Planer Damage should be removed. A suggestion and a change.

17 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

The new bosses are harder, but not b/c of planar.  They are harder because they have more difficult attack patterns.  If planar was deleted their enjoyment and the rewards from them would remain mostly the same.  All new gear so far would be valuable with planar deleted.

So again, that would be the tedious boring way of building out the game. New fight every 3-4 months and a new craft. Why do we need such a craft? Who knows. It's just more "powercreep" as the game gets easier and easier without anything to justify why we would need items like howlitzers, bearger bins, etc. So the game would keep developing and eventually the eventual end goal of the game would be to achieve maximum QoL. I'm sorry but that's incredibly boring. Why would anyone still play DST if it's just a random fight added every few months. 

Boss drops aside, new craftables:
dreadstone helm - really strong item that's not even needed; QoL

Brightshade helm, already has football helmet/eye of terror equipment; QoL

Brightshade sword - dark sword 2.0

Reaper weapon/tool - yay, easy harvesting of grass; QoL

Brightshade bomb - improved gunpowder, but why?

So no, I don't see value in the new items if planar were deleted. It's just QoL stuff that I wouldn't have much reason to interact with. 

26 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

I'm sure people would have loved BS and shadow gear if planar wasn't a part of it, and none of it would have eclipsed earlier gear b/c it would still be post AFW, post CC, rift world gear.

So what's the draw of your hypothetical new gear if it doesn't eclipse existing gear? Why would I have any reason to craft it? Just QoL reasons? That's not enough reason for me to want to craft anything.

25 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

If the new bosses are supposed to be harder, why is it that I have to intentionalyl use weak weapons like tentacle spikes to do so? Why have they added these new weapons specifically for killing the bosses, if they're supposed to be harder? There's nothing difficult about holding the new strong thing in my hand instead of the old strong thing, that isn't hard.

Well, the new fights are more tricky themselves. But it's not a forced choice. It's like DST offering you to fight dragonfly with a spear or a dark sword. The choice is yours. I don't see how this is any different. Sure, you can do away with planar damage for the armored varg/bearger. But what's the point of fighting these guys? To craft a howlitzer? Again, it goes back to the issue that the game was getting progressively easier. Drops would continue to improve but there were no changes in the constant to justify such powerful items. These things all went hand in hand. New bosses, new craftable items, new environment, new economy. It's difficult to just introduce one or a few without the others. At the end of the day, you have to ask yourself, what's the point of xyz. What is the benefit of fighting xyz, etc. Planar damage accomplished this, while also balancing it out with the early game. 

33 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Planar is literally removing variety by forcing you to use the handful of new things instead of the big amount of old things. Had these new things been added without planar damage that would be more variety. 

Not true at all. You either get:

a. stronger items than what previously existed -> everyone uses the new items and toss away the old stuff; all the old bosses are a complete breeze

b. items are as strong, but not stronger. I'm assuming they offer QoL benefits -> only a modest addition to variety as nothing conceptually new was actually added. 

In either case, it's not like there was any true increase in variety. 

24 minutes ago, PetulantPansy said:

Not true at all. You either get:

a. stronger items than what previously existed -> everyone uses the new items and toss away the old stuff; all the old bosses are a complete breeze

b. items are as strong, but not stronger. I'm assuming they offer QoL benefits -> only a modest addition to variety as nothing conceptually new was actually added. 

In either case, it's not like there was any true increase in variety. 

You just said that it increased variety, now you're saying that there isn't actually any change in variety at all because they don't conceptually change the entire fundamentals of the combat system for some reason. I think you just want to argue. 

20 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

You just said that it increased variety, now you're saying that there isn't actually any change in variety at all because they don't conceptually change the entire fundamentals of the combat system for some reason. I think you just want to argue. 

That's not what I said at all. I was refuting your line of: 'Had these new things been added without planar damage that would be more variety. 

My response is conceptualizing your hypothetical of these new weapons without planar defense.

I'm glad you at least agree with me that there is no material increase in variety if these new items were added without planar mechanics. 

12 hours ago, somethin said:

Because said buffs items were made before planar damage/defense exist...? Who knows, we might get a new spice when Warly skill tree drops, whenever that is.

How is that meant to be a justification?

1 hour ago, PetulantPansy said:

So no, I don't see value in the new items if planar were deleted. It's just QoL stuff that I wouldn't have much reason to interact with. 

