[Game Update] - 590113

1 hour ago, _zwb said:

Turf and decorations. I turfed an entire biome with shell beach turf, I can't do that anymore :-?

yeah it's a shame, I guess i'll add shell beach turf to my list of 'I really like this turf/these items but i'll have to passively acquire them'. :(

11 hours ago, JesseB_Klei said:

• Fixed Pearl giving out rewards for players repeatedly for cleaning the ocean and it is now a one time quest.

WAIT WHY OH WHYYYYYY this was my shell farm for getting plenty of potted ferns... This really sucks, man. :( There's not a lot of uses for shells besides decor and bumpers, if it's the bumpers that are the main reason then I can understand but - POTTEN FERNS, MAN. Killing snails by melee is too much considering the dumb things have like 1200 hp and has a protective ability, bottles are fairly rare when it comes to solo play, killing crab king isn't even a choice anyone would make to get more shells - unless you're planning on adding a better solution or reworking slurtle health or mechanics/den respawning I don't see why this was necessary at all.

If nothing else will be changed might as well increase dropped shells from pearl bundles or change cost for buying it into a heavy fish per or something. Make it a bigger reward to be fishing in the ocean if you can, or something! T-T

2 hours ago, Szczuku said:

doesn't pearl sell you like 3-4 shells per bottle?

It's a really weak drop considering you need to sit around in the ocean and sail to get any bottles. Those are more worth to be used on other things. Pearl rewards for giving fish is also kinda meh, only leaves with feeding her kelp all the time and fishing while at it I guess. I build a lot with those and quantity wise it's quite weak reward that takes a while to farm without the glitch. But there's gotta a good reason why they did this?

• Like 3

I didn't know there were people out there wanting to mass-farm shells. I'm guessing Klei wouldn't have either until the fix brought it to light. Now that they're aware, I think coming up with some kind of compromise would be fair. Something to do with crustashines maybe.

Edited by YouKnowWho
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, YouKnowWho said:

I didn't know there were people out there wanting to mass-farm shells. I'm guessing Klei wouldn't have either until the fix brought it to light. Now that they're aware, I think coming up with some kind of compromise would be fair. Something to do with crustashines maybe.

Or snails like increasing the ammount of shells dropped by them

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Szczuku said:

What is a mass use of broken shells? Bumpers only ever get damaged if you are recklessly boating or in the moon quay. And potted ferns are purely decorative

Klei changed the skin meta by adding a skin(three, actually) to the potted fern, I've made a carpet out of them.

• Haha 1

Yeah, I can't stand the arguments against people farming up broken shells. 

"It doesn't affect me. So it's good that it's gone"
"You don't even really need it. It's only for decorations."
"There are already ways to get shells legitimately. Just give bottles to pearl. Bottles which spawn perhaps 3 per season."

I really would love to spearhead a movement that makes the forums a better place. Selfish opinions and the sheer lack of empathy fester in the forums. It's rot. 
Even if it's not me who leads it, someone else be the face of it, because the way a lot of players have harmless fun being dismissed is quite frankly a horrible practice. 

And to add, the damage is done with impunity. It's going to be what, like another year until Klei comes out with something to address the unmitigated crippling of farming broken shells?

This isn't something that will get fixed in the next patch. No way. The bug should have stayed in the game. A lot of bugs which don't affect your average player should definitely not be patched. 

On 1/20/2024 at 11:57 AM, JesseB_Klei said:
  • Fixed player’s face going invisible when equipping a Brightshade Helm during Enlightened Crown’s sanity threshold state change animation.

It's like the monkey's paw. A wish gets granted, but it's a cursed wish. I should stop reporting bugs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chirsg said:

Yeah, I can't stand the arguments against people farming up broken shells. 

"It doesn't affect me. So it's good that it's gone"
"You don't even really need it. It's only for decorations."
"There are already ways to get shells legitimately. Just give bottles to pearl. Bottles which spawn perhaps 3 per season."

