Why isn't there a "Geometric Placement" for consoles yet?

Wow, I'm glad there are so many comments supporting the topic! And those who don't are fine anyway... There are people who play to have a hard time, to have fun with their friends and more. But something obvious is that the game encourages decoration with various objects and structures, which does not have coherence since it does not have a way to use these objects and structures correctly, it is simple but obvious. Yes or if the game should have implemented it from day 1, if you like to play crazy there is a button to deactivate it

PC VS consoles: why are there people who play on consoles? Simple, some consoles offer different comforts, resolution and above all, the price, so don't say the typical "ThEre are tHeN pLaY on PC" if you port a game it is to be enjoyed in another medium, not to be a faulty and bad version with which you will inevitably have to resort to the PC version

Why are there differences between pc and console?: Let me explain, on console the "Gesture Wheel" "Quick drop, formerly" the option to activate the other languages of the game (this is honestly ridiculous, you can only change the language on consoles and on pc only with mods despite each language being included) and many more stupid differences, why not make a pleasant experience in each medium and on consoles with technical differences nothing else?

10 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I don’t even understand where you got that from my post, lol.. but you got it wrong, Console should have access to Mods, and PC shouldn’t be impacted at all unless they wanna start charging them 15$ a month to play online.. Xbox, PSN, Nintendo all have monthly subscription services so it baffles my mind how PC gets away with not having them.

Consoles should have access to mods but you can only blame the company for not supporting mods. Its not good when someone has a monopoly, that's why they can charge 15$ for you to play games.

Also PC users have many more options when it comes to cheap games. Why would you pay 15$ monthly when there are so many amazing games that only cost 15-60$ one time purchase and you can spend thousands of hours or you can just play valorant,CS:GO, league of legends, DOTA, CDDA for free.

Many online games are switching to free to play model while increasing micro transactions and P2W because players aren't going to pay for a game that they may not like when there are so many free games now.

There's also piracy, almost any game that can be played singleplayer can be found for free and this can't be stopped as any software that is used to try to slow down the speed at which game is getting cracked will make the game much worse as it will cause bugs and optimization issues, people always complain when developers add such software to their games.

5 hours ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

I can't speak for anyone else, but the reason I've always gone for consoles was not having to worry about whether my console was going to run newer games. I bought my PS4 new like 5 or 6 years ago for $400 (I think, plus tax). Even if at the time I could get a comparable PC for the same-ish price, that PC certainly wouldn't be powerful enough now. At least not to just buy and run games without worrying about specs. I know I could upgrade PC hardware to keep up with the times, but that's an extra cost on top of what I'm sure is a far greater upfront cost.

It is a worthwhile investment to buy a budget gaming PC for under 1000$ that can run 99.9% of the games on the market on high settings. RTX 3060 or RX6600 GPU (300-360$), Ryzen 5 5600 processor (140$), motherboard A520 (90$), your choice when it comes to hard drives (500GB SSD and 1TB HDD will be around 90$), 2x8 RAM is like (60-80$), 500w power supply (30-50$) and a case (50$).

I am not an expert when it comes to building PCs and any specific part i named can be replaced by the counterpart from intel/nvidia/amd and there are websites that can help you make sure parts are compatible. 

I didn't even know that you had to pay subscription for online play on consoles, so it may even be a cheaper option to go for PC as the 15$ monthly fee will pile up over the years and it will end up costing you the same amount yet consoles have weaker components so while companies make sure that developers optimize/make games for older devices, the same game will run better on PC but there are also releases like RF5, it was almost unplayable on nintendo switch while on PC it is much better.

2 hours ago, Wonky656 said:

PC VS consoles: why are there people who play on consoles? Simple, some consoles offer different comforts, resolution and above all, the price, so don't say the typical "ThEre are tHeN pLaY on PC" if you port a game it is to be enjoyed in another medium, not to be a faulty and bad version with which you will inevitably have to resort to the PC version

There are so many disadvantages to consoles that the few small benefits you just mentioned I don't believe that you can say that it is worth to buy a console today, would you rather have mods and be able to host the world without any lag no matter how many days you play and the updates are released first on PC, there's also beta testing.. I can literally write a book on why PC is superior to consoles just for DST.

Obviously I want for console users to have the best experience possible but you have to understand that it won't ever match PC gaming and you will be able to emulate a lot of the newer console games on PC in the near future.

36 minutes ago, 00petar00 said:

snip

I don't get what this has to do with adding geometric placement or any other popular QoL mod to the base game.

Btw consoles are casual, simple, and usually family/group oriented can they be better of course but I don't think that really matters in the grand scheme of the original forum topic of making both versions pc and console actually play the same like adding gesture wheel and quick drop to PC or adding geometric placement to the base game to help console players.

They can even add an option to allow server hosts to disable all mods including client side mods to anybody who joins just that server.

Such a change would probably be necessary if crossplay is ever actually considered. 

But I seriously doubt any console change will ever negatively impact PC players.

Anyways console players are like the Amish sometimes it's not about what's new or better it's about the way it's done.

On 1/31/2023 at 3:21 PM, Wonky656 said:

Exactly, some try to defend it by saying it's a survival game but come on, it's also sandbox and the games that are similar to it (Minecraft, Terraria) have a totally grid...

Chisel is to Minecraft what Geometric Placement is to Don't Starve.

15 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

You are always building on a grid in Don't Starve, too. It's just really small.

Well then what you said before doesn't mean anything because as you said you are "always" building on a grid so the mod is not turning off and on the grid

Klei updates the game on consoles so yes, they should be considered as decent ports, but they don't give an enjoyable experience.

