Back when Klei added the Curse of Moon Quay they added in a secret unlockable character named Wonkey, who in its Original Format- Worked Pretty GREAT. You unlocked this character by attacking and Killing Pirate Raid Monkey and Obtaining their Cursed Necklaces.

This concept was hated by everyone who can’t handle some actual Uncompromising in their survival game & it Was Nerfed to heck and back- First off, the Raids themselves are now Near non-existent unless your super close to the Moon Quay Island.

Secondly.. now to get rid of your Accursed Trinkets it’s as simple as just Intentionally Dying, rather than the harsher penalty of needing to give the monkey queen bananas so she reverts you back to normal.

This was done for the players who felt the curse was too punishing to the point Klei made it a laughable afterthought.. however- there’s a MASSIVE Flaw in this I’m not sure anyone has caught onto yet.

in the ORIGINAL Form I could’ve stayed as Wonkey for as long as I wanted to until I decided to go give Banana to Moon Quay Queen and Revert back this was GREAT for People who just wanted to unlock and play as an adorable Monkey.

In it’s BABY REMAKE Form- Now if you happen to “Die” as Wonkey (whom you actually think is cute and fun to play as) you Revert back to being a filthy Human/Plant/Spider/Robot/Fish or Whatever non-Monkey thing you once were. Meaning every time you want to be Wonkey you now need to go seek out pirates (which are now near non-existent) and kill even more Monkeys, just to obtain the “Curse” (Aka secret unlockable character) again.

This is Dumb and it makes me lose a lot of faith in Klei to not only deliver fun survival based challenges… but it also makes even playing as Wonkey an absolute Chore to “Keep” as opposed to its original implementation.

I can think of several Reasons why I would WANT to Be Wonkey- #1 I’m playing as Wes so Wonkey would actually be a Buff, 2- I want the Pirate Monkeys to see me as a friend so they don’t attack and rob me blind while trying to bring resources to/take resources off Moon Quay. 3- I just like playing as an adorable Fluffy Monkey

Klei should add a way to pick to Spawn into the game as Wonkey from Day 1 after you’ve unlocked him/her for the first time. Treat them as any other playable character.

And give us an OPTION to choose if we want to Reverse the Curse after dying. An on screen prompt that says “You’ve died- Would you like to reverse the curse or continue with too much monkey business?”

BOOM I just made it so unlocking, and more importantly continuing to enjoy being the secret playable Monkey character is no longer such a complete pain in the Tail to do.

Please please PLEASE consider this…

I spent many hours with my Buddy playing as Wes to help him unlock Wonkey, only to loose his buff the moment he died as Wonkey.

Its Annoying… and the original way was much Better. Please find a better way to “Keep” Wonkey.

Oh hell yeah, wonkey is incredibly fun to play as, but the negatives really, really out weight the positives, maybe there's an option on character creation to lock in monkey mode with that character, maybe with minor changes depending on which one you pick? 

I just love the monkey noises to be honest. 

Adding Wonkey as a real character you can just pick?  Sure.

But the rest of your post is a bit nonsense.  You can easily stay Wonkey after death, just go pick up those cursed trinkets again.  They stay with your loot when you die.

Also "If I'm Wes then becoming Wonkey is a buff" lol using celestial portal to change characters is literally the same thing XD

tbh - Pretending the problems with monkey raids were that people didn't want a hard game sounds purposefully disingenuous.  The monkey raids were bad, not because they were challenging but because they were bad.  There was nothing fun or interactive about them, they just happened and were very annoying.  Playing it off as some awesome, challenging mechanic that we are deprived of is coating that with so much sugar its looks like a ski slope.

I think a rework to the raids would be a much better way to go then to just turn them off, and I wish Klei would come back and dedicate more time to these half-baked mechanics to make them great instead of patching on ANOTHER half baked, fake challenge...