I really would love to spearhead a movement that makes the forums a better place. Selfish opinions and the sheer lack of empathy fester in the forums. It's rot. 
Even if it's not me who leads it, someone else be the face of it, because the way a lot of players have harmless fun being dismissed is quite frankly a horrible practice. 

Respectfully, you are heavily exaggerating the negativity of these comments.

Out of all the comments you are referencing, only one of them I could realistically interpret as dismissive.

I say this with no intention of being rude. Take a look at your own post and compare it with the those you claim to lack empathy. Was your response any better?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ButterStuffed said:

Respectfully, you are heavily exaggerating the negativity of these comments.

Out of all the comments you are referencing, only one of them I could realistically interpret as dismissive.

I say this with no intention of being rude. Take a look at your own post and compare it with the those you claim to lack empathy. Was your response any better?

yes

• Haha 1
  • Shopcat 1

4 hours ago, erikac14 said:

so funny that you are the person who reported it lol

He doesn't. zwb has been a supporter of this bug. the bug he reported is the bug make you can finish the task in some other way (by loading statue onto the winch), not the bug that the task didn't set to be unable repetition (by throwing statue into the water and repeatedly lifting it up).

The real funny is you guys' level of lack of knowledge about what you've been using supports why it should be fixed;)

Edited by Cassielu
  • Sad Dupe 2

On 1/20/2024 at 6:50 AM, Masked Koopa said:

Also please for the love of Alter increase their stack limit (Shameless Plug).

Yes please! It's so annoying that tiny shell bits stack only up to 10. At the very least they should stack up to 20 but I see no harm in making them stack all the way to 40 like all other small materials (grass, twigs, flint, rocks) already do. Even gems stack up to 40 and they are much more valuable than broken shells that are used mainly for decorating. 

On 1/20/2024 at 9:59 AM, _zwb said:

Then how can we mass produce shell pieces? I need those for hundreds of shell beach turf:-?

Time to mod it back I guess

Edit: Done https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3143430231

Lmao I love this mod icon. I think this should settle the debates then - people who are upset about the change can just use the mod instead of complaining on forums. It sucks when a questionable method you like is patched (I used it too, I guess I'll just trade her bottles and repeat some of her tasks for bundles now) but I can understand that devs don't want us have free loot for doing nothing. It's a shame it took them three years to fix this bug and let it become a community beloved "feature". 

3 hours ago, Lovens said:

people who are upset about the change can just use the mod instead of complaining on forums.

Mods don't solve anything. They're liable to break your world and corrupt files with each subsequent update. Namely server mods. 

I don't like having server mods in the short term as well, because they're liable to make people in the server just crash.

6 hours ago, chirsg said:

Mods don't solve anything. They're liable to break your world and corrupt files with each subsequent update. Namely server mods. 

I don't like having server mods in the short term as well, because they're liable to make people in the server just crash.

Then continue whining instead of looking for solutions. In the other thread (which is closed now and I can't reply to you now) people mentioned a bunch of methods to obtain them, and I'll summarize them here. You might wanna explore them then if you don't want to install mods:

