Poll: Additional Clothing/armor slot for 2024 QoL

Clothing/Armor slot as new addition to survival and general use  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Should we get a slot for armor/clothing for QoL?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Unsure/indifferent.
  2. 2. Which one would you prefer if you had to choose?

• Clothing slot.
    • Armor slot.
    • One in the same slot.
    • Two slots, one for clothing other for armor in same bar.
    • Unsure/indifferent.
  3. 3. What's your opinion on this topic?

• I like this idea and I would want to go through with it.
    • Seems interesting, but I'm concerned over the balance of this for the game.
    • Seems unbalanced.
    • Seems unnecessary, talking in the sense that I don't want this change.
    • Unsure/indifferent.
  4. 4. Do you use Extra Equip Slots mod?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Only when I join other servers.
  5. 5. If you do want this change: what's the reason behind it?

• For fashion!
    • For comfort!
    • Fashion comfort science and all above!
    • It's long overdue for clothing/armor slot, 10 years to be exact.
    • There's skin choices for already few clothing items, might as well if there will be more then add a slot for it.
    • I don't want this change.

Most of the forumites are sort of "elitists" so I expected this voting outcome, but I seriously can't understand how anyone can have fun playing without extra equip slots it's like combined status mod without it the game feels broken. And I'm sure if a poll was like this to the more general audience like on Steam or the Chinese places where DST fans hang out it would get an overwhelming amount of support for more equip slots in the game.

• Haha 1
  • Potato Cup 1

i mean...i dont think any body clothing has skins....unlike the hat version of those....and there is a good reason as to why that is and i hope we all know why that is....because even if there skins for those...no ones goin to use them because....im just goin to say 90% of the player base would use a backpack over a clothing item...and i belive if you had 2 body slots in a way...there might be more people out there thinkin to actualy bother with clothing

38 minutes ago, . . . said:

how anyone can have fun playing without extra equip slots it's like combined status mod without it the game feels broken

Because they arent needed neither they make dst feel unique, they make it feel generic with easy access to long lasting weather protection plus, talking about combine statues, giving you numbers so you dont need to worry about taking in cosideration things like gestures in your character or usinf structures like thermal mesures...turning off your brain is good but something to make a dogma arround it or comparing a broken game with a game that lacks of such lame and unbalanced features

i dont how anyone can have fun with such mods but there are even worst ones that are also popular so we cant talk about fun as a objetive thing

38 minutes ago, . . . said:

. And I'm sure if a poll was like this to the more general audience like on Steam or the Chinese places where DST fans hang out it would get an overwhelming amount of support for more equip slots in the game.

That wont make it a good thing lol

Steam, that community filled with big brain users like "how to walk guide" creator, 8 years old posts and reviews and the 483827th furro anime op character mod made by a degenerated hentai consumer...what a community to take into account to release a product with quality

Also, isnt china where are popular sh*tty games like lost ark and other cash grabs games that are easy and grindy to boredoom and you progress via wasting real money? So because you cant die but also cant progress they get adicted to a domanine seller low quality game that allows them to have a guaranteed victory in their maddening way of living?

Popular=!quality

Edited by arubaro
  • Like 1

@arubaroI'm just saying asking anything about mods on the forums is basically rigged since the big majority of the forumites are vanilla puritans which see all mods as bad in DST, especially when it's something that makes the game more convenient like Extra Equip Slots or Combined Status to cut out tedium from the game and the usual reason is it will make the game too easy or it's broken or w.e. like Klei isn't make the game more easy as the years went by.. lol I'm sure if character customization mechanic was done by modders first and was a popular mod then all the forumites would bash on it making the characters OP but since Klei did it first it's super balanced.

Edited by . . .
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, . . . said:

@arubaroI'm just saying asking anything about mods on the forums is basically rigged since the big majority of the forumites are vanilla puritans which see all mods as bad in DST, especially when it's something that makes the game more convenient like Extra Equip Slots or Combined Status to cut out tedium from the game and the usual reason is it will make the game too easy or it's broken or w.e. like Klei isn't make the game more easy as the years went by lol

A lot of people is asking for actually good mods like geometric placement,  geometric drops, screen shot camera, and other non unbalanced or casual crap

Edit. And actually a lot of people, included myself, don't approve the ammount of buffs that characters are getting when we arent getting actual challenge...