7 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Now if you happen to “Die” as Wonkey (whom you actually think is cute and fun to play as) you Revert back to being a filthy Human/Plant/Spider/Robot/Fish or Whatever non-Monkey thing you once were. Meaning every time you want to be Wonkey you now need to go seek out pirates (which are now near non-existent) and kill even more Monkeys, just to obtain the “Curse” (Aka secret unlockable character) again.

No, you just have to go back to your corpse where the cursed trinklet should be.

7 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

it also makes even playing as Wonkey an absolute Chore to “Keep” as opposed to its original implementation.

The only annoyance I felt was when I died on multiplayer server, someone will innoncently go near your corpse and even if they get only 1 trinklet, they'll have to die to drop it since you need your 10 trinklets (and lets not talk about when you're on a raid boss fight).

7 hours ago, Shosuko said:

tbh - Pretending the problems with monkey raids were that people didn't want a hard game sounds purposefully disingenuous.  The monkey raids were bad, not because they were challenging but because they were bad.  There was nothing fun or interactive about them, they just happened and were very annoying.  Playing it off as some awesome, challenging mechanic that we are deprived of is coating that with so much sugar its looks like a ski slope.

Nah people are terrible at dst and got wrecked by the monkey raids hence the nerfs.

Monkey raids are/were fun! People on the forums just want dst to become Animal crossing. With an easy life mega basing with easy to get resources and no challenges whatsoever. 

The worst thing ive noticed is people ask for challenges on the forums and when they get them. They cry that its too hard, klei goes "oh well we tried to give them what they want" then proceeds to nerf the challenge into easy mode oblivion.

Happens every. single. time.

42 minutes ago, Gashzer said:

Nah people are terrible at dst and got wrecked by the monkey raids hence the nerfs.

Monkey raids are/were fun! People on the forums just want dst to become Animal crossing. With an easy life mega basing with easy to get resources and no challenges whatsoever. 

The worst thing ive noticed is people ask for challenges on the forums and when they get them. They cry that its too hard, klei goes "oh well we tried to give them what they want" then proceeds to nerf the challenge into easy mode oblivion.

Happens every. single. time.

Can't tell if sarcasm or not, so I'm gonna assume yes lol

13 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

This concept was hated by everyone who can’t handle some actual Uncompromising in their survival game

Or maybe it was hated because the monkeys destroyed your masts for literally no reason? I'd say the monkey raids are still in a bad spot because you can't really kite the monkeys as they all just jump you at once and the small boat makes it impossible to dodge their attacks.

The raids are a bit too rare a bit further from the island though, until they don't rework how the monkeys attack while on your boat I don't want the frequency changed either way.

12 hours ago, Shosuko said:

Pretending the problems with monkey raids were that people didn't want a hard game sounds purposefully disingenuous.  The monkey raids were bad, not because they were challenging but because they were bad.  There was nothing fun or interactive about them, they just happened and were very annoying.  Playing it off as some awesome, challenging mechanic that we are deprived of is coating that with so much sugar its looks like a ski slope.

They could also happen literally anywhere so with them being not fun and pretty griefy feeling on top of it it just added a big reason for people to stop interacting with the ocean which already struggles pretty hard to attract players with its 85% barren boring nothingness.

I think the monkey queen should have an option to turn you to Wonkey without trinkets if you choose to, basically making you immune to trinkets and friendly to the pirates (and maybe even to the normal Splumonkeys).

Maybe if you do some fetch quests for the queen as Wonkey (like the friendship quests for pearl) and try to wonkey permanently, the pirates will even share some loot once and then with you (like pigs gift things to Wilba)and  you will learn as Wonkey only, some better sailing perks (EG: rowing better, fixing the boat better, seeing further while on a boat, having less hunger drain while on a boat).
I also think the monkey queen should sell boat parts and cannon ammo to humans that pacified her with bananas, and to the full wonkey she should also sell healing items, flares, gunpowder, sunken chest marking maps, etc. The currency accepted could vary on the items you are buying and it could be stuff pirates would be interested in (gold, gems, weapons)

So if you want to play Wonkey from the start and live the pirate life you have to actively seek the moon quay island, turn to wonkey via trinkets, deal with the monkey queen, and then become wonkey permanently.

