Why isn't there a "Geometric Placement" for consoles yet?

That, I think should not even explain

Although if the klei people wanted (I doubt it) to add it with some object, it could be in cartography (it would have a more important use and it is not difficult to do) and it could be using a blue blueprint and a pen (a kind of concept map to create ) and when you have it in your inventory you move and see grids... It would be a crazy idea but it would be a nice way to officially introduce this mod (or just copy it and that's it lmao)

10 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

Yea honestly. This shouldn't be a mod to begin with.

This basic QoL should be actually PART OF THE GAME.

Exactly, some try to defend it by saying it's a survival game but come on, it's also sandbox and the games that are similar to it (Minecraft, Terraria) have a totally grid...

28 minutes ago, gamehun20 said:

those are grid based by default

That doesn't take away the point that the game should have a grid somehow... Plus set piece and most game structures are centered... And just our creations being crooked is stupid

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Can’t you just hold a pitchfork to see a grid while placing stuff? I mean.. I genuinely don’t get what’s so special about this mod to begin with.

One example I can think of (I'm sure there is a bunch of them) that kinda goes beyond aesthetics and into function is flowers. They have a decent size hitbox or whatever for their size, on top of quite a few different skins. In my current world I'm in the process of placing staggered rows of flowers within a large fenced in area, and on the one side I've completed I was unable to finish the last row of flowers because somewhere along the way my rows started drifting and I didn't notice. Halfway through there wasn't enough room between the fence and the previous row of flowers to continue the last row.

And while you can kind of use the pitchfork to place things more or less perfectly centered on a square, it gets trickier when things are placed off center of the square, especially when it's suppose to line up perfectly with something else off screen.

The one issue I think we'd have on consoles is even if we could see exactly where something would be placed it would be a bit harder to actually get it exactly where we wanted it as we have to move our character to move the placement. I'm guessing PC can place structures and things independent of movement (I could be wrong). I have trouble (maybe it's a PS4 thing, maybe it's a me thing) making the smallest possible movements to adjust the placement of things.

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Can’t you just hold a pitchfork to see a grid while placing stuff? I mean.. I genuinely don’t get what’s so special about this mod to begin with.

On top of being able to place symmetrically every building / tree / plant etc

It also makes crop tilling actually bareable and not a agonizing ordeal (Cause yea i love getting my tilled spots constantly deleted cause i missed by one stinking f****** pixel while trying to place another one while trying to make the best out of the garden tile space - none of that s*** here perfect grid tilling without any issues)

EDIT: And this mod also shows you where you can and cannot place / plant stuff and this prevents "misfiring" and unequipping what you tried to place cause some dumb bird landed for a moment in front of where you tried to plant/build 

It's a simple yet effective QoL

8 hours ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

I'm guessing PC can place structures and things independent of movement

On PC it's also tied to movement, but in more loose way: one selects a structure, points place to build it with mouse and character builds the thing where mouse is pointing; if character is too far from that place, they walk to the place where character would be in range of building on the spot where mouse points. That being said, sometimes it's possible to build inaccessible structure -  like chest too close to cave/ruins pillar: range of building exceeds range of interacting a bit, and the only ways to delete the thing are to use deconstruction stuff or burn it with fire staff.

9 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Can’t you just hold a pitchfork to see a grid while placing stuff?

Except one could aim for hexagonal placement. You know that it's the most efficient way to place circles of the same size on plane, right? Building something like bee box field in range of single ice flingomatic or drying rack field in the same conditions goes with hexagonal grid much better than with square grid because of that reason, and also because hexagon lines with circle much better than square does with circle. On top of that one might want rectangle instead of square: on boat with certain choice of structures it matches hexagon efficiency for the same set but falls behind square alignment. Another case is filling plane with objects of different building size, bee boxes and flowers being very peculiar case: bee box requires to be 7 ticks away from object to be built, flower requires 4; but if one builds bee boxes first with 8 ticks between them on hexagonal grid, one can fill flowers in that grid on exact spots and create very symmetrical efficient setup that can be translated indefinitely on the plane. It's also convenient to count flowers and bee boxes, add and subtract to desired ratio of flowers and bee boxes while planning things: 1 bee box can be substituted with 1 flower and vice versa (until grid becomes "saturated" with bee boxes, i.e. every bee box is framed by 6 nearby flowers and there are no places where flowers have more than 3 nearest neighbor flowers).