One things is to like playing vanilla, other thing is adding QoL mods and other is just being biased because people reject the mods you add to make your experience easier. If you like them good for you but doesnt mean we all must like such things neither they should be banned from the workshop or anything 

Edited by arubaro
  • Like 1
  • Shopcat 1

1 hour ago, arubaro said:

A lot of people is asking for actually good mods like geometric placement,  

but that IS a cheat mod.....you can place things much closer way easyer then if you dont use it...in fact sometimes people scream at me because i dont use geo place mod...."good mods"........like combined status! but it appears that one is a "no no"? even if i see ALOT of them using it...like how else is it one of the most popular mods on steam? or mods that shows you where items are in chest you stored? is that alsol considered to be a "turning off brain" mod? because you dont have to think 24/7 where everything is in your base? or something that shows you where all the other players are on the map? or being able to see enemies health? what even counts as a "good mod" these days anyways? why even bother so much at this point of who out there uses a backpack and a summer vest at the same time? and why not make it official? other mods have become official...remember quick drop? yea thats an official thing now and people liked it....so why not being able to use 2 body slots at the same time? because its makin the game "more easy"?....like in what way? for being more enjoyable to not need to bother so much with things? to let body clothing have a chance to be used at all? and mind you i dont actualy use a mod that gives me more equip slots but i would welcome if it was made a real official thing

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Echsrick said:

but that IS a cheat mod.....you can place things much closer way easyer then if you dont use it...in fact sometimes people scream at me because i dont use geo place mod...."good mods"........like combined status! but it appears that one is a "no no"? even if i see ALOT of them using it...like how else is it one of the most popular mods on steam? or mods that shows you where items are in chest you stored? is that alsol considered to be a "turning off brain" mod? because you dont have to think 24/7 where everything is in your base? or something that shows you where all the other players are on the map? or being able to see enemies health? what even counts as a "good mod" these days anyways? why even bother so much at this point of who out there uses a backpack and a summer vest at the same time? and why not make it official? other mods have become official...remember quick drop? yea thats an official thing now and people liked it....so why not being able to use 2 body slots at the same time? because its makin the game "more easy"?....like in what way? for being more enjoyable to not need to bother so much with things? to let body clothing have a chance to be used at all? and mind you i dont actualy use a mod that gives me more equip slots but i would welcome if it was made a real official thing

Erm. Geoplace mod is just generally useful for aesthetic purposes, since a third of this game is literally just base building and decorating/landscaping. I'd take a second slot separate for clothing as addition having backpack on top of it like your 'inventory upgrade' when you play the game. Plenty of games do it I believe, wouldn't be bad to try balancing or trying to have that for DST imo since I'm kinda tossing purism idea out through the window rn and wanting all aspects of the game being more used than not.

What others may add for mods is their own choice and it's okay if you don't like some mods or like some of them. This game is quite customizable but my only concern being that sometimes mods don't get supported anymore and Klei updated the game extremely frequently to not bother with any of it.

Sometimes for Klei I believe it's good to learn what the community makes as they have been adding similar things from there into the game and use mods people make as inspiration to see what might be good to use or for them creatively to try implementing. We got compasses and flares now for pinpointing locations and exploration, quickdrop, deeper system changes like item cooldowns from the game mode they made before, skill trees as a sort of a 'character levelup' system which still needs tuning as it's very overpowered for early game imo... They make good twists and I'm sure they can think of something for body slot clothing/armor to be somehow becoming an addition, as someone mentioning something you might achieve like "eating stardrop" or some stardew valley thing lmao (don't take too literally into this example) but yea.

But in a way, I have done my part to raise awareness and maybe devs will notice this to consider (I hope).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, . . . said:

@arubaroI'm just saying asking anything about mods on the forums is basically rigged since the big majority of the forumites are vanilla puritans which see all mods as bad in DST, especially when it's something that makes the game more convenient like Extra Equip Slots or Combined Status to cut out tedium from the game and the usual reason is it will make the game too easy or it's broken or w.e. like Klei isn't make the game more easy as the years went by.. lol I'm sure if character customization mechanic was done by modders first and was a popular mod then all the forumites would bash on it making the characters OP but since Klei did it first it's super balanced.

Nah you can use whatever mods you want, and definitely good QOL stuff that is often added by mods needs to be brought in officially so it can be introduced to consoles.

BUT that is stuff like a console command panel UI so they can spawn in items and mobs to practice and explore the game, geo placement, more number visibility, etc.