• Broken shells drop from sunken chests (3 are guaranteed per chest). Finally a reason to go get some! It's also a great use for the boots that Sharkboi drops (what else are you really gonna use them anyway)?
  • Shell bundles can be obtained from Pearl's shop (1 empty bottle = 3 broken shells). If you go to fish out sea treasure then you'll end up passively collecting more bottles than you know to do with and will always have new unopened ones saved to reveal the next treasure. It gives a reason to go to the ocean and explore instead of sitting in one spot. 
  • Shell bundles can also be obtained from Pearl from completing her repeatable quests every 20 days (dry 6 food items on her drying racks, feed her another flower salad, trade her seasonal or regular fish - that's 4 bundles, 12 broken shells total). Gives you a reason to return to her island every once in a while. Plant some kelp by her island to dry it. Cook and bundle salads in summer to use them in other seasons. Use Wickerbottom's fish book and heavy weighted lure to reliably catch heavy fish (regular and seasonal). Learn how fishing works and what are the most efficient ways to do it. Build a strident trident Wickerbottom fish farm close to the swell ocean or put fish trawlers in Waterlogged Biome/by Pearl's island and tin fishing bins to store all the heavy fish you caught.
  • Broken shells drop from crustashines (50% chance) which can be farmed by Moon Quay portal via moon gleams. Also it gives you a bunch of other good loot that's great for base decor as well as the reason to return to Moon Quay after looting it once;
  • Up to 14 shells drop per Crab King's kill, can be also repeated every 20 days. You can cheese it with killer bees really fast, set up a Sea Weed trap around it, or learn to fight it legit (I use Wanda, I usually farm it for winter ornaments anyway but shells are a nice bonus). It gives a reason to repeat this boss fight instead of ignoring it for the rest of the game. The fight is also a lot easier with 9 purple gems and no pearl.
  • Broken shells drop from snurtles and slurtles. It's not very fun to kill them manually, I agree. But people came up with some decent farming methods. And besides that you can get unique armors that can also be used for decoration. 
  • Finally, broken shells can be duplicated from deconstructing shell turf if you are really really desperate. Gives green gems another use.

Is it all as easy as just by sitting by a pinching winch and pulling the same thing up and down repeatedly? Of course, no. But there are a lot of ways of obtaining them, they just require some effort, exploration, creativity and...well, playing the game. I don't think shells/broken shells are too rare or hard to get, they just can't be mindlessly mass farmed anymore by literally investing almost no time and no resources and that's fine. It's like fixing that charcoal bug with Cult Of The Lamb Idol (it spawned one every time the world was loaded) - it gave free loot for doing nothing and this was not an intended behavior.

• Like 5
  • Health 2

6 minutes ago, Lovens said:

Then continue whining instead of looking for solutions. In the other thread (which is closed now and I can't reply to you now) people mentioned a bunch of methods to obtain them, and I'll summarize them here. You might wanna explore them then if you don't want to install mods:

• Broken shells drop from sunken chests (3 are guaranteed per chest). Finally a reason to go get some! It's also a great use for the boots that Sharkboi drops (what else are you really gonna use them anyway)?
  • Shell bundles can be obtained from Pearl's shop (1 empty bottle = 3 broken shells). If you go to fish out sea treasure then you'll end up passively collecting more bottles than you know to do with and will always have new unopened ones saved to reveal the next treasure. It gives a reason to go to the ocean and explore instead of sitting in one spot. 
  • Shell bundles can also be obtained from Pearl from completing her repeatable quests every 20 days (dry 6 food items on her drying racks, feed her another flower salad, trade her seasonal or regular fish - that's 4 bundles, 12 broken shells total). Gives you a reason to return to her island every once in a while. Plant some kelp by her island to dry it. Cook and bundle salads in summer to use them in other seasons. Use Wickerbottom's fish book and heavy weighted lure to reliably catch heavy fish (regular and seasonal). Learn how fishing works and what are the most efficient ways to do it. Build a strident trident Wickerbottom fish farm close to the swell ocean or put fish trawlers in Waterlogged Biome/by Pearl's island and tin fishing bins to store all the heavy fish you caught.
  • Broken shells drop from crustashines (50% chance) which can be farmed by Moon Quay portal via moon gleams. Also it gives you a bunch of other good loot that's great for base decor as well as the reason to return to Moon Quay after looting it once;
  • Up to 14 shells drop per Crab King's kill, can be also repeated every 20 days. You can cheese it with killer bees really fast, set up a Sea Weed trap around it, or learn to fight it legit (I use Wanda, I usually farm it for winter ornaments anyway but shells are a nice bonus). It gives a reason to repeat this boss fight instead of ignoring it for the rest of the game. The fight is also a lot easier with 9 purple gems and no pearl.
  • Broken shells drop from snurtles and slurtles. It's not very fun to kill them manually, I agree. But people came up with some decent farming methods. And besides that you can get unique armors that can also be used for decoration. 
  • Finally, broken shells can be duplicated from deconstructing shell turf if you are really really desperate. Gives green gems another use.