I disagree. Even without planar, brightshade sword is still best ruins clearing item due to the 10% bonus vs shadows, and the fact that it shares the same repair materials as the smasher. Brightshade staff has great utility as well in some scenarios. Brightshade helm is useful as an infinite-durability desert goggles.

Void cloak negates negative sanity aura, which pairs well with enlightened crown. Void Reaper is definitely nice for farming, kinda eh for combat.

52 minutes ago, PetulantPansy said:

That's not what I said at all. I was refuting your line of: 'Had these new things been added without planar damage that would be more variety. 

My response is conceptualizing your hypothetical of these new weapons without planar defense.

Yeah. You say that the items themselves give no variety. When 1 comment earlier you said they did give variety.

image.thumb.png.0e2f57b60858ca98eab95799cb5998cb.png

To defend the system saying it's not clutter, you say it gives variety. But then when someone says it does the opposite of give variety, you defend the system by disagreeing with the premise that it gives variety at all to begin with. You aren't staying consistent in what you're saying, and just disagree with everyone.

54 minutes ago, PetulantPansy said:

I'm glad you at least agree with me that there is no material increase in variety if these new items were added without planar mechanics.

I explicitly said it would add variety if planar damage did not exist. 

2 hours ago, PetulantPansy said:

So again, that would be the tedious boring way of building out the game. New fight every 3-4 months and a new craft. Why do we need such a craft? Who knows. It's just more "powercreep" as the game gets easier and easier without anything to justify why we would need items like howlitzers, bearger bins, etc.

The thing is - the game never really gets "harder" for planar damage.  The very first fight against BS plants MAYBE but after that we've got BS set and we're essentially already upgraded from where we were before.  So what does planar damage bring to the table?  We've got weapons that already, side by side without planar would be amazing options with great perks...  what now?  bigger planar damages?  What is different from that and just not having planar..?

I could see this argument IF...

... we were left without planar for a while

... planar gear wasn't already top tier even without the planar damage mechanics

... there were some sense of progression to planar rather than being literal wish fulfilment gear from day one.

Like WARBIS gear would make sense if we didn't just get all of the god tier planar stuff right before it lol.

I mean really, repairable gear, permanent light sources, built in dust storm protection, immunity to sanity auras, viable ranged dps and aoe, if we get all of that NOW, according to you, where do we go next?  Is the arc over before its begun?  What has planar actually brought us as a damage type?

imo the worst thing is with the new gear planar is 100% forgettable.  If we removed planar the fights with the new gear vs the new bosses would be the same.  The only difference is we're restricted from using other gear, ironically gear that we probably wouldn't use at that point anyway b/c the planar stuff is that good.  There are no interesting decisions to make as a player involving planar damage.  I either need it, or I don't and probably use planar anyway b/c its what I already have on after clearing BS plants lol

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

Yeah. You say that the items themselves give no variety. When 1 comment earlier you said they did give variety.

image.thumb.png.0e2f57b60858ca98eab95799cb5998cb.png

To defend the system saying it's not clutter, you say it gives variety. But then when someone says it does the opposite of give variety, you defend the system by disagreeing with the premise that it gives variety at all to begin with. You aren't staying consistent in what you're saying, and just disagree with everyone.

I explicitly said it would add variety if planar damage did not exist. 

You're not understanding what I'm saying and I can't help that. I can make this very easy for you: show me where i say that the new items give less variety when planar mechanics exist. I'll wait. You can't just make me say stuff I never said. 

Your confusion is you are saying that the items give more variety when planar mechanics do not exist. Just read what I wrote. I clearly stated that under conditions where planar mechanics don't exist the items don't provide variety. I don't see how you can equate a situation where planar mechanics exist, and a situation where planar mechanics don't exist, as the same. Especially when the very items we're talking about derive their variety from a universe where planar mechanics exist.

7 minutes ago, PetulantPansy said:

You're not understanding what I'm saying and I can't help that. I can make this very easy for you: show me where i say that the new items give less variety when planar mechanics exist. I'll wait. You can't just make me say stuff I never said. 

Your confusion is you are saying that the items give more variety when planar mechanics do not exist. Just read what I wrote. I clearly stated that under conditions where planar mechanics don't exist the items don't provide variety. I don't see how you can equate a situation where planar mechanics exist, and a situation where planar mechanics don't exist, as the same. Especially when the very items we're talking about derive their variety from a universe where planar mechanics exist.