That isn't stuff like "I want to wear all the equips at once" or "I want quick pick mod b/c picking things takes time."  Like there are elements of the game where you are challenged, one of them is time management and when you harvest resources, and another is juggling your equips.  The fact that you cannot have a backpack AND another chest slot item equipped is not a bug or oversight, it is part of the intended game balance.  Already in these discussion we see the arguments coming apart.  "Oh we add pockets to insulation items" and then we can't carry them inside our inventory to switch on / off when needed, and we can't put them inside chests.  "Oh we add a backpack slot" but then we also need to limit it so you can't have amulets equipped because that would be OP only insulation.

These things come up because you're trying to change balance, not QOL something like geo placement.  If you want to use these items, go use them.  You really can, trust me.  Backpack supremacy is a meme, you really do not need that extra inventory - and as much as you say its an "elitist opinion" to say this, it doesn't require much skill.  Just take a look at what stuff you're actually using when you leave your base, and how much you actually needed to come back with, and start dropping stuff that didn't need to be there to begin with.  And if you don't want to b/c you can't get over your fear of lacking inventory space - that is your CHOICE - and the game should not change because YOU make this choice - because while YOU make that choice, others make other choices, and prove that they are viable.

6 hours ago, Echsrick said:

but that IS a cheat mod.....you can place things much closer way easyer then if you dont use it...

You can place structures closer together without geo placement.  It is easier to place structures with geo placement, but it does not create any unique exception to placement rules and by pegging it to a grid typically you're placing things slightly further away then they could be otherwise.

You are playing Don't Starve, and you make it to Spring! Now spring has some problems, the rain is abysmal. It is easy to prevent, but the real problem is it will occupy a slot to deal with it. Do you wear an eyebrella? Well, if you want to wear a backpack, you can't wear armor. You could swap into armor whenever you need it, but if you drop the backpack at a bad time and lose track of it, it could lead to something bad or at the very best the tedium of having to go retrieve it.  You could wear a football helmet to have armor, and then use an umbrella, but no walking cane...and you have to wrap up fights quickly so that your wetness doesn't increase too much.

Oh wait, LOL nope, thanks to the great new equip slot update, you can wear an eyebrella, armor, and backpack! What was once a hazard you had to contend with is now trivial at every angle. Deep in the ruins when it turns to spring, bringing the danger of intense rains in an area where you absolutely need some form of armor? No problem! Just use body armor, eyebrella, and backpack! Having trouble deciding on whether to wear a magi for easier kiting on bosses, but want to double-down on armor to save durability on your hat? No problem! Just use a magi, armor, and helm! You can wear a tamo, armor, and helm in autumn so that you have every possible base covered at all times!

Sarcasm aside, introducing a new equip slot would absolutely decimate the balance of the game. It would trivialize every single challenge that isn't combat related, and even then it would significantly reduce the difficulty of every boss fight, in a really bad way. 

An opinion that people might actually disagree with, but I will take it to the grave, is that the thermal stone is too overpowered and discourages clothing items more than the oppressive equip slots ever did. Raincoats are useful when you want to do work at night with a miner helm, Bearger vest is great to wear when doing tasks around the base and you have no reason to wear anything else(as well as belt of hunger) but thermal stones are so good you can just use those the entire winter and beginning of spring without needing anything else. I'd rather they nerf thermal stones where they are single-use banks for heat/cold and go back to the dormant state on use, but that would probably never happen.

• Like 6
  • Shopcat 1

On 2/14/2024 at 2:35 PM, Yuuko said:

Dropping the backpack isn't for everyone.  I don't think people need to do it.  Its just seeing people say they want to use xyz but feel I can't b/c backpack...  I gotta challenge that.  If they don't see the value, adding pockets won't add that value.  Its likely the way they play is just adapted to having a backpack and not having insulation because that's how they've always played.  If they want to use it, they should try it.  See what adaptations they can make and what advantages they find.  It might be something niche useful like getting warmth + wetness protection for a dive into a winter ruins, or it might become something more like using a Magi as a full time light source.

