Beta Feedback Roundup

I love the game so far! You guys did a brilliant job with the art style and gameplay. The eerie music that occurs occasionally is perfectly placed. This being said, it is only the beta! I'm very excited to see where this game leads and how many new things will be added to the final version. Overall great job guys!

Accidental clicking Tip:

A tip that I came up with while playing was the ability to collect resources that seem out of reach (because of objects in front of the resource trying to be collected). I personally feel a nice touch would be to add a light/faint silhouette of the item that is currently behind an object to show up when the mouse is hovering over it, a ghost image if you will, that will allow you to click and pick up the item. The only thing I could see that getting in the way of is if you want to actually interact with the object that is obstructing the resource (such as cutting, gathering, etc...). I know the arrow keys will change the overall map, but I seldom use this feature simply because the chance of getting lost or knowing exactly where you are can be difficult (I use landmarks around the map to establish where my base camp is).

That's just my personal tip so far but overall this is a great game and a great value! Thank you!

Edited by Conan14

I have few suggestions (if its the right place to post it). Generally i have only one issue at the moment - nothing to do, because i have made myself stable farm of meat and can easily stack up for tons of meet and get some free researches as Soon as new patch hits. And game being in general a bit to easy.

World:

[EVENT] Mist: Engulfs island (not light at all at night), forcing player to move to another one,

also spawning a boss, that can drop Hearth of the Mist. Mist vanishes after few days or if player

kills Banshee (boss).

[NPC] Wolpertingers run sideways from you, preventing easy kill.

[NPC] Tamable Beefalo! (alowing you to ride it and travel a bit faster in general)

[OBJECT] Carrots respawn, but at low rate (everybody loves carrots, right?)

[OBJECT] Trees - reduced growth time (x3)

[OBJECT] Stone and Flint - no respawn! ever!

[NPC] Wolpertingers and Beefalos eating grass, flowers, carrots and berries (competition!)

[NPC] Spiders attacking wild Wolpertingers and Beefalos (competition!)

Items:

[sTATUS] Item Weight - less weight you have, faster you Run.

[sTATUS] Item Decay (to prevent item stacking) - items decay and get destroyed after some time

[sTATUS] Farms - Bigger growth time (x5), Bigger yield (x3)

[iTEM] Hearth of the Mist (Drop only)

[iTEM] Bucket (allowing you to take some water from water ponds in marsh) - allows you to take out fires

[iTEM] Cold house (fridge, allowing you to store 3 stacks of food, resistant to decay) - full buckets + Hearth of the Mist

[iTEM] Fence and Fence Gates

Player:

Allow resurrect only Wilson

Make each character harder than previous! Wendy can't growth beard - thus can't be ressurected.

Player can catch fire too!

You have to research everything again, after you die.

System:

Options, allowing you to turn of game sounds/music and etc.

Edited by Ray

I want to add some ideas too.- Fishing pole (logs+spider web or buffalo hair) and you would use seed to catch fish.- Mushrooms (good ones and bad ones) bad one will make you sick. If you would have bucket +water +mushrooms you could make soup-Please add water, because in order not to die, you need to drink water more than eat food.- Ability to destroy what you have build and you would get back 75% of resources you used- add rain, so that after it there would be more mushrooms, more berries and more places to find fresh water- Also if you will add rain, you should add ability to protect your fire.- Add spear so that you could be a real hunter- Its is cool that beard grows, but why hair don't grow? I want to look like cousin it.And finally more monster and more item tiers

Edited by Echosai

on mine the tent glitches instantly drains health, i thought it would skip time or something so i don't have to sit through the night, also the rock doesn't re-spawn anywhere and is too scarse to make both a science machine and something else, i know its meant to be hard and i love the Challenge, but rock needs to respawn, i covered the entire map and found no more and survived a week and found none. other than that i think its great and runs perfectly

I like the game so far. Great job! I have a few suggestions which have been mentioned by some in various places.Tame Beefalo with grassability to make boats and travel via seaFeed fireflies to spiders / tame spidersAbility to use animals to collect various items auto equip ability for next item (just an icon to indicate what to put in your hand once an armor or hand item is used up)thief character that takes items left on the ground/have animals eat grass, seeds, pigs take wood flint (I really don't need to use the chest because things just sit there forever)

I would like to share an Idea of a Cave environment, where you have to have a torch to be able to see in it.Cave contains- Boulders, gold, lots of spiders, and any other new or useful things you think I should recommend to you.Please take it into consideration. =DThanks,SilentZ9

I love how you can sleep the night away now. That feels much better to me. I also think that taking away the magic farms will make the game much more enjoyable, or at least restrict them for end game material. I also like how I can hold down the mouse button to chop trees now. There seems to be a problem with that where it takes away 1% more uses out of my tools thank if I click away at the resources. Mostly I noted this on trees.Spears are amazing. Thank you.

I was just wondering, why can't we start from the last sunrise is saved when Wilson dies. Starting a new game every day is getting very repetitive. It is a good game... doing the same few hours over and over again... please can we continue from a save point. I am not good at this game. Without a save point i don't think i will ever get past day 8. :-(