If you changed using the queen, you can then stop playing wonkey through celestial portal. If you want to return to be full Wonkey once more, you have to turn to wonkey via trinkets again and just talk to the queen to remove the trinkets but stay monkey.

And since we are in the pirates subject I’d still like them to evolve over time, like after X amount of time their boats will be armored and they will shoot with cannons at you instead of jumping on your boat right away (unless you pacified the queen with bananas or a Wonkey is present on the boat). Maybe the radious of their attacks should be closer to the island, and they should not appear if you are actively fighting crab king or malbatross.
They should also appear in the middle of nowhere (away from the island) but their behavior will be different: they will slowly try to get away from you and defend only if you attack them, because they will be carrying a closed sunken chest. So when these pirates appear you have the option of letting them be, or try to steal their loot.

final notes: I don’t think a cursed character should keep getting trinkets after a stack is full in their inventory. Sunken chest loot table should be much better. And cursed trinkets should disappear if they stay on the ground or the sea more than X amount of time.

I'd like it if you could play as wonkey with Wilbur's monkey noises. Doesn't care about the cursed trinkets because... it's wonkey. Playing Wes for the "Wilbur Experience" is ruined once you investigate something and start pantomiming as a monkey instead of make grunts.

1 hour ago, Evelo said:

I'd like it if you could play as wonkey with Wilbur's monkey noises. Doesn't care about the cursed trinkets because... it's wonkey. Playing Wes for the "Wilbur Experience" is ruined once you investigate something and start pantomiming as a monkey instead of make grunts.

Is this a thing now?  Sounds kinda interesting...  Rush moon quay island and live as monke.  I think a Woodie start would be best b/c you can goose to the island, just pre-fab the things you'll need once you get there to start basing.  Probably the safest place on the server from griefers XD

Sounds like a great pub server activity.

I'd probably try to build a shrine to Lucy though.  Even though Woodie can relieve himself of the curse, Lucy still deserves love.

19 hours ago, Shosuko said:

Adding Wonkey as a real character you can just pick?  Sure.

But the rest of your post is a bit nonsense.  You can easily stay Wonkey after death, just go pick up those cursed trinkets again.  They stay with your loot when you die.

Also "If I'm Wes then becoming Wonkey is a buff" lol using celestial portal to change characters is literally the same thing XD

I think a rework to the raids would be a much better way to go then to just turn them off, and I wish Klei would come back and dedicate more time to these half-baked mechanics to make them great instead of patching on ANOTHER half baked, fake challenge...

Maybe for you it was a half-baked challenge, but for me (Wendy Main) getting stuck as Wonkey with a Whole bunch of easily obtainable trinkets (way more than 10 by the way if your Wendy..) took me 3-5 real world hours to obtain, grow.. and trade enough bananas to the queen to revert back to being Wendy & regain access to Abigail.

But the thread isn’t about how challenging the pirate raids were, it’s about how people complaining about them AND the Wonkey Curse has made it much harder to Become.. and Continue to Enjoy playing as Wonkey.

Original: Pirate Raids happened frequently on the ocean, kill enough of them, you become Monkey, Monkey form persists even through Death & the Only Way to remove your Trinkets was to Trade Banana to Monkey Queen.

Reworked: Pirate Raids now Nearly Non-Existent unless your Super Close to Moon Quay Island or fire a Hostile Flare to summon them Yourself, Kill them, Become Monkey, Remove Curse by ignoring the trade banana mechanic with monkey Queen and instead: Just die out at Sea on a raft that will sink with your Body & your Trinkets. 

The original way made the Trinkets Exclusively Yours, you couldn’t get rid of them in any other way but trading to the Queen.

the Reworked Way actually made it easier to grief other players by intentionally dropping these cursed Trinkets somewhere so you can “Wonkey Bomb” other players into becoming Monkey.

Rather you thought the original implementation was a survival challenge or not is irrelevant.