Weapons that have actual gameplay differences about them such as gaining a stacking damage bonus with repeated hits isn't variety, but something that is literally functionally identical in every single way to a different weapon but you're forced to use it because the enemy simply takes less damage from things that aren't that weapon is variety. What do you think variety is? 

42 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Weapons that have actual gameplay differences about them such as gaining a stacking damage bonus with repeated hits isn't variety, but something that is literally functionally identical in every single way to a different weapon but you're forced to use it because the enemy simply takes less damage from things that aren't that weapon is variety. What do you think variety is? 

No one is forcing you to do anything in this sandbox game. No one is stopping you from using a dark sword against a brightshade. Again, I don't see how this is any different from choosing between a spear and dark sword during your first in game year. 

I understand people are annoyed with the tedium with it. "Why not just use the same dark sword against the new enemies". That's a fair question but it looks at the issue at too much of a microscopic level. I don't see a reason to repeat myself but the things that came with planar damage were new craftables, new mobs, new economy, new challenges. Those things are all inter-related and dedicated players like new things over repeating the same things over and over again. Variety to me is just more options to tackle a problem. 

I see a difference between a dark sword that does 47 damage or whatever that number is and a brightshade sword that does 68 damage. I don't see a difference between a dark sword that does 68 damage and a brightshade sword that does 68 damage. 

People would love to see how you could improve the game without planar mechanics. At the end of the day, that's all that matters. But what you proposed sounds like powercreep. I obvious have to take some leaps in logic as you didn't go over details, but I could see a few options:

1. DST constant stays the same but we get progressively stronger items -> powercreep

2. DST constant changes (acid rain/bright shades) -> items get stronger. But how do you balance out these new stronger late game items with the early game items. A game where the main combat weapon doesn't change while other elements of your "universe" aren't changing is boring and doesn't quite feel right. 

56 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

What has planar actually brought us as a damage type?

Well you get told but then ignore it and then go back to saying it’s bad for the same reasons and asking the same questions.

I find that it also encourages use of body armor for battles, not that it wasn’t already done with thulecite, marble, night and bone for offering more protection than football helms.

1 hour ago, Shosuko said:

The thing is - the game never really gets "harder" for planar damage.  The very first fight against BS plants MAYBE but after that we've got BS set and we're essentially already upgraded from where we were before.  So what does planar damage bring to the table?  We've got weapons that already, side by side without planar would be amazing options with great perks...  what now?  bigger planar damages?  What is different from that and just not having planar..?

Planar damage is part of that entire ecosystem that brings a bunch of new craftable items. Some of which would be a lot harder to justify crafting (or even introducing into the game) if planar mechanics didn't exist.

Let's say that bearger didn't have planar defense. So we go through all the effort to kill bearger 2.0 with day 20 equipment for what? Singular boss drops? What about all these annoying brightshades that keep spawning. What do I do with all their husks? Why even bother activating this stuff in the first place if all it leads to singular boss drops? See, this is just boring.  

As far as the what now, I would guess that the devs are working on more mobs/mini-bosses/bosses that have planar damage mechanics. Probably not as many new weapons and stuff. 

I mean really, repairable gear, permanent light sources, built in dust storm protection, immunity to sanity auras, viable ranged dps and aoe, if we get all of that NOW, according to you, where do we go next?  Is the arc over before its begun?  What has planar actually brought us as a damage type?

Unfortunately, it's entirely possible that some of the new powerful craftable items were rushed. DST hasn't released any big changes since Moon Quay/Eye of the Storm (CC) so people are hungry for new content. On top of that, they want to see where all this is going. This specific arc is only missing 1 more update (likely a cave update). I expect the bigger story to end in a boss fight of some sorts where all the new items will be greatly beneficial, but are not mandatory

imo the worst thing is with the new gear planar is 100% forgettable.  If we removed planar the fights with the new gear vs the new bosses would be the same.  The only difference is we're restricted from using other gear, ironically gear that we probably wouldn't use at that point anyway b/c the planar stuff is that good.  There are no interesting decisions to make as a player involving planar damage.  I either need it, or I don't and probably use planar anyway b/c its what I already have on after clearing BS plants lol

Again, planar war just part of the package/ecosystem. It was for the greater good. And I don't know why people say that you are "forced" to use the new items. The old items are worse but still useable. The choice is yours. The only minor choices are set bonuses and extra damage depending on alignment but yes I agree, it's not much. 