Edit: I forgot to mention farming. Hexagonal grid with some offsets in relation to tile can be used to plant 10 crop combo symmetrically, and that placement could be translated indefinitely on the plane. Geometric placement doesn't allow it as one can't tune offset, as well as grid size continuously, but seems like modders of "Snapping Tills" mod did that at some point. It could also be worthwhile addition to the base game. Of course, all mentioned above is possible to do without mods, but time required to do it and probability of unnoticed mistake just skyrockets.

11 hours ago, Deimos85 said:

They should itemize popular pc mods on consoles to give those players access to them.

Examples:

Spectacles that show detailed information on items and creatures. 

A hard hat for grid building.

I would be great, there is already a hat that gives you detailed information of the crops (if you have previously achieved the clear information) so it would not be rare either

By they way, why does everyone talk about these mods ported to consoles only? It would be great to have this on PC as well as vanilla feature, and there is no reason to discriminate PC players like it occurs currently with emote wheel (there is a mod for that on PC, but this situation is strange in the first place). Or is it an attempt to make console version artificially more appealing than PC version from the viewpoint of developers?

Edit: I mean that as long as work was done to implement emote wheel on one of the versions of the game, aside from not implementing it on purpose for the other platform there really is no reason to not implement it. Unless somehow PC port of emote wheel would be very different code-wise for some reason. I don't intend to start usual war "console vs PC".

While I don't think we need to itemize Geometric Placement, I wholeheartedly agree that it should have been in basegame a loooong time ago. I never play without it or Combined Status (with player temperature turned off), as those are the only two mods that I think are must-haves for this game.

8 minutes ago, Echsrick said:

i hate that mod, people litteraly go hostile on me for not using it, i dont need it but they force me to do it, despite my placements being good aswell

they can add a setting to turn it on and off like the grid in terraria.... but makes 0 sense to have a building game with 0 building assistance.

I think DS is the only game that lacks of one of all the games i have tried

18 minutes ago, Moonatik said:

What is the condition to have all pc mods on console ? 

Buy Microsoft/Sony & Nintendo?

the reason console games don’t get mods is because our console platforms are licensed by these big juggernaut companies, companies whose goal is to make money… and therefore anything that would be a completely free PC Mod ends up being a paid DLC for console gamers.

In addition to that: Mobile games ran through Apple/Android also don’t have these no mods rules.. and one only needs to play Minecraft for 2.5 seconds on PC or IPhone to visually SEE the differences..

The mobile version of Minecraft has a built-in Skin Editor where you can download or create your own skins and use them in game, the CONSOLE versions can only use skins from the character creator using a very select handful of clothing choices/customization options and largely locked behind buying as DLC. (not the same as the skin editor) in addition to that, you can also download world mash ups and textures packs that on Mobile for free that either aren’t available on Console, or only available through paid DLC.

Now before I go way off topic of your question: These “Paid DLCs” are In place to do a number of things, 1- and most obvious to fill the Wallets of the Console heads (Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo) 2- to ensure the quality and age restrictions of said content is “safe” for the community. & 3- To push players who are on consoles to have more incentive to abandon console and play on PC instead where there is no Juggernaut “Platform Head”

PC Vs Console gaming each comes with their pros & cons, and I won’t get into all of that here on these forums..

but personally I don’t think it’s fair that I pay 15$ per month just to access the online features of my games, and yet somehow Pc games are sold at a cheaper price, AND get more content eventually through Mod Support.

that said some of the BEST console content and I do mean absolute BEST started out as Mods on PC that the games Developers liked so much that they ended up putting into their own games officially.

Some examples would be 75% of the maps in Ark Survival Evolved.

The Coldstream (or whatever it was called) DLC for Left 4 Dead 2.

the entire video game called “Sonic Mania”

You get the idea.. in conclusion- Mods aren’t completely “Evil” & shouldn’t exist, because as you can see they’ve lead to some really great things!

I just think it’s highly unfair PC can use mods but Xbox/PS/Nintendo can not..

but personally I don’t think it’s fair that I pay 15$ per month just to access the online features of my games, and yet somehow Pc games are sold at a cheaper price, AND get more content eventually through Mod Support.

I didn't even know that you had to pay monthly to play online.. That is literally insane and it is so greedy, I don't understand why so many people keep buying consoles, there's literally almost no advantages that console has over PC and you are limited to so few games compared to PC.