What I’m saying is that because people complained those raids were too hard, too frequent, and getting rid of the Wonkey Curse was too much of a chore for them: We got it Nerfed to a point that it’s in an Unenjoyable, Griefer Friendly state right now.

And since the thread is about unlocking, and getting to continue to play as Wonkey (that adorable fuzzy monkey..) I think Klei needs to continue to “Tweak” this content and the way it’s implemented into the game: Rather than just Nerfing it into oblivion till it’s in a poor state like it is now.

34 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

But the thread isn’t about how challenging the pirate raids were, it’s about how people complaining about them

What I’m saying is that because people complained those raids were too hard, too frequent,

You brought it up, with some mighty spiteful loaded language too.

21 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

This concept was hated by everyone who can’t handle some actual Uncompromising in their survival game

If you don't want a response to that line, then leave it out of your post.  You can easily critique the current system and suggest your changes without that remark.

tbh - there is a reason the "uNcOmPrOmIsInG mOd" people were disliked.  They constantly accused people of just wanting easy mode, specifically to the exclusion of playstyles they deemed casual or inferior.  They even took to trolling people who used strategies they disliked lol  Them calling people whiners, a lot of pot calling the kettle black ya know?

If you can't make your idea appealing without neg'ing on other people, maybe rethink your concept...

Yeah but.. simply dying to remove a curse that’s entire designed existence was to trade an item to an NPC to get her to remove “portions” of your curse at a time?

I mean.. I’m on Xbox, all my friends are on Xbox, I have no relation to anyone creating PC Mods.. I wouldn’t know what an Uncompromising Mod was like.

But what I do know is this Curse went from being able to easily obtain & keep trinkets. to NOW being more of a “Challenge” just to keep your curse active at all and continue enjoying playing as cute Monkey.

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Yeah but.. simply dying to remove a curse that’s entire designed existence was to trade an item to an NPC to get her to remove “portions” of your curse at a time?

I mean.. I’m on Xbox, all my friends are on Xbox, I have no relation to anyone creating PC Mods.. I wouldn’t know what an Uncompromising Mod was like.

But what I do know is this Curse went from being able to easily obtain & keep trinkets. to NOW being more of a “Challenge” just to keep your curse active at all and continue enjoying playing as cute Monkey.

The irony of complaining about how its a challenge to do the thing you want after that line tho.................................... 

The core of your suggestion being that you find it challenging to do X thing, and want it made easier for you lol

I am also a bit unhappy about the current state of this content; I don't think that pirate raids needed to he nerfed, if anything I wouldn't mind more difficulty. As far as Wonkey goes, I would really like the ability to permanently play a monkey character. If they'd add Wilbur into the game or rework Wonkey as a real character (while keeping a monkey "curse" as progression for other characters) I wouldn't mind the way that it currently is. I just really want a DST Monkey character that has unique interactions with the monkeys of the world similar to how Wurt and Webber interact with their factions.

6 hours ago, Mattwalt said:

I am also a bit unhappy about the current state of this content; I don't think that pirate raids needed to he nerfed, if anything I wouldn't mind more difficulty. As far as Wonkey goes, I would really like the ability to permanently play a monkey character. If they'd add Wilbur into the game or rework Wonkey as a real character (while keeping a monkey "curse" as progression for other characters) I wouldn't mind the way that it currently is. I just really want a DST Monkey character that has unique interactions with the monkeys of the world similar to how Wurt and Webber interact with their factions.

It’s not really even a “Curse” Anymore, and that’s one of my main problems with it- see originally I was (very easily as Wendy) Able to obtain 20-25 cursed trinkets, and since they only stack to 10.. I had stacks of Unremovable Trinkets filling up 3 of my Inventory slots, and the only way to Remove them was to slowly trade Bananas to the Monkey Queen where she would remove “portions” of this curse at a time I don’t remember how many necklaces she actually removed I just know I had to spend a lot of time NOT playing as Wendy and not having access to Abigail to grow & trade enough bananas to this Queen to reverse my Curse, because even when you died.. you kept your trinkets and stayed a Monkey.