44 minutes ago, Popian said:

Well you get told but then ignore it and then go back to saying it’s bad for the same reasons and asking the same questions.

I find that it also encourages use of body armor for battles, not that it wasn’t already done with thulecite, marble, night and bone for offering more protection than football helms.

The only people I've seen ignoring things are people in support of planar mechanics, pretending like they're about to turn the game off from boredom because they're spending time to get new items (yawn) instead of the much more fun alternative of spending time to get the same item you already had, but planar.

1 hour ago, PetulantPansy said:

No one is forcing you to do anything in this sandbox game. No one is stopping you from using a dark sword against a brightshade. Again, I don't see how this is any different from choosing between a spear and dark sword during your first in game year. 

I understand people are annoyed with the tedium with it. "Why not just use the same dark sword against the new enemies". That's a fair question but it looks at the issue at too much of a microscopic level. I don't see a reason to repeat myself but the things that came with planar damage were new craftables, new mobs, new economy, new challenges. Those things are all inter-related and dedicated players like new things over repeating the same things over and over again. Variety to me is just more options to tackle a problem. 

I see a difference between a dark sword that does 47 damage or whatever that number is and a brightshade sword that does 68 damage. I don't see a difference between a dark sword that does 68 damage and a brightshade sword that does 68 damage. 

People would love to see how you could improve the game without planar mechanics. At the end of the day, that's all that matters. But what you proposed sounds like powercreep. I obvious have to take some leaps in logic as you didn't go over details, but I could see a few options:

1. DST constant stays the same but we get progressively stronger items -> powercreep

2. DST constant changes (acid rain/bright shades) -> items get stronger. But how do you balance out these new stronger late game items with the early game items. A game where the main combat weapon doesn't change while other elements of your "universe" aren't changing is boring and doesn't quite feel right. 

See, you are technically right. Yes, you can skip planar damage entirely and use nothing but dark swords and football helmets. You can also beat Misery Toadstool with nothing but bug nets and fishing poles. And doing either of these things will have people calling you a ****ing dumbass.

See, ultimately the problem with your example is that the only "choice" is the player actively hindering themselves for the sake of it. Even pre-rift weapons; as dominated as they where by the dark sword, still all had valid reasons to use them.

One player might choose the Shield of Terror for it's extra defense and repairability.

Another player might choose the Morningstar for it's extra damage against wet enemies and illumation properties.

And even another might choose the Thulecite club for it's high durability, speed boost, and shadow tentacles.

Meanwhile, your choice when dealing with planar mobs is either "Use a planar weapon", or "Fight the enemy with a wet noodle instead". Yes it is a choice that the player can make. But the tradeoffs are non-existent and the the odds are so heavily skewed in one's favor that I may aswell ask you to choose between eating icecream for breakfast or adding the family dog to your body count.

Also, I should add that Planar Damage isn't "Avoiding" power creep, it is power creep despite Klei's insistance of the otherwise. Power creep is best defined as when content is designed to be stronger in direct response to an already strong addition. And the entire reason Klei introduced rift content is because they felt that players had gotten to strong. It is so textbook that it's honestly sad how nobody at Klei managed to realize they where only power creeping things even more.

32 minutes ago, PetulantPansy said:

Planar damage is part of that entire ecosystem that brings a bunch of new craftable items. Some of which would be a lot harder to justify crafting (or even introducing into the game) if planar mechanics didn't exist.

Let's say that bearger didn't have planar defense. So we go through all the effort to kill bearger 2.0 with day 20 equipment for what? Singular boss drops? What about all these annoying brightshades that keep spawning. What do I do with all their husks? Why even bother activating this stuff in the first place if all it leads to singular boss drops? See, this is just boring.  

As far as the what now, I would guess that the devs are working on more mobs/mini-bosses/bosses that have planar damage mechanics. Probably not as many new weapons and stuff. 

Unfortunately, it's entirely possible that some of the new powerful craftable items were rushed. DST hasn't released any big changes since Moon Quay/Eye of the Storm (CC) so people are hungry for new content. On top of that, they want to see where all this is going. This specific arc is only missing 1 more update (likely a cave update). I expect the bigger story to end in a boss fight of some sorts where all the new items will be greatly beneficial, but are not mandatory

Again, planar war just part of the package/ecosystem. It was for the greater good. And I don't know why people say that you are "forced" to use the new items. The old items are worse but still useable. The choice is yours. The only minor choices are set bonuses and extra damage depending on alignment but yes I agree, it's not much. 