Is it all as easy as just by sitting by a pinching winch and pulling the same thing up and down repeatedly? Of course, no. But there are a lot of ways of obtaining them, they just require some effort, exploration, creativity and...well, playing the game. I don't think shells/broken shells are too rare or hard to get, they just can't be mindlessly mass farmed anymore by literally investing almost no time and no resources and that's fine. It's like fixing that charcoal bug with Cult Of The Lamb Idol (it spawned one every time the world was loaded) - it gave free loot for doing nothing and this was not an intended behavior.

Nice summary. On top of that, imagine how many broken shells they could have had if they played the game instead of writing angry forum posts about it. xd

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Captain_Rage said:

Nice summary. On top of that, imagine how many broken shells they could have had if they played the game instead of writing angry forum posts about it. xd

Time spent in the world is a tickdown. The longer a world goes on, the less viable a world becomes. 

The way this game is optimized, the longer a world consists, the more lag it starts to accumulate to the point of it no longer being playable.

If it takes me 1000 days to farm up a respectable amount of shells for a project, it's 1000 days lost and 1000 days worth of cumulative lag.

What people such as myself would need to solve this problem would be to put down $2000 on a gaming PC.

$2000 for a game I spent 2 bucks on.

Ideally it would be nice. I'd run a game until the end of time with a day count in the tens of thousands, but I don't have that kind of money to spend on a don't starve together machine.

Would be better to optimize and adjust this game better so I could be a good little shill and spend that money on skins rather than a whole entire machine.

17 minutes ago, BalkanCockroach said:

You will never be a good lil shill, you will just wait until the next thing to complain about happens. Forumites always do. Me included i think.

Is it complaining though? Or is it us providing valuable (or maybe not so valuable..) feedback about what we would like to see done with the game?

For me personally I think that slurtles should always drop broken shells, the % chance for them is kinda dumb considering that EVERY Slurtle you fight has a shell on its back… and the only way I can explain NOT getting shells from them would be if the player somehow entirely destroyed them OR if some slurtles just spawned looking more like slugs… (without the shells & with less armor/Hp)

See? feedback, and an idea to add something new to the game based on that Feedback :wilson_love:

20 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Is it complaining though? Or is it us providing valuable (or maybe not so valuable..) feedback about what we would like to see done with the game?

For me personally I think that slurtles should always drop broken shells, the % chance for them is kinda dumb considering that EVERY Slurtle you fight has a shell on its back… and the only way I can explain NOT getting shells from them would be if the player somehow entirely destroyed them OR if some slurtles just spawned looking more like slugs… (without the shells & with less armor/Hp)

See? feedback, and an idea to add something new to the game based on that Feedback :wilson_love:

Yeah but when people ALWAYS give their feedback it gives the implication that forumites know better the devs or game designers.

I was guilty of this too so now i keep (most) of my ideas or complaints to myself.

Also if you are cracked enough you can hunt sunken treasure for goodies and get shells meanwhile.

And why are some people acting like shells are important. 

Edited by BalkanCockroach

1 hour ago, chirsg said:

Time spent in the world is a tickdown. The longer a world goes on, the less viable a world becomes. 

The way this game is optimized, the longer a world consists, the more lag it starts to accumulate to the point of it no longer being playable.

If it takes me 1000 days to farm up a respectable amount of shells for a project, it's 1000 days lost and 1000 days worth of cumulative lag.

What people such as myself would need to solve this problem would be to put down $2000 on a gaming PC.

$2000 for a game I spent 2 bucks on.

Ideally it would be nice. I'd run a game until the end of time with a day count in the tens of thousands, but I don't have that kind of money to spend on a don't starve together machine.

Would be better to optimize and adjust this game better so I could be a good little shill and spend that money on skins rather than a whole entire machine.