NOW- If a Wendy Player gets 25+ Cursed Trinkets, all she has to do is Die Somewhere secluded (on a grass raft in the Ocean) and all the trinkets will sink. You can revive with a Meat Effigy, Touch Stone, the Florid Postern if on Endless Mode, Another Player Telltale Heart, but when you revive you’ll have ditched your 25+ Trinkets and no longer be Wonkey.

if I was a Vindictive Player I’d go around as Wendy Stacking as many of these as I possibly can and then just dying so they end up dropped on the map for poor souls to wander upon in multiplayer, but I’m not that cruel.. I’m just stating that now that the Trinkets do not stay permanently in your OWN Inventory until you trade with the Moon Quay Queen, that you can now easily leave them scattered about the Map to sucker other players into picking up Your Trinkets.

It actually felt like a “Curse” when you couldn’t get rid of them and they ate up inventory slots, and prevented you from using your characters special abilities like Abigail & remain to be a monkey even after dying and reviving.

It is NOT a Curse anymore now that you can just “Ditch” the trinkets by dying & reverting back to human, making the whole Trade to Remove curse feature absolutely 100% pointless..

Now instead of being a Curse, Wonkey is simply a silly Easter egg playable character, but the way you unlock Wonkey has been made harder due to the lessened frequency of raids at sea, and the fact that Dying can now remove your curse.

This thread is very exclusively for people who actually WANT TO PLAY AS WONKEY.. & is to address concerns with how becoming, and remaining to be Wonkey is a pain in the Monkey Tail as opposed to its original implementation.

11 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

This thread is very exclusively for people who actually WANT TO PLAY AS WONKEY.. & is to address concerns with how becoming, and remaining to be Wonkey is a pain in the Monkey Tail as opposed to its original implementation.

Only method i guess is best is picking woodie, goose form to find monkey island then use moose form charging attack to kill monkeys...

Heres how i would fix pirate raids: 

Remove the rate at which pirate raids spawn based on proximity to the island.

Add a warning similar to hound attacks and Deerclops for an incoming raid.

Add a new pirate sail that makes pirates neutral to your boat.

Add naturally spawned pirate boats in random areas of the ocean.

Add interactions for pirate boats recovering sunken treasures. (player can interrupt and steal the loot)

Add another pirate faction (maybe based on crocodiles/gators)

Have these two factions be hostile toward one another

Make the Moonquay island a biome which these two factions are constanly fighting for control with the losing faction having a smaller island nearby

Give unique island properties for the non monkey faction as well as a Gator King when they are in possession of the island. 

I want to bump this thread because I have a Friend who believe it or not.. actually enjoys playing as Wonkey, however this friend is pretty new at the game and they die a lot so it’s hard for them to unlock & continue to enjoy playing as Wonkey.

If it’s not too much trouble to ask: I’d like to suggest two possible ways to solve this-

#1- and my preferred method: Once a player unlocks Wonkey & they appear in the players Wardrobe/Compendium they should remain unlocked like a secret playable character (same as how you could unlock characters in the original DS,SW,HAM) this would allow my friend to continue playing as the funny little Monkey by simply selecting them as a character choice.

#2 add world Gen setting toggles that let the player choose how the Moon Quay curse behaves, currently you kill monkeys, you get trinkets.. and you can just die to lose those trinkets, but in the Original release for this update your Trinkets remained with you even through Dying and the only way to get rid of them was by trading Bananas to the Monkey Queen. Option 2 would restore some of the original intended challenge of “The Curse” While allowing players to remain Wonkey for however long as they feel like, it would ALSO remove some of the Trolling that the current method allows (Aka players gathering trinkets and then dying in the world somewhere to leave behind what I now call “Wonkey Bombs” to forcefully change other players into funny Monkey.)

Eitherway I really feel like some more work could be done to improve the Wonkey experience.

Archived