The real problem is, can they? Yes, obviously they can and without so many complications... Do you know what are the updates that the community loves so much? QoL, what are they? Corrections to the game, which arrive on PC and consoles, the rest are only subjective opinions.

And those who say "but hey, it will always be better to play on PC" of course, tell that to someone who just wants to play and not be looking at thousands of stores for the best price of components, assembly and more with economic inflation. .. The other thing is to buy a laptop and any 2 RAMs run the game properly (I have a government laptop and it works great for me, but the switch is more comfortable "playing on the toilet lol" and above all because it has more general power that allows me to run other games that are bad for me on pc)... the game is not a damn GTA 5, God Of War Ragnarok, The Binding of Isaac Repentance is on switch and it goes quite well even with so many particles on the screen, there is nothing more to talk about in that area (Tboi is a indie Game)

On 2/1/2023 at 12:33 PM, Mike23Ua said:

(and in the end if that means better products and services for all platforms then by all means, please start getting monthly subscriptions too!)

What a horrible thing to want for the PC community. I would drop gaming alltogether if I had to start paying a monthly subscription to use Steam or other launchers.

1 hour ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

0:34 had me assume it would be built into the game

It must be said that none of the trailers for the Ports of Don't Starve are real, they are all made on PC... A practice that is too questionable, to be honest... It is clearly seen that he cultivated crops and left stones and more objects in a grid, something impossible on any version other than pc with mod

2 hours ago, Wonky656 said:

It must be said that none of the trailers for the Ports of Don't Starve are real, they are all made on PC... A practice that is too questionable, to be honest... It is clearly seen that he cultivated crops and left stones and more objects in a grid, something impossible on any version other than pc with mod

It is literally the Don't Starve Together 2021 Gameplay Trailer pasted with small edits like the person """""playing""""" it on switch.

Maybe a good compromise could be allowing use of the directional pad to move an unplaced structure along the grid (instead of the current free floating style) while in "placement mode". This wouldn't require the creation of the graphics seen in the PC mod (which obviously Klei didn't create) and would also allow for the control of placement that is the main concern of this issue as placement would become semi detached from movement. I think I mentioned in the thread earlier, tiny adjustments to placement would still be difficult even if we could see the grid due to how touchy movement can be on consoles.

1 hour ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

Maybe a good compromise could be allowing use of the directional pad to move an unplaced structure along the grid (instead of the current free floating style) while in "placement mode". This wouldn't require the creation of the graphics seen in the PC mod (which obviously Klei didn't create) and would also allow for the control of placement that is the main concern of this issue as placement would become semi detached from movement. I think I mentioned in the thread earlier, tiny adjustments to placement would still be difficult even if we could see the grid due to how touchy movement can be on consoles.

I totally agree, although it could also be that when one is going to place a structure the right stick works as a cursor and a grid is seen where it is moved, dropping objects in a grid should be something innate, it is horrible when you leave many objects in the floor (including pc) and then you want to pick up a specific one with so much mess.

23 minutes ago, Wonky656 said:

the right stick works as a cursor and a grid is seen where it is moved

The right stick could work as well, as long as you wouldn't be able to just hold it and have the unplaced structure scroll in that direction along the grid as that would still leave the issue of touchy controls. If the structure only moved one increment per stick push it would work good.

The only problem with a visible grid (as much as I'd like one) is Klei never actually implemented a visual grid (as I'm sure you know), and I feel like long ago I read that Klei preferred to not encroach on things that mods they approved of already accomplished. Again, I'd like a grid but I think greater control of placement is a more achievable expectation.

32 minutes ago, Wonky656 said:

and then you want to pick up a specific one with so much mess.

I agree with this as well. Klei could possibly implement a cycle button that allows you to cycle through nearby items/structures without needing to move your character.

4 hours ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

The right stick could work as well, as long as you wouldn't be able to just hold it and have the unplaced structure scroll in that direction along the grid as that would still leave the issue of touchy controls. If the structure only moved one increment per stick push it would work good.

The only problem with a visible grid (as much as I'd like one) is Klei never actually implemented a visual grid (as I'm sure you know), and I feel like long ago I read that Klei preferred to not encroach on things that mods they approved of already accomplished. Again, I'd like a grid but I think greater control of placement is a more achievable expectation.

I agree with this as well. Klei could possibly implement a cycle button that allows you to cycle through nearby items/structures without needing to move your character.

I agree with you on everything, although I differ a bit with the mods, on consoles I "use" the mod to activate the languages that are in the game, Gesture Wheel, Abigail's health meter and a couple more that I don't remember right now... They have done it and we have seen that they resumed Don't Starve Alone after years, maybe if they implement the much-needed and basic grid... In any case, I think we have to raise our voices in another way that comes to his ears... Let's also remember that at the time there was a Wormwood and Warly mod but Klei officially implemented them!

On 2/5/2023 at 6:13 PM, Wonky656 said:

Let's also remember that at the time there was a Wormwood and Warly mod but Klei officially implemented them!

Not to rain on your parade here, as I'm fully supporting your cause, but Warly and Wormwood didn't start off as mod characters.

2 hours ago, Starlogy said:

Not to rain on your parade here, as I'm fully supporting your cause, but Warly and Wormwood didn't start off as mod characters

I think there was a confusion xd, what happens is that in Together there were mods that implemented characters from Shipwrecked and Hamlet, but those of Warly and Wormwood were removed due to their official implementation, Warly was free and Wormwood paid for no apparent reason but meh... And thx!

Archived