I bought the game on Oct. 17th and have very much enjoyed the time I've spent playing it. This game is very well conceived and designed and the $9 I paid couldn't have been better spent in my opinion. I've paid 6 times that for games I've gotten less entertainment out of. Additionally, I'm quickly growing quite fond of Klei; I love the engagement that you guys have with the community and I may look into some of your other games for that reason alone. I understand that it's only in beta now and there's much more to come, but I do have some suggestions...There are some small performance issues. I have not experienced the slowdown in "busy" areas, as some players have reported (possibly because you've fixed it), but I have experienced dramatic slowdown if I play for awhile and it seems to get worse the longer I play. I can fix it by killing the process (closing the tab) and relaunching, but that can definitely interrupt the immersion. It strikes me as a memory leak. That said, it's only a minor annoyance, and definitely not a game-breaker for me. Also, while I haven't recorded the variance in my play-times by session, it doesn't seem to be consistent. There is also the small matter of the game hanging at dusk and dawn when it saves. I know the saving operation takes system resources, but can this not be parallelized or even made optional? Perhaps let us choose when to save, rather than autosaving? Maybe autosave only at dawn or make both separate options. Again, this is not a game-breaker, but feels intrusive and takes me "out of the moment".The difficulty needs to scale somehow. Before I bought the game, I played the demo and died very quickly, losing interest almost immediately. I'm not sure why, but something drove me to give it a second try probably two weeks later, and I'm very glad I did. That said, I've only lost one game in the past three days since I purchased. That's all it took to get the hang of things and I feel like I still might die in the first few days, but once I've passed a certain point, I'm indestructible. I'm at probably day 60 or 70 something with my entire world explored and plenty of resources and all without farming. I have a couple farm plots that I don't even touch because I have more fun roaming about from one camp to another and I find plenty of food that way. Kill four Beefalo and I'm set for nearly two weeks. I do not think the answer is a flat increase in the difficulty, because the first few days can certainly be a challenge. I think it has to scale, either with time or at "milestones". For example, maybe stumbling upon certain discoveries can trigger an increase in hostile activity or a series of difficult events of sorts.At first I was terrified at night. The creepy "fear of the unknown" factor and spooky ambiance in this game had me gripping my mouse and staring unblinkingly, waiting for some horrible creature to emerge from the night. Now that I've realized my campfire is safe, I almost want to go make a sandwich while I wait out the night. I literally check facebook and read the forums as I await sunrise. Maybe not in the super early game, but at some point there needs to be things that are brazen enough to attack me in the safety of my firelight, otherwise nighttime is no scarier than daytime, and boring.Speaking of brazen creeps, we need more intrinsically hostile monsters. There are far too few things that attack unprovoked: spiders don't always attack, frogs and tentacles can easily be avoided, and the unseen night horrors are afraid of the light. Right now I'm feeling a bit like the only thing that can kill me is my own mistakes. As long as I scout my camp locations well and plan for sufficient resources and tools for my trips, I'm invincible.I really (read: REALLY) like what you've done with risk/reward scenarios, like Beefalo being the best food source, but dangerous to hunt and the possibility of ghosts hiding in the graves, but I feel like there is so much more design space awaiting here. Give my choices potential longer-term consequences. For example: perhaps rather than immediately spawning a ghost when I choose to desecrate the final resting place of those less fortunate, there is some chance that they, in one form or another, seek vengeance in the night. Maybe the ghost/ghoul comes to my camp looking for the things I've taken and, if I've ground them up for science, attempts to take recompense in a pound of flesh. And maybe it could wait a random number of nights or even take that long to find me so as to be unpredictable. This would bring back that mouse-clutching, unblinking, not-checking-facebook fear. And maybe it never comes :)There are many specific examples I'd like to see added, but I'm pretty sure they've all been covered in this or other threads. I agree with most of what wild asked for in his thread except for leveling. Please, please, please, do not turn this game into a grind-fest. You already have my money, but that would kill it for me. Acceptable alternatives might be things like the beard-buffs others have discussed or perhaps discoverable inventions that can't simply be bought with RP. However, I do like the idea of each character evolving differently. I haven't played the others, so I don't know how much of this is already implemented, but it would be cool if at least some subset of inventions were unique to certain characters so that they each had their own style.Anyway, this has gone on too long. If I think of anything else I'll be sure to add (if you're interested in me speaking more, haha). Please don't take this as anything but constructive criticism. You guys have made something awesome here and I would't say so if I didn't believe it.

Edited by burfl

• Developer

Speaking of brazen creeps, we need more intrinsically hostile monsters.

I couldn't agree more! There are some nasties coming up in the long term schedule that will bring increase mid-term difficulty. The tree monster was the first taste. I'm not going to warn you all about the next.Mwa ha ha ha. Ha.

LadyD, the Treeguard is a total pushover once you know the secret. I'm absolutely serious here so don't open the spoiler unless you want his scariness ruined.

Pan flute. Done. He goes back to sleep and doesn't reawaken unless you chop him or a nearby tree. Reeds are in the swamps.

• Developer

LadyD, the Treeguard is a total pushover once you know the secret. I'm absolutely serious here so don't open the spoiler unless you want his scariness ruined.

Pan flute. Done. He goes back to sleep and doesn't reawaken unless you chop him or a nearby tree. Reeds are in the swamps.

There is another, cheaper way. Keep looking. :)

I tried setting fire to them. I tried running towards pigs. All the pigs died. I tried running past bees- they ignore them.Only thing i havent tried is mandrakes. Although...now I think about it ever since I imported them i dont think i had a tree monster.... Maybe... i wonder....

There is another, cheaper way. Keep looking. :)

Challenge accepted, sir :)

I have experimented quite a bit with this guy, so apparently I need to really think outside the box. I tried setting him on fire and even appeasing him by planting pine cones within his sight. I really thought the pine cones would work, but I figured he was just a fan of music, haha.

EDIT: Ya know what would be terrifying? Something that stalks me. I'm a big fan of the survival thriller genre of films (like The Grey, Frozen, The Reef, etc.) and that seems like it would fit perfectly in this game.

Edited by burfl

• Developer

I think I tuned it so that 8 pigs can take out a medium treemonster. The big guy, however, is considerably stronger. I'm not sure off the top of my head how many pigs he can chew through. Probably a lot.