Console companies are literally doing everything anti-consumer while PC users can't be controlled and exploited like that as one company can't monopolize the market, whether it is hardware or software.

just think it’s highly unfair PC can use mods but Xbox/PS/Nintendo can not..

So I don't understand why you are still on console if you believe that and it isn't unfair, why should PC users be punished if console companies don't allow you to have mods? If PC users can have it because no one can control what they can or can't install on their own machine and Microsoft or Sony requires you to pay for any additions to the game, it isn't PC user's problem and we can't do anything about it.

If you asked me to play DST, Dwarf Fortress, Rimworld, Terraria, Minecraft, Skyrim,  CDDA, CIV games or literally any other game that has an amazing modding community and told me to try them without mods, I wouldn't be able to enjoy them nearly as much and it could even cut my future playtime in half if not even more, there could be a possibility of me quitting the game and not looking back.

An active modding community could double the playtime hours of a game, in exceptional cases it can add even much more than developers ever did for the game. 

16 hours ago, Deimos85 said:

A hard hat for grid building.

I don't think they need to add a new item for it. If it was added to items it could be very well improved upon to the closest thing that currently exist which is the pitchfork grid.

I'm still more of a fan of the idea that if they add geometric placement, it's an optional thing you can quickly toggle on and off independently of items, much like how to the mod works.

7 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I'm still more of a fan of the idea that if they add geometric placement, it's an optional thing you can quickly toggle on and off independently of items, much like how to the mod works.

The mod also has this quirk that the grid can sometimes not align properly so you need to recenter it with a button.

42 minutes ago, 00petar00 said:

why should PC users be punished if console companies don't allow you to have mods?

I don’t even understand where you got that from my post, lol.. but you got it wrong, Console should have access to Mods, and PC shouldn’t be impacted at all unless they wanna start charging them 15$ a month to play online.. Xbox, PSN, Nintendo all have monthly subscription services so it baffles my mind how PC gets away with not having them.

(and in the end if that means better products and services for all platforms then by all means, please start getting monthly subscriptions too!)

DST is a particularly Peculiar case, because not only have the developers on several occasions talked about & shared links to mods, but they’ve also gone beyond that by patching unofficial content mods, that in all honesty. Should’ve been the mod creators job to fix and not theirs.

Nonetheless- that’s just an example of how above & beyond Klei is willing to go to support not just the fans of their game, but also the modding community for it.

And while admit-ably it does “sting” just a little bit to see them mention or bug fix for things like Island Adventures & Re-Forged knowing as a console player I’ll never have those things unless A: Buy a PC, or B: Pray they add them into the game in some sort of “Official” capacity at some point.

And I believe it goes without saying but A LOT of DSTs content was inspired by or direct copy/paste of mods.

Examples like Inventory auto stacking (a feature that I didn’t see Mentioned anywhere in that MASSIVE DS Solo beta they got going on right now..) and Quick Drop (along with some character rework abilities) all came from Mods first.

As I said in my previous post- Mods aren’t “Evil” it just doesn’t make me particularly happy that Consoles don’t have access to them.

7 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I just think it’s highly unfair PC can use mods but Xbox/PS/Nintendo can not..

I'm not sure it's just Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo. It's a very limited example but I know the Farm Simulator game before the newest one had a mod store in-game on PS4, and while some of the mods cost money there was plenty of meaningful free stuff available. I'm pretty sure Skyrim has a mod store on consoles now also, but I haven't played in so long that I could be misremembering.

5 hours ago, 00petar00 said:

I don't understand why so many people keep buying consoles, there's literally almost no advantages that console has over PC and you are limited to so few games compared to PC.

I can't speak for anyone else, but the reason I've always gone for consoles was not having to worry about whether my console was going to run newer games. I bought my PS4 new like 5 or 6 years ago for $400 (I think, plus tax). Even if at the time I could get a comparable PC for the same-ish price, that PC certainly wouldn't be powerful enough now. At least not to just buy and run games without worrying about specs. I know I could upgrade PC hardware to keep up with the times, but that's an extra cost on top of what I'm sure is a far greater upfront cost.

That being said, I most likely won't be purchasing the next generation of consoles. A PC will most certainly be my next gaming device. It just won't happen anytime soon unfortunately.

Archived