Poll: Additional Clothing/armor slot for 2024 QoL

Clothing/Armor slot as new addition to survival and general use  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Should we get a slot for armor/clothing for QoL?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Unsure/indifferent.
  2. 2. Which one would you prefer if you had to choose?

• Clothing slot.
    • Armor slot.
    • One in the same slot.
    • Two slots, one for clothing other for armor in same bar.
    • Unsure/indifferent.
  3. 3. What's your opinion on this topic?

• I like this idea and I would want to go through with it.
    • Seems interesting, but I'm concerned over the balance of this for the game.
    • Seems unbalanced.
    • Seems unnecessary, talking in the sense that I don't want this change.
    • Unsure/indifferent.
  4. 4. Do you use Extra Equip Slots mod?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Only when I join other servers.
  5. 5. If you do want this change: what's the reason behind it?

• For fashion!
    • For comfort!
    • Fashion comfort science and all above!
    • It's long overdue for clothing/armor slot, 10 years to be exact.
    • There's skin choices for already few clothing items, might as well if there will be more then add a slot for it.
    • I don't want this change.

Generally putting this out here cause of my curiosity what's the politics around the clothing slot right now. Klei made those two arts in 2023 for Wilson wearing armor and a backpack and it really brought a big discourse over the whole thing. I think having an armor/clothing slot addition would add a nice new layer to the game in making new/old players feel comfy in survival during seasons more if not also improving some gameplay aspects. 

Though I'll also put it out as we'd need some clothing item rebalance changes for insulation and rain protection perhaps for one or two items, or we don't and we can just have everything as is with a new equip slot. Everyone's I've seen is discourage in using many of the clothing slot items and very few people that enjoy that niche aspect of the game and think backpacks are overrated.

As personal opinion backpacks are crucial due to the insanely growing bigger arsenal and items we carry for just keeping ourselves well, but it would also be nice to wear some puffy west or something for sanity and seasonal protection. I don't think this slot should be an unlockable, but I think it should be available to all and encourage everyone at using more clothes. 

If it all degrades at the paces they do, it would only result in us needing more repair kits and tape to mend it all, which isn't all bad of a price to pay for comfort imo. I'd enjoy always wearing a bearger vest, summer frest or even belt of hunger, but I can't enjoy wearing them when I got endless amounts of construction materials I need to shift from one place to another at all times.

For casual player this would be a big QoL as well as those who are more leaning towards base building and watching over people's bases. We need backpacks because there's not enough inventory and we need clothing to stay comfy in our bases.

The last idea for this "balance" situation I suggest is that we should NOT wear clothing in combat without expecting it to degrade faster. Getting hit by sharp spikes should really create some tears or by claws, other things... teeth. Keep them tidy, watch over clothing. Stored it away when it's not fit for certain places in the game or face the loss of it.

image.png.531d306e056c39897cb77db30ab37947.pngimage.png.c741bd20625e8a62b935d2f6f5d7089f.png

Edited by Frosty_Mentos
  • Like 3

While it's not a additional slot I would love if there was a way to hide worn Head/Torso armor and protection clothing.

Purely for fashion purposes.

So i can both enjoy my fancy character skins and still benefit from worn armor/protection clothing without them blocking my beautiful skins.

It would be Toggleable at the Character self inspect screen or something like that.

(And for those who play PVP ..yes all 3 of you - This option could be disabled -armor always shown- when PVP is enabled)

Edited by ALCRD
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Big Ups 1

4 minutes ago, arubaro said:

Instead theh could add inventory slots to cloths... i dont get why people want backpack+clothing/armor other than making the game simpler 

Wearing both would simplify things for not needing to juggle stuff, only complicates things technically via stats they give imo.

The backpack and armor using the same slot is just an annoyance, which does not create an engaging mechanical interaction for the player other than having to endure the annoyance to drop the bag before every fight and remembering to retrieve it after.

i wouldnt complain if there were other meaningful mechanics that could interact with a player not carrying a bag or leaving their bag behind other than fear of having your bag burn from X or Y, but sadly, there isnt.

3 minutes ago, arubaro said:

Instead theh could add inventory slots to cloths... i dont get why people want backpack+clothing/armor other than making the game simpler 

Because its redundant. its like having every item that you pick from the ground go to your hands slot (by hands i mean the cursor, not the weapon slot) instead of going directly into your inventory. its just extra clicks that doesnt add much to the game experience other than some frustrations for people who are not used to it.

• Like 2

Or alternatively, just a backpack slot. Most people don't use clothing items because that would sacrifice the extremely handy extra inventory slots. At least body armour can still be used, you just have to pick your backpack up again after the fight.
As for the balance, eh, there's not much skill in equiping body armour and then having to pick up your backpack after the fight. The most it would do is make people actually use clothing and I feel like that would just allow for a bit more variety than just having your headslot always be the main thing for combat, rain, cold, etc.

Edited by Kevinnator
typo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I'm not against the whole idea, But I think making this a post AFW/CC thing would make it much more impcatfull to gameplay imo.