Well actually, this is quite simple. If Planar damage didn't exist, then:

>Brightshade and void items would still be used. Both have the unique property of being repairable along with a whole other suit of bonuses that make them highly desirable over dark swords and the ilk.

>Post-rift boss items are still perfectly fine. They're still gated behind beating the Celestial Champion (or Ancient Fuelweaver once cave rifts get their update). So they can't be rushed and their huge strength is generally justified.

>Any character with combat-oriented perks doesn't need to rely on skill trees to compensate, opening more options for what skills can be added and picked.

You call Planar Damage "Part of the Ecosystem". I call it an invasive species.

Also not quoted here, but it's honestly kind of pathetic that you think that Rifts and Planar mechanics are the only way that Klei can further extend DST's life span. You want to know what other updates they could have done instead? Ocean updates, Cave updates, and season overhauls, particularly summer. There. That alone is probably a good year of new updates. Maybe 2 if Klei finally does the right thing and relaxes the update schedule. No need for rifts, no need for Planar gibbly gloo gla. And it's content that several times more players will actually see.

Actually, Oceans are fun to bring up because they're a large part of why I don't trust Klei and these rift update. You and many others are saying to just wait for Klei to finish the rift arc before judging. But the last time people said that about something, Klei just... didn't finish it. We let them cook, per se. And they gave up halfway through and left the ocean brownie batter on the cabinet while they went to go get takeout instead.

They say history doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme. So sorry if I think I can see hear this song is going ahead of time.

i like planar selfishly and subjectively not just from my own gameplay experience with it being positive but also just because i'm kind of tired of every new thing being some form of sidegrade of another thing and thereby ignored or actively discouraged by the community at large, because of course an old thing that's already been incorporated into a playstyle is going to be more comfortable to just stick to. Though obviously i'm perceiving how in terms of community perception it's just going to be a tradeoff for this sort of discussion where a lot of people just don't see the point

1 hour ago, Theukon-dos said:

Also, I should add that Planar Damage isn't "Avoiding" power creep, it is power creep despite Klei's insistance of the otherwise. Power creep is best defined as when content is designed to be stronger in direct response to an already strong addition.

It's weird that people simultaneously defend planar damage by saying that it's good that it's going against powercreep, but also that it's good because they don't want to just keep using the same weapons and want stronger ones.

Also there's a terrifying Halloween reaction now so you get to be scared out of your mind with a pumpkin on your post.

Meanwhile, your choice when dealing with planar mobs is either "Use a planar weapon", or "Fight the enemy with a wet noodle instead". Yes it is a choice that the player can make. But the tradeoffs are non-existent and the the odds are so heavily skewed in one's favor that I may aswell ask you to choose between eating icecream for breakfast or adding the family dog to your body count.

I don't know what to tell you. It's not a secret that the brightshade sword is better than than existing equipment. Just like how the thulcite club is better than the shield of terror. 

Also, I should add that Planar Damage isn't "Avoiding" power creep, it is power creep despite Klei's insistance of the otherwise. Power creep is best defined as when content is designed to be stronger in direct response to an already strong addition. And the entire reason Klei introduced rift content is because they felt that players had gotten to strong. It is so textbook that it's honestly sad how nobody at Klei managed to realize they where only power creeping things even more

Players are too strong. And I would like to see you source where you found that the entire reason rift content was introduced was to address powercreep. Rift content does address powercreep (whether it did so successfully is another debate) but there are so many other reasons they introduced it (another dimension to build on, more end game content, [to name a few])

Well actually, this is quite simple. If Planar damage didn't exist, then:

>Brightshade and void items would still be used. Both have the unique property of being repairable along with a whole other suit of bonuses that make them highly desirable over dark swords and the ilk.

>Post-rift boss items are still perfectly fine. They're still gated behind beating the Celestial Champion (or Ancient Fuelweaver once cave rifts get their update). So they can't be rushed and their huge strength is generally justified.

>Any character with combat-oriented perks doesn't need to rely on skill trees to compensate, opening more options for what skills can be added and picked.

