farm spiders just because you walked passed spiders when you're actually going to fight Walrus.  Don't pick up a tall bird egg on the way in unless you know you have the space for that and the tam you want.  Maybe you can leave the hounds teeth here, you already have 2 stacks at base...

Dropping the backpack isn't for everyone.  I don't think people need to do it.  Its just seeing people say they want to use xyz but feel I can't b/c backpack...  I gotta challenge that.  If they don't see the value, adding pockets won't add that value.  Its likely the way they play is just adapted to having a backpack and not having insulation because that's how they've always played.  If they want to use it, they should try it.  See what adaptations they can make and what advantages they find.  It might be something niche useful like getting warmth + wetness protection for a dive into a winter ruins, or it might become something more like using a Magi as a full time light source.

Edited by Yuuko
  • Like 1

On 2/13/2024 at 6:18 PM, GenomeSquirrel said:

on the other hand, the game is 10 years old, we solve the problems before they occur and we're already very comfy

I still hope they rework the mainland biomes and general gameplay loop... One day...

• Big Ups 1
  • Sad Dupe 1

1 hour ago, Yuuko said:

Dropping the backpack isn't for everyone.  I don't think people need to do it.  Its just seeing people say they want to use xyz but feel I can't b/c backpack...  I gotta challenge that.  If they don't see the value, adding pockets won't add that value.  Its likely the way they play is just adapted to having a backpack and not having insulation because that's how they've always played. 

EXACTLY!! I wish more people here would understand this. These items don't need buffs or changes, and even if they did, most people here wouldn't bother with them as a lot of them in this thread find more value in extra inventory space over seasonal protection. Every time I see a thread that suggests something like this, I just roll my eyes. If you want to use these items, just use them. If you don't enjoy managing your inventory or just don't find their perks appealing, then don't use them. The items aren't the problem, it's the player's perception.

• Potato Cup 1