Giving Players a second body slot after you enter the endgame would not only make it so you have to focus less on the old gameplay stuff and more on the post rift stuff, It would also give huge amounts of customization for players and also more freedom for Klei.

Edited by mkemal23
  • Like 10

I object to this idea. I use to use the Extra Slots mod but I pushed myself to play without it. Now it is really enjoyable. The hassle of juggling a backpack isn't bad at all now that I am use to it. Frankly I think this is an unnecessary addition that serves significantly more than QoL as it is drastically game changing rather than a minor tweak.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Kevinnator said:

As for the balance, eh, there's not much skill in equiping body armour and then having to pick up your backpack after the fight.

A permanent 20% movement speed increase and no-slot light source is an enormous change, this is not something that wouldn't affect the balance. If it really does have no affect on the balance, why even add it? It isn't doing anything, apparently. If it's so easy to pick up the backpack after the fight, just do that.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

Wearing both would simplify things for not needing to juggle stuff, only complicates things technically via stats they give imo.

14 minutes ago, Golden Daemon said:

The backpack and armor using the same slot is just an annoyance, which does not create an engaging mechanical interaction for the player other than having to endure the annoyance to drop the bag before every fight and remembering to retrieve it after.

i wouldnt complain if there were other meaningful mechanics that could interact with a player not carrying a bag or leaving their bag behind other than fear of having your bag burn from X or Y, but sadly, there isnt.

Because its redundant. its like having every item that you pick from the ground go to your hands slot (by hands i mean the cursor, not the weapon slot) instead of going directly into your inventory. its just extra clicks that doesnt add much to the game experience other than some frustrations for people who are not used to it.

It adds a layer of management instead of the brain dead concept of "i go with backpack and armor while having access to 2728264 items during the fight".

The current system is funnier because you need to take the essential and if you need more you need to time how and when to pick them from the backpack

The same way bearger bin falling in the ground makes it a good downside during fights

Also, if you want to have backpack during summer and winter you use heat slot clothing or a thermal stone, otherwise the seasons would be ridiculously nerfed. If you ever use body+head slot clothing you will see how good they are

The game daily survival is getting nerfed already, no need for more simplicitity for the sake of it

14 minutes ago, mkemal23 said:

I'm not against the whole idea, But I think making this a post AFW/CC thing would make it much more impcatfull to gameplay imo.

Giving Players a second body slot after you enter the endgame would not only make it so you would have to focus less on the old gameplay stuff and more on the post rift stuff, It would also give huge amounts of customization for players and also more freedom for Klei.

People that ask for this are usually people that wont reach to that point. Imagine krampus sack+bone armor? No need and less when you can exploit shadow bosses and FW as easy as being afk

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Antynomity said:

We don't need more slots, we need the clothing items to be more worth it.

How is completely ignoring seasonal mechanics for half an hour not worth it? The thing that's not worth it is thermal stones, you are glued to heat sources and spend so much time constantly reheating them since they only last a couple of minutes. Basically only good for boss fights, or if Snow Chester is following you. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

The thing that's not worth it is thermal stones, you are glued to heat sources and spend so much time constantly reheating them since they only last a couple of minutes

didn't we already have this conversation about 240 insulation being only 1 more minute or so and not being able to do anything while waiting to get heated up unlike gathering stuff after leaving the thermal stone nearby a tree, you can use both slots for clothing but then you won't have CC crown and you'll need to actually visit base for taking stuff more often than 1-2 times per season

Edited by grm9
  • Like 5

If I had an extra slot I would use the Hibearnation Vest and Belt of Hunger items.

Today, these are items that Klei could remove from the game because it doesn't make sense to sacrifice the backpack.

As for using armor with a backpack, Klei could allow it with the penalty of a 5% speed reduction.

• Like 4

I think people fail to acknowledge how powerful are head slot items too. The three items you need for all seasons is a thermal stone, umbrella, a helmet or any hat and that's it. 

Two seasons deerclops eyebrella or umbrella alone does most of the job. Thermal ignores two season effects. Caves ignore summer completely. But in all consideration - clothing items are least used for these reasons.

This feels silly that we have a big assortment of clothing items and we don't use them for much. Some could be dropped as prints from creatures or something your character learns along the way, either changing recipe and befitting as superior option than just using big hats and funny heat stones for keeping you comfortable.

Thermalstone itself imo is unbalance for this reason, that's why majority of players you see always prioritize and rush it because no other option is appealing.

As for this current suggestion we need clothing items to feel like more superior choices over thermalstone without having a drawback of losing item slots.

• Like 1

Makes the game too easy and simplistic, even if it is kind of illogical.

For this to be implemented, they would have to have many things reworked. 

4 minutes ago, Cruvimaster said:

If I had an extra slot I would use the Hibearnation Vest and Belt of Hunger items.

Today, these are items that Klei could remove from the game because it doesn't make sense to sacrifice the backpack.

As for using armor with a backpack, Klei could allow it with the penalty of a 5% speed reduction.