This is a valid point, and I think this type of inventory management is a huge milestone for people to get over. It took me more time than I’m willing to admit to just leave my stack of flint and gold at home because I realized I won’t need to suddenly craft 20 luxury axes in the field. However, I think there still is an issue of the actual value you can get from body versus head slots. The magiluminescene is far and away the highest value non-armor body slot you can have, and it fits in a backpack to be swapped in for combat like a piece of armor anyway so it doesn’t always compete with the backpack like an insulating clothing item you’d need to wear all the time when away from heating/cooling. It’s still an opt-in for when you want to eschew a backpack for it for the movement / light as you mentioned, but it’s because of its insane utility that it can be worth it over the backpack. 
The problem I have with other body pieces is that I don’t think they provide the utility that you’d give up by slotting them in over a backpack  or a Magi with whatever hat you need. Hats (aside from the enlightened crown and the miner’s hat, I guess?) essentially serve as either armor or insulation, and that’s it. You can’t wear a backpack on your head or get a Magi’s movement speed bonus on your head. In the winter I can just wear a Tam or a beefalo hat and use whatever option of backpack or magi I want, and I’m good to go.
Wearing the hibearnation vest is locking me out of both of those very useful (or just convenient, for the case of the backpack) options for somewhat meager benefits. What am I going to have on my head in combination with it? A football helmet I could just keep in my inventory anyway before I get attacked? A miner’s helmet when lanterns already exist? Even more insulation that’s frankly unnecessary because I could use a charge of my starcaller’s staff or a torch to light a tree on fire to get warm again? You see the insane value the Eyebrella brings because it’s a hat slot item that gives both heat insulation and rain protection. Hat items really aren’t competing much with one another because they aren’t nearly as diverse in terms of their bonuses. I think if the Eyebrella was changed to be a chest item (basically just the raincoat but with heat protection) people would start to question using it as a chest slot over something like the Ice Cube. 

This is probably too much debate regarding a topic somewhat tangential to the thread, since I’m staunchly against the idea of adding more inventory slots regardless of my stance on this. However, I absolutely think the existing chest clothing items should be made better to be in line with the items that people use the most. I think the hibearnation vest specifically is really awesome in concept, but I have no reason to ever use it because what it provides can still easily be obtained while I’m wearing a backpack or a Magi. It’s a net loss to wear those clothing items a vast majority of the time, and whatever niche cases they solve are both few and far-between and can often just be solved with a more general-use item like a starcaller’s staff. 

• Sanity 1

This discussion is 10 years old at this point and the devs have a pretty clear vision of what they want in this regard.

No, we don't need to make clothing or armor "better". There should not be an option for both backpacks and clothing to be equipped at the same time. We don't need more inventory slots or better backpacks (late game gear proves this). And the advantage from the body slot armour/clothing is already amazingly balanced to be screwed up right now.

However I would also want a proper way to show my friends my clothing (fashion) while playing. Most of my rare suits are barely seen with backpacks or clothes on.

Would an item that fuses backpacks with armor ruin the game? Yes. Unlike Terraria where you have an accessory that has 30 others mixed in it, dst was not made for that. The game balance is around situations. You have to be prepared for every possible situation, and having an item that does X on hand, body slot and head slot is already giving the player enough creativity to play around.

• Like 3
  • Potato Cup 1

At this point conclusion would be adding new weather patterns to be much more different to the base game, unless we get clothing slot post fuelweaver/celestial as a result of more factors coming into play like more extreme weather events that aren't just acid and glass (cause the two are kinda boring, unless it being acid in some regard cause it adds new small environmental changes and new small difficulty increase for doing anything underground. Also boulders are a nice touch.)

If it makes it better to have it post the two big shadow and lunar bads it might not be as a bad idea as part of game progression and generally making the world a whole lot different to include it without Klei fearing backlash of forumites (as like they haven't been getting that as of late with that new content)

• Like 2

If I may interject with my two cents. I appreciate how some of the new content, especially the ocean has changed some of my playstyles with the body slot!

Due to the nature of a boat being an """"""infinite"""""" inventory that you can just drop items on, I feel a lot more encouraged to use clothing items when sailing! Why use a backpack when I already have all the space I need on a boat?(Of course a backpack will help with organization a lot more rather than picking items off the floor, or having to build chests which takes up space(not a lot though! You can genuinely fit 10+ chests on a boat!). I especially have fun using the hibearnation vest when sailing.

Wickerbottoms tempering temperatures has also been pretty awesome to use! I had a lot of fun switching out my backpack and having 240 insulation in body and head slot for a combined 480 insulation when bird farming. With the tempering temperatures being instant use and setting you at 35 degrees, I believe that gives you a nice ~10 minutes in the cold! No having to deal with warming up thermals.

I've never liked the Moonstorm all that much for a multitude of reasons, but to give credit where credit is due I've had to use a rain coat at times and think about my equipment slot choice due to my head slot having to be taken up for goggles.

• Like 6