Ironically, lag accumulates not because of the day count itself but because of all the clutter dropped on the ground overtime. The two main culprits are twigs dropped by twiggy trees in all biomes and rot that accumulates if you ignore the seeds that birds drop. And things like...wait for it...shell bundles that accumulated on Pearl's position if you happened to leave a pinching winch loaded with junk on a boat parked by her island! This was happening in my oldest world and I had to regularly clear them, I didn't even realize where they coming from until I read about this bug on the forums. Turned out the winch was resetting upon each world load, offscreen and without any interaction from my side. You should be glad that they fixed one of the lag sources then!

If you have troubles in long-term worlds, try either running console commands to remove excess twigs and rot from the ground, or go around and collect it manually if you don't/can't use console commands. If you are frequently going near swamp, there are going to be tons of mosquito sacks there as well. I just prefer to collect everything myself and do some cleanup in biomes I visit. It doesn't help if your world also has farms like passive grass gator twig farm, bunnymen spider farm or grass gecko farm with chester in the middle - they tend to generate a lot of lag. 

Overall it's pretty much a given that the older the world is/the bigger your base is, the more lag you will experience. This is not only because of entities that get spawned on the ground but also by the objects you build. You can't cover your base with hundreds of potted ferns and then expect the world to still run smoothly. I have a pretty good computer and my old worlds with lots of decorations still lag on it because the game likely wasn't originally designed for this playstyle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Big Ups 1

2 hours ago, BalkanCockroach said:

Yeah but when people ALWAYS give their feedback it gives the implication that forumites know better the devs or game designers.

I was guilty of this too so now i keep (most) of my ideas or complaints to myself.

Also if you are cracked enough you can hunt sunken treasure for shells.

And why are some people acting like shells are important. 

I think that forum members knowing a game better than it’s developers or designers (as in what sounds fun on paper and through the eyes of developmental code) and what is Actually fun through actual gameplay just comes with the territory of video games.

”People” have almost always been able to influence the success or failure of a game, movie, product etc…

Critics exist to say “this is a really bad game or movie, do not play or watch it” and then most people hear that information and avoid the game or movie, then after some time.. and the game or movie is considered a “Failure” people actually start playing or watching it for themselves instead of having a hive mind and listening to critics.

Case in point: Gremlins, Ghostbusters, and Hocus Pocus (all movies) when they released, were not very successful on release, but then many years later- Those movies are now beloved classics.

There also some games that’s entire design direction was changed based on player feedback.

Mass Effect is the famous one here, players hated the ending to that game SO BAD that they complained until the company literally had no choice but to change the games ending- and they did that by selling players multiple different game endings as DLC.

(no joke look it up if you don’t believe me)

And DS/DST is no exception- Players can influence the complete removal of gameplay mechanics (disease & wolfgangs speed boost) as well as the games cast of characters (Warbucks) and they can influence the return of those removed mechanics (Wolfgang’s speed boost)

My point is that unless Game Developers make a game and then do not perform any further updates to it after its released, turning away any and all bugs, feedbacks and suggestions, that players will always be able to influence the design of the game in one way or another.

so in short: Yes, Players do know the game better than the developers of the game… because what the devs see as numbers and code & creating a “Game” the players see that as their source of fun & entertainment.

So when people make suggestions for DST, it’s not because they feel they would be better developers then the actual people who made & continue to make content for the game, it’s simply just because they think that they know what would be more “fun” for themselves.

I hope you understand what I’m trying to say here. Because I seriously don’t need anymore off topic warnings whilst trying to explain things. :( 

Anyways- as long as people remain civil in discussing the game and topics about the game, I see no harm.

Just don’t go around screaming “These developers suck, I hate the updates they pump out & they should all be fired!” Because if you really hated the game that bad… you wouldn’t be on the forums hoping for changes to the things you dislike, now would you? :wilson_love:
Welp guess that’s all I wanted to say, hope everyone is doing well & staying sane, hugs & love and all that- Peace.

• Thanks 1

On 1/20/2024 at 10:59 AM, _zwb said:

Time to mod it back I guess

No hate, just a meme

(but seriously I’m not gonna be “farming Crabking” for this stuff, I might as well just learn to live a Shell-less life)

IMG_6406.gif

• Haha 2