I feel like there should be a way to permantly increase inventory slots outside of a backpack. Maybe a special fruit you can eat.

7 minutes ago, zhangsheng said:

My evaluation is that instead of adding a slot, it's better to strengthen the body armor and clothing.

Armor is really strong in DS/T imo. There's a huge variety to use and swap between now for certain cases. Only issue I see is clothing insulation and stats that make this current topic very awkward to brainstorm about imo.

Honestly, the game became too easy when Klei brought low-cost, repairable weapons and armor. Brightshade items etc.

However, I think Klei did a very good job.

That's why a QOL that gives some use to items that have a good concept makes sense to me.

I don't need items to manage winter or summer, but it would be an added quality of life to have them. I also don't have any problem managing hunger, but how great would it make the Belt of Hunger item.

These are things that are in the game and no one uses them, except those who use mods.

Edited by Cruvimaster
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, arubaro said:

It adds a layer of management instead of the brain dead concept of "i go with backpack and armor while having access to 2728264 items during the fight".

it seems like you missed the point on what i was trying to convey. sharing the backpack and armor slot does not remove access from those items in the fight. it only changes where you have to click (which for me personally is on the ground somewhere near the boss if im fighting a boss).
This only saves time by removing the need for going back to retrieve the backpack after the fight.

The current system is funnier because you need to take the essential and if you need more you need to time how and when to pick them from the backpack

"funnier" seems like a weird way to describe it, but ive already explained the problem.

Also, if you want to have backpack during summer and winter you use heat slot clothing or a thermal stone, otherwise the seasons would be ridiculously nerfed. If you ever use body+head slot clothing you will see how good they are

The thing is that thermal stones are already doing the trick., and they dont stack with insulation clothes. even if this happens, people will still go for the stones over the clothes.
But to be fair , i actually agree on the fact that backpacks should share their slot with clothings.

The game daily survival is getting nerfed already, no need for more simplicitity for the sake of it

The exact opposite is what im trying to prevent. complexity for the complexity's sake.
Dont starve needs better and more engaging survival mechanics (such as having actual variations to the world gen resources and biomes per world), not just harder mechanics due to their unwieldiness.
if people are dying during survival, they should die because they didn't plan their actions ahead, not because their hands weren't fast enough at juggling armors or have high ping and such.

• Like 2

I feel like it could be a good idea for Klei to just release a "armor slot"  beta and see if people like it or not. In that way we can figure if the community finds it unbalance, or unwilling to want change in the game, would enjoy the change in the game with that or we are extremely divisive in what comes as "good" and "bad" changes. I'm unsure if these sorts of changes make more people leave more or increase player count more, cause it feels more like the "survivalist" side of community protest these ideas.

I been around for 10 years or so playing and I always welcome new features and changes as the game grows and clothing balance was always stuck to me like a sore thumb when we cannot have a backpack slot as always a thing.

Juggling between clothing doesn't feel like a much of an issue but an empty complaint, in the sense if nothing changes and you get to wear that clothing suit or armor or just don't and avoid while the rest of us enjoy our time sitting in comfort more.

Nothing happens most of the time in the game unless you actively pursue for action, only couple or few bosses seasonally prick at you and the rest of time you can chill. As experienced player it's decent challenge I see for newer and intermediate players, for me it's a breeze and I'd enjoy more chill time sitting around. I mean, give people belts of hunger and backpack slots and everyone who sits at base will be less of a "leech" food wise :D Or bearger furs even! Solution to many problems by providing your egg babies with some gear and yourself.

The best clothing is lategame or in dangerous places so I'd expect people to want to try and risk for it all more, but sacrificing that Krampus sack slot really would suck.

Amulets could vary in weight, as you cannot wear yellow amulet while wearing backpack, or durability loss would increase the more you carry in your sack/pack.

I think there's varied solutions for rebalance and consideration, or just make it simple and add slot and don't overthink this too much, which for Klei's standpoint been working out mostly well (unless it's brightshades and pillar situation, latter is a good fix while we wait for former) and we can enjoy more items to use overall!

I hope Klei notices this topic and puts this idea into consideration again, test the waters, as they say. Wouldn't want my favorite game to limit itself on what we could do and should not.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

How is completely ignoring seasonal mechanics for half an hour not worth it? The thing that's not worth it is thermal stones, you are glued to heat sources and spend so much time constantly reheating them since they only last a couple of minutes. Basically only good for boss fights, or if Snow Chester is following you. 

Yet no one uses them. I'm not talking about duration, I'm talking about slots, just because me and you can deal with less slots doesn't mean the other 50k+ maniacs that play the game daily can.

Edited by Antynomity

I'd rather have a lategame backpack upgrade that has like 60% dmg reduction (with durability, when it breaks it's a normal backpack).

Right now this seems a little unbalanced cause juggling between your limited slots is a skill. Also it's a massive change and not just a QoL thing. Plus this would make Maxwell even stronger cause less room for oopsies.

• Like 2