> this is end game content. Players who get there can easily overcome whatever hindrances came with the "weaker" counterpart to whatever 2.0 new gear gets introduced. tldr, it would just be QoL stuff that's not rewarding

> so you now fight the 2.0 version of bosses, and why exactly? a single boss craft? why does the existing constant as is, need more overpowered gear. This just isn't rewarding. 

> adding more skills to survivors who don't even need it (minus walter/winona/woodie)

The point you're missing is that when you add stuff to a 10+ year old game, everything is inter-connected. You can't just add standalone things and just expect it to just mesh well with what's already in existence. 

Also not quoted here, but it's honestly kind of pathetic that you think that Rifts and Planar mechanics are the only way that Klei can further extend DST's life span. You want to know what other updates they could have done instead? Ocean updates, Cave updates, and season overhauls, particularly summer. There. That alone is probably a good year of new updates. Maybe 2 if Klei finally does the right thing and relaxes the update schedule. No need for rifts, no need for Planar gibbly gloo gla. And it's content that several times more players will actually see.

Actually, Oceans are fun to bring up because they're a large part of why I don't trust Klei and these rift update. You and many others are saying to just wait for Klei to finish the rift arc before judging. But the last time people said that about something, Klei just... didn't finish it. We let them cook, per se. And they gave up halfway through and left the ocean brownie batter on the cabinet while they went to go get takeout instead.

They say history doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme. So sorry if I think I can see hear this song is going ahead of time.

Boring. A random cave update here, ocean update there. That's 2022 all over again, and if I'm being honest, that was a pretty lean year.

All of this crying because old weapons don't deal as much damage any more. I'm sorry but I'd much rather have this than a bunch of one-off updates, each of which doesn't carry a lot of impact on the overall dst experience/story. 

i dont know, i think planar defense is kinda stupid, it litteraly makes everything not planar damage not useable anymore, the new weapon sould realy do just more damage then the old stuff while the old stuff still does there full damage against those planar things...and as added bonus opposide planar weapons, so moon weapons do some extra damage against shadow alligment and the over way around with shadow weapons doin more damage to moon aligment, probably better then having all the old stuff not work realy anymore

7 hours ago, PetulantPansy said:

Just like how the thulcite club is better than the shield of terror.

I beg to differ! Shield of Terror is great. Uniquely protecting as a hand slot and freeing up space, as well as refueling with easy to source materials.

But I also quite like the club. Having both be viable options is why I like this game so much.

On 10/27/2023 at 1:06 PM, Szczuku said:

Oh, no! You can't use them against the 7% of the mobs that are in the game. Oh woe, woe is us

You can't use them on these or any new bosses in this arc.  The entire "end game" loop that literally never turns off.  The constant base infecting mobs that will always be there from the moment the rifts open until you finally get bored and quit playing the game.

For all of that time the weapons are useless.  Enjoy that first 1-200 days because after that all you'll use are planar gear...

i dont understand why people exactly defend planar damage, i get that you have to defend every decision klei makes but this is a situation where i dont see nobody getting anything, good?

if you are like me and like to kill early threats with weapons in the later game you cant because using them its the same as a normal dark sword

and if you like "every option being viable at all times" then you are not benefited either because post rifts enemies make you have to use planar weapons with them which reduces variety

2 hours ago, Shosuko said:

You can't use them on these or any new bosses in this arc.  The entire "end game" loop that literally never turns off.  The constant base infecting mobs that will always be there from the moment the rifts open until you finally get bored and quite playing the game.

For all of that time the weapons are useless.  Enjoy that first 1-200 days because after that all you'll use are planar gear...

Yeah, last night I tried to hit a britishhade with a shield of terror and it came to my house and broke both my arms.

16 hours ago, Shosuko said:

and what does planar do about this?

How does planar damage do anything to change "players are too strong" ?

2 part answer. 

1. It directly reduces damage done by survivors/weapons that deal high damage. The new damage function is basically a square root curve so low damage weapons/survivors aren't impacted very much while high damage weapons/survivors are impacted more heavily. That's textbook fighting powercreep. Instead of making the weaker survivors (ex. walter, winona, wes, woodie, etc) deal more damage to keep up with the wolfgangs, wigs, and wandas, the latter group deals less damage. The weaker group of course is still impacted but not by as much. 

2. I don't know how many times I have to say this but it's about the entire package. There are changes to the constant that have made it more challenging for survivors to thrive in. Planar damage is part of that package.

Archived