[Game Update] - 590113

21 hours ago, Lovens said:

The two main culprits are twigs dropped by twiggy trees in all biomes

twiggy trees will "fill up" on twigs and won't drop any more after dropping around 2 twigs, so if you just leave them alone then they won't spawn any more

this principle is why twiggy trees have to be significantly spaced out when you farm them, or else twiggy trees will fill eachother up and hamper production

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Lovens said:

The two main culprits are twigs dropped by twiggy trees in all biomes

I've always found this idea so strange because, logically, it makes no sense that the game could handle thousands of trees and mobs and etc all constantly existing all throughout the world, but couldn't handle a couple hundred twigs on the ground in addition (which are vastly more simple than something like trees that all have to cycle their growth stages and such). I can see shell bundles being a problem because something about a large amount of items all stacked in the exact same spot (for example if you quick drop a ton of items in one place) DOES cause performance issues, and Pearl would likely just be dropping them directly outside her house in a big pile, but something like twigs spread out throughout the whole world shouldn't be any more of a problem than if you go around picking one desert's worth of tumbleweeds and leave the twigs and grass on the ground.

Edited by finn from human

23 hours ago, Lovens said:

And things like...wait for it...shell bundles that accumulated on Pearl's position if you happened to leave a pinching winch loaded with junk on a boat parked by her island!

Entities far away from any player aren't calculated, they aren't causing that much lag except for when you boot up the server (because the game have to create all the entities from save file again).

• Like 1

It's hard to play dst's 1k+ days worlds smoothly without a powerful cpu and high amount of ram (I don't think dst requires a good gpu, decent ones are more than enough).

I think it's best to revisit the slurtles. Slurtles have a weird high hp of 1200 and fighting them is unfun. If we revert back the hp to og ds or make the slurtle takes more hits before retreating to its' shell, and increase the drops (2-3 broken shells per kill), it will be fine.

I never touch the decors related to broken shells before, but thanks to this topic I am gonna try decorating my base with them now I know they exist ^^

• Like 4

I'm sorry but I just don't have the time anymore to farm all those shells. I resort to any means possible to play as resource farmers and gatherer characters just to fill up on stock and be well fine on the resources. Going around 20 days to farm up a good amount of shell just to make - image.png.c273edcca6b544f1e8c24280eab7056c.png

this, I simply can't afford that time. I got things to do, I enjoy the game and it's plenty of fun for me to play it, but grinding menial resources for eye candy is a drag. Kinda like farming for Celestial but it's on it's own is a can of worms and a half. Shells I feel like shouldn't be hard to gather, slurtle dens shouldn't disappear out of existence after breaking or gathering them, slurtles shouldn't be t h i s long to kill for some shell and armor when snurtles are a whole antithesis of them. Sailing around the world to get treasure chests is an extra hassle, because before I knew I could get many many shell bundles without effort via the glitch I used to deconstruct the chests for that reason. Crabby hermit can generate an ok amount of shells by doing her quests but they still feel kinda unbalanced after finishing them up.

Consider it as a fact that fishing for 4 heavy fish and needing to measure each one takes plenty of time on it's own, sitting feeding her kelp isn't neat when you can get only one bundle at the time per half a day and her salads take like 20 days or something for her to want another?

Honeys, honey isn't something that's hard to farm either. I saw that argument somewhere, I don't desire for honey from her. I want more shells but she puts in the damn honey in there -w- I assume it's like a sweet gesture but I'd feel happier with just more bellshells. Construction ain't cheap labor.

Not to mention there's many other decoration items that exists. I wouldn't just use one singular potted fern as decor to decor everything, would I? That would also adds extra work into consideration. It's just layers upon layers of nonsense we gotta go through to make something pretty without putting finger into console commands. Makes a worthwhile cause you do things, but some other tasks I'd enjoy seeing refreshed and renewed way of gathering. 

Furthermore, if anyone is concerned that it makes shell bumpers too easy to craft, well, they aren't in general. But Klei can up the price or add some other nonsense to make them stronger but harder to make.

• Like 5